Grafton - Park River

throughout the state

Re: Grafton - Park River

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:52 pm

LB22 wrote:There is one kid from Fordville, who played for park river when he was younger then didnt play for a couple years.... 5 kids from Grafton, and 1 from adams.

Thanks for the information. I am curious, earlier in this topic, someone posted that the GPR high school team cut maybe 20-30 kids this season. Is that true? And if it is true, how come more of them are not with the Walsh County team? Someone stated that sometimes kids do not show up for their games without any reason, wouldn't additional players force those kids to show up knowing that if they missed, they may lose their regular shift?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby LB22 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:13 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:Thanks for the information. I am curious, earlier in this topic, someone posted that the GPR high school team cut maybe 20-30 kids this season. Is that true? And if it is true, how come more of them are not with the Walsh County team? Someone stated that sometimes kids do not show up for their games without any reason, wouldn't additional players force those kids to show up knowing that if they missed, they may lose their regular shift?

No GPR didnt cut that many kids, im not quit sure how many but i think around 10-12 kids. The ones that really wanted to play hockey did go to Walsh County and the others didnt want to play hockey no more. I know in 2 cases tho the parents didnt want their kids being apart of Jr Gold hockey or apart or Park River Hockey, which is pathetic if you ask me.
LB22

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:45 pm

LB22 wrote:No GPR didnt cut that many kids, im not quit sure how many but i think around 10-12 kids. The ones that really wanted to play hockey did go to Walsh County and the others didnt want to play hockey no more. I know in 2 cases tho the parents didnt want their kids being apart of Jr Gold hockey or apart or Park River Hockey, which is pathetic if you ask me.

I agree. If a kid wants to play, the parents should back off and let them play. Those parents are still hoping Joey is going to play Division 1 hockey and that junior gold is a slap in the face to them.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeyman7 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Grafton only had to cut 4 people, and only 1 of them went to play JR. Gold. A couple others wanted to but the parents didn't want them to.
hockeyman7

Postby spoilers07 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm

baseball007 wrote:
LB22 wrote:
hockeyman7 wrote:I have seen it happen more than once that when someones kid isn't getting to play they go complain to the coach, the coach is worried about being disliked so he lets that kid play more. One of the best coaches that Grafton Park River had was Scott Robodiuex and he got fired because parents didn't like him because their kids didn't get to play. It wasn't just Grafton parents there was some Park River parents too. Scott was one of the smartest coaches I have ever seen and he coached his team like he should've and he payed for it in the end

Yes Scott was very good coach, but you got that backwards. He got fired because he played everyone, and the parents that thought that their kids should be out there more, were the ones who complained.

acutally you both got it backwards.....he resigned after two years, he didn't get fired.

Scott was not a good coach, although a very likable person. He coached to keep parents happy, which isn't possible because your always going to make someone mad. He ended up playing a lot of seniors that should have been cut, which directly related to how poorly his teams did. Scott was also the driving force behind GPR switching goalies half way through their 2002 championship. What kind of a good coach would pull a goalie who is playing very well? Grafton hockey is some what political, but every player who dresses varsity has earned their spot and deserves to be their.
spoilers07

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm not sure, but are there a lot of people volunteering to help coach hockey in Grafton? Or was it a case where he agreed to help out because someone asked him to, then he felt unappreciated and left?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby flyguy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:11 pm

demers best player in the state!
flyguy

Postby Former Spoiler Coach » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:00 pm

I coached in Grafton HS in the last few years and I can say for sure that not one kid was picked because of their last name. I was not from Grafton or North Dakota and myself and the coaching staff picked and played the kids for their work ethic and heart for the most part. Every one got the same shot. I in fact also was a coach in Park River, so if anything I pushed the kids that I knew from PR to do well. But everyone got a fair shake.
Former Spoiler Coach

Previous

Return to NDAHA