jamboyz

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby cdub1 » Thu May 03, 2007 3:53 pm

balla21 wrote:
brownbomber wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
baller01 wrote:The Bombers, I think that is there name, is an AAU team. They do go and play AAU tourneys. I believe they won the junior to be division in Whap. a couple weekends ago.

not only won but absolutely dominated it

yeah they are a solid group of kids on that team

who is all on that team

govig jacobs hanstad kielpinski morey balliet huber kessel randall

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu May 10, 2007 5:18 am

Do the Jam Boyz stick through the whole summer or do they just travel during the spring?  Coach May knows how to put together a winning combination.  It says alot if you are on the team. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby highrise » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:57 pm

jamboyz start at the 4th grade level to the 8th, by your nineth grade year you should be playing some aau ball somewhere. now he have a jamgirlz team (7) that is coming along. watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
highrise
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lightning » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:18 pm

my friend told me that the jammers went 3-1 in las vegas this weekend winning there pool.
lightning
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:59 pm

lightning wrote:my friend told me that the jammers went 3-1 in las vegas this weekend winning there pool.

jammers or jamboyz which one was it?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lightning » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:57 am

jammers
lightning
NDPreps Starter

Postby highrise » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:19 am

i like to congratulate the 8th grade jamboyz for taking second in the north american youth sports (nyas) chicago national 2007, jamboyz when 10 - 0 before losing by 4 in the championship game my hat off to

Chase Farkas

Michael Ford

Myles Montplaisir

Josh Rodenbiker

Brady Scwartz

Ben Hillebrand

Chad Ford

Kevin Olson

highrise
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hunterlaf » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:04 am

man we had this team beat at prarie rose but we lost by 8 points they were blowing everyone away during prarie rose by at least 30 to 35 points a game.
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: jamboyz

Postby highrise » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:50 am

the jamboyz must run a good program i see that most or all his players get to play early at the high school level. I see that south have 4 kids that played for him,north 5 west fargo 3 and counting, moorhead 1, so what does he do to get player ready for the high school level.
highrise
NDPreps Reserve

Re:

Postby Dynasty » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:46 am

highrise wrote:i like to congratulate the 8th grade jamboyz for taking second in the north american youth sports (nyas) chicago national 2007, jamboyz when 10 - 0 before losing by 4 in the championship game my hat off to

Chase Farkas

Michael Ford

Myles Montplaisir

Josh Rodenbiker

Brady Scwartz

Ben Hillebrand

Chad Ford

Kevin Olson

Has this team ever played the Mandan Mayhem? What was the score, who won?
Dynasty

Postby highrise » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:32 am

played out west lost by 1 without miles.(bigman)
highrise
NDPreps Reserve

Re:

Postby Nodak Guy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:22 pm

GFRR99 wrote:they have a good coach in john may and not only do the kids want to play for him, but the parents want their kids to be in a good program with a good coach. this has to be the best overall 4th-9th grade group

I was able to see them play a while back, and all May did was yell at his kids. Not much coaching invovled. Pretty much "shoot it", "Score it", "rebound". Plus, he was hard to understand. But, the players were talented, and pretty much ran a one pass and shoot the 3 offense.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Re:

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:22 am

Nodak Guy wrote:
GFRR99 wrote:they have a good coach in john may and not only do the kids want to play for him, but the parents want their kids to be in a good program with a good coach. this has to be the best overall 4th-9th grade group

I was able to see them play a while back, and all May did was yell at his kids. Not much coaching invovled. Pretty much "shoot it", "Score it", "rebound". Plus, he was hard to understand. But, the players were talented, and pretty much ran a one pass and shoot the 3 offense.

watched them played them may mus be a good coach or his teams wouldnt crush errybody and he iz ez to understand i dont know wut u tokkin about there

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby secondwind » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Jamboyz players from past have played early in hs because they have talent not because they were coached by May. They would have played sooner than most regardless because of talent level. Plenty of other talented players over the years have played earlier in their careers and had no association to Jamboyz.

Not hard to look good when you go and cherry pick kids from all over. Roll out the ball and let them play. Seems to know very little about x's & o's but talks a good game. Some of his younger boys/girls teams with average players are often awful. Gets rid of them and finds others that are better. Watch the Fargo South boys he had play defense....poor fundamentals.

Not a hater just stating what I hear from many others also. Props for all the time he puts in helping kids through basketball for that certainly is commendable.
secondwind
NDPreps Starter

Postby lookin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 am

Players develop their talent working with May because he is a great coach. Go to any tourney...where are other teams and coaches hanging out? Watching the Jamboyz play. Why do kids/parents want to play for May? because he is not only a good teacher, but a great mentor. He celebrates with the athletes when they make great plays, and pushes them to make better plays when they haven't made such a good choice on the court. He teaches the game. He loves the game and that's evident. WF, South, North, Moorhead, or RR coaches certainly aren't yippin that he's worked with their kids. If May was head coach at a school, I wonder how many open enrollments there'd be? :D
lookin
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bruins44 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Wow, lookin must be John May... I have watched him coach also, he does have talent on his teams, yells alot, no discipline, his teams talk back to refs and trash talk opponents. All school officials would have to do is watch one of his games and they would never never consider him for a coaching position at a school. His teams are good, but a parent could take the best players from the area and go win games at these tournaments... freelance basketball is not hard to coach.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BBall dominator » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Don't hate on May for gathering talent.I have caught some of a game. We dont' know how their practices are if they do practice(in my experiences we did maybe once a week). Just don't come on here and bash a guy how he handles his players all we see is the games. I've played on several traveling teams most of them loaded our coaches weren't very good just basically rolled the ball as stated before. i don't know if this is how he runs his team but it does make it easier to coach when your players are very very good.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby digger » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:44 pm

My son played for John and Pete Santiago back when John was just getting started in his basketball business, the teams at that time were called JustUs. For us it wasn't a good fit, didn't agree with the "win the tournament at all cost" mentality for youth basketball. The kids competed hard, but little time was spent on fundamentals (other than stressing using the bounce pass!) Beating your opponent by 50+ points just because you can, wasn't a lesson we wanted our son to learn. Don't bash the kids too much though, as is common with youth sports, it was the adults who caused any problems that arose. My son ended up having a very good high school experience in basketball and played in college so going a different route worked for him.
I'm not a big fan of alot of the traveling ball in general. Too much emphasis placed on "coaching" to win a 6th grade tournament, and not enough on "teaching" the game. North High has taken a great step with their Spartan youth basketball program. Kids are encouraged to play for the Spartan teams rather than go out and get on an "all-star" type team. If they can get good quality volunteer coaches I think this will pay big dividends for North in the future.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby King James » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 pm

i would love to have my kid play for a team when the coach wants to win and why not pound a team by 50 if you can.. be like the new england patriots who just build momentum for the next game
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Re:

Postby hankump25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:38 pm

ndbb wrote:big ups johnny may.

Not only is John May a good coach and mentor to the kids he works with, he is a class act. That goes further than anything else..Kids see that, fans see that, parents see that and officials see that. I have yet to meet an official or a parent who doesn't want to work a game of his or have their kid play for him. He is a guy who loves the game and basically breathes, sleeps and eats basketball. Good man indeed-
hankump25

Postby GFRR99 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:43 pm

can't figure out why people think john may is a bad coach. ya his teams have a lot of talented players, thats really easy to tell but from what ive seen he still got those "all star" players to work as a team and his teams never played selfishly. even with may, allard, herrman, and ishmail on his team they still all worked together.
his yelling is more of positive reinforcement and seems to pump up the players
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby hankump25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm

GFRR99 wrote:can't figure out why people think john may is a bad coach. ya his teams have a lot of talented players, thats really easy to tell but from what ive seen he still got those "all star" players to work as a team and his teams never played selfishly. even with may, allard, herrman, and ishmail on his team they still all worked together.
his yelling is more of positive reinforcement and seems to pump up the players

They think he is a bad coach because he yells at the kids and only gets talented players, like he doesn't teach them anything but to shoot and pass and rebound...Of course when a kid and/or parent knows firsthand there is a potential for success, more kids are going to sign up for him to coach them, therefore he has gotten to the point of having already talented, but need to be polished players perhaps.....His yelling is a part of his enthusiasm as a coach in seeing the kids do well. Every coach has their style, give the guy a break, he wears pink sometimes to these tourneys...lol.
hankump25

Postby GFRR99 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:16 pm

digger wrote:My son played for John and Pete Santiago back when John was just getting started in his basketball business, the teams at that time were called JustUs. For us it wasn't a good fit, didn't agree with the "win the tournament at all cost" mentality for youth basketball. The kids competed hard, but little time was spent on fundamentals (other than stressing using the bounce pass!) Beating your opponent by 50+ points just because you can, wasn't a lesson we wanted our son to learn. Don't bash the kids too much though, as is common with youth sports, it was the adults who caused any problems that arose. My son ended up having a very good high school experience in basketball and played in college so going a different route worked for him. I'm not a big fan of alot of the traveling ball in general. Too much emphasis placed on "coaching" to win a 6th grade tournament, and not enough on "teaching" the game. North High has taken a great step with their Spartan youth basketball program. Kids are encouraged to play for the Spartan teams rather than go out and get on an "all-star" type team. If they can get good quality volunteer coaches I think this will pay big dividends for North in the future.

im almost postive jordan may's team was the oldest. thatd make it kind of hard for your son to play for them and already be graduated..
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby lookin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: who 'lookin' is? No, not John himself. He's to humble to say good things about himself. His players, parents, other positive BB role models...yes, he talks them up and gives them a lot of support.
Re: his practices: Older boys---Dripping wet, conditioning WITH the ball and court movement patterns, smiling, having fun, pushing each other while working on fundamentals, fundamentals, and more. To watch him work with young children and see them begin to 'figure' court movement out with his guidance puts a smile on your face. And yes, he finds gyms and holds practices. He also invites kids he sees hanging at the Y to come play ball, helping kids at the dike in the summer, etc. This is NOT "picking the best kids throughout the state"! Hardly. Whoever shows up he works with. BTW: the talent that May, Schreiner, Savageau, demonstrate on the court proves he teaches fundamentals! He began working with them when they were in grade school. Can they handle the ball? HMMMM I'm thinking the majority of these posts says..."YES"!
lookin
NDPreps Rookie

Postby highrise » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:12 am

it's not his job to teach your kids play,that's high school coaches job. i had a chance to watch his 7th jamgirlz team play this past weekend a grade up to 8th, lost in 2 overtime to wf team, beat a good southside 8th grade team. these are the same girls that started from 4th grade with him.
highrise
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys