Top Jr gold players?

throughout the state

Top Jr gold players?

Postby hockeystar11 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:39 pm

So who do you guys think will be the top players this year for each team?
hockeystar11

Re: Top Jr gold players?

Postby AC-DC » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:30 pm

I can't say about the other teams, but Crosby will be led by its senior captains; Ben Johnson at center, Alex Power and Ryan Knudson on defense. Ben will probably be top goal scorer, but Alex and Ryan will get some as well. They also have a couple of unkowns this year with two exchange students. You may have seen or heard of Kurt Freisz, Slovakia, kicking field goals for Divide County. He skates and shoots better than he kicks. There's also Fred Isaakson from Sweden. He's a pond hockey player, but will be an asset to the team.
Their first game is Tuesday against Williston's JV. We'll see how they do, but I say Comets by 2.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeystar11 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm

well heres gonna be a few of this years big players

watford city- Ty skarda and that taylor kid.

crosby- one guy thats ben johnson.

may-port-has one guy that really stands out thats that tall number 11 i forget his name.

park river- darin kaste, the twins, jevin dahl

langdon- klingbeil, and otto

im not too sure about the grand forks and fargo teams

not sure about sydney either
hockeystar11

Postby Sportshound » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:52 pm

Fargo-- a kid that moved to fargo from Jamsetown a couple years ago and was a leader in pts in Jr. gold last year.
He is back--
Mark Laraway--- top player, i heard he made the F. south team and then let his spot go.
he was one of the leaders on that Jr. gold team that I saw last year.
I think he scorched the net a few times when we saw him play out here in the west last year.
he probably will do the same this year.

there is your case of Big City/Small town--
although grafton is small and they play in the HS league-- not Jr. gold league-- why is that??
history and they train their kids how to play hockey well.

enough said-- keep this thread going-- I know there are good players in J.gold... let's hear about them
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AC-DC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Sportshound wrote:there is your case of Big City/Small town--
although grafton is small and they play in the HS league-- not Jr. gold league-- why is that??
history and they train their kids how to play hockey well.

Isn't that a case of wether the school will sponsor a team or not? If the the school doesn't have the resources for a team, then a Jr Gold club team is the only option. The point about the big cities is they have both. It's not so much about training as it is about resources and population. Grafton has about twice the population of any Jr Gold town outside of Fargo and Grand Forks, except Sidney, Montana.
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeystar11 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:39 am

grafton do train there hockey players well.
look at the jrs this year.

i use to play bantams with cody boyle and he wasnt anything grand.
but now look at the kid he's top line on varsity.
hockeystar11

Postby AC-DC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:52 am

I didn't mean to imply that Grafton doesn't train their kids well or take anything from them. I wish them luck.

The point is, they're a High School team, not Jr Gold. Their school and community obviously place hockey as a priority for their resources. Smaller schools usually have to choose between hockey or basketball for winter sports. It's quite obvious, by the number of teams in the state, that basketball wins, probably because of cost. This also creates competition between the school basketball teams and hockey clubs for a limited player pool.

But, I digress from the top Jr Gold player topic. I'll maybe start another topic to continue my rant. Thanks for reading, it's good to see club hockey getting some interest.
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AC-DC » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:55 am

hockeystar11 wrote:well heres gonna be a few of this years big players

crosby- one guy thats ben johnson.

may-port-has one guy that really stands out thats that tall number 11 i forget his name.

park river- darin kaste, the twins, jevin dahl

langdon- klingbeil, and otto

im not too sure about the grand forks and fargo teams

not sure about sydney either

For Crosby you should add a couple of defensemen - Ryan Knudson and Cole Casteel
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeystar11 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:27 pm

nah..
hockeystar11

Postby dcs01 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:09 am

I would like to add a wing from langdon Ben Hoffarth he is on the same line as Otto and Klingbiel we should be seeing some great stuff from him this year
dcs01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeystar11 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:14 am

yea that kid has a great shot and seems to be a good thinker.
hockeystar11

Postby baseball11 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:55 pm

hockeystar11 wrote:well heres gonna be a few of this years big players

Adam Taylor? I believe he graduated.
baseball11

Postby hockeystar11 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 pm

i wasnt sure if he did or not..my bad.
hockeystar11

Postby #18 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Fargo has Mark Laraway, Dan Freeman, AJ Bates, Luke Seltdvet, and Mason Kennedy on there first line they are the top players if you dont think so try to make a line that will beat that with the whole state of junior gold players I watched them play this weekend and wow they looked impressive

for that skarda kid he only reached the score sheet twice in the fargo game and those were penalties

Postby hockeystar11 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:01 pm

are you trying to say skarda is a bad hockey player?
im sure he is better then anyone on that lin except for the fact the rest of his team isnt the best.
hockeystar11

Postby RedHotChiliPeppers » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:14 pm

Wow Ty Skarda is not even close to being the best player. Mark Laraway is no doubt the best player in the state. He would skate circles around Ty Skarda. Im not saying Ty is bad, but the only reason he was good last year were his linemates. Make sure you see everybody skate before you post.
RedHotChiliPeppers

Postby #18 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:39 pm

Skarda is horrible he takes penalties cause he gets mad when he cant score if he was good he could skate cicrles around some teams kinda like Laraway does this year and also last year ive played against him a lot... hes a class act and will work everybody in this league

Postby hockeystar11 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:44 pm

if laraway is so good why isnt he playin high school?
hockeystar11

Postby AC-DC » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 pm

hockeystar11 wrote:if laraway is so good why isnt he playin high school?

I think they call that a very good question!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AC-DC » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:53 pm

For Crosby you should add a couple of defensemen - Ryan Knudson and Cole Casteel

hockeystar11 wrote:nah..

Then you've never seen Cole rock somebody. The kid is solid on his skates. Although he's not that big, they just bounce off, with a head ache and some bruises for their effort.
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:15 pm

AC-DC wrote:

Who ever said Laraway did not make South High School?? He made the team and quit. He wanted to be with his friends that he has been with for the last 2 years on the Jr Gold team.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedHotChiliPeppers » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:28 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:
AC-DC wrote:

Who ever said Laraway did not make South High School?? He made the team and quit. He wanted to be with his friends that he has been with for the last 2 years on the Jr Gold team.

That is exactly right, Laraway did make the South High team but quit, he was projected to be on the second line from what I hear.
RedHotChiliPeppers

Postby hockeystar11 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:28 pm

its a heck of alot more fun play high school hockey.
and especially fargo south being a big contender for state champs...
u can hang out with friends after practice..
hockeystar11

Postby #18 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:33 pm

It is not fun to play when you dont play south plays two lines and thats it. It also not cool to play for bad coaches (South). They never have fun in practice

Postby mntwins05 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:51 pm

Agreed. Mark seems to be a class act, and i have heard less than stellar remarks coming from former and current players at south who don't like the kind of atmosphere where fun is at a minimum and skaters compete harder with each other for varsity spots than they do to beat other teams. I believe laraway is the best player in the state. I heard that fargo beat watford something like 10-0 last weekend. And mark was putting points all over the score sheet whereas ty skarda was just taking frustration penalties.
Ty is a good player but is not on mark's level. If you think mark shouldnt be considered the best because he is on a dominant team consider this, in professional sports, how often do you hear of the league MVP coming from a mediocre team? Im not trying to put down watford but thats what i see them as. And the precedent is set as such that the best player in the league should be able to not only score for his team but LEAD them. NO ONE IN THE STATE IS AS GOOD A LEADER AS LARAWAY. I admit that this may be a premature remark as i have only seen him play a few times, but honestly who could be better. If skarda was truly the best, he would be out there scoring goals in watfords big games, not taking penalties while mark laraway was skating all over the ice leading fargo to a double digit shotout victory.
mntwins05

Next

Return to NDAHA