Coaches from each region

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Coaches from each region

Postby Nodak Guy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:01 pm

We've heard about the best players from each region, now let's hear about the coaches. Which one's are the top of their class. Which one's put in the time. Who are some up-and-comer's that nobody knows about yet?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Coaches from each region

Postby basketballer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 pm

R/3- Dan Carr-Linton

Up and coming- i think Jason Horner-Napoleon/i am not sure but i think last yr. was his first yr. in Napoleon and they got 4th in the region.
basketballer

Postby BB11 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:00 am

Some guys that are up and comers that I think haven't received a lot of credit on these sites yet.

Region 2 - Shane Robinson - Midway-Minto
Region 4 - Brandy George - Adams-Edmore
Region 6- Kevin St. Claire - Dunseith
Region 7 - Rich Dufault - Killdeer - Not really an up and comer - but a very good coach nonetheless.
Region 8 - Randy Cranston - Watford City
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:41 am

BB11 wrote:Some guys that are up and comers that I think haven't received a lot of credit on these sites yet.

Region 2 - Shane Robinson - Midway-Minto
Region 4 - Brandy George - Adams-Edmore
Region 6- Kevin St. Claire - Dunseith
Region 7 - Rich Dufault - Killdeer - Not really an up and comer - but a very good coach nonetheless.
Region 8 - Randy Cranston - Watford City

Stacy Schaffer -
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:53 am

I think there are better coaches in region 7 than rich dufault....Grinsteiner and Butterfield for example...Gary Ballard of Bowman County is an excellent coach as well.
project-pat

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:35 am

Region 3:

Chad Lueck- L-M-M Rebels - First year coach last year who guided the Rebels to a Region berth last year.

Stacy Schaffer- BCN Bison- Brought the Bison to the state tourney in his first year.

Dan Carr- Linton Lions- excellent coach who always prepares his team to win.

Brent Kleinsasser- Strasburg-Zeeland Clippers- always seems to have a good team.

Brian Vance- Ellendale Cardinals- District 5 coach of the year last year.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby burtonman09 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:00 pm

Region 1- Steve Carnal.
burtonman09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:39 pm

project-pat wrote:I think there are better coaches in region 7 than rich dufault....Grinsteiner and Butterfield for example...Gary Ballard of Bowman County is an excellent coach as well.

Yes - I do realize there are other good coaches in that region like the ones you mentioned and Randy Johnson of Hazen as well - I just wanted to give Rich a little recognition, as he hasn't been mentioned before - and I believe he does a very good job.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:54 pm

to the people who say Stacey Schaffer I have to say i disagree. last year what he did was tell the kids to get the ball to Sizer and play through him. the team just got hot at the right time of the year. if he is this good you should look to see what he did while coaching WTPR. had argueably the most talented team in the District in '06 and failed to make regionals. see what these teams do without a stud and then go with it. see how he does without Sizer. like last year, Steele was what 20-2? i believe, Olsen was never brought up on the site as a great coach because he had Bakkum on the team. same with Schaffer and Sizer. very easy to coach when there is a star on the court, it takes a good coach to succeed with just an average team.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby lisbon bronco fan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Kim Mark from Lisbon has a good team every year and has over 300 career wins
lisbon bronco fan

Postby cubsfan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:23 pm

lisbon bronco fan wrote:Kim Mark from Lisbon has a good team every year and has over 300 career wins

They always seem to have a good regular season but seem to choke when the pressure is on. I think some of there inability to win the big game has to be put on the coach.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:29 pm

baseball wrote:to the people who say Stacey Schaffer I have to say i disagree. last year what he did was tell the kids to get the ball to Sizer and play through him. the team just got hot at the right time of the year. if he is this good you should look to see what he did while coaching WTPR. had argueably the most talented team in the District in '06 and failed to make regionals. see what these teams do without a stud and then go with it. see how he does without Sizer. like last year, Steele was what 20-2? i believe, Olsen was never brought up on the site as a great coach because he had Bakkum on the team. same with Schaffer and Sizer. very easy to coach when there is a star on the court, it takes a good coach to succeed with just an average team.

He is one of the eight coaches that took their teams to state. He did something right. He at least got them to play together.
PA42

Postby baseball » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:34 pm

horne98 wrote:
baseball wrote:to the people who say Stacey Schaffer I have to say i disagree. last year what he did was tell the kids to get the ball to Sizer and play through him. the team just got hot at the right time of the year. if he is this good you should look to see what he did while coaching WTPR. had argueably the most talented team in the District in '06 and failed to make regionals. see what these teams do without a stud and then go with it. see how he does without Sizer. like last year, Steele was what 20-2? i believe, Olsen was never brought up on the site as a great coach because he had Bakkum on the team. same with Schaffer and Sizer. very easy to coach when there is a star on the court, it takes a good coach to succeed with just an average team.

He is one of the eight coaches that took their teams to state. He did something right. He at least got them to play together.

getting kids to play together is probalby his weakest point...back to the WTPR days and why he got fired...hes not bad with the X's and O's but its going to be interesting to see what he can do this year
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:48 pm

hoopsstar2391 wrote:Region 3:

Chad Lueck- L-M-M Rebels - First year coach last year who guided the Rebels to a Region berth last year.

Stacy Schaffer- BCN Bison- Brought the Bison to the state tourney in his first year.

Brent Kleinsasser- Strasburg-Zeeland Clippers- always seems to have a good team.

i don't think he has made it out of the first round of regions for a while. if not ever.
basketballer

Postby basketballer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:52 pm

hoopsstar2391 wrote:Region 3:

Oh yea, I forgot about him. He is a really good coach who's players really seem to like him. It will be interesting to see how he does in teh years to come.
basketballer

Postby classb_fan00 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:58 pm

Duke Larson from PBK does a nice job.
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:20 pm

Cooter Symington from North Border is a great coach. Since 2000 North Border has finished as follows:
2007 - 3rd in State
2006 - 2nd in Region 2
2005 - 2nd in Region 2
2004 - 4th in Region 2
2003 - Lost in first round of regionals
2002 - 4th in Region 2
2001 - State Champs
2000 - 2nd in Region 2

Cooter is a great coach when it comes to game planning. He always has a great strategy for each team we play and puts his team into great positions to win.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tu-Big » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:21 pm

project-pat wrote:I think there are better coaches in region 7 than rich dufault....Grinsteiner and Butterfield for example...Gary Ballard of Bowman County is an excellent coach as well.

How can you say Gary Ballard? He hasnt even coached a game at Bowman yet, they could go 5-15 this year for all we know.
Tu-Big

Postby project-pat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:23 pm

Tu-Big wrote:

How can you say Gary Ballard? He hasnt even coached a game at Bowman yet, they could go 5-15 this year for all we know.

He's taken numerous teams to state for both guys and girls...and helped take a bowman girls team to state last year...he has a good chance to win coach of the year next year, but I think it'll come down to Dufault, Grinsteiner, or Butterfield.
project-pat

Postby Tu-Big » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:24 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Cooter Symington from North Border is a great coach. Since 2000 North Border has finished as follows:
2007 - 3rd in State
2006 - 2nd in Region 2
2005 - 2nd in Region 2
2004 - 4th in Region 2
2002 - 4th in Region 2
2001 - State Champs
2000 - 2nd in Region 2

Cooter is a great coach when it comes to game planning. He always has a great strategy for each team we play and puts his team into great positions to win.

Wow...talk about a guy who wins. Didnt realize North Border had been in state or very close the last 7-8 years, impressive.
Tu-Big

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:44 am

Tu-Big wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Cooter Symington from North Border is a great coach. Since 2000 North Border has finished as follows:
2007 - 3rd in State
2006 - 2nd in Region 2
2005 - 2nd in Region 2
2004 - 4th in Region 2
2002 - 4th in Region 2
2001 - State Champs
2000 - 2nd in Region 2

Wow...talk about a guy who wins. Didnt realize North Border had been in state or very close the last 7-8 years, impressive.

You've got that right, I think since Cooter took over as head coach at North Border we've missed regionals once, maybe twice.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BBall dominator » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:08 am

Mike Dwyer Shiloh Christian has been to state 4 out of the last 5 years and 6 overall trips to the state tournament and has over 200 wins.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 am

I think Cooter does an excellent job getting his kids ready. It does seem no matter the talent level his teams are always in the thick of things during the region tournament. And that is a credit to the coach.
PA42

Postby Tu-Big » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:33 pm

BBall dominator wrote:Mike Dwyer Shiloh Christian has been to state 4 out of the last 5 years and 6 overall trips to the state tournament and has over 200 wins.

Shiloh is in one of the weakest regions in the state, which is one of the factors that contributes to their success. What has Shiloh placed at the state tournaments that they have played in?
Tu-Big

Postby baller01 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Tu-Big wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:Mike Dwyer Shiloh Christian has been to state 4 out of the last 5 years and 6 overall trips to the state tournament and has over 200 wins.

Shiloh is in one of the weakest regions in the state, which is one of the factors that contributes to their success. What has Shiloh placed at the state tournaments that they have played in?

No, no, no. Dwyer deserves credit as a head coach. He would win in every region. You can't say he wins because he is in a weak region or because he "recruits". Mike Dwyer gives his team a chance to win just as good as any of the best coaches in the state.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys