Greetings from Florida!!

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bravecoach » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:20 pm

I am the head coach of a 6A team in Florida, but I started my coaching career at Mandan High School and also played for the Braves in High School.  I have really tried to follow ND football as much as possible, but it is tough being in FL.  I will say this however-- The local media outlets in ND do an excellent job of promoting High School athletics.  You should really appreciate what you have! 

This is a great board and I enjoy reading about the great high school athletics in ND!!  For those of you on this board that are still athletes, cherish these times.  They will be some of the best times of your life!!
bravecoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby point/center » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:33 am

welcome to ND Preps
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:21 am

Hi!

It's great to hear from a displaced North Dakotan.  ;)   It makes me proud to know that we are giving a lot of people like yourself an opportunity to keep tabs on whats happening back at home.   Hopefully there are many more who will take the time to register and let us know where they are located.

Just curious bravecoach where you might have done your ungrad studies? 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bravecoach » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:03 pm

i am a marauder
bravecoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby MinotBison » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 pm

bravecoach wrote:I am the head coach of a 6A team in Florida, but I started my coaching career at Mandan High School and also played for the Braves in High School.  I have really tried to follow ND football as much as possible, but it is tough being in FL.  I will say this however-- The local media outlets in ND do an excellent job of promoting High School athletics.  You should really appreciate what you have! 

This is a great board and I enjoy reading about the great high school athletics in ND!!  For those of you on this board that are still athletes, cherish these times.  They will be some of the best times of your life!!

Just out of curiosity, what would the enrollment be for a 6A school down there?  My ex-brother in law is a FB ref in division 5A down in Texas, where schools are (I think) 2,500 and up.

Also, North Dakota State U. has a player on its roster from a Boca Ciega HS in  St. Petersburg.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby bravecoach » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:30 pm

Generally 6A is 2400 and up.  However most 6a schools are over 3000 and many are over 4000. Our school for example started at 2700, then went to 3400 in two years, and in 2 years since is back down to 2900.  The schools have more of a transient population, so fluxuation is pretty normal at most big schools.

It is pretty comprable with Texas in size.

I love coaching the athletes in Florida, they are second to none.  I have 5 legitimate DI prospects, and that is low for a 6A school.  2 have been offered, 3 are only going to be juniors.
bravecoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby MinotBison » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:39 pm

bravecoach wrote:Generally 6A is 2400 and up.  However most 6a schools are over 3000 and many are over 4000. Our school for example started at 2700, then went to 3400 in two years, and in 2 years since is back down to 2900.  The schools have more of a transient population, so fluxuation is pretty normal at most big schools.

It is pretty comprable with Texas in size.

I love coaching the athletes in Florida, they are second to none.  I have 5 legitimate DI prospects, and that is low for a 6A school.  2 have been offered, 3 are only going to be juniors.
Is the regular season ten games?  And once playoffs start, how many teams are there in each division (6A, 5A, etc)?  In Texas, there are 64.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby power-aid14 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:30 pm

sir you are not welcome.....unless you admit that 6A isnt as good as 9-man.  thank you
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bravecoach » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:46 pm

I love 9 man.  i actually tried to schedule a game against Glen Ullin, but they didn't go for it!!
bravecoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby smsaints » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:24 pm

I was wondering what you guys do in the off season as far as weightlifting and get reps with the receivers and qbs ...... Do you guys play 7 on 7 alot or what
smsaints
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bravecoach » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:07 pm

Well first thing, we have spring ball for 15 practices in May, and we also play a spring game.  You can either play a regular game vs. one team, or a play in a 3 team jamboree.  We don't play the jamboree.

Our offseason varies. Most of our football players only play football, 2 play baseball, 3 or 4 basketball, so our kids are expected in the weightroom every day that we lift. We lift generally monday, tuesday, thursday, friday.  In march and april we do "speed camp" 3 times a week after our lifts leading up to spring practice, and then pick that up again in june and july.

We don't do much work with our receivers/qbs in the offseason.  It is illegal for a coach to be coaching "football specific" skills during the offseason.  We can work speed, weights, agility, etc.  We encourage our kids do to do that on their own, but it isn't a huge concern for us.
bravecoach
NDPreps Rookie

Postby smsaints » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:17 pm

In your opinion what does it take to be a college qb.   What have you heard that colleges look at in kids.
smsaints
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:27 pm

Oregon used to have a prototype they looked for. 

6'3" or taller

4.7  40 or faster

arm strength(snap) and mechanically sound (they didn't want to waste time teaching kids to throw)
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Re: Greetings from Florida!!

Postby NDSUbisonfan4723 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:19 am

Do you think that Josh Horner who was probabily the best back in North Dakota would be able to see any time at your school. He had 1,851 yards and 28 touchdowns on 153 carries. he led his 3A Fargo South Bruins to a 12-0 season and a state championship. He will be attending North Dakota State University witch are in the gateway conference and are a decent sized school. Just wanted to no what you thought.
keys to coaching
1) Surround yorself with people who can't live without football
2) Recognize winners. They come in all forms
3) Have a plan for everything

"Don't give up at halftime. COncentrate on winning the second half"

"When you can't score from the 1, you don't deserve to win"
NDSUbisonfan4723
NDPreps Starter

Re: Greetings from Florida!!

Postby Hunterlaf » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 pm

so coach how is ur football team doin??
Hunterlaf