Best team

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:17 pm

[user=17]Wombat[/user] wrote:
SWsportsfan wrote:One word, ZERO.

That's how many points the first team defense for the Titans allowed all of 2001. I highly doubt the Tornadoes could have scored more than once if at all on that team. Cavalier allowed points, Trinity didn't.

Having spoken with some of the guys from that 2003 Cavalier team, they're great guys and great players, but even they are willing to admit that it wouldn't happen.

I was a senior on that Cavalier team. We watched an interview from a Trinity coach on the news the week leading up to the State Championship game and he said "They might get a few points against us but our offense is way too explosive, we will score at will anytime we get the ball." Final Score- Cavalier 18, Trinity 0.

Don't get me wrong, I am not coming on here to make bold statements that we would have crushed them or anything like that, but I will say that I think it would have been a heck of a game, and I am definately not one of those people who would have admitted they would have beat us. That '01 Trinity team beat cavalier 41-0 in the playoffs so I know firsthand how good of a team they were. But I also know that our '03 team was completely on another level of that team in just about every way.

To throw a few more stats out there...
Cavalier outscored opponents 526/48 (avg. 43.8/4). 6 Shutouts.

It would have been worth the price of admission to see, that's for sure

Mitch it was the 2000 Trinity team that beat us 41-0 in the playoffs. The 01' Trinity team would have been your Junior season.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:51 pm

My mistake, I was going by the year of graduation... I guess then that I was a part of the 2002 Cavalier team that I listed statisics for. But the seniors from that team graduated in the spring of '03.

Quarterback: Tim Oksendahl- All-State (first of 3 times, 2004 AA player of the year, over 1000 yds passing, not sure on exact statistics, Signed at UND and now is at VCSU)

Runningbacks: Alan Sundby- All-State (2002 AA Player of the year 2100 yds ), Jarred Trosen (600 yds), Todd McFadden (400 yds)

Fullback: Ryan Siegle (I'm fairly sure he was All-state, Signed at Concordia)

OL: (Averaged about 235 Lbs) John McCurdy 3XAll-State, (Had many offers but didn't play anywhere, played Rugby at UND), Mitch Greenwood All-State (Wrestled 1 year at MSUM, Played football 1 year at Mayville State) Nick Baker All-State Wayne Samson 3XAll-State (Played at Concordia 2-3 seasons) Nick Heuchert All-Region that year, may have been all-state the next I don't remember for sure

TEs- Kyle Switzer and Ryan Olson

WR's- Brady Treanbeth 3Xall-state I believe, (2003 AA player of the year, Also Class B basketball POY, Signed at UND for football and baseball) Luke Ermer

DE's- McCurdy and Olson (17 sacks that season, holds school record for career sacks)

DL- Samson, Baker (18 Sacks that season), and Greenwood

MLB- Sundby and Matt Anderson (2005 Class A Player of the Year, Signed and NDSU)

OLB- Treanbeth and Siegle

DB's- Jarred Trosen (All-Region for sure, maybe all-state), Craig Anderson, Matt Anderson, Dustin Doyle (again, can't remember if he was all-state, but all-region for sure)

This team had 4 players who won POY, 11 All-Region players and 7-8 All-State players.
Last edited by Wombat on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:45 pm

dickinson trinity in 01 was the most dominating team this state has seen. 

they had 60-0 leads at halftime and would bench the starters for the 2nd half...i believe they only gave up 2 TD's the entire season.  that is ridiculous, even for class B football  :P

cavalier doesnt even come close.  The minot ryan team with essler was amazing, (or the essler team with minot ryan, however you want to look at it) and fun to watch.

dickinsons 97 title team was not the best ever, but they were also fun to watch with jason moore and co.

I still remember watching brooks bollinger with grand forks also, boy was he something.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:59 pm

[user=3653]i_see_it_all[/user] wrote:
dickinson trinity in 01 was the most dominating team this state has seen. 

they had 60-0 leads at halftime and would bench the starters for the 2nd half...i believe they only gave up 2 TD's the entire season.  that is ridiculous, even for class B football  :P

cavalier doesnt even come close.  The minot ryan team with essler was amazing, (or the essler team with minot ryan, however you want to look at it) and fun to watch.

dickinsons 97 title team was not the best ever, but they were also fun to watch with jason moore and co.

I still remember watching brooks bollinger with grand forks also, boy was he something.

That Minot Team was good, but not great. Yes Essler was no doubt a stud. Watford Citys 98 squad was easily better then that Minot Ryan team and I would say maybe better then the Trinity team of 2000-2001. You saying cavalier doesn't come close makes me wonder how many games you got to see them play? But it don't matter you have the right to that opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby i_see_it_all » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:01 pm

i agree bout the ryan team, good not great, i just liked watching essler be a 1 man wrecking crew.

watford in 98, i forgot bout them. still no match to the 01 titans.  in fact, i thought the 98 titan team was better than watford that year, but i suppose thats why they play the games :D (titans lost by an inch to them)
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby busch3434 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:27 pm

ndfan wrote:I would say Richland is one of the best 9-man teams, but they wouldnt stand a chance against any of those teams i had listed. But there definately a great 9-man team.

Ok, now I get to throw in a wrench......what about the Wyndmere-Lidgerwood team what won state in '93.  THEY were a team to watch.  First taking out a very tough Hankinson team with less than a minute left.....oh, and also defeating an undefeated team for the title, who had won the year before.  Granted, I've played against that Richland team, they were very talented, quick and weren't afraid to lay out and hit somebody.  But that Dan Hodgson team of that hit and hit every play, watching film when they were on the defensive side of the ball, there were no less than 7 guys around the football when the ball carrier was taken down.  They had a tight-end who it was just put the ball up and he went and got it, very highly recruited kid but he went into the service.  2 tail backs that had both size and speed and hit like a brick house when you met them.  They were a fun team to watch, and played the game hard every down, because that coach expected nothing less and he had their respect.  Not saying Sheehan didn't, taking a program and turning it into a state contender in 3 years is a great feat to have conquered and the guy has my respect for it.  But I have to say that '93 team would have to be one of the top 4 or 5 in the state.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby AAfootballfan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:50 pm

i_see_it_all wrote:i agree bout the ryan team, good not great, i just liked watching essler be a 1 man wrecking crew.

watford in 98, i forgot bout them. still no match to the 01 titans.  in fact, i thought the 98 titan team was better than watford that year, but i suppose thats why they play the games :D (titans lost by an inch to them)

You are wrong in "1997" the Titans lost to the Wolves by an inch on a failed 2-point conversion which was in the state semi-finals which Watford ended up losing in the title game to Minot Ryan. In the fall of "1998" the two games between the Titans and Wolves were not even close at all with the Wolves winning 40-7 in the regular season and 42-12 in the state semi-finals so I wouldn't say the Titans were better than WC that year. The 98 wolves were not even touched all year! It would be a great game between the 01 Titans and the wolves from that year...who knows would win that game??
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Football