Best team

Postby bruins44 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:05 pm

I think that this years Fargo South team has to be considered one of if not the best team ever... look at their scores, they dominated every game!!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby andy_7 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:55 pm

Batman wrote:Based on these scores Richland County this past year was right up there too.

i dont know about best of all time, i would be willing to bet that the new rockford teams that made it 2 state back 2 back would have beat them.  If you had enough althletes you could defend them. They really didn't shock me with talent when i played them in semi's.
andy_7

Postby fb_fan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:26 am

The Richland team was very good. I wouldn't say the best high school team ever, but they were good last year. As for not shocking you with talent, if I am not mistaken, they did beat you and from what I heard it was a physical game and they wore you guys down in that game. That to me shows how good that team was, they fought the whole game, came from behind and won. Must have been some talent there!
fb_fan

Postby rep » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:10 am

i disagree with richland being physical

i was at the napoleon/richland game last year and afterwards grabbed a cup of chilli in the school. there were some of the napoleon players talking about the game and from everything i gathered from what they were saying, richland didn't come out and hit them, but every tackle was fundamentally solid and they wrapped up.

so while they weren't big hitters, they got you down and you weren't going to break many tackles.

seemed like that fit with what i saw in that game anyway.
rep

Postby radar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:40 pm

Tiger Pride wrote:Just to clarify, Tigers won state in 88 and moved up to 11-man in 89 went to the play-offs and got beat by a good Linton team.

who did the tigers beat in 88 and what was the score
radar
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsperson » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:36 pm

I've been watching 9-man football for quite some time and I can honestly say that last year's Richland team was one of the best 9-man teams I've ever seen if not the best.  Speed and quickness will take you anywhere you want to go in 9-man and they had it in abundance.  Their only weakness was probably their size and they overcame that with quickness and technique.  When they were clicking offensively they were nearly impossible to stop and on defense they tackled well and pursued relentlessly.  They were an impressive team to watch.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:29 am

I'll take the 1994 Edgeley Kulm Rebels.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:34 am

The Tigers beat Page-Hope-Clifford-Galesburg 36-33 after being down 24-8 at the end of the first quarter
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:41 am

was that the team with the QB and painted orange shoes?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:18 am

Yep, that idiot stunk up the locker room with permenant marker every game.  He would be jailed for having an illegal inhalant in the locker if he were still around.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby andy_7 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:23 pm

fb_fan wrote:The Richland team was very good. I wouldn't say the best high school team ever, but they were good last year. As for not shocking you with talent, if I am not mistaken, they did beat you and from what I heard it was a physical game and they wore you guys down in that game. That to me shows how good that team was, they fought the whole game, came from behind and won. Must have been some talent there!

what i was trying 2 get at was that they didnt shock me with overwelming talent. i know that they beat us, i was the kid who dropped the kickoff with 2 min left.  i was just saying that there must have been teams out there with so much talent they must have teams wide eyed because of there talent. there had to be teams that just blew everyone out of the water.  thats just wat i was sayin.  i wasnt disrespecting them in anyway, they were one of the classiest teams ive ever played against.  if they are the best 9-man team im glad i played against them.  its a big honor.
Last edited by andy_7 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy_7

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:12 am

Most of the teams mentioned are very recent memory. and some no doubt are in the Top ten.

It would be interesting for someone to come up with the best Shanley team of all time. That would probably be the best ND team.

West Fargo impressed the heck out of me during their run. They smoked Dressler and company in the state championship.

I would not want to pick the best team between Cavalier, Velva, Watford, and Stanley. over the years.

9-man, the best team ever was the 1981 Hope Hustlers hands down. End of discussion. Anyone who saw them play or played against them would agree.

Germanson, Mcbain, Ihry, had chunks of guys like Griffith, Erbes and Breuer in their stool.

Linton had some great 9-man teams but they should have, they had 60 kids out for football.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:28 am

Richland was not physical???  You don't manhandle THAT Napoleon team without some physicality.  If I remember right - one of Napoleon's scores was on a half-back option pass.   Actually Richland's two biggest kids were 285 and 250 and they were probably the least physical kids on the team that played. 

Andy 7, how did the running game go for Tri-County in the Semi's?  If I remember right your own coach said that you couldn't get the running game going because of Richlands physicality.  I think your not giving your team enough credit along with Richland.  Tri-County easily had the second best team in 9 man that year.

Richland's biggest problem in comparing them to teams like 81 Hope is that those were different times.  The football season was longer, meaning worse weather and no indoor championship games.  I'm guessing that if Richlands staff had to go later in to November they would probably have to change up their offense a bit.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby tommykramer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:35 am

Oh and Gridiron Guru - I actually thought that you had some insight into football.  Either your stuck in the past or you really don't know what was going on.  Ask any kid that played against Dustin Erbes and they'll tell you the kid hit you like a ton of bricks.  Maybe some of the other kids from Tri-County could tell you as they rolled around the ground after an Erbes hit.  If your name is not Lee Kelm than I definately disagree with you on your earlier comments.  You might not even say it was the best team Hope had, the championship team they had with Mike Jacobsen was pretty darn good as well.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:39 am

No doubt Richland had one of the best 9-man teams in recent memory they just won it last year, its fresh in our minds, every state championship team is outstanding, anyone who has made the 9-man playoffs knows how difficult it is to win a state championship, but if we are talking all time greatest teams we have to look to the past.

I have insight on football and hindsight, ask someone from Hope who the best championship team from that town was.

Do you know Brad Germanson?  did you see him play? I did, and played against him,  I also saw Mike Jacobsen play and coached against that team in the playoffs.

There are teams who won state championships who had Gobs of talent but were not as well coached as Richland. They were simply bigger faster and stronger than everyone they played but may not have looked as impressive as Richland did.

Obviously this is my personal opinion but I saw both teams play and I think in my mind if these two teams played each other who would prevail, One thing that I can't get out of my mind was the drubbing we took from Hope in 1981 we lost 68-0.

By the way I was just trying to be funny with the chuncks in the stool comment.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby homer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:16 am

68-0 is that with the starters in most of the game? dont know how many minutes the starters played for richland that year but im guessing it was close to half ofwhat they could have. most of the games were over by halftime so there was no running up the scores like some teams like to do thinking that it will impress someone. I think all of those kids would rather have knocked you down than go around you and offense is what everyone looked at the defense is what kept them  on the field.
homer

Postby SWsportsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:33 am

What about the 2001 Titans? 14 points scored on them all year, against the second/third string. Totally dominated all they faced.
SWsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 pm

[user=2793]SWsportsfan[/user] wrote:
What about the 2001 Titans? 14 points scored on them all year, against the second/third string. Totally dominated all they faced.

Which would you say was the better Trinity team the 2000 or 2001 team???
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby SWsportsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:29 am

Hands down 2001. I've had people tell me that one AA coach in particular sat his players down at the beginning of the season to tell them that everyone else was playing for second because there was no way anyone was beating the Titans. I mean 14 points ALL YEAR, that's ridiculous. The margin of victory would have been even more insane if the starters had played past the first half in most games.
Last edited by SWsportsfan on Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heelsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:52 am

I will go with the 1989 Beulah Miners.  They didn't lose a game and I believe they didn't have more than 14 points scored on them in a game either.
heelsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:09 am

I agree with SW on this one... The two scores they gave up all year were a fluke TD pass against Belcourt against 2nd and 3rd teamers and the second score came in the State Championship game when they were up 48-0 and the Third team QB fumbled and Hazen returned it to the 2 yard line... Hazen then called a time out so they could put their starters back in against the Trinity 3rd team defense.  Many of the Hazen starters already had their pads off!

In the end though I think it would be intelligent to set era guidelines on a question like this. While some would argue the greatest teams of today could play with the greatest teams of 30 years ago I disagree... Its a completely different game and its played a different way...

But regardless of that I don't believe there has ever been a team that has dominated North Dakota football in its class over the course of one year like the 2001 Titans. They made every team they played look like they were the "Pink" St. Anthony's 4th Grade Flag Football team that played that same year in Dickinson.

Some will bring up the Cavailer teams from the 3 years after 2001, I agree they were great teams but never dominated quite to the extent of the 2001 Titans... Heck if the Titans had made a couple of plays the few times they played them in those years Cavailer wouldn't have won three straight... But then again "If ifs and buts were wishes and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas!" so I give the Tornadoes credit for what they did... BUT There was never any doubt with the 2001 Titan team.
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:37 pm

I'd just love to see that 01 trinity and 03' Tornadoes team play it would be a heck of a game I think. I have a lot of respect unlike a lot of people on here for Trinity's program which is one of the best in the state. I think that Cavalier team had weapons that could give Trinity some problems as the same for Trinity giving the Tornadoes some problems. Two great programs, neither can deny that.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby SWsportsfan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:38 am

One word, ZERO.

That's how many points the first team defense for the Titans allowed all of 2001. I highly doubt the Tornadoes could have scored more than once if at all on that team. Cavalier allowed points, Trinity didn't.

Having spoken with some of the guys from that 2003 Cavalier team, they're great guys and great players, but even they are willing to admit that it wouldn't happen.
Last edited by SWsportsfan on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wombat » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:37 pm

SWsportsfan wrote:One word, ZERO.

That's how many points the first team defense for the Titans allowed all of 2001. I highly doubt the Tornadoes could have scored more than once if at all on that team. Cavalier allowed points, Trinity didn't.

Having spoken with some of the guys from that 2003 Cavalier team, they're great guys and great players, but even they are willing to admit that it wouldn't happen.

I was a senior on that Cavalier team. We watched an interview from a Trinity coach on the news the week leading up to the State Championship game and he said "They might get a few points against us but our offense is way too explosive, we will score at will anytime we get the ball." Final Score- Cavalier 18, Trinity 0.

Don't get me wrong, I am not coming on here to make bold statements that we would have crushed them or anything like that, but I will say that I think it would have been a heck of a game, and I am definately not one of those people who would have admitted they would have beat us. That '01 Trinity team beat cavalier 41-0 in the playoffs so I know firsthand how good of a team they were. But I also know that our '03 team was completely on another level of that team in just about every way.

To throw a few more stats out there...
Cavalier outscored opponents 526/48 (avg. 43.8/4). 6 Shutouts.

It would have been worth the price of admission to see, that's for sure
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Larrylegend33 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:02 am

There is no way that a Trinity coach, or any football coach, uttered that quote in a TV interview.
Larrylegend33
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Football