ND broadcasters

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:59 pm

Tiger Pride wrote:Cunningham is in a league of his own.

what do you mean by a league of his own? I've heard him do DAC football and basketball. Class A and B basketball. And just about any football game around
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby marchmadness10 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:04 am

lee timmerman-tv broadcaster

rod kleinjan-radio

marchmadness10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:01 pm

Lee Timmerman and John Cole
project-pat

Postby point/center » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:02 pm

For some reason Jonny Cole really has carved his own niche in ND. He's got his own style and attitude, and is very very knowledgeable about ND sports history and anysports happening in the northwest 1/3 of the state.

No offense and not naming names, but he isnt just a cookie cutter broadcaster. Sure LT and Scott Peters call a nice game together, but Jon Cole steals the show. None of the younger guy's will remember Jim Adelson, but he had his own flair to the game and it kept you interested even if the game was a yawner.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:46 pm

LT and Cole are the Brad Nessler and dude Vitale of Class B basketball.
project-pat

Postby allsport » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:43 pm

Notorious wrote:Anyone remember Rog Higgens?  It was fun to listen to him.

Yes, I do. He was very entertaining.
allsport
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:40 pm

cole is arguably the nicest guy i've ever met...really makes you feel at ease when you talk to him. i met him at one of the meetings i was at, not knowing a soul and he talked with me like he'd known me for years.

class act, definately a good guy and very knowledgeable about sports and their historical relevance. even if he doesn't think larry bird should be in the hof.  
rep

Postby Wildcat » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:51 pm

cityleaguer wrote:I think Rod Kleinjan for KDIX in Dickinson does a great job. Always seems to know what he's talking about, never pauses for names or numbers of players, and has been credited for his unbiased approach to broadcasting, which makes opposing teams more comfortable while listening IMO.

You should see his football picks in the Dickinson newspaper. Haha, They're totally biased. He's a homer with his picks, but is an excellent broadcaster and is unbiased on the air.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nd-ball41 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:19 pm

Dean Kraft of Jamestown has one of the best radio announcing voices I have ever heard.
nd-ball41

Re: ND broadcasters

Postby gobison44 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Lee Timmerman and Dan Hammer were very good on tv. Scott Peters is not good. I wish they could bring Hammer back for the Class B
gobison44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Holes » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:30 am

I worked with most of the TV guys in the 80's and 90's. For basketball, Hammer and Timmerman were the best two as to preparation, on air delivery, camaraderie and able to ad-lib in any situation. Higgins was knowledgeable but didn't play well with others. Hockey, hands down, Hammer and Tim O'Keefe.

You know who worked hard, knew what he was doing but looked a little too goofy for TV? Rob Meltzer.
Holes

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:09 am

I am going to 2nd Mark Biggley. The guy who does WSC sports does a great job as well, but I catch Mark Biggley once in a while and that guy really does a great job whether it is Devils Lake hockey, Class B tournament at the sportscenter, or LRSC men's and women's games.

Too bad the guy is a Packer's fan though. :mrgreen:

I would have to say my favorite program is "Outdoors Live" with Doug Leier (pronounced Leer in the Maddock area, but Lire in the Napoleon area. :lol: ). Doug is top notch and does a great job. His foundation is biology, yet he has made himself very talented on the radio airwaves.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Re:

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Cunningham is in a league of his own.

Not a big fan of his, hopefully he stays away from this state for along time.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re:

Postby I'm Me » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 pm

Number7 wrote:
Honus355 wrote:Lee Timmerman is a very good sportscaster. He also does a terrific job in March doing all of the state tournaments.

the best tv combination was him and DAN HAMMER. They fed off of each other and made a great telecast. Scoot Peters doesnt do him justice, but great point cause many times the TV guys dont know hardly anything about the athletes unless they are a Travis Mertens or Tyler Koenig.

Yeah, LT is a very good television personality. i think Bill Halter should join LT when they do the state tournaments. i hate to be negative about it but i cant stand JR Reynolds when he does the Umary football games on TV. I always watch KFYR over KXMB
I'm Me

Postby old lineman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Jim Addelson of Fargo was one of the best all-time. If he picked your team to win thursday night you were jinxed on Friday. His best line that he used on a missed shot, TWO ROLLS, NO COFFEE!!

I got one of those on a highlight against Hillsburro on the sports and my brother will never let me forget.

He also did the Hillburro Epping game, that is more of a classic.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Re:

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:15 am

ndfan wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:Cunningham is in a league of his own.

Not a big fan of his, hopefully he stays away from this state for along time.

I think is LIKE an annoying rich relative, you are initially glad to see them and then they just don't leave.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Old Baller » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:34 am

I like old lineman's choice...Jim Addelson. He was excitable and some people didn't care for him but he did have some classic lines.

Here is a personal story that involves Addelson indirectly. After college I moved to California in the '70's and was living in an apartment complex that had a basketball court. One day I got involved in a pick-up game with some guys. One of them made a shot from way out and I hollered "From the locker room!", one of Addelson's favorite lines. I got kind of a strange look from one of the other guys. A little later a player put up a shot that rolled around the rim and came out. I said "One roll and no coffee!". The same guy looked at me again and "You aren't from around here, are you?" I told him, no, I'm from ND. He said "Me too. Where in ND?". I told him I was from Medina. Turns out his home town was Streeter, 17 miles away! He said I had to be from ND if I knew those lines Addelson used.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:42 am

Old Baller wrote:I like old lineman's choice...Jim Addelson. He was excitable and some people didn't care for him but he did have some classic lines.

Here is a personal story that involves Addelson indirectly. After college I moved to California in the '70's and was living in an apartment complex that had a basketball court. One day I got involved in a pick-up game with some guys. One of them made a shot from way out and I hollered "From the locker room!", one of Addelson's favorite lines. I got kind of a strange look from one of the other guys. A little later a player put up a shot that rolled around the rim and came out. I said "One roll and no coffee!". The same guy looked at me again and "You aren't from around here, are you?" I told him, no, I'm from ND. He said "Me too. Where in ND?". I told him I was from Medina. Turns out his home town was Streeter, 17 miles away! He said I had to be from ND if I knew those lines Addelson used.

Thats funny....2 of my Favorite from Addelson were both in the Late 70's I think this one come from the Year Epping almost beat the Giant (Hillsburo) Guy by the name of Lyle took his 5th foul and on the way to the bench Addleson says, "goodby Lyle, thats five"....I think of it almost every time I see some one foul out.
Another time a Player was fouled hard and Addlson says, "he'll shoot his free throws after he gets out of the third row of the Bleachers".... :lol: the man did what he was put on earth to do, Call Class B North Dakota Basketball games.....true entertainer!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Scott katell? very energetic and entertaing for all three sports, but sometimes mixes up names, haha

for THREEEEEEEE................got it
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics