2020 PLAYOFF BRACKET

The teams in Class AA.

Re: 2020 PLAYOFF BRACKET

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:12 pm

eatdatpierogi445 wrote:Watched the HCV/Beulah game on YouTube. Congrats to Beulah knocking off the team they lost to in the championship last year. Also what kind of offense does Beulah run, what is it called. Never seen anything like it before.

that was very interesting.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Kindred had their chances to knock of St. Mary's; too many turnovers and STILL had a chance at the end of the game.

Yep a dropped touchdown pass for the win. (a Long with 5 turnovers leading to the Bismarck Points) You see at every level but those are the bounces.
I can say I have never been so mad at the officials in my life but I went back and watched the game and they did a really good job. Only thing I still am not sure of is the goal line 6 inches a away the QB sneak.. 6"5 QB leans over the pile, ball gets punched out and no touchdown... That is one of those calls that could have touchdown but instead a turnover. Who knows?
Best of Luck to Bismarck!
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDPREP » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:18 am

eatdatpierogi445 wrote:Watched the HCV/Beulah game on YouTube. Congrats to Beulah knocking off the team they lost to in the championship last year. Also what kind of offense does Beulah run, what is it called. Never seen anything like it before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-wing_formation

It's a variation of the Single Wing, one of the original football formations and a derivative of Pop Warner's offense. Notre Dame also ran it in the 40's with the 4 Horseman. Literally football history before your eyes.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:44 am

BelfieldBantams wrote:How about instead of whining about losing to the private schools you just go out and beat them? Yes I understand the rumors that they can recruit and they get the left overs from the Class A school, but just stop whining and beat them instead.

I was at a school that had a stud class that had a lot of success in all sports (boys and girls), including being in and winning many state championships. Ask them their most memorable win, and without a doubt they say an early playoff win against a private school that they had never beat before. This was a boys win and I would guess that some of the girls might say this game too.

Minot Ryan, St. Mary's, Oak Grove, etc just raise your game and go beat them.

Yes I understand beating them is great and something you remember forever but the reason that these privates play in Class B is because they can not dominate and win every year at the Class A level. So they say they can not compete. Well there is a huge difference from competing and winning State every year.

I have all the respect in the world for Shanley in doing what they are doing. Shanley competed and won games but in AA they would have rolled everybody and walked to a State Championship.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:45 am

NDPREP wrote:

It's a variation of the Single Wing, one of the original football formations and a derivative of Pop Warner's offense. Notre Dame also ran it in the 40's with the 4 Horseman. Literally football history before your eyes.

It is so fun to watch. Keeps defense on their toes. Really good defensive lines will make a mess out of it.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:14 pm

maddog1971 wrote:It is so fun to watch. Keeps defense on their toes. Really good defensive lines will make a mess out of it.

Could be said about any offense.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Bismarck St. Mary's Saints riding a nine game winning streak. Number one all year long.

Beulah Miners on a four game winning streak, last loss was to St. Mary's.

These two have split the last twelve matchup's (6-6)

My prediction: St. Mary's wins a 34-12
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm

St. Mary's is the favored team. I do think they win, but I think it's a battle! St. Mary's wins 22-16
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:32 am

maddog1971 wrote:
NDPREP wrote:

It is so fun to watch. Keeps defense on their toes. Really good defensive lines will make a mess out of it.

Having been a west observer for the last few years, and seeing who Beulah has lost too over those years, Good LB play is more instrumental in slowing them down than DL play. Also a team that can score with big plays also hurts them if their defense isnt ready to go but that could be said about anyone.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:13 pm

Flip wrote:

that was very interesting.

I don't know if that's considered the veer or if it's just "Get 3.5 yards per play to kill the clock" but it's very boring to watch as spectator. Credit to their coaches for getting the players to buy in, but I would really have a hard time getting excited to play that style of football as a high school kid. It definitely works, but once you run into an offense with some firepower, as HCV had last year, it's awfully tough to beat teams that can score in an instant. HCV was more of a ball-control style team this year as well, without the home run ability of Oscar Benson & Isaac Luthlie in the backfield. Will be interesting if Beulah can keep the ball from St. Mary's and put up enough points to win on Friday.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby oldcolt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:46 pm

I think in an offense like Beulah's the QB can really make a huge difference. You need someone that's always going to carry out the fake to really make it affective. I enjoy it but can see why some people don't like it as it's not really a back up and fling it around the field kind of offense.
oldcolt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDPREP » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:38 am

Yea if you're really into the technical aspect of football its very interesting to watch. Who they block, why they block them, and what the situation is.

Also guts to Dooley for the way he handles punts, I wish more HS teams played that way.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:58 pm

How did the refs miss this?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Region2FootballFan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Flip wrote:How did the refs miss this?

What
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:45 pm

The holder caught the ball with both knees off the ground. When he went to place the ball he went to a knee. If I understand the rules correctly he should be ruled down when he goes to a knee and the PAT should be over.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Flip wrote:The holder caught the ball with both knees off the ground. When he went to place the ball he went to a knee. If I understand the rules correctly he should be ruled down when he goes to a knee and the PAT should be over.

ART. 2 . . . The ball becomes dead and the down is ended:
a. When a runner goes out of bounds, is held so his forward progress
is stopped or allows any part of his person other than hand or foot to
touch the ground.

EXCEPTIONS:
1. The ball remains live if, at the snap, a place-kick holder with his
knee(s) on the ground and with a teammate in kicking position
catches or recovers the snap while his knee(s) is on the ground and
places the ball for a kick, or if he rises to advance, hand, kick or
pass; or

2. The ball remains live if, at the snap, a place-kick holder with his
knee(s) on the ground and with a teammate in kicking position rises
and catches or recovers an errant snap and immediately returns his
knee(s) to the ground and places the ball for a kick or again rises to
advance, hand, kick or pass.

NOTE: The ball becomes dead if the place-kick holder muffs the snap or
fumbles and recovers after his knees have been off the ground
, and he
then touches the ground with other than hand or foot while in possession
of the ball.

Therefore, errant snaps the holder is allowed to come up and go back down; dropped snap by the holder and then it becomes a dead-ball.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:02 pm

ok, I misunderstood the rule. I do remember my HS coach complaining about this. Either he didn't understand the rule either or the rule changed.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to AA