2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:17 am

Snow is on the ground which means basketball season is soon upon us. Would love to see some pre-season rankings for each region, top players to watch, interesting story lines, state tournament predictions, etc. to jump start the conversation.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Region 2
Number one will be Grafton.
After that, I would be guessing, but I would assume HCV and Thompson will be in the top five. Hatton-Northwood also returns some good players. NB? they have a lot of seniors on their FB team. I'm not sure how that translates to basketball.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Region 1
Enderlin
Central Cass
Kindred
Oak Grove
Northern Cass

after that...not sure
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baskets-r-us » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 am

Region 8
1. White Shield if Jesse White stays healthy i don't see many teams slowing him down
2. Powers Lake return a bunch could pull the upset and go back to state again
baskets-r-us
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:20 am

Region 1 will be competitive when it comes to the 2nd - 4th spot. Here is how I see it playing out.
1. Enderlin's Conference to lose - Anything short of reaching the State Championship game would be a disappointment
2. Kindred
3. Oak Grove
4. Central Cass
5. Northern Cass
6. Wyndmere Lidgerwood - Come Region play, this team could be a sleeper
Uncertain about the rest of the Region.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Region 1: Enderlin and Kindred would be the two most interesting teams to me. Should be Enderlin's region to lose. I think Enderlin grinds out a couple close games to reach the state tournament. The Hurlburt kid ends up being the best player in the region.

Region 2: I saw the most games in this region last year so feel I know it better than other regions. Grafton and Hatton should be the top two teams as HCV and Thompson should take big steps backward compared to the championship level teams they have had the last few years. Grafton is better rounded top to bottom but Hatton returns two really good players. I think Grafton comes out on top of this region. Garza from Grafton ends up edging out the Konschak kid from Hatton as the region's best player. (A more complete and well-rounded player). Keep an eye on the Hagen kid from Park River as well - had a big season last year without much help so if teams can't dedicate 2 or 3 guys to him maybe he takes a another big leap.

I'm really hoping that we get through a season and these athletes get a chance to finish stuff out like football is but moving indoor will be more challenging. Volleyball has had problems and that is a lot less close contact than basketball. Hoping the athletes, coaches, and teams get to give it a go!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:29 am

1. Enderlins region to lose
2. Oak Grove- coach had them playing well down the stretch last year.
3. Central Cass
4. Kindred- up to 2nd if they have any guard play.
5. NC- best player in the region
6. Tri-State- good atheletes
7. W-L
8. SC
9. Lisbon-make a jump next year
10. Maple Valley
11. Hankinson-
12. Richland- It will be awhle
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:1. Enderlins region to lose
3. Central Cass
7. W-L
8. SC
10. Maple Valley
11. Hankinson-

That's a pretty bold statement considering there is a player in the region getting Power-5 offers. NC's pg is a very good player, don't get me wrong.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:00 pm

I only know about Region 1 so here goes:

1. Enderlin has to be the favorite, but I'm not convinced that they'll go to state. They will struggle with run & gun teams, and as many have stated before -- this team will only go far if their big man learns how to play post and not act as a guard.
2. Kindred - a well balanced team with height and good athletes.
3. CC - returns a very decent team led by Kobbervig at the point and a very good post in Dixon.
4. OG - returns good outside shooting in Martinson, a top 5 Region 1 player in Swenson, & other good pieces.
5. NC - Crockett returns and is a top 5 player in the Region, & they have very good other pieces to complement.

I do think 1-5 will beat each other up during the season. Lots of parity.

6-12 will be all up for grabs. I do think Hankinson will finish higher than they are predicted by others(11th or 12th.) With 3 starters returning, they will have a lot of varsity experience but just not a lot of team depth.

The top player IMO to watch in Region 1 will be Preston Bohnenstingel from Wyndmere-Lidgerwood. I'll predict that he'll lead the Region in scoring this year.
Last edited by UNDSiouxfan on Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Vikings2009 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:41 pm

Top 10 ranked teams-predictions?
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:33 am

Vikings2009 wrote:Top 10 ranked teams-predictions?

Not sure I can give you the order they will be in but here are the teams I think end up top 10 or receiving votes out East:

Enderlin
Kindred
Grafton
Hatton-Northwood
Hillsboro-CV (don't think they finish here but will start here based on last year's finish - I almost guarantee it)
Langdon
Four Winds

I don't think I have a good enough grasp on who returns what out west to offer much that way so just gonna keep my mouth shut and not try to guess. I have found most of these pre-season polls overweight what happened last season and underweight returning players. Hard to tell this year though because we didn't get through the state tournament, maybe that means those teams won't get that bump.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby bingobangobongo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:57 am

The Schwab wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:1. Enderlins region to lose
3. Central Cass
7. W-L
8. SC
10. Maple Valley
11. Hankinson-

That's a pretty bold statement considering there is a player in the region getting Power-5 offers. NC's pg is a very good player, don't get me wrong.
It's not really a bold statement...the "best player in the region" (I'm not saying Crockett is, but he could be) is not necessarily the same thing as "the player that is the best prospect to have a successful high-major Division I career."
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Sports Fan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I only know about Region 1 so here goes:

1. Enderlin has to be the favorite, but I'm not convinced that they'll go to state. They will struggle with run & gun teams, and as many have stated before -- this team will only go far if their big man learns how to play post and not act as a guard.
2. Kindred - a well balanced team with height and good athletes.
3. CC - returns a very decent team led by Kobbervig at the point and a very good post in Dixon.
4. OG - returns good outside shooting in Martinson, a top 5 Region 1 player in Swenson, & other good pieces.
5. NC - Crockett returns and is a top 5 player in the Region, & they have very good other pieces to complement.

I do think 1-5 will beat each other up during the season. Lots of parity.

6-12 will be all up for grabs. I do think Hankinson will finish higher than they are predicted by others(11th or 12th.) With 3 starters returning, they will have a lot of varsity experience but just not a lot of team depth.

The top player IMO to watch in Region 1 will be Preston Bohnenstingel from Wyndmere-Lidgerwood. I'll predict that he'll lead the Region in scoring this year.

1. Enderlin: If they don't get to the state title game (should win it), it could be the most underachieving team in the history of ND Class B basketball on paper . . . . . however, they did lose to the 7 seed in the Region tournament last year. Guard play is much improved and the Twin Towers are what they are. Their Region/State to lose

2. Oak Grove: Swenson may be the most well rounded player not from Enderlin in the region and I would never bet against Coach Card.

3. Kindred: Although I do not believe their big post is a difference maker, he is still 6'10" I believe and more mature. They need to solidify guard play. Well coached also.

4. Central Cass: They lost a ton from a team that made it to the Region final last year, but return 2, long term starters in Kobbervig and Dixon. They will need to find a consistent additional scorer, otherwise the burden gets pretty heavy on 2 kids. Very unproven at the remaining 3 starting roles and the bench at the varsity level.

5. Northern Cass: Crockett will carry the mail and will contend to lead the Region in scoring. They will upset some of the top 4, but could also get upset by others from 6-12.

6-8: I think Tri-State, Lisbon, and Hankinson will make strides forward this year and will occasionally knock off teams 2-5.

9-12: Flip a coin. I think Maple Valley is well coached, W-L has a star in the making and a tough gym to play in (could be the surprise team in Region 1), SC continues to try and build, Richland takes a major step back following a tremendous run.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:20 pm

. Enderlin: If they don't get to the state title game (should win it)
FWM will have alot to say about that.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:25 pm

senditin wrote:. Enderlin: If they don't get to the state title game (should win it)
FWM will have alot to say about that.

Nice thing is we'll get to see FWM host Enderlin during the season.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:16 pm

My Top 10 (after viewing the Hoopster Book & Rankings)
1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan
2. Enderlin
3. Grafton
4. Rugby
5. Beulah
6. Dickinson Trinity
7. Shiloh Christian
8. Oakes
9. Linton-HMB
10. Langdon/Edmore/Munich
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:My Top 10 (after viewing the Hoopster Book & Rankings)
1. Four Winds-Minnewaukan
2. Enderlin
3. Grafton
4. Rugby
5. Beulah
6. Dickinson Trinity
7. Shiloh Christian
8. Oakes
9. Linton-HMB
10. Langdon/Edmore/Munich

There are a lot of interesting matchups slated for this season
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:39 pm

I don't know enough about H-N, but after Azure and Konschak, who else can score for them? Their JV was a pretty average, middle of the pack team last year, maybe I'm forgetting someone for them, but I don't see them being deep enough to be considered the #2 team in the region in what seems to be a pretty unanimous opinion on the boards here and in the polls.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:10 am

BasketballMind wrote:I don't know enough about H-N, but after Azure and Konschak, who else can score for them? Their JV was a pretty average, middle of the pack team last year, maybe I'm forgetting someone for them, but I don't see them being deep enough to be considered the #2 team in the region in what seems to be a pretty unanimous opinion on the boards here and in the polls.

Those are two very good players to build around. They return their 6th man from last year (the Myron kid) and he did some really nice stuff. Assuming Azure and Konschak improve like they should and they can find a primary ball handler I think they will be a very good team again. I would have put them number 2 in the region as well but for me the question becomes who do you put ahead of them? HCV and Thompson lose almost everything from last year. To put either of those teams ahead of Hatton is just going based on previous success not what returns. Probably two of the two more complete teams bringing back all or most of their core are DVE and Midway. Would you put them ahead of Hatton? North Border returns a good core and had some interesting JV/Bench pieces but would you put them ahead of them? Every pre-season ranking has to make predictions based on what returns and Hatton returns two of the top 15 players (maybe top 10) in the region. In class B basketball that seems like enough to be a number 2 team in the region. Taking a region championship team returning very good players and putting them at 2 makes sense.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby jimor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 pm

It is my understanding after a conversation with a member of the faculty in Dunseith, is that they did a pretty good job of "rebuilding their program" from a surrounding town that is only doing distance learning and has no sports. I've seen the new additions to the girls team, so I'm pretty sure he was correct with the boys. It appears region 4 will have more good teams than previously thought.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:06 am

Here would be my top 10 going into the season based on what returns, what I know about them, and what was in the Hoopster:

1. Enderlin
2. Four Winds
3. Grafton
4. Beulah
5. Dickinson Trinity
6. Shiloh Christian
7. Langdon
8. Linton
9. Rugby
10. Oakes
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 am

defensewinsgames wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:I don't know enough about H-N, but after Azure and Konschak, who else can score for them? Their JV was a pretty average, middle of the pack team last year, maybe I'm forgetting someone for them, but I don't see them being deep enough to be considered the #2 team in the region in what seems to be a pretty unanimous opinion on the boards here and in the polls.

Those are two very good players to build around. They return their 6th man from last year (the Myron kid) and he did some really nice stuff. Assuming Azure and Konschak improve like they should and they can find a primary ball handler I think they will be a very good team again. I would have put them number 2 in the region as well but for me the question becomes who do you put ahead of them? HCV and Thompson lose almost everything from last year. To put either of those teams ahead of Hatton is just going based on previous success not what returns. Probably two of the two more complete teams bringing back all or most of their core are DVE and Midway. Would you put them ahead of Hatton? North Border returns a good core and had some interesting JV/Bench pieces but would you put them ahead of them? Every pre-season ranking has to make predictions based on what returns and Hatton returns two of the top 15 players (maybe top 10) in the region. In class B basketball that seems like enough to be a number 2 team in the region. Taking a region championship team returning very good players and putting them at 2 makes sense.

HN region 2 runner-up last year correct, not champion? Or perhaps you meant competed in the region championship......
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 am

Yes sorry that was poor communication meant a team that was in the region championship
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 am

I am a region 1 guy...

Enderlin is the Favorite. We all know about the Twins and the size and skill level. They don't just have those two players but at least 2 others that are extremely talented players as well.
CC brings lots back and they can win on any given night.
Kindred is Big and the most athletic team in the region. They don't have a ton of experience back but they can guard, run and rip down some rims this year ( 6"10, 6"5, 6"5,6"4, 6"4,6"3)
Oak Grove seems to always be one of the Top teams in the region no matter who they have on the team.
NC... You never know... Talent but how does it get used.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 am

maddog1971 wrote:I am a region 1 guy...

Enderlin is the Favorite. We all know about the Twins and the size and skill level. They don't just have those two players but at least 2 others that are extremely talented players as well.
CC brings lots back and they can win on any given night.
Kindred is Big and the most athletic team in the region. They don't have a ton of experience back but they can guard, run and rip down some rims this year ( 6"10, 6"5, 6"5,6"4, 6"4,6"3)
Oak Grove seems to always be one of the Top teams in the region no matter who they have on the team.
NC... You never know... Talent but how does it get used.

CC bring back alot? And man NC must of done something wrong to you in the past bc you are a hater
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys