2. Carrington

3. Beulah

4. Kindred/Richland

5. Park River-Fordville-Lankin
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Class B Power Rankings

Postby madseason » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Pretty early in the year but I think Carrington is off the list?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:53 pm

I'd say this after first couple of weeks

1. Thompson
2. Kindred-Richland
3. Park River-FL
4. Des Lacs-Burlington
5. Shiloh Christian (or Beulah)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Rivershark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:13 am

https://www.midcosn.com/blog/2017/04/nd ... -rankings/

1. Thompson
2. Kindred-Richland
3. Park River-Fordville-Lankin
4. Grafton
5. Shiloh Christian
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toughD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Does the Midco ranking have any criteria to it, or is it just opinion?
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm

toughD wrote:Does the Midco ranking have any criteria to it, or is it just opinion?

how many polls have you seen that actually have a criteria too it?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rivershark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:22 pm

https://www.midcosn.com/blog/2017/04/nd ... -rankings/

1. Thompson
2. Kindred-Richland
3. Park River-Fordville-Lankin
4. Grafton
5. Des Lacs-Burlington
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:51 am

The best part of this poll as compared to other sports local media polls is these guys probably never see any of these teams play, its basically checking this site for scores and picking the teams who win all their second games (Not like polls matter at all) just interesting.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:41 am

NDPREP wrote:The best part of this poll as compared to other sports local media polls is these guys probably never see any of these teams play, its basically checking this site for scores and picking the teams who win all their second games (Not like polls matter at all) just interesting.

I don't know if there is anything else out there. This site has been pretty quite when it comes to baseball. I've been trying to hold back somewhat so I don't offend anyone.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am

There really isn't , baseball doesn't do coaches polls until seeding for the state tournament. Right now it looks like the top teams in the east are head and shoulders better than the rest of their region foes and out west there seems to be some more parity.

I would also really only look at first games as there is a differing strategy between coaches on second games. I know when seeding comes into play they look at both but in reality a lot of coaches use that second game to see younger guys play and give them a shot to impress, while others use it to get their number 1's extra at bats.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toughD » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Flip wrote:
toughD wrote:Does the Midco ranking have any criteria to it, or is it just opinion?

how many polls have you seen that actually have a criteria too it?

I agree, but I don't think this is a poll. To be more specific, I was wondering if they compiled this ranking by using things like SOS and run differential to determine who the best team might be, or are they just cruising a few sports pages and throwing guesses out there.
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:26 pm

toughD wrote:I agree, but I don't think this is a poll. To be more specific, I was wondering if they compiled this ranking by using things like SOS and run differential to determine who the best team might be, or are they just cruising a few sports pages and throwing guesses out there.

You correct, this is probably not a poll. It's most likely 1 or maybe a couple people's opinion based on the scores.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby madseason » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:51 pm

NDPREP wrote:There really isn't , baseball doesn't do coaches polls until seeding for the state tournament. Right now it looks like the top teams in the east are head and shoulders better than the rest of their region foes and out west there seems to be some more parity.

I would also really only look at first games as there is a differing strategy between coaches on second games. I know when seeding comes into play they look at both but in reality a lot of coaches use that second game to see younger guys play and give them a shot to impress, while others use it to get their number 1's extra at bats.

I'm pretty sure the first game is varsity 7 innings and counts in the standings, and the second game is the jv 5 innings? Doesn't count in the standings. I could be wrong. Yes, with the smaller schools the varsity players will get extra reps due to low numbers. Good! Maybe slightly even the playing field?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:58 pm

madseason wrote:
NDPREP wrote:There really isn't , baseball doesn't do coaches polls until seeding for the state tournament. Right now it looks like the top teams in the east are head and shoulders better than the rest of their region foes and out west there seems to be some more parity.

I'm pretty sure the first game is varsity 7 innings and counts in the standings, and the second game is the jv 5 innings? Doesn't count in the standings. I could be wrong. Yes, with the smaller schools the varsity players will get extra reps due to low numbers. Good! Maybe slightly even the playing field?

All depends on, I've seen some larger class B schools who play a different JV schedule so they play both games with their top kids, which leads to even larger run differential when playing small schools who treat the second game as a JV game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby LILchump » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm

The Schwab wrote:
madseason wrote:

All depends on, I've seen some larger class B schools who play a different JV schedule so they play both games with their top kids, which leads to even larger run differential when playing small schools who treat the second game as a JV game.

It all depends on the coach. IMO, why take at-bats away from a senior starter in a "game 2" scheduled varsity game? Personally, I dislike the fact that there is a double header scheduled and one game "doesn't count." I like the way class A has changed their schedules so that they play a double header where both games count to the region standings. I suppose, some class B teams would run out of pitching awfully quick if this were the case though.
LILchump
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hook » Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 am

Does Thompson, Kindred and/or park river play each other in the regular season? In my opinion they are the 3 best teams in the state based off what I saw last year and what little I have seen this year. I haven't seen any teams that have really wowed me but spring baseball in north Dakota doesn't exactly let teams get in a rhythm until it stops snowing every other week!
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Wed May 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Neither of them play each other this season. Looking at their schedules, I would say that Park River has had the stronger schedule between the three. You can't really determine a lot with all the 5 inning blow out games. PR players have been putting up some big numbers the entire season. Their big hitters are getting the job done and have 7 HR's so far. Thompson's been doing good but their big hitters are a little behind from last season. I would expect that to change now that the weather has gotten better. I don't know anything about Kindred.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Wed May 03, 2017 4:25 pm

https://www.midcosn.com/blog/2017/05/nd ... -rankings/

Thompson is getting the spotlight on this week’s episode of Varsity Sports on MidcoSN (airs every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. CT). Marty Mueller from our staff put together a cool feature profiling the emerging dynasty in the small town. Thompson is the defending baseball state champs and also took home the football state title this past fall. The Tommies play four home games over the next week. #2 Kindred-Richland needed extra innings to beat rival Central Cass, 2-1 in 8 innings on Tuesday. #3 Park River-Fordville-Lankin got the win of the week by edging #5 Grafton 3-2 on Tuesday. Meanwhile, #4 Des Lacs-Burlington is just humming along on the opposite side of the state, allowing a state best 0.8 runs/game. If the Lakers have another perfect week, I might have to consider moving them up. The question would be who moves down? The margin for error is small.

1.Thompson (8-0)
2.Kindred-Richland (13-0)
3.Park River-Fordville-Lankin (11-0)
4.Des Lacs-Burlington (14-0)
5.Grafton (7-2)
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Wed May 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Rivershark wrote:https://www.midcosn.com/blog/2017/05/nd-hs-baseball--softball-power-rankings/

Thompson is getting the spotlight on this week’s episode of Varsity Sports on MidcoSN (airs every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. CT). Marty Mueller from our staff put together a cool feature profiling the emerging dynasty in the small town. Thompson is the defending baseball state champs and also took home the football state title this past fall. The Tommies play four home games over the next week. #2 Kindred-Richland needed extra innings to beat rival Central Cass, 2-1 in 8 innings on Tuesday. #3 Park River-Fordville-Lankin got the win of the week by edging #5 Grafton 3-2 on Tuesday. Meanwhile, #4 Des Lacs-Burlington is just humming along on the opposite side of the state, allowing a state best 0.8 runs/game. If the Lakers have another perfect week, I might have to consider moving them up. The question would be who moves down? The margin for error is small.

1.Thompson (8-0)
2.Kindred-Richland (13-0)
3.Park River-Fordville-Lankin (11-0)
4.Des Lacs-Burlington (14-0)
5.Grafton (7-2)

This year there's a huge contrast between the west and the east teams. I'm not afraid to say that some of the mediocre teams in the east could handle the top teams in the west. I would place Grafton ahead of DLB.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hook » Fri May 05, 2017 8:25 am

so with Langdon beating grafton and park river they are climbing the ranks in my opinion. I haven't seen them play but they seem to be coming on strong.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 am

Run, do you have anything for standings in each of the regions?
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 am

I'm lucky to get scores...I only receive emails about R1.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Rivershark » Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Here's all the up to date standings. I'm thinking that some of the numbers need some tweeking, for example Grafton played Langdon 3 times, but only the first game counted in their first meeting.

http://northdakota-scores.net/classstan ... 0&class=25
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Mon May 08, 2017 3:59 pm

I know in Region 8 only the first game (of the double header) counts in the region standings
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:21 pm

No matter how I enter scores on that site..it will count both games
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Next

Return to Class B