Black Monday

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Black Monday

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:41 pm

So far, 7 coaches and 5 general managers have been let go. They include:

Chan Gailey - Buffalo
Lovie Smith - Chicago
Romeo Crennel - Kansas City
Andy Reid - Philadelphia
Norv Turner & GM A. J. Smith - San Diego
Ken Whisenhunt & GM Rod Graves - Arizona
Pat Shurmur & GM Tom Heckert, Jr. - Cleveland
GM Gene Smith - Jacksonville
GM Mike Tannebaum - New York Jets

How does everyone feel about this? Anybody who shouldn't be on the list? Who else do you guys think will be going? Am surprised that nobody from Dallas has been axed yet. Think New Orleans was smart to tie up Payton.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Black Monday

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:47 pm

I think Rex Ryan should of been fired. Also I think Whisenhunt is a good coach just had absolutely zero offense besides fitzgerald.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Rumor has it Andy Reid will be the Arizona coach by the end of the week.

Lovie Smith and Wisenhunt will have jobs next season

Look for Detroit to be on the hot seat for the coming weeks, IMO
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:05 pm

I can see Reid and Whisenhunt getting fired, but they are darn good coaches and will be employed soon.

The one I can't see getting fired is Lovie Smith. Playoff appearances, one Super Bowl, 10-6 record this year. Man, that's harsh.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Hinsa wrote:I can see Reid and Whisenhunt getting fired, but they are darn good coaches and will be employed soon.

The one I can't see getting fired is Lovie Smith. Playoff appearances, one Super Bowl, 10-6 record this year. Man, that's harsh.

Agreed. Think if Chicago would have been patient, could have finally picked up a good O-coordinator in either Turner or Whisenhunt. Lovie has always had their defense ready to go, just so sporadic offensively.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Good point about Turner as an OC. He has always put together dynamite offenses, but lacks something as a head coach. Would have been a perfect fit in Chicago with Lovie still the head coach.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 am

Now it sounds like Reid will end up in Kansas City. I can't believe that none of the Cowboys coaches have been given the pink slip. I wonder how many NFL teams are waiting for certain college teams to play their bowl game so that they can talk to their coaches.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm

It seems that Dallas has begun their house cleaning. Also read that Philly is interviewing Lovie Smith. As mentioned above in a couple of posts, I could see Philly bringing in both Lovie and Turner. Bottom of the NFC East is not where Philly wants to be and can see them spending some big money to turn it around fast.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 pm

classB4ever wrote:It seems that Dallas has begun their house cleaning. Also read that Philly is interviewing Lovie Smith. As mentioned above in a couple of posts, I could see Philly bringing in both Lovie and Turner. Bottom of the NFC East is not where Philly wants to be and can see them spending some big money to turn it around fast.

I'm a huge Cowboys fan and really think they made a mistake letting Ryan go. Last year defense wasn't great but that was because of no training camp and lack of talent. This year they go out and get the talent and the defense was great the first half of the season, especially closing out games which was always a problem before. Then they got hit with injuries and were basically picking players off the street and still decent. The Cowboys biggest problem is on offense. Way too much talent to be that inept, and it wasn't Romo's fault either. If Jones isn't going to let Garrett go at least hire an OC that knows how to run an offense. I have never like Garrett's offense since he's been calling the plays as OC and then head coach. It's predictable and safe. Jones needs to draft or sign some OL/DL and get the offense changed, but didn't think Ryan was the problem even if his antics are less than to be desired.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 pm

What does everyone think about major college coaches like Chip Kelly or Nick Saban staying instead of going pro? I know Saban didn't have a good go the first time around.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

bison football73 wrote:What does everyone think about major college coaches like Chip Kelly or Nick Saban staying instead of going pro? I know Saban didn't have a good go the first time around.

Chip Kelly's heart wasn't in it right now...but it wasn't a surprise to me. I was more intrigued that the Syracuse coach was hired in Buffalo.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 pm

bison football73 wrote:What does everyone think about major college coaches like Chip Kelly or Nick Saban staying instead of going pro? I know Saban didn't have a good go the first time around.

Why would Saban ever want to leave? He's got the best gig in college football, gets paid as much as NFL coaches, and could very well end up with the most title ever.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm

I like it when these guys realize what a good gig they have and stay. Building a legacy in a college program is much more gratifying as coaching 3-4 years in the pros and then being shown the door. I believe these guys that chase the bucks and move every 3 years or less end up tarnished in the long run. Look what Saban is doing now that he is sticking around Alabama for more than a couple of years.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:33 pm

I agree with Saban's decision. College football is true real authentic football. When I hear football I think college right away. Personally I would rather coach a college program than professional. How about the new speculation with Brian Kelly and the Eagles. Is he going to go o stay at Notre Dame?
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm

I'd laugh if Notre Dame fired him for thinking of leaving! The guy finally brought Notre Dame back to the national stage and now he is thinking of moving on. I think he'll be back for one more year, but the guy obviously has intentions of moving on to a bigger contract while he's hot. Would serve him right if he comes back and ND goes 6-6 and he's not the hot coach anymore.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Last I heard, Brian Kelly wasn't leaving college football.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:24 pm

I agree with you Run, but he did have some discussions with some pro teams before stating that he was staying with the college game.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 pm

boy...that was quick and unexpected.

Chip Kelly leaves Oregon for the Eagles: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88496 ... es-sources
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Former NDSU player and coach Gus Bradley hired in Jacksonville.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Good for Gus, but Jax could be a career killer right now. Not much talent and no QB there.

As for Chip Kelly, only one week after he said he was staying at Oregon he is gone. No principles, no standing by your word. So, so sick of it.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Hinsa wrote:Good for Gus, but Jax could be a career killer right now. Not much talent and no QB there.

As for Chip Kelly, only one week after he said he was staying at Oregon he is gone. No principles, no standing by your word. So, so sick of it.

Which makes me think something is going to happen in Oregon.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 pm

You might be absolutely right.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Gus should give Henne a year to prove himself the kid has an arm!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 pm

panthercub wrote:Gus should give Henne a year to prove himself the kid has an arm!

I think you mean Gabbert. Henne doesn't have much of an arm. He's just pretty experienced so he made a couple plays that Gabbert wouldn't see develop. I think they really need to give Gabbert another year or two. Their o-line is so bad. If they could improve that a little to give some time he could be alright. He can really rip the ball and make some throws that other guys can't.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things