Joe Hanstad

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Joe Hanstad

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:51 am

BHSrunner wrote:
senser wrote:Boise State? huh.

I was getting my hopes up for summer ball to see what his options were. He must have fell in love with something to go there.

Boise is a great place to live. I really had my heart set on Boise State to run track and XC, but I shifted my interests once I gained interest from East Coast schools.

I know the assistant coach of Gonzaga taking the BSU job had a lot to do with it, but the WAC is a conference he can definitely excel in, and like I said, Boise is a really nice place to be.

It is always good to hear that a ND kid is being looked at by schools around the country. It will continue to help future student-athletes from ND to get the recognition that so many deserve. Boise is a nice area, but a surprising choice for arguably one of the top players in ND history. Boise State is an improving university, but does have a history of extremely low graduation rates especially for student-athletes. Also, unlike Gonzaga, the school's focus is football.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sports_fanatic » Sun May 09, 2010 3:00 pm

balla45 wrote:He wouldn't need to have a John Wall like impact. The WAC and SEC are very different. Winning the WAC tournament would be easier than winning the SEC tournament or keeping a top 25 ranking all season long. I don't think a lot of people realize how good Joe actually is.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... son%3d2011

For people who dont think Joe is good enough to play in the WAC is very much wrong. If he can recieve an overall rating of 82 by ESPN as a junior in HS, I think he will do very well at Boise. He still has another year to develop his skills to make them college level play. Congrats to Joe. And Best of Luck to him.
sports_fanatic
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Sun May 09, 2010 3:09 pm

sports_fanatic wrote:
balla45 wrote:He wouldn't need to have a John Wall like impact. The WAC and SEC are very different. Winning the WAC tournament would be easier than winning the SEC tournament or keeping a top 25 ranking all season long. I don't think a lot of people realize how good Joe actually is.

For people who dont think Joe is good enough to play in the WAC is very much wrong. If he can recieve an overall rating of 82 by ESPN as a junior in HS, I think he will do very well at Boise. He still has another year to develop his skills to make them college level play. Congrats to Joe. And Best of Luck to him. [/quote]

Good find...but the 100th ranked recruit by ESPN is a 93. that means there are 100 players ranked between 98-93. makes you wonder how many are ranked between 93 and 82. granted its a different class...but even for 2011 the 60th player is a 93.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sports_fanatic » Sun May 09, 2010 5:11 pm

baseball wrote:
sports_fanatic wrote:

For people who dont think Joe is good enough to play in the WAC is very much wrong. If he can recieve an overall rating of 82 by ESPN as a junior in HS, I think he will do very well at Boise. He still has another year to develop his skills to make them college level play. Congrats to Joe. And Best of Luck to him.

Good find...but the 100th ranked recruit by ESPN is a 93. that means there are 100 players ranked between 98-93. makes you wonder how many are ranked between 93 and 82. granted its a different class...but even for 2011 the 60th player is a 93.[/quote]

I wasnt really trying to compare him to the other prospects. I was just trying to agree with balla45 that joe is a much better player than everyone thinks he is. I mean how many high school players from ND get a rating at all in any sport from any national credited source(ESPN, Rivals, Etc.) I can understand that there is not that much level of competition here, but look what happend to Austin Defualt. Finished is sophomore year average 5.5 points a game and also became a solid contributor who got alot of minutes. And that was playing for the BIG 12. A much more competive conference than WAC.
sports_fanatic
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indy5 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:53 pm

sports_fanatic wrote:I can understand that there is not that much level of competition here, but look what happend to Austin Defualt. Finished is sophomore year average 5.5 points a game and also became a solid contributor who got alot of minutes. And that was playing for the BIG 12. A much more competive conference than WAC.

Yes, the Big XII is much more competitive than the WAC, but what we were saying was, is Joe was good enough to carry a team to the dance by him self in his first few years. 5.5 points a game is not close to that level. Granted, Joe is much better than Dufault, but regardless, not a great comparison.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun May 09, 2010 7:59 pm

I hate to go to the ESPN rating again, but Dufault was a 40 when he signed and Nate Tomlinson was a 50. compared to the 82 of Hanstad. Both started when they were freshman while 3 other players who came in that class with rankings of 88, 76, and 73 saw very little playing time.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue May 11, 2010 10:54 am

baseball wrote:I hate to go to the ESPN rating again, but Dufault was a 40 when he signed and Nate Tomlinson was a 50. compared to the 82 of Hanstad. Both started when they were freshman while 3 other players who came in that class with rankings of 88, 76, and 73 saw very little playing time.

If I remember correctly, a 40 ranking is the lowest ESPN ranks. I always assumed it was for recruits they never saw play.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kermit » Tue May 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:I hate to go to the ESPN rating again, but Dufault was a 40 when he signed and Nate Tomlinson was a 50. compared to the 82 of Hanstad. Both started when they were freshman while 3 other players who came in that class with rankings of 88, 76, and 73 saw very little playing time.

If I remember correctly, a 40 ranking is the lowest ESPN ranks. I always assumed it was for recruits they never saw play.

You are correct. 40 means that the prospect has not been evaluated.
Kermit
NDPreps Rookie

Postby happygilmore » Sat May 15, 2010 12:28 pm

2010 will be an exciting year in hoops! Can't wait to see Hanstad light it up!!
"You're in my world now, Grandma!"
happygilmore
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:01 pm

King James wrote:If Joe goes to a place like Gonzaga he will most likely be a shooter or a role player like Dufault is at Colorado, but if he goes to a place like NDSU he can be a big impact player for them. Dufault I believe has/had more upside than Hanstad had and look what his role at colorado is.

I was just reading through this thread because i was tihnking today and wondering if he knew about the BSU move to the MWC during his recruitment. Obviously nothing set in stone, but something along the lines of knowing they are in talks.

I quoted this post for the simple reason that you can't expect Austin to be a star at Colorado. I don't know much about the new coach, but Bzdelik always ran a perimeter oriented offense, using big guys who can pick and pop and hit an occasional outside shot...thats what Austin can do, so it was a perfect fit. That offense was basically a organized free lance letting the guards create off the dribble. No one expected Austin to go down there and be an all-Big 12 performer.

saying that...im interested to see what is role will be with a new coach, and also how he will fair in the Pac-10 compared to the Big 12
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 am

baseball wrote:...
saying that...im interested to see what is role will be with a new coach, and also how he will fair in the Pac-10 compared to the Big 12

He will have used all of his eligibility by the time Colorado starts Pac-10 play, assuming he doesn't redshirt.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 am

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:...

He will have used all of his eligibility by the time Colorado starts Pac-10 play, assuming he doesn't redshirt.

did i read it wrong, or doesnt Colorado start in the Pac 10 2011-2012 season? which would be his Senior season. you may be right though
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:04 am

Colorado football starts off in the Pac-10 in 2012.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:07 am

thanks, that was my problem. I was thinking in terms of basketball champions where the 2012 champion would be his senior season. dumb mistake haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Is Hanstad red shirting? 2 games into the season and he hasn't logged a minute while 11 others have.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Flip wrote:Is Hanstad red shirting? 2 games into the season and he hasn't logged a minute while 11 others have.

Has not appeared in a game for the Broncos this season...expected to redshirt in 2011-12.

PAGE 12 (of 25)
http://www.broncosports.com/fls/9900/we ... EM_ID=9900
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 am

Yes, he is redshirting.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby lazer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 am

balla45 wrote:Hanstad has more upside than Dufault in my mind because he is more of a pure scorer. 6'4'' is tall enough to be a 2 guard in D1. If nothing else, he can be a volume 3 point shooter, like a JJ Reddick.

Not to sure of a JJ Redick..I think hes more of pull up jumper and driver. That's just my opinion on what I think he's the best at. I mean he's an amazing shot, but with that height he should be taking advantage of lane. Austin Rivers is what he plays like, a good shot when left open behind the ark, he can't be guarded by anyone and he can definitely create space! Good luck to him.
lazer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigfish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

I tried finding Joe Handstad on Youtube and i found this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZ9MHbGQeo
1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
bigfish
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Unique.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:42 pm

bigfish wrote:I tried finding Joe Handstad on Youtube and i found this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZ9MHbGQeo

That's not Handstad. haha
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby luvndhoops » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:01 pm

baseball wrote:
sports_fanatic wrote:

Good find...but the 100th ranked recruit by ESPN is a 93. that means there are 100 players ranked between 98-93. makes you wonder how many are ranked between 93 and 82. granted its a different class...but even for 2011 the 60th player is a 93.

Joe is in a tough situation, I just don't see him getting much time over the next few years. There coach really seems to want a more athletic kid at Joes spot. School is more important, so i hope he stays, but dont expect him to get major minutes throughout his career there! I have spoken to a few D1 coaches (one who was actually at BSU last year) and feels the same way. It will be interesting to see what he does over the next few years. I truly hope for the best, but BSU doesnt look good for him! I hope I'm wrong but i dont think I am.
luvndhoops
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Flip wrote:Is Hanstad red shirting? 2 games into the season and he hasn't logged a minute while 11 others have.

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Has not appeared in a game for the Broncos this season...expected to redshirt in 2011-12.

PAGE 12 (of 25)
http://www.broncosports.com/fls/9900/we ... EM_ID=9900
balla45 wrote:Yes, he is redshirting.

He did not redshirt.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... oe-hanstad
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 pm

He was redshirting and had it pulled after a player got injured. He did redshirt. :D

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/1 ... ss_season_

I was not aware that I needed to update a thread that no one had been commenting on.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 pm

I wonder if someone got hurt, he started last game and played 26 minutes.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys