Basketball Stories From the Past

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Basketball Stories From the Past

Postby Oilers » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:True story. Was very young at the time, but remember it created quite a stir in the community.

Great Stories - I bet you would be fun to listen to over a few drinks at the local pub!!!
Oilers
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm

yadot wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:It was around 1973. During a high school bb game, the lights went out in the gym. This happened quite frequently back then. It was jet black in the gymnasium, and one of the home town players punched a visiting team player in the face. When the lights came back on, the visiting player told his coach (it was quite apparent he had been punched). The visiting coach pulled his players off the court and loaded them up and left without finishing the game. They ended up forfeiting the game.
Wow. This really happened bison-vikes? Anybody else recall this? Thats crazy.

It turned out to be a pretty bad situation. That's why I didn't put any team names in. Believe it went to court to be settled as far as the forfeit.

Oilers wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:True story. Was very young at the time, but remember it created quite a stir in the community.

Great Stories - I bet you would be fun to listen to over a few drinks at the local pub!!!

It's not what you know but who you know.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Anybody remember "fat" Davey Johnson jumping on top of big Dan Swift in a region tournament game in Grafton?

Dave Johnson was a great ref from Minnewaukan. They called him "fat" Davey because there was an even skinnier ref from the Park River area of the same name.

Dan was 6'2" and all of 240 - a big, bruising forward. He played on MPCG's great 90's teams.

Dan had a breakaway in a region tournament game (can't remember the opponent) and a defender hustled to catch up to him and hacked him pretty hard from behind at the hoop. It took a lot to knock Dan off his feet so that tells you how hard the foul was. Fat Dave was the lead official and as Dan went down on the end line Dave jumped on top of him.

Dan was peeved and ready to knock some sense into the defender when he looked at who was laying on top of him and it was Dave. Dan started to smile and the whole situation was diffused instantly.

It was one of the best pieces of officiating I've ever seen.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby woodchuck10 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:58 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Anybody know Coach Gremmels from back in the day at Mayville St? He used to tell a couple stories about his coaching days back in Hunter/Arther and St. John. There was one story about how he had 5 players at St. John and they had a very good team, but they had to use the water boy as a sub at times because of foul trouble. I think this was back in the 60s sometime.

i think i may have heard that exact story from the waterboy himself! haha
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:42 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Do you remember his sons name? Seen him at a UND basketball game a while back. Hadn't seen him in years. Played sports against him in the old days.
Did Jerry Kringlie take over for Coach Gremmels?

Gerry Kringlie was the Comets men's coach in the early 80s. Coach Gremmels took over the women about 84. I believe that Andy Heitkamp followed Coach G.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:Gerry Kringlie was the Comets men's coach in the early 80s. Coach Gremmels took over the women about 84. I believe that Andy Heitkamp followed Coach G.

Gerry, not Jerry, is correct. Do you remember who Gerry took over for? Did you know Mickey, his son at all? Pretty sure Dave Agnes from Rolette was still playing at Mayville during this time. Great ball player.

It seems the Mylo Flash has gained even more popularity since the start of this thread. Am surprised, as he is a walking, breathing Legend anyway. Another story I heard is that the Flash is an avid Dallas Cowboy fan and actually lost a bin of canola to a guy because our beloved Minnesota Vikings destroyed them a number of years back. Can anybody verify this?

Also, has anybody ever heard of Cavin Anderson (sp). Another guy that I watched many years ago who was an absolute stud. Watched him make 7 out of 10 hookshots from half court during halftime of an amateur tourney. Unbelievable.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:36 pm

1992 Munich vs Leeds. both teams had gone to state previous year, Munich taking 2nd and Leeds taking 5th after going in undefeated but losing a starter to a knee injury in regionals. Both teams had studs in Marty Mcdonald and Jason Haagenson, plus loaded with other athletes. Game was in Leeds, standing room only, some said almost 1000 people in the gym. The school had plowed all the snow off the fball practice field to have enough parking. Went down to the wire with Munich pulling it off 86-83. McDonald had 43 and I think Haagenson had 41. Teams met again in the state championship that year and in another barn burner, Munich pulled it off 70-65.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:1992 Munich vs Leeds. both teams had gone to state previous year, Munich taking 2nd and Leeds taking 5th after going in undefeated but losing a starter to a knee injury in regionals. Both teams had studs in Marty Mcdonald and Jason Haagenson, plus loaded with other athletes. Game was in Leeds, standing room only, some said almost 1000 people in the gym. The school had plowed all the snow off the fball practice field to have enough parking. Went down to the wire with Munich pulling it off 86-83. McDonald had 43 and I think Haagenson had 41. Teams met again in the state championship that year and in another barn burner, Munich pulled it off 70-65.

Its unreal how fast time goes by and how good some of these players were.......I was in Langdon when Munich and Langdon with Danny Phillips played in 92 to see who left that region....that to was a barn burner with absolutely no standing room....

nobody since 6'2" Marty has mastered the low post like he did, Danny was 6'5" with a 30 inch vertical and Marty could turn around fade slightly (he to was 30 some inches off the floor)....SWISH!!...after in Bounced off the board of course
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:49 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:1992 Munich vs Leeds. both teams had gone to state previous year, Munich taking 2nd and Leeds taking 5th after going in undefeated but losing a starter to a knee injury in regionals. Both teams had studs in Marty Mcdonald and Jason Haagenson, plus loaded with other athletes. Game was in Leeds, standing room only, some said almost 1000 people in the gym. The school had plowed all the snow off the fball practice field to have enough parking. Went down to the wire with Munich pulling it off 86-83. McDonald had 43 and I think Haagenson had 41. Teams met again in the state championship that year and in another barn burner, Munich pulled it off 70-65.

Good stuff. Big names in big games. Question, was the player that went down with a knee injury, Shawn "The Moon Walker" Blegen?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

Good stuff. Big names in big games. Question, was the player that went down with a knee injury, Shawn "The Moon Walker" Blegen?

haha, it sure was
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 2XSTATECHAMP » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:35 pm

True story Bison-Vikes1 is telling. The Mylo Flash is gaining his popularity back. It is also true that he did lose a bin of canola on that game, but settled for a six pack and a pound. The legend lives on.
2XSTATECHAMP
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:54 pm

This story is about the first day of practice in a college program and our first game/scrimmage.

As we warmed up prior to our first official practice, it was a loose atmosphere. When Coach blew his whistle and told everyone to take a seat, we jogged towards the bleachers. That is where everything about this man changed. His face got red and he started to rant about how this was his gym and when the whistle blows everybody better be sprinting and keep their mouths shut. There were people in the stands watching and they began to laugh. He walked right over to them and kicked them all out of the gym and told his assistant that nobody else was allowed to enter.
We played our first game against alumni players a couple of weeks later. We found ourselves down at halftime. We were sitting in the locker room, now knowing this was going to get ugly when he arrived. He walked in, closed the door and launched his aluminum clipboard (he had broken so many regular ones, he upgraded to aluminum so that he could bend it back into shape) at our starting point guard. I swear if it would have it him it would have knocked him out or killed him. He went on a rampage, reaching into his pocket and getting out a dime. Telling us he was going to a payphone and calling 10 guys from out of state who would kick our butts. Going on about how he stuck his neck out on the line for us "local boys" and how we were embarrassing him and the community. Well, we came back and won. During the course of that year we did improve and did very well. He received a minimum of 5 technical fouls for launching that aluminum clipboard onto the court. Papers flying everywhere. Oh, my, what memories.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys