Did I read that right? Minot Ryan crossed the 100 pt mark?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Did I read that right? Minot Ryan crossed the 100 pt mark?

Postby coach » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:23 pm

How is this score in comparisons to Beach's score 100 point win vs. Ray from previous year? Sportsmanship crossing boundaries? Or is it good team just playing poor team?
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Did I read that right? Minot Ryan crossed the 100 pt mar

Postby blindside2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 am

They beat Berthold 102 27 on Thursday night. Put your bench in. There is no excuse for that. All that is going to do is make the opponents really want to put the grind to them.
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MTfan4life » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:06 am

I had forgotten about last years debacle. That was the worst thing ever. When I was a senior we had five seniors starting and we played a team composed mainly of freshmen and sophomores in our first game of the season. We pressed like madmen in the first quarter and were up 32-8. After that, our coach told us to no longer fast break, five passes before any shot. Telling your team to lay off a little against an obviously less talented team is not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of respect. Even if you have a really talented jv, there's no shame in lowering the intensity.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:10 am

With a shot clock u still have to shoot every 30-35 seconds even if you run your offense until u get a lay up...games like will happen.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wolves65 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56 am

if you look at their scores all year they have been running it up. They are young but that is no excuse.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jjsmom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 am

Last edited by jjsmom on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjsmom
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 70runner » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 am

I witnessed a game last week where the winning team was up by 50 points and was still pressing. Now I understand that when a good team plays a poor team they may want to use some of the time to practice there press but at what point does it become useless. I saw the coach from the winning team yelling at his girls to push it up the court in the fourth quater with all five starters in the game. They didn't even use the time to run their offense, they just drove and shot, they usually had their basket with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock. As a fan of the losing team I was embarrased for the fans of the winning team, they even quit cheering. I would have liked to ask the coach after the game if he felt good about himself, but there is no point. The winning teams players would take the ball out of bounds and start to slowly work their way up the court, the coach would stand up and yell at them to move the ball, get up the court! To me it was a disgrace to the game, the winning teams girls even felt bad, but the coach was so proud of himself.

All this will do is cause problems in the future. The losing team has an outstanding group of girls in Jr. High. The winning team is pretty slim at Jr. High, if in a few years if the table is turned there is no way our team would do the same thing, but if it has the opportunity I would like to talk to the coach then and remind him of the difference in the show of sportsmanship.
70runner
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 pm

For everyone that says "put your bench in" do we know that MR didn't play their bench? Also, you can't always play your bench as much as you want as they may only have 2 quarters to play in the varsity game. Maybe MR pressed the whole game, which would be unfortunate, but you can't automatically assume they were disrespectful to the other team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Bishop Ryan 102, Berthold 27

B 5 15 26 27

BR 24 57 79 102

B: Beth Limke 12, Jordyn Hornberger 5, Cassidy Limke 4, Madison Erickson 2, Jessi Johnson 2, Mychal Fjeldahl 2. Totals 9-31 8-14 27

BR: Anika Rovig 19, Gabbie Bohl 18, Sydney Landsiedel 18, Hannah Stewart 16, Maddie Wald 15, Laurin Leidholt 6, Quinn Harmon 5, Sheyenne Schmidt 3, Sydney Marmon 2. Totals 43-66 7-9 102

86 points scored by 5 players, I do not know their starters though. Also just because the other team is bad does not mean that the starters should not get to play, the JV players already got their minutes in the JV game. There is a fine line, hopefully they acted respectfully.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby coach » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 pm

70runner wrote:I witnessed a game last week where the winning team was up by 50 points and was still pressing. Now I understand that when a good team plays a poor team they may want to use some of the time to practice there press but at what point does it become useless. I saw the coach from the winning team yelling at his girls to push it up the court in the fourth quater with all five starters in the game. They didn't even use the time to run their offense, they just drove and shot, they usually had their basket with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock. As a fan of the losing team I was embarrased for the fans of the winning team, they even quit cheering. I would have liked to ask the coach after the game if he felt good about himself, but there is no point. The winning teams players would take the ball out of bounds and start to slowly work their way up the court, the coach would stand up and yell at them to move the ball, get up the court! To me it was a disgrace to the game, the winning teams girls even felt bad, but the coach was so proud of himself.

All this will do is cause problems in the future. The losing team has an outstanding group of girls in Jr. High. The winning team is pretty slim at Jr. High, if in a few years if the table is turned there is no way our team would do the same thing, but if it has the opportunity I would like to talk to the coach then and remind him of the difference in the show of sportsmanship.

What team was this that ran the score up?
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:35 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:Bishop Ryan 102, Berthold 27

B 5 15 26 27

BR 24 57 79 102

B: Beth Limke 12, Jordyn Hornberger 5, Cassidy Limke 4, Madison Erickson 2, Jessi Johnson 2, Mychal Fjeldahl 2. Totals 9-31 8-14 27

BR: Anika Rovig 19, Gabbie Bohl 18, Sydney Landsiedel 18, Hannah Stewart 16, Maddie Wald 15, Laurin Leidholt 6, Quinn Harmon 5, Sheyenne Schmidt 3, Sydney Marmon 2. Totals 43-66 7-9 102

86 points scored by 5 players, I do not know their starters though. Also just because the other team is bad does not mean that the starters should not get to play, the JV players already got their minutes in the JV game. There is a fine line, hopefully they acted respectfully.

was anyone there that could give insight...because there are several scenarios that could have played out in this matchup...and many of you are looking at the worst possible scenario. I think they could have put up 130+ if they had just kept their starters in all 4 quarters. Bohl and Stewart probably could have scored 30+ points each.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby rafspit » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:33 pm

I went and checked out the Berthold-Ryan game.

The Ryan team is very young.
1 senior, 1 junior, 3 Soph, 5 freshman, 2 8th graders

The score was 24-5 at the end of the first quarter
The score was 57-15 at halftime.
The 5 Starters 1 junior, 2 Soph, 2 Freshman played most of the first quarter.
Ryan did not use the press at all during the game.
At that point the game was over. This was a complete mismatch game.

The points scored in the first 3 and a half quarters were lay ups and rebound put backs.
Bad passes and steals leading to quick layups made this hard to watch.
Ryan shot 43 of 66 for a 65% from the floor. Any misses they rebound and put it back up.
Most of these were rebounds and what we use to call “Garbage layups”

The 5 starters did not play together the rest of the game.
Saying that though, they still need playing time so numerous combinations of players were in and out
By the 4th though it was 1 starter guard running the team and the second string and JV players that dress varsity
And some of those JV ran out of quarters they could play.

At no time was this “in your face” basketball.

Berthold scored 11 points in the 3rd and 1 point in the 4th quarter
No press and bad passing and turnovers left the ball in Ryan’s hands most of the second half.
With 3:20 left in the game Ryan had 84 points, and a bad pass out of bounds and a layup then
another bad pass and layup it was 88.

All this time Ryan is holding the ball for 20-25 seconds before scoring with a quick pass and a layup.

Now after that I would hate to be on the other end of this and what goes around does comes around.
But by this time the starters are on the bench the 8th & 9th graders are playing, The game is over.
The crowd is into it and for whatever reason they can’t miss.( 65% shooting)

What is the coach suppose to do? Tell them to turn it over.

At 2+ minutes Ryan broke 93 and the crowd started counting down. Right or wrong including myself,
I have played in or watched 100's of BB games.
I had never seen a 3 digit Class B score and at this point I wanted to see it.
95 then 97 then a tree pointer by the 8th Grader hits 100 at under a minute

After saying all this, Ryan has a very good team, not as good as Velva,
but a very good team. Berthold is down this year, they will be back, that is the nature of Class B BB.
If in a few years Berthold comes back and smacks Ryan so be it.

But everyone knows players do not get hurt playing at their normal pace and tempo
they get hurt changing everything up. You have to let them play.
With tournaments coming up, the last thing anyone needs is an injury
caused by someone trying to play at 50% effort.
rafspit
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wolves65 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Defending any team who tons up the score is tough. You don't hang that type of number unless you are trying to. Shooting a 3 to make it a 100? What goes around comes around.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bball15 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:10 pm

I was at the game. I don't think ryan played with bad sportsmanship. Like rafspit said they didn't press at all and ran their offense and worked the shot clock on most possesions. They also played all their players, most for multiple quarters. When there is this much of a mismatch, that is just how the score ends up sometimes.
bball15
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

wolves65 wrote:Defending any team who tons up the score is tough. You don't hang that type of number unless you are trying to. Shooting a 3 to make it a 100? What goes around comes around.

She's an 8th grader that doesn't play. When the bench gets cleared those kids want to be able to shoot the ball too. You can't get mad that an 8th grader took what was probably a wide open 3 and made it.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:Bishop Ryan 102, Berthold 27

B 5 15 26 27

BR 24 57 79 102

The starters are Bohl, Stewart, Harmon, Landsiedel, and Rovig. Wald and Leidholt are the only two off the bench that really ever see important minutes.

Ryan has been in the 90's twice and now broke 100 once this year. They don't really run it up that much. All three games they were on or over the pace for 100 at halftime. They play a fast tempo so they score a lot early on bad teams. There schedule is absolutely horrendous too. Velva was the first decent team they played other than Shiloh who is mostly one player (which they let go for 35).
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Ryan shot 43 of 66 for a 65% from the floor.

Wow! I think this should put to rest if they were being unsportsmanlike. 66 shots is not an extraordinary amount when you are playing a completely mismatched team. Had Ryan shot 43-90, you would have a lot better case for them "running up the score." 43 for 66 is just sickly efficient.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby coach » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 am

Great insight on this topic. The winning coach has a harder time trying to keep the score under 100 than the opposing team does of trying to break 20. At no point should that team feel bad then if it's 8th graders running the show, doing what they want.

As you said, the nature of class B GBB will bring Berthold back to being competitive with Ryan at some point.

rafspit wrote:I went and checked out the Berthold-Ryan game.

The Ryan team is very young.
1 senior, 1 junior, 3 Soph, 5 freshman, 2 8th graders

The score was 24-5 at the end of the first quarter
The score was 57-15 at halftime.
The 5 Starters 1 junior, 2 Soph, 2 Freshman played most of the first quarter.
Ryan did not use the press at all during the game.
At that point the game was over. This was a complete mismatch game.

The points scored in the first 3 and a half quarters were lay ups and rebound put backs.
Bad passes and steals leading to quick layups made this hard to watch.
Ryan shot 43 of 66 for a 65% from the floor. Any misses they rebound and put it back up.
Most of these were rebounds and what we use to call “Garbage layups”

The 5 starters did not play together the rest of the game.
Saying that though, they still need playing time so numerous combinations of players were in and out
By the 4th though it was 1 starter guard running the team and the second string and JV players that dress varsity
And some of those JV ran out of quarters they could play.

At no time was this “in your face” basketball.

Berthold scored 11 points in the 3rd and 1 point in the 4th quarter
No press and bad passing and turnovers left the ball in Ryan’s hands most of the second half.
With 3:20 left in the game Ryan had 84 points, and a bad pass out of bounds and a layup then
another bad pass and layup it was 88.

All this time Ryan is holding the ball for 20-25 seconds before scoring with a quick pass and a layup.

Now after that I would hate to be on the other end of this and what goes around does comes around.
But by this time the starters are on the bench the 8th & 9th graders are playing, The game is over.
The crowd is into it and for whatever reason they can’t miss.( 65% shooting)

What is the coach suppose to do? Tell them to turn it over.

At 2+ minutes Ryan broke 93 and the crowd started counting down. Right or wrong including myself,
I have played in or watched 100's of BB games.
I had never seen a 3 digit Class B score and at this point I wanted to see it.
95 then 97 then a tree pointer by the 8th Grader hits 100 at under a minute

After saying all this, Ryan has a very good team, not as good as Velva,
but a very good team. Berthold is down this year, they will be back, that is the nature of Class B BB.
If in a few years Berthold comes back and smacks Ryan so be it.

But everyone knows players do not get hurt playing at their normal pace and tempo
they get hurt changing everything up. You have to let them play.
With tournaments coming up, the last thing anyone needs is an injury
caused by someone trying to play at 50% effort.
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:18 am

Why should any team feel bad about playing great basketball. They have put in the time and they deserve time on the court. Yes.... you don't need to press but it is very dangerous to tell a team to pull back.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Why should any team feel bad about playing great basketball. They have put in the time and they deserve time on the court. Yes.... you don't need to press but it is very dangerous to tell a team to pull back.

How exactly is it dangerous to tell a team to pull back? I see no danger in telling a team to when the other team has much less basketball ability. I have had teams that I have told not to take the ball away unless they are passing it to the post. Before the shot clock I would tell them no shots until you have run at least 30 seconds off the clock. You don't make the other team look bad by throwing it in for and then passing up a layup. A team can tell when you start to pull back and it can be done without humiliating them.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby lions700 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Ryan actually has one eigth grader
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lions700 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 pm

I was watching this game and the Lions put in their non starters at some different times in the Game. lovewatchingsports also had a great point, the JV players might not have had enough quarter left.
In the game, Ryan played everyone on the bench and sat their starters the final 5 minutes of the game.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball15 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm

d_fense wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Why should any team feel bad about playing great basketball. They have put in the time and they deserve time on the court. Yes.... you don't need to press but it is very dangerous to tell a team to pull back.

How exactly is it dangerous to tell a team to pull back? I see no danger in telling a team to when the other team has much less basketball ability. I have had teams that I have told not to take the ball away unless they are passing it to the post. Before the shot clock I would tell them no shots until you have run at least 30 seconds off the clock. You don't make the other team look bad by throwing it in for and then passing up a layup. A team can tell when you start to pull back and it can be done without humiliating them.

I have to disagree with you d_fense. IMO pulling back can make the other team feel even worse sometimes. This can give them the sense that you are going easy on them, and i know most teams have enough pride that they would want the oppents to go out there and compete their best.
bball15
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:36 pm

I had a feeling scores like this would happen with the shot clock. The questions I have to ask those of you who think this isn't right are as follow:
1. Who's job is it to stop a team? Their coach or the opposing coach?
2. If the team is good their starters should only get to play 2 quarters because they are superior to the other team? That's not fair.
3. If you are preparing for better teams down the road the best place to do that is "in-game" situations. If you are a team that will press the whole game against better teams why shouldn't you work on it in your other games?

As a coach my job is to make my team as prepared as they possibly can be come tournament time, it is not my job to make the other teams fans,players, coaches etc... happy. If you don't like getting beat by 70 points put in some work in the offseason to do something about it. Now I'm not meaning any of these statements directly at the Berthold team or the Minot Bishop Ryan team. These are just my thoughts on the whole idea of running up the score. If there were different circumstances during this game I could understand people being upset, but I am not aware of those at this time.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby coach » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Great way of putting it!

The Schwab wrote:I had a feeling scores like this would happen with the shot clock. The questions I have to ask those of you who think this isn't right are as follow:
1. Who's job is it to stop a team? Their coach or the opposing coach?
2. If the team is good their starters should only get to play 2 quarters because they are superior to the other team? That's not fair.
3. If you are preparing for better teams down the road the best place to do that is "in-game" situations. If you are a team that will press the whole game against better teams why shouldn't you work on it in your other games?

As a coach my job is to make my team as prepared as they possibly can be come tournament time, it is not my job to make the other teams fans,players, coaches etc... happy. If you don't like getting beat by 70 points put in some work in the offseason to do something about it. Now I'm not meaning any of these statements directly at the Berthold team or the Minot Bishop Ryan team. These are just my thoughts on the whole idea of running up the score. If there were different circumstances during this game I could understand people being upset, but I am not aware of those at this time.
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Girls