Kindred vs Central Cass

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Kindred vs Central Cass

Postby coach » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:47 am

who was at this game? What type of game was it? Defensive battle or offensive struggles? What type of game was it?
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Kindred vs Central Cass

Postby gobison#6 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Central Cass shot something like 27%. Both teams had good stretches of offense but neither had great stretches of offense. So I would say it was mainly offensive struggles cause by decent defense.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby VOTCC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 pm

That happens when 2 good teams that are very familiar with one another (low scoring/defensive game). Both teams know what teams like to do & know the opponent's move's well, congrats to Kindred in round 1. Good luck to both in district/regional tourney, guessing they will meet a few more time.
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Kindred tops Central Cass in battle of undefeated girls basketball teams
CASSELTON, N.D.
By: Heath Hotzler, INFORUM

CASSELTON, N.D. – The Kindred girls basketball team is all about defense.

The Vikings pester opponents with a full-court press, and teams consistently have a tough time getting open looks at the basket.

However, Saturday’s defensive effort was something different. This was pure, dominant perfection in the biggest game of the season.

Casey Allmaras scored 15 points and No. 6 Kindred limited No. 1 Central Cass to 27 percent shooting from the field en route to a 42-31 North Dakota Class B, District 2 victory in a battle of undefeated teams at Central Cass High School gymnasium.

“It was a really big game, personally,” Allmaras said. “We always want to beat Casselton. They have always a rival of ours. One of us had to keep our undefeated record, and I’m just really glad it ended up being us.”

Kindred (14-0) was on top of its game from the start on the defensive end of the court, holding the Squirrels to two field goals in the first quarter.

The Vikings held a 10-4 lead after the opening eight minutes.

Offensive balance was the spark for Kindred, which had seven players score in the first half.

Central Cass (12-1) remained in the game despite shooting woes throughout.

Kindred led 22-15 at halftime.

“They are a good team, and a good defensive team,” Squirrels coach Ryan Mears said. “I told the girls that we probably won’t shoot that bad again. We will be able to rebound from that. It was a night when things didn’t fall for us.”

The Vikings extended the lead in the third quarter when junior Kellie Schmit got hot in the paint. Schmit scored six of her eight points in the third to help Kindred to a 32-24 lead with a quarter to play.

But the game wasn’t decided until late in the fourth.

Central Cass capitalized on a couple Kindred miscues to cut the lead to 34-29 with three minutes remaining.

Allmaras poured in seven points in the fourth, including a timely 3-pointer when the Squirrels appeared on the brink of a comeback.

Braidy Dahl finished with eight points and 11 rebounds for Kindred.

Bethany Voss had eight points for Central Cass, which was also hampered by foul trouble much of the game.

“Everyone’s mental capabilities change,” Allmaras said. “Everyone’s mindset is that we need to be intense all the time for games like this and not slack off. This is definitely the best game we’ve had all year. We stepped it up hardcore on the defensive end.”

Kindred 10 22 32 42

Central Cass 4 15 24 31

KINDRED: Allmaras 3 6-6 15, Graff 2 0-2 4, Schmit 4 0-4 8, Glasow 1 0-0 2, Dahl 3 2-2 8, Otterson 0 1-2 1, Bugner 0 2-6 2, Podolak 1 0-0 2. Totals: 14 11-22 42.

CENTRAL CASS: Weber 0 1-2 1, Voss 3 1-1 8, Titus 1 0-0 2, Breske 2 1-2 5, Dixon 3 0-0 6, Tronson 1 1-4 3, Radermacher 1 0-0 2, Wieland 0 1-2 1. Totals: 11 8-15 31.

3-pointers: Allmaras 3, Voss. Total fouls: K 15, CC 19. Fouled out: Weber. Rebounds: K 30 (Dahl 11), CC 22 (Weber, Tronson 6).
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:50 pm

coach wrote:who was at this game? What type of game was it? Defensive battle or offensive struggles? What type of game was it?

Several girls got in foul trouble early on (both teams), so that changed the game somewhat. Central Cass shot very poorly - even the easy shots didn't go in. CC did not break Kindred's press very well and just did not have a good game overall.

It's OK to lose this one. Heck, it's even OK to lose the district championship (like CC did to Kindred in VB). The only game that really matters between these two teams in the Regional championship (ya, ya, they've got to both get there first, but I don't see any other region teams standing in the way).

Interesting note... the seniors on both these teams played together on a travel team back in their JH days. There are some good friendships in the mix. Makes for a great rivalry!
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 am

It sounds like both teams struggled with shooting, but that Kindred evened theirs out with rebounding (30-22).
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 am

I was at that game and it was a case of two teams that know each other well. It was a very physical game. Both teams going at it... the main difference was that Kindred played four quaters and Central Cass played three. Both teams shot poorly because they played great defense..... Kindred plays pressure the ball for the full game, full court and trap at any time... that is their game. Yes Central Cass and many other teams have better bball talent but you will not find to many teams that have as many athelets as Kindred.
It would be great if they were in different regions so we could see them square off in State.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby StraightShooter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:48 am

Tough faught game by both teams. Give credit to Kindred for coming out and puttin' in to CC. They were much more physical and played with a lot more energy throughout the game. CC seemed intimidated by the press and was not able to break it, which surpirsed me to be honest. Obviously, CC did not shoot well either. Lots of defensive lapses by CC as well. I remember at one point in the game I think CC cut the lead to 5 and Kindred called timeout. Out of the timeout, CC didn't match up and left Allmaras (sp?) wide open from 3 and she drilled it. That was the dagger. Should be a fun if they play come tournament time.

I have to point something out, though. I know that this site frowns upon harping on officials but this game was an absolute joke. This game was one of the most physical basketball games I have ever seen. The officials let WAY too much body contact go. When an offensive player is breaking to the ball and the defensive player runs right through them to get the ball, that is a foul. I don't understand what officials are looking at sometimes. The final score was 42-31. That is ridiculous. These are supposed to be two of the best teams in the state and that's the score? Poor shooting and good defense was part of it, but when the game is that rough, it's impossible to score. People wonder why scoring is down? It's because the refs allow WAY to much contact on the dribble, drive, and shot.

I am in no way saying that the reffing affected the outcome of the game or it favored one side or the other. I thought it was rough for both sides and that both teams should have been called for more fouls. But I just thought it was absolutely ridiculous how this game was officiated.
StraightShooter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wolves65 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:16 am

breske, titus and dixon all in foul trouble the reffing had an effect on the game. I have never been a fan of the 3 refs unless you are going to do that all season long. The ref that called the CC coach for a T called alot of crap the first half and then nothing the second. How are kids suppose to play when one trip down the floor they call a nudge and the next bodies are flying and no call. That being said Kindred won the game and earned it. The best way to beat Kindred is make them play basketball. Pack a zone and make them shoot the ball and that will cause them trouble. Richland did that to them in districts last year and almost stole a win and FCT did it to them in the regions. They are athletes first and basketball players second. They are tough to beat when you try to match atheletes but make them play in the half court you have a chance.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bisonfan11 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:50 pm

I agree almost 100% with wolves. You can't beat kindred by getting into an uptempo ball game. It has to be a controlled half court game if you're going to beat them. I think it would be best to play them man....and make a decision on which kids to pressure and which to give room to shoot. They hit the offensive glass well and this gives each defender a person that they ALWAYS box out.
I'm interested to see if teams change their game plan against kindred in the postseason.
bisonfan11
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 am

I agree with you guys completely. The best Basketball player for them is Dahl... hands down. But they have some of the best Atheletes in the state. No question. You need to slow it down, use the shot clock and make them play a half court game. But trust me if you let the girls shoot with out pressure... you are toast... if you let Dahl on the inside... she will go for 30.
Kindred is good but they still have the CC monkey on their back.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Return to Girls