Basketball Stories From the Past

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Basketball Stories From the Past

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am

winner-within wrote:

Whats his real name?

Steve Lewis.

winner-within wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:wanderer, that really is an incredible story. Question, was the foul a legit call?

winner-within wrote:great story...I saw that team play a couple of times, knew a few of the boys.
The days of a roster full of ND boys like that are over...Wow!.... Lyndon was a machine...so was Mark Hochstetler.

Rollie, an older brother was no slouch either. Believe he played at VCSU in the late '70s, maybe around the time Al Dvorak was at Mayville.

I think Todd Trudel (Cando) and Richard Dufault (argyle MN, Austins dad) were right after Rollie at VCSU....good memories. :)

Yep. Todd graduated in '82 and played 2 years for Lake Region. He went to VCSU '84-'85, '85-'86. Think Rollie graduated around '77, but not sure if he went straight to Valley or not.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:32 am

[quote="Bison-Vikes #1"]wanderer, that really is an incredible story. Question, was the foul a legit call?

the foul was legit but kind of a touchy call. Brent Herbel was one who fouled him. Brent was a real smart basketball player and great athlete. He ended up playing football for the gophers. (punter/kicker). I remember meeting lou holtz when he came up to recruit him. Grafton's team was a pressing quick team that didnt starrt any one taller than 6'. I think they were so inherently used to pressure defense that it just happened. Grafton Had a four year run at the state Class A in the mid 80's. brings back great memories.
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:42 am

I remember him. Question, was Greg Feldman (sp) during that time as well? Didn't he go on to play at Moorhead? He was one tough player.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:I remember him. Question, was Greg Feldman (sp) during that time as well? Didn't he go on to play at Moorhead? He was one tough player.

Greg( (tiny) Feltman, an athletic 6'5" center with great skill set, played in Grafton 78-80(?). Greg was one of the players we all looked up to growing up wanting to be basket ball players like him when we got to be BIG. lol HE still lives and farms in Grafton. He has a daughter that plays on Graftons girls team. she is pretty good. He also has a 5th grade son that is good for a youngster as well.
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 pm

thewanderer wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:I remember him. Question, was Greg Feldman (sp) during that time as well? Didn't he go on to play at Moorhead? He was one tough player.

Greg( (tiny) Feltman, an athletic 6'5" center with great skill set, played in Grafton 78-80(?). Greg was one of the players we all looked up to growing up wanting to be basket ball players like him when we got to be BIG. lol HE still lives and farms in Grafton. He has a daughter that plays on Graftons girls team. she is pretty good. He also has a 5th grade son that is good for a youngster as well.

He still plays on wedneday and Sunday nights and man he can still play.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:52 pm

The Dickinson Press has posted the legendary 1992 District game that finished with a final score of Hettinger 4, Regent 2. The youtube video for the game is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9kwr8NZDjw

*There's a chance that this video will be taken down from youtube for length.

It is really incredible that the game played out this way and both coaches and teams were content with the strategy. The one disappointing thing from this game is that Regent's strategy worked to perfection when it came down to the final possession, yet they didn't even get a quality look for their final shot.

Watch the entire game - it only takes 34 minutes!
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 pm

whats the most Lopsided score anyone has seen or been part of in Class B???.......Our School had lost to a School in 1977 like 104 to 52....years later our coach pulled out this old stat book before the game and said, OK lets get em back!.....we won 108 to 36....our best Player had 36 at halftime and sat the rest of the Game.......the whole bench scored (looked crazy in the Herald the next morning) but Ironically one of the starters who normally averaged 8 to 10 was held scoreless....lol
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndpreps09 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Its a sure good thing that shot didn't count, because he would probably be in the NBA these days instead of masterfully making batch after batch of the best beef sticks North Dakota has ever seen.
ndpreps09
NDPreps Starter

Postby classb_fan00 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:57 pm

ndpreps09 wrote:Its a sure good thing that shot didn't count, because he would probably be in the NBA these days instead of masterfully making batch after batch of the best beef sticks North Dakota has ever seen.

I dont care how well he could shoot the ball, the guy makes one heck of a beef stick!
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:21 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:The Dickinson Press has posted the legendary 1992 District game that finished with a final score of Hettinger 4, Regent 2. The youtube video for the game is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9kwr8NZDjw

*There's a chance that this video will be taken down from youtube for length.

It is really incredible that the game played out this way and both coaches and teams were content with the strategy. The one disappointing thing from this game is that Regent's strategy worked to perfection when it came down to the final possession, yet they didn't even get a quality look for their final shot.

Watch the entire game - it only takes 34 minutes!

That's pretty sweet to have the game on video. Couldn't watch the whole thing, so had to fast forward to the end of the quarters. Hettingers offense wasn't much more than a stall, too. Both of the possessions they scored on they had the ball for over 2 min. Did Hettinger go to state that year? I know they went sometime in the early 90s.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 am

One thing I really respected about Munich, is the Gym was always open.....Just like the Church was, (funny thing, Basketball was like a religion)......go in, use it for what its meant for, everybody new that the community was watching . ...

In most towns just like today you have to hunt down the person with a key.....and that certain person just loves his authority and has every excuse in the book why you cant have it.....(ridiculous).........Steve Bleam and Todd Olson had the Key to the Gym..........and there were no PS3's.............If you ever get a chance to talk to Phillip or Melvin ........ask them how many times they had a controller in their hands.... that alone should be part of the criteria to any Mr. anything award.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby 2XSTATECHAMP » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:11 pm

This is what i like to read, these stories are really interesting, please keep them coming. I could read these all day.
2XSTATECHAMP
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:25 pm

It was around 1973. During a high school bb game, the lights went out in the gym. This happened quite frequently back then. It was jet black in the gymnasium, and one of the home town players punched a visiting team player in the face. When the lights came back on, the visiting player told his coach (it was quite apparent he had been punched). The visiting coach pulled his players off the court and loaded them up and left without finishing the game. They ended up forfeiting the game.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Anybody know Coach Gremmels from back in the day at Mayville St? He used to tell a couple stories about his coaching days back in Hunter/Arther and St. John. There was one story about how he had 5 players at St. John and they had a very good team, but they had to use the water boy as a sub at times because of foul trouble. I think this was back in the 60s sometime.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Believe it was Chuck Gremmels.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Believe it was Chuck Gremmels.

Yeah, I know it was Chuck. Everybody just called him coach, though.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Do you remember his sons name? Seen him at a UND basketball game a while back. Hadn't seen him in years. Played sports against him in the old days.
Did Jerry Kringlie take over for Coach Gremmels?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Do you remember his sons name? Seen him at a UND basketball game a while back. Hadn't seen him in years. Played sports against him in the old days.
Did Jerry Kringlie take over for Coach Gremmels?

Son's name is Jim, but everyone just calls him 'G'. I don't know who took over for Chuck, but I think Jim is still there. It's been 7-8 years now since I've been around Mayville.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:16 pm

That's it, thanks. Thinking about it now, Jerry Kringlie would have been the Comet's coach sometime in the early '80s. Believe his son Mickey went to the state tournament around then with the M-P high school team.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Also, Chuck quit coaching quite a fews year back but kept teaching up until 7-8 years ago probably. I never had him as a coach, but took a couple classes from him for coaching and always enjoyed his stories. Just wish I could remember more of them!
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:39 pm

the year was 1941, the war had just begun!....sorry wrong story

this is outside of high school but its a fun story.....year was approx 1993....Gulseth was done at UND and they put together a little Dream team of UND players... Gully, Rico, Gardner, Vonish etc etc they came up north and played some independent teams....one of the games was in Edinburg ND (of course I was there) Skippy's home town of course.
They truly put on a show, some incredible dunks by Rico and some high scoring and incredible moves from the other guard (name escapes me right now).

Anyways they thumped the local dudes.....few weeks later they were to play in Cavalier against The locals (they didn't ask me to play for fear of me breaking my 3erd backboard) although I would have gladly complied.
They did put together a good team..........Steve Brekke (Brandons dad for you youngens who are wondering) his brother Mike (tremendous force underneath) Played 2 years in Crookston UMC (twas a JUCO then) and finished of at Jamestown) BIG MARK LINDAHL (enough said) David Cresep (coach and Current state champion from Perham MN...was then at Walhalla.....and the hook line and sinker "GREENY" the Geendahl (randy) current Girls Coach (varsity) at Walahlla (Fosston MN Native)....actually the town Brekkes lived in until Steves senior year (78 I believe) and his Dad transferred to Warren MN as Marshall county Sheriff

The Game was suppose to be exhibition type...but 4 minutes into it it was obvious Gully and the boys were in trouble.....between the Brekke's, BIG Mark Lindahl and Creseps D the local boys were winning...and they were not letting off....Greeny stole the show....he was knocking down threes like Austin Rivers....it got to the point that he (Randy) crossed half coming back on D and the UND boys handed him the Ball and he drilled one for them from nearly half court.

Wow I had played a lot of Ball with Greeny and knew he could stroke it but on That Night? he was "in the Zone".....the UND boys were able to settle down the Alumni and sqeaked out with a win.....but I bet they forever remember "The Almost Fall of the Dream team in Cavalier (and Todd Olson wasn't even there!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby yadot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:It was around 1973. During a high school bb game, the lights went out in the gym. This happened quite frequently back then. It was jet black in the gymnasium, and one of the home town players punched a visiting team player in the face. When the lights came back on, the visiting player told his coach (it was quite apparent he had been punched). The visiting coach pulled his players off the court and loaded them up and left without finishing the game. They ended up forfeiting the game.
Wow. This really happened bison-vikes? Anybody else recall this? Thats crazy.
yadot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 am

True story. Was very young at the time, but remember it created quite a stir in the community.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 am

if my memeory is correct, i think they played a game in Grafton as well. i will do some resuearch. Great story tho.
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:53 pm

winner-within wrote:They did put together a good team..........Steve Brekke (Brandons dad for you youngens who are wondering) his brother Mike (tremendous force underneath) Played 2 years in Crookston UMC (twas a JUCO then) and finished of at Jamestown) BIG MARK LINDAHL (enough said) David Cresep (coach and Current state champion from Perham MN...was then at Walhalla.....and the hook line and sinker "GREENY" the Geendahl (randy) current Girls Coach (varsity) at Walahlla (Fosston MN Native)....actually the town Brekkes lived in until Steves senior year (78 I believe) and his Dad transferred to Warren MN as Marshall county Sheriff

Steve was just an incredible player. As you stated, Mike was a beast as well. Played with and against Steve a number of times. Mike put a team together with some Jamestown college players for a tourney. Had a guy by the name of Bogestad (sp). Have you heard of him? What a shooter.
Another very good player that came from Warren was Dan Carlson. Can be seen coaching at GF Central I believe.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys