Basketball Stories From the Past

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Basketball Stories From the Past

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Was wondering if any readers have a great story to share about something that has happened in class b basketball in which "A Legend was Born".
I heard one a while back but cannot remember all of the details. I hope someone will come on and fill in what I missed.
Believe it was during tournament time back in the mid-'80s. Very close game between Wolford and another team. Wolford was down and bringing the ball up. The Mylo flash was about to get fouled so he threw up a 3/4 court shot as he was fouled and it went in. The ref disallowed the 3-point basket which I believe with the following made free-throw would have won the game for Wolford. Would love to hear if anybody was at that game and could fill in more about the game because I remember it was one heck of a story.

Also, anybody else have a story about something special that has happened over the years?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Re: Basketball Stories From the Past

Postby yadot » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 pm

True story bison-vikes. It was semis of 1986 region 3 in Grafton, Wolford vs. North Border. The Mylo flash buried it from three quarters court just before ( or as ) he was shooting down by 3. Foul called before shot and rest is history, North Border moved on and Wolford played for third. I wonder what happened to the Mylo flash, he could really fill it up from the perimeter.
yadot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 pm

yadot wrote: I wonder what happened to the Mylo flash, he could really fill it up from the perimeter.

Local lore has it that he can be seen still filling it up in a game throwing projectiles or taking money from poor saps on the links.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Edinburg Invitational Championship game 1983..Milton/Osnabrock vs Adams (just adams..no co-op then) game is down to the wire.....right at the end of the game MO puts up a shot to go ahead by 2......the Gym was unbelievably loud some say they heard the buzzer to this day........ MO is going nuts they won the tournament.
WAIT....clock keeper says even though the clock had zero seconds on it, that the buzzer hadn't sounded....so supposedly there is less than a second on the clock yet. (now days the rule is clock has to be set back to 1 second unless there are 10ths on it)

MO folds back to a 2/3 zone adams throws the ball 3/4's of the court to the top of the key...John Boe grabs the ball (buzzer should have immediately sounded, but doesn't) turns around fires up a shot (no 3's then) ball goes in...Game is tied up!....MO loses by 1 in OT...virtually Robbed of the Championship... :x
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:01 pm

That's a great story winner. Take it you were at the game. Spectating or get to play in it? Would guess by the post, you were probably on the losing end. Thanks for sharing.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:40 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:That's a great story winner. Take it you were at the game. Spectating or get to play in it? Would guess by the post, you were probably on the losing end. Thanks for sharing.

Oh yea, I was there
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bagpiper » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 pm

Mylo flash owns K & E Meats in Cando..... go in and ask about it
bagpiper
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:17 am

yadot wrote:True story bison-vikes. It was semis of 1986 region 3 in Grafton, Wolford vs. North Border. The Mylo flash buried it from three quarters court just before ( or as ) he was shooting down by 3. Foul called before shot and rest is history, North Border moved on and Wolford played for third. I wonder what happened to the Mylo flash, he could really fill it up from the perimeter.

I second the truth in that story - I was there as well. It was flippin unbelievable. Probably was the right call - but still.... Coolest thing on a BB court I ever saw that didn't count for anything.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 am

Can you imagine being up by 4 with 2 seconds left in the a game and the oposing team has the ball out of bounds on the oposite end of the court yet you lose in regulation? it happened in Grafton in 1985. Grafton scored a 2 point field goal giving them a 4 point lead over langdon with only two seconds to go on the game clock. Langdon calls a time out to set up a last second full court play. everyone in the gym knew the game was over. Langdon player, i believe one of the Jordans, recieves a half court pass then chucks it at the basket making the three pointer. One of the grafton players bumps him and the ref calls the foul, after the shot giving him a bonus. Jordan makes both free throws, winning the game in regulation after being down by 4 with 2 seconds to go and the full length of the court as well. LOL
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 am

sounds astonishing, was it a Jordan or was it "the chosen one" who Crossed over Jordan!......Ha ha!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 pm

What a story wanderer. As good as it is for the winning teams, what heart break for the losing ones.

Another story. 1981 Region championship game in the Civic Center in Fargo. Can't remember all the details. Milnor playing Kindred to move on to state. I believe Kindred was up by 1 with around 2 seconds left? They also have the ball under Milnor's basket and only need to get the ball in and hold it. The ball is given to a Kindred player to throw in. During the throw in, the ball hits the back of the bankboard. Milnor receives the ball under their basket, make a last second shot (who I think was Corey Toyne, a heck of a bb player) and with it a trip to the state tournament. I remember the place was absolutely crazy. One second the Kindred crowd is chanting we're going to state and the next second the floor is stormed by Milnor fans.
Thrill of victory, agony of defeat in a nutshell.
Hope someone reading this can give more details.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:02 pm

was he a fan or a player? just curious
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:11 pm

thewanderer wrote:was he a fan or a player? just curious

Definitely a fan
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby outofstatefan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 am

I'm really enjoying these stories. Looking forward to more.
outofstatefan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:24 pm

thewanderer wrote:Can you imagine being up by 4 with 2 seconds left in the a game and the oposing team has the ball out of bounds on the oposite end of the court yet you lose in regulation? it happened in Grafton in 1985. Grafton scored a 2 point field goal giving them a 4 point lead over langdon with only two seconds to go on the game clock. Langdon calls a time out to set up a last second full court play. everyone in the gym knew the game was over. Langdon player, i believe one of the Jordans, recieves a half court pass then chucks it at the basket making the three pointer. One of the grafton players bumps him and the ref calls the foul, after the shot giving him a bonus. Jordan makes both free throws, winning the game in regulation after being down by 4 with 2 seconds to go and the full length of the court as well. LOL

It was in 1983 when Langdon was still Class A, it was the first year of the three point basket, Class A had it a year before class B did.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:28 pm

This story is more about one of the all time great performances I witnessed by one player. It was in college, but the team had all ND players on it.
Lake Region Royals vs. Wahpeton Science in State Juco Championship game in Bottineau. 1981-82 season. Wahp is ranked nationally and had detroyed LR in Wahp earlier in the year. Wahp had two All-American guards in Darrel Banks and Larry Hamilton. During that game, Lyndon Hochstetler put on the greatest point guard performance I have ever witnessed. Fouled out both of their guards, and sliced through the Wildcats like a hot knife through butter. Something like 26 pts., 14 assists, 7 steals and 9 rebounds by a point guard. He might have made lunch during halftime too (haha). The Royals ended up going on to the National JUCO tourney in Scottsbluff, Nebraska after winning the regional tournament in Minneapolis that year.
North Dakota Players on the team. Lyndon Hochstetler - Wolford, Dennis Smith - Warwick, Kelly Grindahl - West Fargo, Kyle Meyer - Hillsboro, Brent Viger - Edmore, Kenny Johnson - Walhalla, Doyle Heisler - Devils Lake, Al Walford - Devils Lake, Jeff Schumacher - Drayton, Jon Loiland - Thompson, Craig Irwin - Sawyer, Dan Ruhland - Garrison, Scott Weston - Sarles, Larry Krogstad - Rugby, Lonnie Komrosky - Maple Valley, Coach - Hugh Welsh.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:This story is more about one of the all time great performances I witnessed by one player. It was in college, but the team had all ND players on it.
Lake Region Royals vs. Wahpeton Science in State Juco Championship game in Bottineau. 1982-83 season. Wahp is ranked nationally and had detroyed LR in Wahp earlier in the year. Wahp had two All-American guards in Darrel Banks and Larry Hamilton. During that game, Lyndon Hochstetler put on the greatest point guard performance I have ever witnessed. Fouled out both of their guards, and sliced through the Wildcats like a hot knife through butter. Something like 26 pts., 14 assists, 7 steals and 9 rebounds by a point guard. He might have made lunch during halftime too (haha). The Royals ended up going on to the National JUCO tourney in Scottsbluff, Nebraska after winning the regional tournament in Minneapolis that year.
North Dakota Players on the team. Lyndon Hochstetler - Wolford, Dennis Smith - Warwick, Kelly Grindahl - West Fargo, Kyle Meyer - Hillsboro, Brent Viger - Edmore, Kenny Johnson - Walhalla, Doyle Heisler - Devils Lake, Al Walford - Devils Lake, Jeff Schumacher - Drayton, Jon Loiland - Thompson, Craig Irwin - Sawyer, Dan Ruhland - Garrison, Scott Weston - Sarles, Larry Krogstad - Rugby, Lonnie Komrosky - Maple Valley, Coach - Hugh Welsh.

great story...I saw that team play a couple of times, knew a few of the boys.
The days of a roster full of ND boys like that are over...Wow!.... Lyndon was a machine...so was Mark Hochstetler.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Oilers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:57 pm

yadot wrote:True story bison-vikes. It was semis of 1986 region 3 in Grafton, Wolford vs. North Border. The Mylo flash buried it from three quarters court just before ( or as ) he was shooting down by 3. Foul called before shot and rest is history, North Border moved on and Wolford played for third. I wonder what happened to the Mylo flash, he could really fill it up from the perimeter.

You are correct oh wise "yadot" ... Great game and boy could the Mylo flash play. Great stories - thank you!!!
Oilers
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Oilers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:This story is more about one of the all time great performances I witnessed by one player. It was in college, but the team had all ND players on it.
Lake Region Royals vs. Wahpeton Science in State Juco Championship game in Bottineau. 1982-83 season. Wahp is ranked nationally and had detroyed LR in Wahp earlier in the year. Wahp had two All-American guards in Darrel Banks and Larry Hamilton. During that game, Lyndon Hochstetler put on the greatest point guard performance I have ever witnessed. Fouled out both of their guards, and sliced through the Wildcats like a hot knife through butter. Something like 26 pts., 14 assists, 7 steals and 9 rebounds by a point guard. He might have made lunch during halftime too (haha). The Royals ended up going on to the National JUCO tourney in Scottsbluff, Nebraska after winning the regional tournament in Minneapolis that year.

Bet that team could still win a lot of games today - Some great local players on that team...
Oilers
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thewanderer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:20 pm

scc wrote:
GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
thewanderer wrote:Can you imagine being up by 4 with 2 seconds left in the a game and the oposing team has the ball out of bounds on the oposite end of the court yet you lose in regulation? it happened in Grafton in 1985. Grafton scored a 2 point field goal giving them a 4 point lead over langdon with only two seconds to go on the game clock. Langdon calls a time out to set up a last second full court play. everyone in the gym knew the game was over. Langdon player, i believe one of the Jordans, recieves a half court pass then chucks it at the basket making the three pointer. One of the grafton players bumps him and the ref calls the foul, after the shot giving him a bonus. Jordan makes both free throws, winning the game in regulation after being down by 4 with 2 seconds to go and the full length of the court as well. LOL

It was in 1983 when Langdon was still Class A, it was the first year of the three point basket, Class A had it a year before class B did.

I asked my dad, and he said it was the 83-84 season.

i was on the bench for Grafton that year. sorry, i just guessed the year wrong. Doesnt change the story tho.
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 pm

wanderer, that really is an incredible story. Question, was the foul a legit call?

winner-within wrote:great story...I saw that team play a couple of times, knew a few of the boys.
The days of a roster full of ND boys like that are over...Wow!.... Lyndon was a machine...so was Mark Hochstetler.

Rollie, an older brother was no slouch either. Believe he played at VCSU in the late '70s, maybe around the time Al Dvorak was at Mayville.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:wanderer, that really is an incredible story. Question, was the foul a legit call?

winner-within wrote:great story...I saw that team play a couple of times, knew a few of the boys.

Rollie, an older brother was no slouch either. Believe he played at VCSU in the late '70s, maybe around the time Al Dvorak was at Mayville.

I think Todd Trudel (Cando) and Richard Dufault (argyle MN, Austins dad) were right after Rollie at VCSU....good memories. :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Great stories! Yadot you have knowledge my friend! I hear "The Mylo Flash" is also a dart shark master of the 6 darter!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gobison15247 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 am

panthercub wrote:Great stories! Yadot you have knowledge my friend! I hear "The Mylo Flash" is also a dart shark master of the 6 darter!

true story, the mylo flash is still in the area and is still knocking them down! he can knock down a 6 dart and a 6 pack with the best of them! heck of a nice guy too. he owns the meet locker in cando stop in and see him
gobison15247
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:21 am

gobison15247 wrote:
panthercub wrote:Great stories! Yadot you have knowledge my friend! I hear "The Mylo Flash" is also a dart shark master of the 6 darter!

true story, the mylo flash is still in the area and is still knocking them down! he can knock down a 6 dart and a 6 pack with the best of them! heck of a nice guy too. he owns the meet locker in cando stop in and see him

Whats his real name?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys