Public schools vs Private schools

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Public schools vs Private schools

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Obviously this is a bigger problem in the bigger states, but still an interesting article about private schools that gives few answers to the problems.

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_19478018
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: Public schools vs Private schools

Postby NDplayin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:52 am

While the article is interesting, it is about a Colorado problem- not a North Dakota problem. The very first words of the article are...
denverpost.com wrote:In recent seasons, powerful private schools Valor Christian, Mullen and Regis Jesuit seem to be winning state football, state soccer, state everything.

You can't make a similar statement about any three private schools in North Dakota. If you could, I'd be open to the same type of discussion about change as they are having in Colorado, but you can't. You can't even make a similar statement about any single private high school in North Dakota.

This is certainly not an attack on you Flip. I agree this is an interesting article, but I'm trying to be proactive in my response before a lot of posters who are more concerned with their own personal agenda than the best interests of North Dakota High School Athletics get on here and take this a negative direction.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SportShots » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:13 am

We have public schools, private schools, parochial schools, art and science centered private schools... why not a private Sports Specialty School?

A good school emphasizing academics but with a stated goal of maximizing a kids ability in specific sports? A school geared to Football and Basketball? Known for top coaching and facilities and emphasizing the specific sports they want?

Why not? Bring in Pro coaches, trainers and motivators for one on one and small group workshops, lectures and teaching on a short term basis? Bring in top college coaches and recruiters specifically to help prepare the kids to do better in their chosen sport?

We do it for Chemistry, Computer, Science and FFA, why not for sports?

Those attending could easily point to a career path as agents, reps, trainers, coaches and the like. Gear the program to a multi billion dollar industry much like many schools do with their emphasis on particlular academic or vocational training.

Why wouldn't it work?
SportShots
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Who would they compete against?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 pm

I can already think of at least a couple schools who seem to already do quite a bit of recruiting here in North Dakota.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 am

Alot of Private Schools are affiliated with Religion..Right?.......in fact maybe every one in ND is.......Religions are also known for Recruiting and Recouping, Right? so don't be surprised please .......Its simply part of being a Free Country.
I can say something else........dont count on someone else teaching your kid how to play Sports......
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:18 am

Amen winner! I'm not surprised at all, I was just stating that it happens in ND as well as every where else.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby mags » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

which private school in noth dakota recuits? please include school and who was recruited and school that kid previously went to.
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:52 pm

mags wrote:which private school in noth dakota recuits? please include school and name of kid who was recruited and school that kid previously went to.

please. i am really interested in this. i can think of none. just cuz private schools are good a lot doesnt mean they recruit. is it that every team that competes every year recruits? or just private schools. Hazen in football? Velva in football and baseball? north star in basketball? Napoleon in almost everything? linton in almost everything? Watford city competes in football and basketball every year? Harvey in football? Casselton in basically everything? i can go on and on about schools that have good programs and compete every year. does it mean they recruit? no they have great programs and great coaches. same goes for private schools. they build programs with good coaching. NOT RECRUITING.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 pm

This topic has been talked to death and I have weighed in on it a couple of times. I am going to weigh in one more, (hopefully last) time.
First off - I really don't care anymore about Private schools being in Class B.
2nd - They probably don't recruit anymore or any less than any other teams in ND
3rd. They do have an undeniable advantage that 90% of the rest of Class B teams don't - NOW - I'm not saying it is an unfair advantage - Just an advantage. This is the point that Does kind of ruffle my feathers as no Private school backer will ever admit this even though it is an unmistakeable fact of logic. That is the only thing that upsets me - just admit it - I don't care that you do have an advantage - just admit it. I repeat - I don't think it's unfair - its just what it is - you can't do anything about it - it just is.
You live in a city that has at least 1000 (or in most cases) or more HS students. You may only have 70-200 of those students in your school - that is fine - but you have a possibility of 1000 or more total students of which to draw from (Notice I didn't say choose - because I don't believe that is the case).
TO make my point. I live in Region 6 - I mostly watch Region 6 teams. With that being said - if All the schools in District 11 combined their enrollment in one town (not one school), let's say Bottineau - they would have a HS population of about 1200 students (Generous). If there were two or even three HS in Bottineau with 2 of those being Class B and one being Class A - At least one of those Class B schools would have a very good sports program even if it only had 100-200 HS students. WHY?
Because those student-athletes have the resources of those other student-athletes in their Town to draw from. They can all compete against each other in the off-season at the Local Y or at the local field or what have you. They will get better through competition against each other and themselves as they only have to travel a few blocks to find great competition in the off-season instead of 30-100 miles to find like competetion like most Class B schools would have to do. They get better because they have the resources and the peer influences (and enough of them) to push them to get better. It is still up to those students and their coaches to push themselves or each other to do this - which the Trinity's, Ryans, Oak Groves, etc. do. That's why I don't think it is an unfair advantage as they still have to put in the work - but it is still an advantage. They know - no matter how big their enrollment is, that they have to work to get better to be able to play or someone else will do it for them and get ahead of them. In small schools in Class B - they don't have that extra motivation as much. It is an advantage simply because it is.
AGAIN - I don't think its unfair - I'm not whining, complaining or anything of the like. I would just like to hear ONCE that a private school backer would admit that it is an advantage. Most private school programs in ND have excellent coaching and kids that work their tails off to be competetive - If they didn't they wouldn't be as successful, but they would still have a better opportunity over other B schools to reach success because of the resources available to them.
Think of it this way. Why doesn't Angola dominate in Men's Olympic B-Ball as Compared to the US? THey have athletes just like we do - they have knowledgeable coaches just like we do - they put their work in during the off-season and season just like the US team - so why are they not more competetive?
Because they don't have the resources or the type of competition that is available to the US athletes - on a very small scale - the avg Class B school is like that compared to the average CLass B private school. Is it unfair? - NO - it just is what it is because of the situation in which they happen to live in.
Conclusion - same as 1st statement - Private schools have an advantage because of where they are located - they still have to - as individual students - take advantage of that advantage - and many do -which is why they are usually at the top of each region year in and year out. Not unfair - just the way it is.
If you actually read this whole post, I applaud you - as I got a little bored with it myself as I was writing it.
Thanks for your time - hope it wasn't a waste.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 pm

BB11, I am a private school backer. And I have also said before that this is an advantage. You really can't deny it. But, like you said they still have to put in the work. Using basketball as an example, they are on traveling teams a lot when they are young and go around the state and play other class A teams. This competition makes them better. In baseball, they get to play legion baseball in the summers against all the class A towns. This higher level competition makes them better. Even the competition on their own team makes them better.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Indy5 wrote:BB11, I am a private school backer. And I have also said before that this is an advantage. You really can't deny it. But, like you said they still have to put in the work. Using basketball as an example, they are on traveling teams a lot when they are young and go around the state and play other class A teams. This competition makes them better. In baseball, they get to play legion baseball in the summers against all the class A towns. This higher level competition makes them better. Even the competition on their own team makes them better.

And I thank you :D You're exactly right - higher competition level - the better you have to get if you don't want to be embarrassed - most Class B's don't have that option - at least in the off-season.
Thanks
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:28 pm

I agree too... Central Cass kids have the opportunity to play against MN kids and Class A kids from the time they are in grade school playing travel basketball, JO volleyball, FM football, etc. Yes, they have to put in the work, but they are good, in part, because they compete against good competition on a regular basis.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby beasteast » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 am

If you think about it though, many Class B schools are near a bigger city. Example: small schools near Bismarck, Grand Forks, or Minot. So many of these kids should have an opportunity to play other quality competition.
beasteast
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 pm

here's another story on the topic I read a couple weeks ago
http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/ ... ratio.html
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EASTCOAST » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 pm

mags wrote:which private school in noth dakota recuits? please include school and name of kid who was recruited and school that kid previously went to.

Shiloh Christian? Three Native American starters from Fort Berthold on boys team at state tournament? Red Flag?
EASTCOAST
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43 pm

EASTCOAST wrote:

Shiloh Christian? Three Native American starters from Fort Berthold on boys team at state tournament? Red Flag?

To be fair, only two transferred there, at least recently. Bearstail has been there since at least his frehsmen year, probably before that.

I can't say if they recruit or not, but I'm guessing its no. Probably more like 2 kids deciding to go there since they are successful and wanted to go to state.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 am

The question I have is this, and I would just like a straight yes or no answer, did their parents move? if they didn't when those kids transferred did the students have to sit out 180 days
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovefootball88 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 am

Yes
lovefootball88
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rock83 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 am

They had three outstanding boys transfer in that did not go to elementary school in Shiloh Christian. Do you really think that is just a coincidence. And its not because they wanted to play on a good team, they were leaving good teams. And a few years before that Shiloh had a center from Century that transferred into Shiloh. Give any school in the state 3 or 4 starters transfer in and they would have a nice program.

Indy5 wrote:
EASTCOAST wrote:

To be fair, only two transferred there, at least recently. Bearstail has been there since at least his frehsmen year, probably before that.

I can't say if they recruit or not, but I'm guessing its no. Probably more like 2 kids deciding to go there since they are successful and wanted to go to state.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

When people say private schools recruit who are they suggesting is doing the recruiting?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 pm

rock83 wrote:They had three outstanding boys transfer in that did not go to elementary school in Shiloh Christian. Do you really think that is just a coincidence. And its not because they wanted to play on a good team, they were leaving good teams. And a few years before that Shiloh had a center from Century that transferred into Shiloh. Give any school in the state 3 or 4 starters transfer in and they would have a nice program.

Lambert left a school that went to state the year before but most the talent graduated. Mandaree was awful so I won't give you Yellow Wolf and like I said, Bearstail has been there since at least his freshmen year. He didn't even get playing time on varsity til he was a junior. He improved a lot when he was older and developed into a very good shooter. When he was younger, I wouldn't think he was expected to be that good.

I'm not saying I like seeing all the transfers, but I highly doubt the school has anything to do with it. What I want to know is what do you really think is happening?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby triplebbb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:58 am

does it have anything to do with getting students in to a better school and town environment and away from some less than ideal conditions? and if they can be successful in sports great.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_2305 ... ool-sports

Colorado's proposed plan got shot down.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Legislation would bar public schools from belonging to Louisiana High School Athletic Association.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2013 ... y?gcheck=1

this is such a joke IMO.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics