Reffing around the state

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Reffing around the state

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:13 am

How has the reffing been around the state to compare. Good, Bad, or Ugly?? Any calls that have cost the game or changed the flow???
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Reffing around the state

Postby thewanderer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 am

peoples oponions on ref's will depend on whether there is a W or an L in the game collum. for the most part i think the reffing aournd reagion 2 is pretty darn good. Ref's are humans, they make mistakes. i do believe that coaches fans and players can sway the tendencies of how a ref calls a game with poor behavior. this is just my opinion. Example. i am a judge at a beauty pagent. it's down to to girls. one has been yellling at me the whole pageant about unfairness, poor judgement and makeing smug faces as me. the other in conginia,l smiles and is appreciative. All other things being equal, the second girl is miss walsh county. This is maybe not what you were looking for but there arent too many chances to comment on this topic so anyway JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ramsfan8 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:55 am

I have watched a lot of games in the last number of years. I agree, depends if you are on the W or L side of things. They will not catch everything, I see some good reffing in Region 4. They have guys that admit when they miss. Kudos to them. I see more obnoxious unruly poor sports in the stands. That's the biggest issue. I would kick more people from the stands. The refs are very tolerant.

I highly suggest that those people don the stripes and take the same abuse that they give. Of course they will ref the perfect game. NOT!

Class B Rules
Ramsfan8
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfbfan70 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:17 am

i do have to give kudos to the schools in eastern nodak. i have been to south dakota several times this year and not once have a they had a certified ref doing a "B" team game. In one instance i think they had a high school student reffing the game(i could be wrong but he did carry a backpack out when he left). In north dakota i have not seen this situation 1 time. In fact i have seen many "C" team games over the years and most were done by certified officials or people that have alot of reffing expierence. kudos for the local schools for doing this. It makes the kids enjoy the game more when they know they are going to get calls for doing things the right way. I also helps the kids feel that their game is also important.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby KG4MVP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 am

I hate to say this, but this year of all the games I have seen, there was only a couple games that I have walked away from and didnt think the refs did a horrible job. I really havent seen the refs be this poor ever! I mean the inconsistensy of the calls for both teams in some of these games is just ridiculous. And making calls on a player that they were so far out of position, there was no way they could see the foul.
I really hate to gripe on the refs cause it is a tough job, but I think this is the worst I have seen them in a lot of yrswatching high school games. I seriously think some of these guys should have their licenses taken away they are that poor that I have seen. I'm not going to name any names, but there are a few.
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfbfan70 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 am

one thing i do have to remind everyone here is that, refereeing is a tough job but if you think you can do better, SIGN UP!!! North Dakota has a definate shortage of officials. Its good money and you get to watch Nodak HS sports. I am not an official(was in the past) but i encourage anyone interested to go try it out. Its a great gig for a college student or a teacher that needs extra cash.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby KG4MVP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 am

ndfbfan70 wrote:one thing i do have to remind everyone here is that, refereeing is a tough job but if you think you can do better, SIGN UP!!! North Dakota has a definate shortage of officials. Its good money and you get to watch Nodak HS sports. I am not an official(was in the past) but i encourage anyone interested to go try it out. Its a great gig for a college student or a teacher that needs extra cash.

I would really like to if I didnt already have a job. Your right it is a fun gig, I have done it before.
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:15 pm

thewanderer wrote:peoples oponions on ref's will depend on whether there is a W or an L in the game collum. for the most part i think the reffing aournd reagion 2 is pretty darn good. Ref's are humans, they make mistakes. i do believe that coaches fans and players can sway the tendencies of how a ref calls a game with poor behavior. this is just my opinion. Example. i am a judge at a beauty pagent. it's down to to girls. one has been yellling at me the whole pageant about unfairness, poor judgement and makeing smug faces as me. the other in conginia,l smiles and is appreciative. All other things being equal, the second girl is miss walsh county. This is maybe not what you were looking for but there arent too many chances to comment on this topic so anyway JMHO

Wanderer ill quit reffing and go with you to these beauty pagents for awhile and see how that goes. Sounds like fun with all the politics invovled in it till the moms start going crazy. And you brought up a great point. Keeping your Chin High, being Respectful, using Kindness, and ALWAYS SMILING will always WIN in the END. Anything else just shows WEAKNESS.. :D
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I wasnt expecting everybody to bash or gives names just thought maybe people had different thoughts from one side or end of the state on how they call the game or if some reffs tend to lean towards one player or team. Ive watched alot of different games and its went both ways. I have noticied alot this year though that some reffs dont take their eyes off a certain player in the game no matter where he is on the court with or without the ball. And that is with opposing teams we r playing and games ive been to that my team was not competing in that night.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:25 pm

ndfbfan70 wrote:one thing i do have to remind everyone here is that, refereeing is a tough job but if you think you can do better, SIGN UP!!! North Dakota has a definate shortage of officials. Its good money and you get to watch Nodak HS sports. I am not an official(was in the past) but i encourage anyone interested to go try it out. Its a great gig for a college student or a teacher that needs extra cash.

Already do it...definitely a great job. Also, if you are inexperienced...many schools are looking for officials for JH games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:00 am

kingjames101 wrote:
thewanderer wrote:peoples oponions on ref's will depend on whether there is a W or an L in the game collum. for the most part i think the reffing aournd reagion 2 is pretty darn good. Ref's are humans, they make mistakes. i do believe that coaches fans and players can sway the tendencies of how a ref calls a game with poor behavior. this is just my opinion. Example. i am a judge at a beauty pagent. it's down to to girls. one has been yellling at me the whole pageant about unfairness, poor judgement and makeing smug faces as me. the other in conginia,l smiles and is appreciative. All other things being equal, the second girl is miss walsh county. This is maybe not what you were looking for but there arent too many chances to comment on this topic so anyway JMHO

Wanderer ill quit reffing and go with you to these beauty pagents for awhile and see how that goes. Sounds like fun with all the politics invovled in it till the moms start going crazy. And you brought up a great point. Keeping your Chin High, being Respectful, using Kindness, and ALWAYS SMILING will always WIN in the END. Anything else just shows WEAKNESS.. :D

Every time I smiled, I gotta T.. :? ....so tell me why baby why baby, why baby why... you make me cry baby cry baby, cry baby cry!..... 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby kingjames101 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:43 am

Has there been many technical fouls called around the state this year on coaches or players. If so were they good calls or did they pull a dangle the hook and wait wait wait and there's the jerk (HOOK SET)..
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thewanderer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:56 am

kingjames101 wrote:Has there been many technical fouls called around the state this year on coaches or players. If so were they good calls or did they pull a dangle the hook and wait wait wait and there's the jerk (HOOK SET)..

the tech's have got way down since, i dont wnat to say a name but, starts with h and rymes with fartzy, has retired. lol
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:56 am

thewanderer wrote:
kingjames101 wrote:Has there been many technical fouls called around the state this year on coaches or players. If so were they good calls or did they pull a dangle the hook and wait wait wait and there's the jerk (HOOK SET)..

the tech's have got way down since, i dont wnat to say a name but, starts with h and rymes with fartzy, has retired. lol

In justification....he was a marked man!.... :lol:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby cast3 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 am

Reffing-----blow your whistle! The game is too rough and tumble! If the refs start making more calls, we will again be able to enjoy the skill of the game instead of the thug play.

A lot of refs will say there was no advatage gained-------the advantage might show up later in the game. Another thing........Refs cannot worry about getting hired back.....get control of the game and the coaches.
cast3
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:16 pm

i know stetson carr has 3 T's this year. and everytime he was talking to one of his teammates. they were called because the ref thought he heard something being said about him when that wasnt the case. just for example one of the fouls was called because hetold a teammate to stop taking dumb fouls. the ref heard dumb and foul and assumed something was being said about him
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

bison football73 wrote:i know stetson carr has 3 T's this year. and everytime he was talking to one of his teammates. they were called because the ref thought he heard something being said about him when that wasnt the case. just for example one of the fouls was called because hetold a teammate to stop taking dumb fouls. the ref heard dumb and foul and assumed something was being said about him

If he has 3 Ts in the season already, I highly doubt he's that innocent. He has probably had many warning throughout the game and the ref finally had enough. I don't know any refs that are quick with the whistle to call a T on a simple, one time thing.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mike Ditka » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 pm

bison football73 wrote:i know stetson carr has 3 T's this year. and everytime he was talking to one of his teammates. they were called because the ref thought he heard something being said about him when that wasnt the case. just for example one of the fouls was called because hetold a teammate to stop taking dumb fouls. the ref heard dumb and foul and assumed something was being said about him

One questionable Tech and maybe it's a mistake, 2 and maybe still, but three different T's I'm going to say there is a pattern developing. Not being mean to your boy Stetson, he's a good player.

Coaches coach, refs ref, and players play. If there is a question with calls then it's a coaches job to question, not a players. That being said people shouldn't complain about refs so much, what if they all became fed up with it and then quit? Who would do the job then? I know in region 7 they are trying to work in some young refs and there has been complaints, but if they don't get them experience then down the road when the older guys retire...there wont be such a turn. I think reffing is an awfully tough job and the guys that put themselves out there and do it should be praised a little more, not bashed.
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luckyinlife » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

A couple thing I have noticed over the last ten or twelve years. First, refs call fouls a lot less now on the defensive player when the offensive player creates the contact. Seemed like coaches used to teach their players how to draw fouls by initiating the contact. Don't see that happen nearly as much anymore. KUDOS!

Second, class B players are a lot stronger now than a decade ago. The weight programs are really paying off. As a result, the play in the paint is getting more physical and most refs are letting them play. I totally support that! Makes the game a lot more fun to watch when two big guys get to play physical.

Another thing that impresses me is how well the refs handle confict with the players and coaches these days. They are very patient and talk calmly and issue a warning which almost always solves the problem. Hey, it is supposed to be an emotionally game. I give the refs a lot of credit for understanding that and not allowing the small stuff to get under their skin.
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:33 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

If he has 3 Ts in the season already, I highly doubt he's that innocent. He has probably had many warning throughout the game and the ref finally had enough. I don't know any refs that are quick with the whistle to call a T on a simple, one time thing.

I watched him play once this year. Granted, it was a 20 point blowout, he didn't say anything to the refs and was constantly talking to his teammates. All I'm saying is for this kid, there's a slight possibility a couple of them could be bad circumstances.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 pm

That's the ironic thing is last year he deserved more Ts than this year and he only had 1 last year. These refs remember him from last year and this year he doesn't say anything anymore.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby mags » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:41 am

It pains me when fans who know nothing start yelling (i mean standing up yelling) at the refs. That is why the coach is able to address refs. If things are going poorly the coach can speak with the refs so fans please sit down you look silly.

With that said, i have seen a 1 point game (all game long) end with a foul spread of 22-5. Thats poor officiating. Also another close game back and forth, both teams playing man, both teams driving, both teams with a post game. and this certain game ended with one team shooting 24 free throws and the other team shooting 8 free throws. Again poor.

refs do get paid to be good, so i feel they should be at least be decent when they take the court at the varsity level, but at the same token when one of these (bad nights) happens, fans please sit down and let the coach address the refs. it will make for a better enviroment for everyone.
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:19 am

With that said, there are a lot of Players who do not know how to play Defense in a tight game.....not only is it the Coaches job to confront the ref on questionable calls its also his job to control the amount of fouls his team is giving out...In our day it was the Speaking Captain who was able to go to the ref on a dead ball and have a little conference .>>
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby mags » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 pm

yes the captains can converse with the refs as well.
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby border fan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am

when officals "let them play", they are opening themselves up to critisism. They need to follow the book not their hearts
border fan
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Boys