#2 Grafton at #1 Carrington

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: #2 Grafton at #1 Carrington

Postby PR23 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 am

We can speculate all we want - who's better, what would happen IF - it doesn't matter. There is no way WE can say for certain that 1 girl will make a huge difference, either way. It's all about match ups and who's hot when they play. Hopefully, we'll get to see these two teams square off again at tournament time. Then, the girls can do the talking.
PR23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rock83 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:06 pm

To say Thompson doesn make that big of a difference is funny. If you have ever watched basketball you would know that doesnt make sense. What you say about the other girls is true, but have Thompson back there defensively changes the game. Please dont reply that it doesnt. If you talk to any coach they would say they have a chance to beat Carrington if Thompson doesnt play and when they are at full strength it becomes very difficult. Thompson doesnt have to score a point to make a difference because its hard to score consistently in the lane when she is playing.

wolves65 wrote:She is good player but the Scherr girl had a big game in the state tournament and Rosenau is there best all around player. They are a good team and team is why they are good not because of one player. Not sure they are that much better with her than without her. They have a couple of nice young big girls backing her up. It is hard to tell how good some ot these teams are when they blast teams 70-20 on most nights. In the state tournament she was an over-the-back call in the 3rd quarter from being in foul trouble in the championship game instead they put her at the free-throw line all night and she made the shots. They don't play any different when she is out of the game. You take Rosenau out of the game and that is a totally different team. She does alot of things well that don't show up in the score book.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 pm

just a reply to your comment she is the most dominate defensive player in the state. That is a bit of a hometown call.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby coolhandluke » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:06 pm

If I'm from Grafton and an lucky enough to get to the state tournament, and even luckier to make a game whether the championship game or not, I WANT to play Carrington again - to meet the best, WITH Thompson in the lineup. No one has seen the full potential of Grafton either, and they are confident that, as with any high school team, they can beat anyone on a given night. Carrington - remember - was not the favorite by any means last year, yet they had a good tournament. Grafton also beat some state qualifying teams that most did not. I'm just saying - YOU NEVER KNOW.
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:53 pm

blindside2 wrote:
nduser1 wrote:I know Thompson is good but THAT good? Until last year at the state championship game agains CCHS she was really not a force? In that game with some help from the refs she turned into a nice post player. I think CCHS maybe has that volleyball player, "Dooley" I think her name is that is as tall as Thompson, maybe she can neutralize her???

I agree...Thompson is good but to say she is the most dominant defense player in ND is a stretch. Absolutely she had help in the championship game last year just as Carrington did against Grafton on Wednesday. I bet Grafton would love to play them again even with Thompson....get some neutral officials and a full size court and let the two best teams in the state play again.

Is there always a excuse when a Grafton teams loses?
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby HONKER » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Yep! Sure seems like it.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:51 pm

HONKER wrote:Yep! Sure seems like it.

Thanks at least I'm not the only one who notices it.
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby blindside2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:14 am

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
blindside2 wrote:
nduser1 wrote:I know Thompson is good but THAT good? Until last year at the state championship game agains CCHS she was really not a force? In that game with some help from the refs she turned into a nice post player. I think CCHS maybe has that volleyball player, "Dooley" I think her name is that is as tall as Thompson, maybe she can neutralize her???

I agree...Thompson is good but to say she is the most dominant defense player in ND is a stretch. Absolutely she had help in the championship game last year just as Carrington did against Grafton on Wednesday. I bet Grafton would love to play them again even with Thompson....get some neutral officials and a full size court and let the two best teams in the state play again.

Nope....no excuses.......just my opinion......I not a Grafton fan just someone who likes girls basketball and was at the game. Another player who helps a team a lot but doesn't always show on the books is Graftons point guard Thompson. It was a great game to watch and both teams played very physical.
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:05 am

blindside2 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:
blindside2 wrote:

Nope....no excuses.......just my opinion......I not a Grafton fan just someone who likes girls basketball and was at the game. Another player who helps a team a lot but doesn't always show on the books is Graftons point guard Thompson. It was a great game to watch and both teams played very physical.

Well as much as you watch it and like it you aren't to smart saying the game wouldn't have been different with Thompson for Carrington. Ill tell you the dead honest truth that Napoleon sure looked allot better than Grafton. They have 2 loses that being to beach by 5 and Carrington by 9 with Thompson playing. Them girls will be a heck of a team by the end of the year. Ill bet the farm that there in the state championship next year only losing one senior I believe.
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:38 am

Well the interesting thing about this matchup is that it will be possible again at State (if both teams make it).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby blindside2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:32 am

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
blindside2 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:
blindside2 wrote:

Nope....no excuses.......just my opinion......I not a Grafton fan just someone who likes girls basketball and
was at the game. Another player who helps a team a lot but doesn't always show on the books is Graftons point guard Thompson. It was a great game to watch and both teams played very physical.

Well as much as you watch it and like it you aren't to smart saying the game wouldn't have been different with Thompson for Carrington. Ill tell you the dead honest truth that Napoleon sure looked allot better than
Grafton. They have 2 loses that being to beach by 5 and Carrington by 9 with Thompson playing. Them girls will be a heck of a team by the end of the year. Ill bet the farm that there in the state championship next year only losing one senior I believe.

Never did I say the game wouldn't have been different....of course it would have.......smarts tell me that Thompson obviously plays differently from two girls.......you aren't too smart saying you would bet the farm on Napoloen and Carrington are going to be the state championship with only five games into the season. A betting man should take that bet.
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:39 am

blindside2 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:
blindside2 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:
blindside2 wrote:

Nope....no excuses.......just my opinion......I not a Grafton fan just someone who likes girls basketball and
was at the game. Another player who helps a team a lot but doesn't always show on the books is Graftons point guard Thompson. It was a great game to watch and both teams played very physical.

Well as much as you watch it and like it you aren't to smart saying the game wouldn't have been different with Thompson for Carrington. Ill tell you the dead honest truth that Napoleon sure looked allot better than
Grafton. They have 2 loses that being to beach by 5 and Carrington by 9 with Thompson playing. Them girls will be a heck of a team by the end of the year. Ill bet the farm that there in the state championship next year only losing one senior I believe.

you aren't too smart saying you would bet the farm on Napoloen and Carrington are going to be the state championship with only five games into the season.

The Napoleon comment was ndsportsfan14's way of saying that Napoleon will be the favorite next year since they only lose one senior on a very well-balanced dominant team.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby blindside2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:08 am

I believe he/she said by the end of the year. To me when he said next year that means March 2012. My bad
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:39 pm

blindside2 wrote:I believe he/she said by the end of the year. To me when he said next year that means March 2012. My bad

Saying next season probably would have been clearer
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
blindside2 wrote:I believe he/she said by the end of the year. To me when he said next year that means March 2012. My bad

haha yes my apology.
Isn't Linton and Napoleon in the same region run?
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:22 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

haha yes my apology.
Isn't Linton and Napoleon in the same region run?

Yep...Linton-HMB and Linton are in District 6, Region 3. They face each other on January 3rd (Napoleon @ Linton-HMB)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby old#63 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Just a quick comment. With any team, but especially with girls basketball teams, it is never true to assume that athletes will come back stronger as seniors than what they were as juniors or sophomores. Certainly they will be more experienced, but with all the early development of talent, many girls peak in quickness and physical ability before their senior year. A 17 year old gymnast is considered over the hill. And in many ways, some 18 year old girls may well have already seen their best years in basketball.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby kingjames101 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:19 am

Ndsportfan14 I would agree with both of you but given that everynight is a new one and anything can happen. 7 out of 10 carrington would probaly win. If ur bench comes off and does very well might not see a difference but I think the results would be like kevin love sitting out for the wolves would be really ugly 8 out of 10 games. But don't bet ur farm on it because if ur from carrington area it wouldn't be worth much.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:02 am

old#63 wrote:Just a quick comment. With any team, but especially with girls basketball teams, it is never true to assume that athletes will come back stronger as seniors than what they were as juniors or sophomores. Certainly they will be more experienced, but with all the early development of talent, many girls peak in quickness and physical ability before their senior year. A 17 year old gymnast is considered over the hill. And in many ways, some 18 year old girls may well have already seen their best years in basketball.

This is true to some extent for basketball, but much more in a sport like track and (I'd assume) swimming. Granted most girls in their HS years become less athletic, but usually their skills (shooting, passing, dribbling) become better. Also, as they age they're getting stronger, they become better at reading defenses and recognizing what the other team is doing and many other mental aspects of the game become sharper.

What is wrong with the Thompson girl?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm

High ankle sprain
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:54 pm

kingjames101 wrote:Ndsportfan14 I would agree with both of you but given that everynight is a new one and anything can happen. 7 out of 10 carrington would probaly win. If ur bench comes off and does very well might not see a difference but I think the results would be like kevin love sitting out for the wolves would be really ugly 8 out of 10 games. But don't bet ur farm on it because if ur from carrington area it wouldn't be worth much.

But don't bet ur farm on it because if ur from carrington area it wouldn't be worth much.

Lol that comment really made me laugh haha that was a good one ill give ya that!!
    ndsportsfan14
    NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Girls