NBA Lockout

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NBA Lockout

Postby cardinal10 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:22 am

Anyone REALLY care that much that the NBA lockout continues? Personally, NFL takes all the headlines this time of year anyway. Just goes to show how money hungry NBA players really are when the stars threaten to play in Europe if the NBA season goes in the tank. Pretty much saying "I'm in it for the money" Maybe no NBA will bring out more hockey fans. I might miss the NBA come about conference finals time when they play like they care--which is when? May? I take the NFL, some good high school sports and March madness to get me through to the NFL draft and a Twins rebound.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Re: NBA Lockout

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:25 am

cardinal10 wrote:A Just goes to show how money hungry NBA players really are when the stars threaten to play in Europe if the NBA season goes in the tank. Pretty much saying "I'm in it for the money"

So what do you suggest they do instead of playing overseas?

Nice work putting all the blame on the players. The players didn't strike, the owners locked them out.

I have a feeling most of ND Preps won't care that they aren't playing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:19 pm

I care. I love the NBA. Granted, I don't pay really close attention until after football season, I still want them playing.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:30 pm

i dont even notice that there isnt NBA.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Honestly no one will miss it until play off time, right now there college football, college basketball, NFL, and high school basketball to watch instead. Honestly the players don't even start playing or caring until like April so these first months aren't exactly great game to watch.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:22 am

I won't miss it even if there are no playoffs. Honestly, who wants to sit inside in June and watch basketball on TV? The season is too friggin' long, but I know it will never change because of the money involved.

When summer finally arrives in Dakota in June, I'm outside doing stuff, not sitting inside glued to the flat screen.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:25 am

Well it looks like they have a deal in place. I am excited. I can't wait to see Rubio and DWill, yeah he's the new DWill.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:39 am

Yes I was glad to see all the Greeds come to terms....they need a new Commissioner (dont like Stern) and the owners and players need to realize that its not one another who Butters each others Bread it the fans that make it go round!!!!JMHO
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Hinsa wrote:I won't miss it even if there are no playoffs. Honestly, who wants to sit inside in June and watch basketball on TV? The season is too friggin' long, but I know it will never change because of the money involved.

When summer finally arrives in Dakota in June, I'm outside doing stuff, not sitting inside glued to the flat screen.

Honestly, what are you doing outside every night in the summer? I don't think its that big of deal to be inside watching a basketball game.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:54 pm

winner-within wrote:Yes I was glad to see all the Greeds come to terms....they need a new Commissioner (dont like Stern) and the owners and players need to realize that its not one another who Butters each others Bread it the fans that make it go round!!!!JMHO

The NBA has never understood that, that is why it hasn't been as popular as the NFL or MLB. To be successful you need to understand that it is all about the fans and without them you are nothing. The NBA just doesn't get that.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:21 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:
winner-within wrote:Yes I was glad to see all the Greeds come to terms....they need a new Commissioner (dont like Stern) and the owners and players need to realize that its not one another who Butters each others Bread it the fans that make it go round!!!!JMHO

The NBA has never understood that, that is why it hasn't been as popular as the NFL or MLB. To be successful you need to understand that it is all about the fans and without them you are nothing. The NBA just doesn't get that.

I'd say it's more popular than the MLB.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:11 pm

I dont think its always been that way....Its Fiercely popular Worldwide, and whenever it is time for Union talks and Contract issues, your going to see the Greed from both Party's.....There isn't a Pro sport that has more rules and regulations and stringency than the NBA...and I believe this evolved because it was so Black dominated.

Anyway I cant wait, I love watching the Giants of the hardwood go at it!!!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 am

What does having more rules and regulations have to do with any thing? I'm pretty sure that it isn't as popular as baseball (hate to say it cause I don't like baseball at all), but I'm pretty sure MLB is still ahead of it
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:45 am

NFL>>>>MLB>>NBA>>>>>>>>>NHL - in terms of US popularity and this is coming from someone that would much rather watch the NBA than MLB.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I would bet there is more "rules and regulations" in the NFL.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:09 am

Flip wrote:NFL>>>>MLB>>NBA>>>>>>>>>NHL - in terms of US popularity and this is coming from someone that would much rather watch the NBA than MLB.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I would bet there is more "rules and regulations" in the NFL.

Not...tell me the Last time any Pro Athlete was kicked out of their Sport for the whole Season???.....besides the NBA
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:11 am

2010 - NFL, and I have no idea why you think because someone was kicked out of the season means they have more rules and regulations.

For example in the NFL your socks have to be a certain height, you can't go to a knee to celebrate, you can't use the ball as a prop, you can't take your helmet off to celebrate, the only skin you can show is on your arms, you can be suspended for a crime you are acquitted of, there are a million other things with OTAs, minicamps, and training camp, etc. And this doesn't even factor in anything with TV, which I'm sure is more complex than anything the NBA has.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:32 am

Not to mention the tons of rules about hitting qbs, defending receivers, tackling runners, and how you are allowed to do do everything. This is a list of the most profitable leagues in the world:
1. NFL $984.5 million
2. English Premier League $513 million
3. MLB $496 million
4. Formula One $435 million
5. NBA $207 million
so I don't think the NBA can be more popular when they make less than half of everything else on that list
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 am

I didn't say it was more Popular....I said It was Fiercely Popular World Wide......It would be pretty easy to Tally up more Cash with more fan attendance.

Ratio Wise, the NBA makes way more Dollar

Hence the fight over Money....Remember even Wade and James had to take a pay cut just to play together....Scenarios like that don't exist in the Other Sports.....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:14 am

? If it's so popular world wide how come they make half of everything else? This whole thing is just confusing, everything kind of contradicts everything else and it makes no sense
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:37 pm

winner-within wrote:Ratio Wise, the NBA makes way more Dollar

Ratio of what?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Well I assume the numbers that were thrown out represent Total Gross Revenue????.....The NBA would lead easily if they sat 80,000 fans and played 180 games....as Far as a Pro Sport, the NBA generates the most money world Wide and the Teams get a good percentage of that.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:24 pm

That may be but ifs don't really do anyone any good. If the NFL played an 80 game schedule I bet they could make more to but it isn't realistic and doesn't happen so if this and if that doesn't matter. You have to go by what actually occurs and the facts show the NBA by far makes the least amount of money.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:20 pm

winner-within wrote:Well I assume the numbers that were thrown out represent Total Gross Revenue????.....The NBA would lead easily if they sat 80,000 fans and played 180 games....as Far as a Pro Sport, the NBA generates the most money world Wide and the Teams get a good percentage of that.

I'm still not sure what you mean "Ratio Wise" but I think you just made an argument against yourself.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Ya. That's why i said the whole thing was confusing
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I won't miss it even if there are no playoffs. Honestly, who wants to sit inside in June and watch basketball on TV? The season is too friggin' long, but I know it will never change because of the money involved.

Honestly, what are you doing outside every night in the summer? I don't think its that big of deal to be inside watching a basketball game.

I'm outside playing golf, watching and/or running a baseball team, cutting grass, maintaining my yard, just doing the stuff outside that you can't do all winter.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things