All-Region 3 Team

The teams in 9 Man

All-Region 3 Team

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:12 am

All-Region 3

First Team

North Star — Hayden Larson, Ethan Sager, Josh Haugen, Daniel Grande, Jake Hagler, Colton Braun
M-L-S — Kirk Degenstein, Spencer Olson, Adam Undlin, Waylon Stanley, Dustin Mott, Matt Elllingson
Benson County — Matt Knudson, Tom Urness, Darren Young, Trevor Knutson
TGU — Reid Pfau, Luke Bacon, Eli Luna
Surrey — Dylan Eget, Taylor Walstrum, Mike Pruitt
Tri-County — Garrett Dockter, Colin Rutten, Darin McClintock
St. John — Kyle Azure, Dustin DeMers
Four Winds-Warwick — Chris Cook, Leonard Richotte
Kenmare — Ryan Young, Jonathan Essler

Honorable mentions

North Star — Steven Hunt, Nolan Rieder
M-L-S — Mitch Sundahl, Hunter Ackerson
Benson County — Brady Stoll, Dylan Lauinger
TGU — Lane Marshall, Anthony Zimbelman
Surrey — Trevor Heintz, Holden Hartley
Tri-County — Tanner Volson, Stuart Schneider
St. John — Nick St. Germaine, Vaughn Bruce
Four Winds-Warwick — John White, Collin Delorme
Kenmare — Mason Ankenbauer, Taylor Egeberg

Co-senior athletes of the year — Hayden Larson (North Star) and Darren Young (Benson County)
Coach of the year — Bryan Haugen (North Star)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: All-Region 3 Team

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 am

It looks like Region 3 still goes by a hard line for the number of players chosen to all region based on how the team finished. Doesn't look like Region 2 did this. Kinda sad that an allstate player isn't even on the allregion team.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:09 am

ndlionsfan wrote:It looks like Region 3 still goes by a hard line for the number of players chosen to all region based on how the team finished. Doesn't look like Region 2 did this. Kinda sad that an allstate player isn't even on the allregion team.

Who was missing that was an all stater?
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 am

panthercub wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:It looks like Region 3 still goes by a hard line for the number of players chosen to all region based on how the team finished. Doesn't look like Region 2 did this. Kinda sad that an allstate player isn't even on the allregion team.

Who was missing that was an all stater?

Will wait until the the allstate list is released and then discuss. I just don't believe on limiting the selection to a certain number for each team. If a player deserves to be recognized, they should get it.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:56 am

ndlionsfan,
you have no business bringing it up if you are not willing to discus it yet.

if a player does not make all region, their coach has no business putting him up for all state.

i am not saying the process is a great one now. it makes no sence that the top teams have every starter, or all but one, either all region or honorable mention all region.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby dyhardballa09 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:08 pm

d_fense wrote:ndlionsfan,.

if a player does not make all region, their coach has no business putting him up for all state.

What if a coach has 3 all-region selections based on the number he gets for that spot and he feels like he has 4 or 5 all-state caliber players? Its not his fault for who gets voted in.

What if a player is a one-way player (i.e. kirk degenstein), and that one-way player was top 5 in state at his position. But, you only get 3 all-region picks, and you have 8 2-way starters to also pick from. Some coaches go with the two-way player over the one-way player. I don't know who the all-stater not on all-region was, but it may be a situation like this. The coach probably had a good reason.....I hope

Also, a guy like Degenstein will be very hard to get on the all-state team, because he is competing with Schwartz, Hagler, Schweitzer, Bell, Hardy and Young at QB. So, theoritically, one of MLS's HM's may have a better chance at all-state, even though Degenstein meant more to the team and earned all-region.
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby footballchicken » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:25 pm

im guessing the post is about Benson County
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

dyhardballa09 wrote:
d_fense wrote:ndlionsfan,.

What if a coach has 3 all-region selections based on the number he gets for that spot and he feels like he has 4 or 5 all-state caliber players? Its not his fault for who gets voted in.

What if a player is a one-way player (i.e. kirk degenstein), and that one-way player was top 5 in state at his position. But, you only get 3 all-region picks, and you have 8 2-way starters to also pick from. Some coaches go with the two-way player over the one-way player. I don't know who the all-stater not on all-region was, but it may be a situation like this. The coach probably had a good reason.....I hope

Also, a guy like Degenstein will be very hard to get on the all-state team, because he is competing with Schwartz, Hagler, Schweitzer, Bell, Hardy and Young at QB. So, theoritically, one of MLS's HM's may have a better chance at all-state, even though Degenstein meant more to the team and earned all-region.

If a coach has 4 or 5 all-state caliber players on his nine man team, he doesn't finish low enough to have 3 first team all region selections. Most, not all, nine man teams play 9-11 players, and often the last few that play are just spot holders. If half of your players that are on the field are all state, you should dominate.

If a player is a one way player, I find hard to say he is an all-state player in the nine man division, unless he is quarterback. I would make this exception because I can see a coach putting such a high value on a player, that he just will not risk getting him hurt. If it is a one way player at an other spot, I question how good he is if the coach can't find a spot for him on the other side of the ball. I would be asking myself how can an all state athlete not beat out a kid who is not even honorable mention all region on the other side of the ball? Every player would be better if they had to only play on one side of the ball. The extra effort a player has to exert playing his second spot has to account for something IMO.

Degenstein is not an all-state quartberback. You just named 6 quarterbacks that most people would agree are better than him, and there may be more. All state is a big deal. If you are not one of the two or maybe 3 best players at your position, you do not deserve to be all-state. Does not mean you are not good, but should mean you are not all-state.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby panthercub » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 pm

I think Drew Schill deserves at LEAST honorable mention if not all region at db! IMO He was the best tackler on the NS squad!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vball10 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:19 pm

panthercub wrote:I think Drew Schill deserves at LEAST honorable mention if not all region at db! IMO He was the best tackler on the NS squad!

I think the reason he didn't get it was because he was only playing on the team one year. It's tough to give it to players that have worked their way up to being as great as they are. I definitely think all the people that got it over Schill just deserve it a little more then he did. NS had a lot of great players, I'm sure it was a tough decision!
vball10
NDPreps Starter

Postby AF PN » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 pm

For NS Did Josh Haugen make it for Offensive or Defensive End??
AF PN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mediaball » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:50 pm

AF PN wrote:For NS Did Josh Haugen make it for Offensive or Defensive End??

In looking through the posts, it looks like Haugen was out for a few games with some kind of injury? It looks that way on MaxPreps as well. If so, he wouldn't have put up enough stats to convince the coaches to give all-state honors, although his sack efforts before the no-stat games were quite impressive. I'm thinking if he was healthy for the whole season, he would have been a contender.
mediaball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Now that the allstate list has come out, I will bring this up again. Brady Stoll, jr WR for BC, made second team allstate but didn't even make allregion. I believe the all state recognition is worthy and am disappointed with the region that they didn't honor him as well. I'm assuming since BC got 3rd place they had a certain set number that could make all region. they had 4 seniors that were definitely deserving but that must have been the limit. I've been to these meetings and know how the nomination/voting process goes. I'm all for not limiting the number each team can have and just have the coaches vote on who they feel is deserving. This is how all district for bball works. I'm assuming this is what is also done in Region 2 as both the 3rd and 4th place team had more on the all region team than the 2nd place team. This is also a topic being discussed in Region 4 for A. Some people were upset that a few lower finishing teams had more than the 2nd place team. What are other opinions?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballchicken » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:48 pm

You are going to have years where things dont work out how everyone likes - it can happen if you are slotting players or if you vote. All i know is that if you have slotting, meetings dont take 5 hours and the right kids usually get in. If a kid doesnt get in because of slotting, those regions have at large selections for those teams that have a couple kids deserving but their team didnt finish very high.
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:49 pm

It's a joke. In football or basketball, you can have 9 or 5 above average players that can lead a team to a state championship. Then you may have one stud that just wasn't lucky enough to have the numbers or talent around him. They still put up the numbers while taking a beating all year, but get slighted because their team couldn't make it to the playoffs.
How far your team advances in playoffs should have no bearing on being selected all-state. Stoll is a prime example of how this selection process is screwed up. How you can make all state and not all region is quite humorous. I have heard arguments made that one kid is selected over another because they may play both offense and defense and yet they have an offensive and defensive team selection. So why should that be even considered? Really no rhyme or reason and hope any kid that was deserving and didn't make it doesn't let it bother them too much. 2 cents
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby footballchicken » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:54 pm

regarding all state teams - i agree with your comment, mostly all of the all state team is comprised of kids from playoff teams
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby dyhardballa09 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:04 pm

I don't see who Stoll would replace on all-region for BC tho...yes he made all-state, but i'm sure those other kids got at least nominated for all-state. Now, if you look at those other 3 players, their positions were lineman, or linebackers. Lots of nominations at those two positions from around the state. Then stoll at WR probably, not many teams have all-state caliber WR. So, I think it is easier to have a good year and make all-state at WR than have a good year and make it at LB or Lineman. I think every player on all-state should have all-region, but I just dont see any of those 4 seniors not getting all-region. young was senior or year. Knutson was all-region last year and their best lineman. Urness and Knudson were their top two RBs and top two LBs. I belive they were 1 and 2 in tackles on team. I think that those other 3 may be better players, but just faced stiffer competition when it comes to all-state selection.
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:45 pm

dyhardballa09 wrote:I don't see who Stoll would replace on all-region for BC tho...yes he made all-state, but i'm sure those other kids got at least nominated for all-state. Now, if you look at those other 3 players, their positions were lineman, or linebackers. Lots of nominations at those two positions from around the state. Then stoll at WR probably, not many teams have all-state caliber WR. So, I think it is easier to have a good year and make all-state at WR than have a good year and make it at LB or Lineman. I think every player on all-state should have all-region, but I just dont see any of those 4 seniors not getting all-region. young was senior or year. Knutson was all-region last year and their best lineman. Urness and Knudson were their top two RBs and top two LBs. I belive they were 1 and 2 in tackles on team. I think that those other 3 may be better players, but just faced stiffer competition when it comes to all-state selection.

That's not what I'm saying at all. All 4 players for BC were deserving and none of them should have been left off. Just stating my opinion that BC should have had 5 all region players because all 5 deserved it. The system is wrong if they could only have 4 because of where they finished. Can't say that there aren't a couple players from some of the lower placing teams that Stoll shouldn't have replaced.

And I'm not faulting the coach for who to nominate for all region either. He shouldn't have been put in that situation. All 4 seniors deserved it and they don't have another shot at all region so of course you put those 4 up and leave off the junior.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bearcats13 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:33 pm

I don't see how haugen got all region, once he got hurt he didnt do anything the rest of the season. I think he got in there because his dad was the coach. IMO I dont see how he got in there. Vball10 I dont see why it would matter how many years Schill played or not the region team is picked off of this years performance isnt it?
Bearcats13
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indy5 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Bearcats13 wrote:I don't see how haugen got all region, once he got hurt he didnt do anything the rest of the season. I think he got in there because his dad was the coach. IMO I dont see how he got in there. Vball10 I dont see why it would matter how many years Schill played or not the region team is picked off of this years performance isnt it?

It is, but it's also coaches voting so human thinking comes into play and they tend to lean on past seasons if a kid has proven himself already.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Bearcats13 wrote:I don't see how haugen got all region, once he got hurt he didnt do anything the rest of the season. I think he got in there because his dad was the coach. IMO I dont see how he got in there. Vball10 I dont see why it would matter how many years Schill played or not the region team is picked off of this years performance isnt it?

C'mon. Followed every Bearcat game this year. Haugen being a coach's son had no bearing on his selection. Josh started the year on a torrid pace against some of the toughest teams in their regular season schedule. Even after he came back from his bad injury, he played above average at about 75% health wise.
Schill started the season a little slow. Probably because he had to sit out all last year with an injury. But as he got more comfortable in the scheme of things, he really started to shine at the end of the season. Really a solid tackler. Had some awesome games during the playoffs.
The bottom line is the Bearcats went as far as they did because they had good athletes all over that team, including reserves. It's unfortunate that a line has to be drawn, because some really good players are going to get left off. IMO, that's what happened this time.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby mediaball » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

C'mon. Followed every Bearcat game this year. Haugen being a coach's son had no bearing on his selection. Josh started the year on a torrid pace against some of the toughest teams in their regular season schedule. Even after he came back from his bad injury, he played above average at about 75% health wise.
Schill started the season a little slow. Probably because he had to sit out all last year with an injury. But as he got more comfortable in the scheme of things, he really started to shine at the end of the season. Really a solid tackler. Had some awesome games during the playoffs.
The bottom line is the Bearcats went as far as they did because they had good athletes all over that team, including reserves. It's unfortunate that a line has to be drawn, because some really good players are going to get left off. IMO, that's what happened this time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to the state but learning quickly . . . . aren't All-Region picks done before play-offs start? If Schill started slow and started to shine during play-offs, it would be too late to get him All-Region honors no matter what. The announcement of All-Region honors seem to coincide with the end of the team's season. With North Star's season ending so late, the announcement for the all-region players was delayed until they were done playing. Can anyone verify that for me?
mediaball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby footballchicken » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:07 am

correct - all region is picked right after regular season
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bearcats13 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Haugen didnt really impress me except a couple games... I think Steven Hunt or Nolan Reider could have easily been all region.. Although if Haugen didnt get hurt i do think he would have had an impressive year, hopefully he will be good to go for basketball season
Bearcats13
NDPreps Rookie

Return to 9 - Man