Class AA FINAL Updates

The teams in Class AA.

Re: Class AA FINAL Updates

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 pm

nick1016 wrote:So.........that's the way it works for you Indy5? You get yourself a championship and you start throwing coaches under the bus. I could sit here and try and explain how wrong you are about Oksendahl, but I don't think it would change anything.

For the record, Oksendahl's Deacons ran out of 4 sometimes 5 base formations throughout the year. The straight T really worked well on a number of fronts for the Deacs. They ran fairly well out of it. It set up the boot nicely, but mostly, it made the defenses changes their play calling and then they'd come out with the spread and have the mismatch.

It sure is easy for some people arm chair quarterback - I take nothing away from that. But, throwing an established hs head coach with a track record that very few can match under the bus, I think that's cowardly at a minimum.

I didn't win any championship. I have not one thing to do with Grafton. If you read my other posts in this thread, I was criticizing Grafton too. I'm well aware of the other formations Shanley ran out of all year. My point was they ran out of pretty much the Jumbo T exclsuively (for the most part) for 3 and a half quarters and had 50 yards of total offense to show for it. When they changed things up and used formations from this century of football, they had some success.

As for my opinion on Oksendahl, to me, he seems old and out of date with current football. I'm sure he used to be a great coach, but not anymore it appears, at least if he's handling the play calling. Also, I'd just like to add that all his success at Cavalier is a large part because of the players he had. Not everyone gets to coach Matt Anderson's and Brady Trenbeath's. And Cavalier has stayed successful without him.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby In_the_Know » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Indy5 wrote:
nick1016 wrote:So.........that's the way it works for you Indy5? You get yourself a championship and you start throwing coaches under the bus. I could sit here and try and explain how wrong you are about Oksendahl, but I don't think it would change anything.

For the record, Oksendahl's Deacons ran out of 4 sometimes 5 base formations throughout the year. The straight T really worked well on a number of fronts for the Deacs. They ran fairly well out of it. It set up the boot nicely, but mostly, it made the defenses changes their play calling and then they'd come out with the spread and have the mismatch.

It sure is easy for some people arm chair quarterback - I take nothing away from that. But, throwing an established hs head coach with a track record that very few can match under the bus, I think that's cowardly at a minimum.

I didn't win any championship. I have not one thing to do with Grafton. If you read my other posts in this thread, I was criticizing Grafton too. I'm well aware of the other formations Shanley ran out of all year. My point was they ran out of pretty much the Jumbo T exclsuively (for the most part) for 3 and a half quarters and had 50 yards of total offense to show for it. When they changed things up and used formations from this century of football, they had some success.

As for my opinion on Oksendahl, to me, he seems old and out of date with current football. I'm sure he used to be a great coach, but not anymore it appears, at least if he's handling the play calling. Also, I'd just like to add that all his success at Cavalier is a large part because of the players he had. Not everyone gets to coach Matt Anderson's and Brady Trenbeath's. And Cavalier has stayed successful without him.

You are right Cavalier is still good program but I bet many of the things Okensdal did are still done there to this day. I could be wrong but last time I checked Cavalier has not won any championships since he left. Any school can have a good team from time to time with the athletes that come through but very few can build a program and be great year in and out. People forget in most small towns in North Dakota it is HARD to get athletes interested and train year round. Most kids prefer to spend their time drinking and partying and show up in August they will be fine. Ask most coaches with a crummy program in "A" and "AA" and they will tell you the same thing that the kids have no dedication and won't do the extra to get better in the off-season such as lifting weights. My hat goes off to the coach from Grafton for getting that program to turn the corner and keep kids believing.

Should Shanley have ran something different? Maybe but you got to remember Shanley's quarterback was throwing the ball 10 yards over every receiver most of the game. The quarterback sneak usually works in those short yard situations.

You seem like a good guy Indy5 and I enjoy reading all your post. I will just have to disagree with you on this one.
In_the_Know
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mags » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:15 am

I think a lot of what indy5 is saying comes from some disappointment in the whole day of football. I mean this is state! Could the A game have been more boring, seriosuly who wants to watch a counter every dang play! Also north dakota is soo far behind every state ever in modern football sense. I want more spread, or more pro style offense. But can we please do away with 2 te 3 rb sets. I promise the same teams will be successful running modern things as well. Its the players that will win not their offense. So just run something more entertaining please haha! I was very impressed with bismarck high and the way they changed personl. I know 2A teams don't have depth but you can still move some kids around a little
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby In_the_Know » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:46 am

Indy5 wrote:
In_the_Know wrote:
Indy5 wrote:One more thing, I don't see Oksendahl being a great coach. Or maybe he's a good coach but just a bad play caller. He needs to go back to 1980 with that Jumbo T formation. Not gonna work against a good team like Grafton. And really, it took til the 4th quarter to realize maybe we should throw? There was a point in the 3rd quarter where they had 38 rushing yards and completed 1 pass for 7 yards. The only time they started moving the ball was when they started going 4 and 5 wide and throwing. Then, they throw the ball all the way down the field for like 80 yards, get to the 5 and go back to the Jumbo T and get stuffed 4 times in a row. Don't change what was working.

Would've been more successful if they just kept last year's system that Laqua had.

It is easy to sit back and be an arm chair quarterback and criticize. What people forget is that this was supposed to be a down year for Shanley talent wise. Shanley did pretty well so I'd say stick with that T formation. People don't realize that last year Shanley ran the the veer which set up the pass. If you set up for the pass Montplaiser killed you by pulling the ball and running outside.

Shanley did throw try to throw on Grafton in the championship. Shanleys quarterback took forever to settle down and was throwing the football over every receivers head the first half.

Grafton just had a good team across the board. I laughed when I people said Grafton could have won the 3A east. After seeing Graftons big lineman on both sides of the ball I'd agree they would definetly be able to play and beat anyone in the east THIS YEAR. Graftons skill players get all the press but Graftons defensive line controlled the front.

First off, I know they ran some of the single back veer. They ran it a lot 2 years ago. But last year, it was mostly spread.

Your right, Salentine did take awhile to settle down, but they also did a poor job of getting him easy throws early in the game.

I don't get the whole down year in talent for Shanley comment. Obviously it was a down year compared to the last couple of years, but they were the 2nd most talented team in the state. There were a lot of talented seniors left over from last year's team, like Rivard and Nelson.

You must have not have been one of the naysayers that said Shanley would have been down in talent this year. I remember reading and hearing that Shanley would not be that great this year from many sources.
In_the_Know
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:18 pm

You're right InTheKnow. I wasn't one who thought Shanley would be bad. I didn't see how they could've been. Yes they lost a lot of studs, but the role players were all left over. The had plenty of athletes left.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsuallum » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:29 pm

I believe hanson greatly deserved senior athlete of the year. I dont know either hanson or jiskra very well, but i believe they are both big contributors to the grafton team. I believe it is childish to bully a high school kid online. Just think, would you say some of these in person to a kid. I do think Jiskra has talent, but to be senior athlete of the year...i would go with hanson. With that being said Grafton did not win a state title by one or two players. A great team and alot of of good players made that happen. QB is the hardest position on the football team, and with his success hanson has remained humble from my point of view.
ndsuallum
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thewanderer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I have said it befeore on a different thread so if you think i am being repetative i apologize. the two best players on Grafton's State Championship team were the FENSE brothers. Of and De :!: :!: :!: :D :D
JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:07 pm

ndsuallum wrote:I believe hanson greatly deserved senior athlete of the year. I dont know either hanson or jiskra very well, but i believe they are both big contributors to the grafton team. I believe it is childish to bully a high school kid online. Just think, would you say some of these in person to a kid. I do think Jiskra has talent, but to be senior athlete of the year...i would go with hanson. With that being said Grafton did not win a state title by one or two players. A great team and alot of of good players made that happen. QB is the hardest position on the football team, and with his success hanson has remained humble from my point of view.

Hahaha. I'm guessing you're talking to me with the bullying comment? First off, I'm not bullying him, and if this really offends him (I'm sure it doesn't) he needs some thicker skin. I'm just giving my evaluation of him. And to answer your question, yes I would say all of this to his face.

As I said, he's a great athlete, making him a good runner. He has a good arm, but I was disappointed in his decision making. A lot of my criticism comes from him supposedly being the best player in the state. Therefore, I'm being more critical of him, judging him almost more like a college scout.

My mind will not change that Jiskra is the best player in the state. If he played AAA I don't know if he'd be the top player, but he'd be the top receiver. Kid is SMOOTH. I haven't seen a reciever so fluid at the high school level ever.

What kind of looks are Hansen and Jiskra getting for college? I have to think UND probably wnats them both. And I'd have to assume NDSU would want Jiskra.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 pm

You wasting alot of Breath on this thread Indy, although I've done that before so I'm not going to say much

I think your on with you assessment of Coach Oks....but I still dont think Steve L. wins this year either and I would say Oks wins the last 2 as Head Coach also..
It boils down to this.....Horses!....and Grafton had them this year!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm

I think the crap said about Coach Oksendahl is a bunch of BS. If your gonna measure how good of a coach he is based on one game then wow, just wow.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:44 pm

ndfan wrote:I think the crap said about Coach Oksendahl is a bunch of BS. If your gonna measure how good of a coach he is based on one game then wow, just wow.

I know you played for him so you're biased. I'm not basing what I said off of how the game went. I'm basing what I say on how he coached the game. Outcome didn't matter.

Winner, I agree that Laqua probably wouldn't have won this year, and Oksendahl would've won last year. I do think that they probably don't win two years ago if Oksendahl was the coach.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby PR23 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Coaching staff called Hanson's numbers too often. Look what Burns did with the few touches he had. I agree, Hanson refused to throw the ball several times to an WIDE OPEN Jiskra, electing to run instead. Hanson is a good athlete who could be great if he didn't call his own number all of the time. It's hard to be the star if someone else (Burns) would have had three touchdowns.
PR23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thewanderer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm

ibhun10 wrote:Coaching staff called Hanson's numbers too often. Look what Burns did with the few touches he had. I agree, Hanson refused to throw the ball several times to an WIDE OPEN Jiskra, electing to run instead. Hanson is a good athlete who could be great if he didn't call his own number all of the time. It's hard to be the star if someone else (Burns) would have had three touchdowns.

I am obviously one of the bigger Grafton supporters. I agree that everyone has the right to their opinions but i feel i know the team better than you folks so here is my opinion. Grafton has evolved with this group of kids over the last 3 years. They started the spread offense at as sophmores out of necessity. Lack of size and depth on O-D lines the first two years forced them into a pass offense. Over the first two years, Hanson (along with Jiska, Demers, Suda, Leclerc) as a group have turned it a good passing team. As a matter of fact, that group threw/recieved vs Shanley for 350 yard average in the prior two years when Shanley won state. Fast forward to 2011. Gafton coming into season touted as a high flying air attack. But to theirs, and everyone elsed surpise, the O-D lines are as good as anyone in state. Opponents come in expecting to double cover Jiska and Defend the pass and then Graftons running game was born. The early Shanley game was one of the first games that the run roled. The next 6 or 7 games the spoilers run/pass to defeat most of the oppenents by 30 at half time with the starters not playing in the second half for 5 or 6 games. Fast Forward to the Championship game. Grafton's offense runs/passes to score 22 pts by half time. There were 3 down field passes so close to being completions that fell imcomplete, no blame to QB or reciever. Grafton gets one possession in the 3rd qrtr and gets a 50 throw/catch from Hanson to Suda called back on a hold. First 4th qtr possesion has Burns break free down to red zone, a couple of failed runs and a broken up pass to Jiskra and they go out on downs.(Grafton coaches object so hard that there was pass interfearence they get a personal foul). After that, Grafton gets conservative and wins out. GRAFTON'S DEFENSE DOMINATES THE WHOLE GAME

Knowing coach Maus, he was going to call his game and apologize to nobody for it. And why should he. THEY WON. Did it make for the most exiting second half, no. Would i have loved to see Grafton air it out? Depends on if you are in the stands watchin from your arm chair vs on the field either calling plays or running them. In defense of Jake Hanson, as he seems to be the target, There is no way he calls his own number. He is, and would like to be a thowing QB in college. NO WAY he calls his number for a modest 5 yard gain when he could hit Jiskra down field. NO WAY. He would much rather throw than run. I also agree that Burns is a great talent. With his size and strenghth he is a great runner, and even a better blocker! Out of the spread, it gives Grafton one more blocker to take out a LB and create a whole.(basic football). the team exexuted what Maus called and what Maus called won the Grafton Spoilers a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! These are just my opinions on Grafton. I love all the kids on the team. They are truly a great bunch of kids. JMHO :wink:
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 pm

thewanderer wrote:
ibhun10 wrote:Coaching staff called Hanson's numbers too often. Look what Burns did with the few touches he had. I agree, Hanson refused to throw the ball several times to an WIDE OPEN Jiskra, electing to run instead. Hanson is a good athlete who could be great if he didn't call his own number all of the time. It's hard to be the star if someone else (Burns) would have had three touchdowns.

I am obviously one of the bigger Grafton supporters. I agree that everyone has the right to their opinions but i feel i know the team better than you folks so here is my opinion. Grafton has evolved with this group of kids over the last 3 years. They started the spread offense at as sophmores out of necessity. Lack of size and depth on O-D lines the first two years forced them into a pass offense. Over the first two years, Hanson (along with Jiska, Demers, Suda, Leclerc) as a group have turned it a good passing team. As a matter of fact, that group threw/recieved vs Shanley for 350 yard average in the prior two years when Shanley won state. Fast forward to 2011. Gafton coming into season touted as a high flying air attack. But to theirs, and everyone elsed surpise, the O-D lines are as good as anyone in state. Opponents come in expecting to double cover Jiska and Defend the pass and then Graftons running game was born. The early Shanley game was one of the first games that the run roled. The next 6 or 7 games the spoilers run/pass to defeat most of the oppenents by 30 at half time with the starters not playing in the second half for 5 or 6 games. Fast Forward to the Championship game. Grafton's offense runs/passes to score 22 pts by half time. There were 3 down field passes so close to being completions that fell imcomplete, no blame to QB or reciever. Grafton gets one possession in the 3rd qrtr and gets a 50 throw/catch from Hanson to Suda called back on a hold. First 4th qtr possesion has Burns break free down to red zone, a couple of failed runs and a broken up pass to Jiskra and they go out on downs.(Grafton coaches object so hard that there was pass interfearence they get a personal foul). After that, Grafton gets conservative and wins out. GRAFTON'S DEFENSE DOMINATES THE WHOLE GAME

Knowing coach Maus, he was going to call his game and apologize to nobody for it. And why should he. THEY WON. Did it make for the most exiting second half, no. Would i have loved to see Grafton air it out? Depends on if you are in the stands watchin from your arm chair vs on the field either calling plays or running them. In defense of Jake Hanson, as he seems to be the target, There is no way he calls his own number. He is, and would like to be a thowing QB in college. NO WAY he calls his number for a modest 5 yard gain when he could hit Jiskra down field. NO WAY. He would much rather throw than run. I also agree that Burns is a great talent. With his size and strenghth he is a great runner, and even a better blocker! Out of the spread, it gives Grafton one more blocker to take out a LB and create a whole.(basic football). the team exexuted what Maus called and what Maus called won the Grafton Spoilers a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! These are just my opinions on Grafton. I love all the kids on the team. They are truly a great bunch of kids. JMHO :wink:

Don't take the armchair QB's too seriously, wanderer. Those of us who followed Grafton closely this year know how much of team they really were, in every sense of the word. And anyway, as you can tell from my tag name on this forum, I played line back in high school. And like any old lineman knows, linemen win football games, and the other 6 guys on the team get the glory. 8) :wink:
At the beginning of the year, my only concern about how well Grafton would do was based on the ability and depth of the linemen. As you mentioned above, they stepped up and far exceeded anyone's expectations. That ability changed the entire complection and play calling of this team. Great team... great season. :D
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 pm

old#63 wrote:
thewanderer wrote:

Don't take the armchair QB's too seriously, wanderer. Those of us who followed Grafton closely this year know how much of team they really were, in every sense of the word. And anyway, as you can tell from my tag name on this forum, I played line back in high school. And like any old lineman knows, linemen win football games, and the other 6 guys on the team get the glory. 8) :wink:
At the beginning of the year, my only concern about how well Grafton would do was based on the ability and depth of the linemen. As you mentioned above, they stepped up and far exceeded anyone's expectations. That ability changed the entire complection and play calling of this team. Great team... great season. :D

Agreed
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 pm

The QB is the General, like the Point Guard is.....if he doesn't attempt as many passes as the fans think he should of, yet he Control's the Clock the Ball..and they win a Championship....well?

Another Key ingredient to this Scenario is Hanson and Jiskra are ready for the Hard court with no significant injuries resulting from a stellar football season....I'm quite sure Hanson will have a few assist to Jiskra in December.... :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby PR23 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Not arguing with anyone here - just calling it like I see it. I totally agree that the Spoilers were all about TEAM and deserve the title. I certainly didn't intend to disrespect Hanson in any way - he is an outstanding athlete in not just football, but many sports. I will certainly congratulate him personally when and if I run into him.

Here's looking at hopefully a repeat during the basketball season.
PR23
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to AA