Class AA FINAL

The teams in Class AA.

Re: Class AA FINAL

Postby coolhandluke » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:10 pm

gobison wrote:It's hard to beat a team twice in the same season.
Taking that into account and that Grafton has little championship experience while Shanley's been there and done that, I'll take Shanley 34-24.

I forgot one thing on my other post. The saying as it usually goes is, "It's tough to beat a team 3 times in a season," not 2. And I've just made up my own new one. "It's tougher to win 3 championships in a row than it is to win your first one." GO SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nick1016 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:28 pm

coolhandluke wrote:
gobison wrote:Those sports don't equal a state championship game in football where there's a more intense atmosphere (along with the statewide broadcast). And Grafton players don't have much experience in the state championship game or especially the Fargodome and its turf. Shanley also has gotten better since their last meeting (which was in Grafton), and Grafton had its hands full with Wahpeton, who threw 3 picks (one for a touchdown), and only beat them by 12.

You can't be serious. The turf will make Grafton even faster. And Wahpeton was also a much improved team after beating Bottineau handily the previous week. I do agree that Oksendahl and the Deacon's experience on the field will help. I do however, look at the Wahpeton game as an eye-opener, almost an aberration. Grafton now knows they can't be tight, and just expect to win. It is tough to beat people by 30+ almost every game, only play 3 quarters with your starters in etc. and then just not expect teams to cave in to your superiority. That's what kids tend to do. A huge thank you to the Huskies, as now the Spoilers will be ready to go - they will have grown from the loss. The Grafton kids as I know them are a very intelligent group, with a strange sense of what they need to do to achieve their goal. Good luck to both teams, but I'd have to go with the Spoilers, no score necessary, who cares about that - JUST WIN BABY!!!

ok, your post begs the question.....what did you mean by "they will have grown from the loss"? Does it mean that since Grafton only won by 12 that you consider that a loss?
nick1016
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm

nick1016 wrote:
coolhandluke wrote:
gobison wrote:Those sports don't equal a state championship game in football where there's a more intense atmosphere (along with the statewide broadcast). And Grafton players don't have much experience in the state championship game or especially the Fargodome and its turf. Shanley also has gotten better since their last meeting (which was in Grafton), and Grafton had its hands full with Wahpeton, who threw 3 picks (one for a touchdown), and only beat them by 12.

You can't be serious. The turf will make Grafton even faster. And Wahpeton was also a much improved team after beating Bottineau handily the previous week. I do agree that Oksendahl and the Deacon's experience on the field will help. I do however, look at the Wahpeton game as an eye-opener, almost an aberration. Grafton now knows they can't be tight, and just expect to win. It is tough to beat people by 30+ almost every game, only play 3 quarters with your starters in etc. and then just not expect teams to cave in to your superiority. That's what kids tend to do. A huge thank you to the Huskies, as now the Spoilers will be ready to go - they will have grown from the loss. The Grafton kids as I know them are a very intelligent group, with a strange sense of what they need to do to achieve their goal. Good luck to both teams, but I'd have to go with the Spoilers, no score necessary, who cares about that - JUST WIN BABY!!!

ok, your post begs the question.....what did you mean by "they will have grown from the loss"? Does it mean that since Grafton only won by 12 that you consider that a loss?

That's the way it sounds.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby old#63 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
nick1016 wrote:
coolhandluke wrote:

That's the way it sounds.

Apparently Grafton didn't cover the Vegas point spread, I guess. :lol:
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 am

Grafton 34
Fargo Shanley 21
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Buck » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 am

Going with old coach.
Fargo Shanley 28
Grafton 24
Buck
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm

I remember a team that won three AA state championships that came down to A. This team beat everybody by a wide magin all year and into the playoffs. Nobody gave the team they played in the championship game, but alas they fell hard to a Velva Aggie team that year. If Grafton thinks they are going to run away with this game they might be surprised what happens. I would like to see them win, but they better be ready for a battle.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:I remember a team that won three AA state championships that came down to A. This team beat everybody by a wide magin all year and into the playoffs. Nobody gave the team they played in the championship game, but alas they fell hard to a Velva Aggie team that year. If Grafton thinks they are going to run away with this game they might be surprised what happens. I would like to see them win, but they better be ready for a battle.

They did fall hard to Velva....but not many were going to bet to hard against a team that had just won 48 games in a row....

also you have to remember....these 2 teams have played already this season
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:35 pm

winner-within wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:I remember a team that won three AA state championships that came down to A. This team beat everybody by a wide magin all year and into the playoffs. Nobody gave the team they played in the championship game, but alas they fell hard to a Velva Aggie team that year. If Grafton thinks they are going to run away with this game they might be surprised what happens. I would like to see them win, but they better be ready for a battle.

They did fall hard to Velva....but not many were going to bet to hard against a team that had just won 48 games in a row....

Yes, that might and might not be good. Its all mental right now.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby TheSeafarer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Grafton 36 Shanley 14. I dont see Shanley having the athletes to line up with Graftons. Grafton just has too many
TheSeafarer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:58 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Yes, that might and might not be good. Its all mental right now.

your right, its "who is up for the Fight".....they guy that lost the last one but also the one that won it all last year.....or the "Newly Improved Grafton Spoilers".... :P
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby coolhandluke » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:44 pm

To all who mentioned my "loss" wording (Grafton vs Wahpeton). OMG - I made a mistake when typing and thinking at the same time, but I am Norwegian so you must forgive me. I really only meant the Spoilers will recover from their finally not looking invincible, possible loss of momentum only - it could be a good lesson and help them. I hope that's clear for everyone. Have a nice night.
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby basketball9 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Glad to see grafton take this one. I know I haven't posted on here in awhile, but here are my thoughts and this goes for any game - a coach can never put a team on his back for an entire game. A clutch call here and there, yeah that's possible and it's been done many times but not an entire game. The team with the most pure talent wins the game if they show up and play, and grafton obviously did that by scoring 22 in the first half. Second half wasn't up to par for their offense, but the defense gave up 6 points all game and that's impressive considering shanley's "turf experience." Great win for grafton and I'm glad they proved everyone who predicted shanley to win wrong.
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Linebacker48 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:11 pm

It's hard to come back from a 22 point lead with basically no passing game. Shanley could hardly pass the ball until basically the 4th quarter and grafton has shown throughout the year they are very stout against the run. Shanley was dominated up front on the defensive side of the ball. I think grafton could have scored a couple more scores of they had passed more in the 2nd half. Did anyone else feel like grafton coasted in the 2nd half? But none the less great game for the Spoilers and congrats on their state title. They showed that Shanley was over hyped going into the game.
Linebacker48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nick1016 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Linebacker48 - I think you need to get your head out of the clouds. Shanley was overhyped??? Are you kidding me??? If you look back on the previous posts over the past 3-4 weeks, you would think the Gafton walked on water based on the some of the comments. Shanley came into the game with three previous losses - Grafton was undefeated. Shanley has to overcome some injury issues this season - thankfully, Grafton didn't have much. Shanley lost to the likes of V.C. - Grafton pretty much blew everyone out. Overhyped??? Based on what???

Regarding the 2nd half coasting.......I think Grafton wisely called the plays a little more conservatively, but I don't think they appeared to coast. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Shanley got in and leveled Hanson and few times he appeared a little hurt. That might have changed things a bit. Frustration may also have set in a bit, with a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that came into play. And, Grafton had a few more penalties as a whole in the second half that stymied some drives. Coasting......no, I don't think so.

Congrats to the Grafton. They had a GREAT season and earned the Championship. You fought for it - you didn't coast to it.
nick1016
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Linebacker48 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:07 am

Everyone was saying Shanley had alot of advantages including turf, and the coach. A good majority of people were picking Shanley to win. That was the hype I was referring to the people who picked Shanley to win. I believe that Grafton could have done more damage in the 2nd half whether you disagree or not.
Linebacker48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:37 am

You need Horses an a couple more Horses....Shanley had it the last 2 years....their coach moves on to MSU....His, (HS) coach takes over this season with less than before and runs into a loaded Spoiler Team....if there is anybody out there who thought the Deacons were the Better team (the first game?, then the next) they were off........its real simple...... there is absolutely no way the deacons were going to win 3 in a row.
They had lost 3 coming in....Grafton had lost none.......different era!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to AA