Officials Apologize for Early 9-Man Start

The teams in 9 Man

Re: Officials Apologize for Early 9-Man Start

Postby ndfbfan70 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:52 pm

what about putting it at the community bowl in biz? great venue good field. ya it might be a little cold some yrs but its centrally located and i think that biz is the most gracious host of all the the state tourney hosts. i really think its something they should consider. You treat north dakotan like crap you lose the privledge.

9am is too early, 11am is to early. not saying either team will not play there best but you have to physically ready to play football. a 16,17 yr old is not physically ready to play at 9am. move it to the community bowl play 2 on friday 2 on saturday. make sure mary plays an away game that weekend.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:19 pm

ndfbfan70 wrote:what about putting it at the community bowl in biz? great venue good field. ya it might be a little cold some yrs but its centrally located and i think that biz is the most gracious host of all the the state tourney hosts. i really think its something they should consider. You treat north dakotan like crap you lose the privledge.

9am is too early, 11am is to early. not saying either team will not play there best but you have to physically ready to play football. a 16,17 yr old is not physically ready to play at 9am. move it to the community bowl play 2 on friday 2 on saturday. make sure mary plays an away game that weekend.

Absolutely not. There is snow a lot this time of year. I think this is a bad idea. Everyone (fans, players and coaches) would be miserable.

And by the way, the community bowl's field is awful. I suppose it's better than a lot of grass fields, but the turf is so old and not nice to start with. Your cleats stick in it a lot.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Having all the games on one day was much better (IMO). If they bump the start of the first game back a little to like 10 or 11 I think this would work great. It should help attendence and allows fans to go watch all 4 games instead of making the long trip for one or two games. I think to make it fair though they should alternate which team plays the early game each year. This year the nine man game was easily the best game so there isn't really any reason it can't be the main event, and as far as attendence goes their were just as many fans at the nine man game as there were the other games.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 am

All of you lobbying for a later start to the first game have to realize that this will never happen. Didn't you find it odd that the schedule was 9, 12, 3, then magically 6:30? The half hour was not built in to give everyone a break. It was put there so the precious television stations could get their 6 p.m. newscast in without a problem.

As long as the format is four in one day, 9 a.m. will be the start time. If you saying the format works with a later start time, then it doesn't work. The NDHSAA cow-tows to the tv network every time, and your 9 a.m. start time is a perfect example.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:03 am

heimer wrote:All of you lobbying for a later start to the first game have to realize that this will never happen. Didn't you find it odd that the schedule was 9, 12, 3, then magically 6:30? The half hour was not built in to give everyone a break. It was put there so the precious television stations could get their 6 p.m. newscast in without a problem.

As long as the format is four in one day, 9 a.m. will be the start time. If you saying the format works with a later start time, then it doesn't work. The NDHSAA cow-tows to the tv network every time, and your 9 a.m. start time is a perfect example.

Why not have a day session and a night session? Have the first two games at 11 and 2, then resume at 6:30 and 9:30. Allows for the network stuff like the news, has enough break in there that if the first two games go longer it doesn't screw up the whole schedule. As far as rotating the schedule for which division plays first, that will probably never happen. If you heard Sherm's interview, he said something about the AAA game is last to provide for the largest market. I don't beleive that one bit. You telling me that thousands of people in Minot, GF, Fargo, and Bismarck tuned in for that last game? Doubt it. The people in Bismarck that cared made the trip to the game. The people in Fargo that cared, went out to see the game. I believe the 9man and the A game brings the most viewers because you have all the small towns across the state watching it.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Everyone knows the big schools are better for rateings. Isn't that why the class A Boys Basketball does so well while the Class B Boys struggle for an audience? sarcasm
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

The latest start you will see for the final game is 8:00 p.m. And right now, that start will only happen on a Saturday night, since the late night show has to get on by 10:35 p.m., and the news is on at 10 p.m.

So, if we're gonna do this on a Friday, you will see no other schedule that fits what television wants to do. Missing the 6 p.m. news is not an option. Missing the 10 p.m. news is not an option. Television will not allow it.

With those scheduling criteria in mind, you can see the wall the NDHSAA has been shoved against by TV:

No games between 6 and 6:30, and only one game after 6:30, so the 10 p.m. news can get done. With four games, you will have to have three done before 6 p.m. There is absolutely no way to get three games in before 6 p.m. unless you start the first one at 9 a.m.

If all parts were equal, I'd be willing to look at an 11, 2, 5 and 8 option. But this will never happen, as the TV networks will not allow it.

In a way, it's some justice. TV is the reason why we don't have three classes of basketball, screwing some schools. Now the small ones get screwed by TV in football. Well, at least the metro teams will never get screwed.

Seriously, and I mean seriously, how long until either the metro teams are kicked out of the NDHSAA, or until the metro schools decide they no longer need the NDHSAA. Either way, the landscape will improve tremendously. To the schools in Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks, and Minot: Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. I hear Eddie Secureboards in Fargo would be a great choice for your executive secretary, since he already has Sherm Sylling by the you-know-whats. The last guy that ran a league like Secureboards runs the EDC was Custer. How did that work out?
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 pm

so make up your mind....is it Custer or TV???
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to 9 - Man