Re: Class AA FINAL Updates

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:08 pm

TD Spoilers!

5:36 left in 1st Half: Grafton leads 14-0
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Squib/Onside kick recovery for the Spoilers!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:13 pm

TD Spoilers!

3:27 left in 1st Half: Grafton leads 22-0
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Halftime: Grafton 22 Fargo Shanley 0
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 pm

End of 3rd Q: Grafton leads Fargo Shanley 22-0
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:23 pm

9:08 left in game: Grafton 22-6
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Shanley forced a Safety!

2:05 left in game: Grafton leads 22-8
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Grafton 22
Fargo Shanley 8

FINAL

Stats to come...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Grafton 22 Fargo Shanley 8

FARGO SHANLEY
RUSHING: Tyler Rivard 17 carries for 41 yards and 1 TD; Joey Thorson 10 carries for 20 yards; Nick Salentine 6 carries for -4 yards.
PASSING: Nick Salentine 13-29 for 163 yards (1 INT).
RECEIVING: Brandon Nelson 4 catches for 58 yards; Tyler Rivard 3 catches for 30 yards; Alex Seltveit 2 catches for 24 yards; Joey Thorson 2 catches for 17 yards; Joe Hallock 1 catch for 24 yards; Joe Laske 1 catch for 10 yards.

GRAFTON
RUSHING: Zach Burns 10 carries for 130 yards; Jake Hanson 30 carries for 89 yards and 2 TDs; Christian Lunde 1 carry for 5 yards.
PASSING: 4-12 for 72 yards and 1 TD.
RECEIVING: Adam Jiskra 3 catches for 60 yards; Zach Suda 1 catch for 12 yards and 1 TD.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Not impressed with Hansen. I understand this was one of his poorer games but still. Many times he dropped back and Jiskra was open multiple times on the play with Hansen staring right at him but never threw it to him.
Hansen is a great athlete and that makes him a great runner, but wasn't as good of a decision maker as I'd like to see in the pass game.
Also, I feel like the coaches should make more of a point of making sure Jiskra gets the ball. Also, he's a far better player than Hansen is. He just doesn't get the touches to get the recoginition.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Attention Grafton coaches, can I get a goal line fade! For God's sake you have the best receiver AA fotball has seen in a LONG time and he's not getting the ball.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 am

Indy5 wrote:Not impressed with Hansen. I understand this was one of his poorer games but still. Many times he dropped back and Jiskra was open multiple times on the play with Hansen staring right at him but never threw it to him.
Hansen is a great athlete and that makes him a great runner, but wasn't as good of a decision maker as I'd like to see in the pass game.
Also, I feel like the coaches should make more of a point of making sure Jiskra gets the ball. Also, he's a far better player than Hansen is. He just doesn't get the touches to get the recoginition.

interesting observation......Grafton could have scored more points for sure....in all reality when it comes to Football....it isn't until the NFL when QB's are literally forced to get rid of the ball.....all in all you have to be impressed with Hanson, he played it safe.... its not like he ran up his stats.....
Wide open and Completion are 2 different things.....If Grafton had a Player who was better than Hanson at QB.....then Hanson would have been the best Running back in the State at the AA level.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby mags » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:45 am

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:Not impressed with Hansen. I understand this was one of his poorer games but still. Many times he dropped back and Jiskra was open multiple times on the play with Hansen staring right at him but never threw it to him.

interesting observation......Grafton could have scored more points for sure....in all reality when it comes to Football....it isn't until the NFL when QB's are literally forced to get rid of the ball.....all in all you have to be impressed with Hanson, he played it safe.... its not like he ran up his stats.....
Wide open and Completion are 2 different things.....If Grafton had a Player who was better than Hanson at QB.....then Hanson would have been the best Running back in the State at the AA level.

see i completly disagree with winner. I realize that hanson is a great athlete and runner, and we are posting now after the game in hindsight. Yes he did a great job winning the title and going undefeated but, but...im going to evaluate him as a qb, here goes.
Missed all sorts of open windows while staring down jiskra. also you said wide open doesnt mean completion. Well if jiskra is wide open yes it does mean completion - kid is a talent. Hansons feet werent great all night and he had bad pocket presense. on the plus like i said earlier he can run well and is athletic enough that he can be taught at the next level.
Grafton - you were stopped twice on the goal line! WHY not throw a jump ball to jiskra, if for nothing else do it for the fans! he ended the game with 5 targets. i would be pretty upset if he was on my fantasy team because i would have prolly had to have spent a first round pick on him.
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby mags » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:58 am

Didn't mean to be too negative on hanson. I only was critical becuz he is one of the top qbs in the state and I. Expect him to be able to play in college.
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:36 am

Grafton winning this state championship wasn't even about what Hanson, Jiskra, Suda, Demers, Lunde, and Burns did on the offensive side of the ball. Grafton won this championship while Hanson was on the sidelines waiting to put his helmet back on. Sure, the offense is the stats in the papers, and that's what most will talk about. The guy who threw the pass and the guy who caught the pass will be who they interview on TV. They'll give awards for Senior athlete, and we'll talk for hours about how this guy could have or should have done this on offense.

But you know what brought home the hardware for Grafton? DEFENSE. Grafton won this championship with one of the most commanding season long defensive performances I have ever seen. 12-0 and there is only one game where Grafton's starting defense allowed anyone to score more than one touchdown per game. That, gentlemen, is what will win you a championship.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby SBd » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:46 am

I think you guys are somewhat right that hanson didnt have the best game but one thing he did was lead his team. The defense has been great all year and they won it for them yesterday. Grafton also only threw eleven passes. Two in the second half. Hanson probably missed a couple open recievers but there also was a couple drops(Lunde and Jiskra deep) and 50 yard touchdown (sudas) called back. The whole second half Grafton was ultra conservative because they knew they could ride their defense and not make any turnovers. Hanson also does a good job at taking care of the football. Only 2 interceptions all year.
SBd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:30 pm

SBd wrote:I think you guys are somewhat right that hanson didnt have the best game but one thing he did was lead his team. The defense has been great all year and they won it for them yesterday. Grafton also only threw eleven passes. Two in the second half. Hanson probably missed a couple open recievers but there also was a couple drops(Lunde and Jiskra deep) and 50 yard touchdown (sudas) called back. The whole second half Grafton was ultra conservative because they knew they could ride their defense and not make any turnovers. Hanson also does a good job at taking care of the football. Only 2 interceptions all year.

Yep!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:22 pm

SBd wrote:I think you guys are somewhat right that hanson didnt have the best game but one thing he did was lead his team. The defense has been great all year and they won it for them yesterday. Grafton also only threw eleven passes. Two in the second half. Hanson probably missed a couple open recievers but there also was a couple drops(Lunde and Jiskra deep) and 50 yard touchdown (sudas) called back. The whole second half Grafton was ultra conservative because they knew they could ride their defense and not make any turnovers. Hanson also does a good job at taking care of the football. Only 2 interceptions all year.

Jiskra's drop I suppose is considered a drop and he probably should have hauled it in, but it would've been a crazy catch if he did.

Hansen's stats say he attempted 12 passes. His coaches called at least 20 passing plays, probably closer to 25. He just decided to take off all the time.

I give Hansen credit for only throwing 2 picks all year. That is very good as you need to take care of the ball, but he looked scared to throw it last night.

On the matter of me wanting to see a goaline fade, they kinda threw him one. It was 4th and goal from the 20 and they threw it into the corner of the endzone. Jiskra had the step, but the ball was short and inside, opposite of where it needed to be, so Nelson knocked it away.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Another thing I didn't like about Grafton's game. About the whole 2nd half, Shanley was putting 7 or 9 in the box(depending on if Grafton was in 4 wide or their short yardage set) and just played man press coverage. Yes, Nelson was in press coverage with no help over the top when he was covering Jiskra. Granted sometimes he bailed, but even then Jiskra still could get behind him. They could've hit Jiskra probably 3 times deep if they had just tried. Just throw either a vertical or a post. The touchdown to Suda was perfect(would've been the same thing if thrown to Jiskra, they were both wide open) but after the penalty, it's like they were scared to try it again.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 pm

One more thing, I don't see Oksendahl being a great coach. Or maybe he's a good coach but just a bad play caller. He needs to go back to 1980 with that Jumbo T formation. Not gonna work against a good team like Grafton. And really, it took til the 4th quarter to realize maybe we should throw? There was a point in the 3rd quarter where they had 38 rushing yards and completed 1 pass for 7 yards. The only time they started moving the ball was when they started going 4 and 5 wide and throwing. Then, they throw the ball all the way down the field for like 80 yards, get to the 5 and go back to the Jumbo T and get stuffed 4 times in a row. Don't change what was working.

Would've been more successful if they just kept last year's system that Laqua had.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby In_the_Know » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Indy5 wrote:One more thing, I don't see Oksendahl being a great coach. Or maybe he's a good coach but just a bad play caller. He needs to go back to 1980 with that Jumbo T formation. Not gonna work against a good team like Grafton. And really, it took til the 4th quarter to realize maybe we should throw? There was a point in the 3rd quarter where they had 38 rushing yards and completed 1 pass for 7 yards. The only time they started moving the ball was when they started going 4 and 5 wide and throwing. Then, they throw the ball all the way down the field for like 80 yards, get to the 5 and go back to the Jumbo T and get stuffed 4 times in a row. Don't change what was working.

Would've been more successful if they just kept last year's system that Laqua had.

It is easy to sit back and be an arm chair quarterback and criticize. What people forget is that this was supposed to be a down year for Shanley talent wise. Shanley did pretty well so I'd say stick with that T formation. People don't realize that last year Shanley ran the the veer which set up the pass. If you set up for the pass Montplaiser killed you by pulling the ball and running outside.

Shanley did throw try to throw on Grafton in the championship. Shanleys quarterback took forever to settle down and was throwing the football over every receivers head the first half.

Grafton just had a good team across the board. I laughed when I people said Grafton could have won the 3A east. After seeing Graftons big lineman on both sides of the ball I'd agree they would definetly be able to play and beat anyone in the east THIS YEAR. Graftons skill players get all the press but Graftons defensive line controlled the front.
In_the_Know
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:37 pm

In_the_Know wrote:
Indy5 wrote:One more thing, I don't see Oksendahl being a great coach. Or maybe he's a good coach but just a bad play caller. He needs to go back to 1980 with that Jumbo T formation. Not gonna work against a good team like Grafton. And really, it took til the 4th quarter to realize maybe we should throw? There was a point in the 3rd quarter where they had 38 rushing yards and completed 1 pass for 7 yards. The only time they started moving the ball was when they started going 4 and 5 wide and throwing. Then, they throw the ball all the way down the field for like 80 yards, get to the 5 and go back to the Jumbo T and get stuffed 4 times in a row. Don't change what was working.

It is easy to sit back and be an arm chair quarterback and criticize. What people forget is that this was supposed to be a down year for Shanley talent wise. Shanley did pretty well so I'd say stick with that T formation. People don't realize that last year Shanley ran the the veer which set up the pass. If you set up for the pass Montplaiser killed you by pulling the ball and running outside.

Shanley did throw try to throw on Grafton in the championship. Shanleys quarterback took forever to settle down and was throwing the football over every receivers head the first half.

Grafton just had a good team across the board. I laughed when I people said Grafton could have won the 3A east. After seeing Graftons big lineman on both sides of the ball I'd agree they would definetly be able to play and beat anyone in the east THIS YEAR. Graftons skill players get all the press but Graftons defensive line controlled the front.

First off, I know they ran some of the single back veer. They ran it a lot 2 years ago. But last year, it was mostly spread.

Your right, Salentine did take awhile to settle down, but they also did a poor job of getting him easy throws early in the game.

I don't get the whole down year in talent for Shanley comment. Obviously it was a down year compared to the last couple of years, but they were the 2nd most talented team in the state. There were a lot of talented seniors left over from last year's team, like Rivard and Nelson.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby nick1016 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:11 pm

So.........that's the way it works for you Indy5? You get yourself a championship and you start throwing coaches under the bus. I could sit here and try and explain how wrong you are about Oksendahl, but I don't think it would change anything.

For the record, Oksendahl's Deacons ran out of 4 sometimes 5 base formations throughout the year. The straight T really worked well on a number of fronts for the Deacs. They ran fairly well out of it. It set up the boot nicely, but mostly, it made the defenses changes their play calling and then they'd come out with the spread and have the mismatch.

It sure is easy for some people arm chair quarterback - I take nothing away from that. But, throwing an established hs head coach with a track record that very few can match under the bus, I think that's cowardly at a minimum.
nick1016
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to AA