Returning All-State Players?

Returning All-State Players?

Postby ForrestGump » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Who returns from last years All-state team?
ForrestGump
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Returning All-State Players?

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:46 am

Considering the All-State team last year was a joke with only 12 players and featuring basically just the senior player of the year from each region you wont see many returners. Off of the top of my head I dont know. Two players who were unjustly left off as Juniors last year were Nathan Linstad from Midway-Minto and Nick Milbrandt from Kindred. Both put up huge numbers on the mound last year. Milbrandt lead Kindred to a state title. But neither made all state because Region 1 Co-SR winners were Taran Langland and Jalen Ham and Region 2 reps were Sr winner Philip Schanilec and all state selection Tyler Ust. All 4 deserved to be on the All-State team as did Linstad and Millbrandt. The format is horribly flawed.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby gtownrat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:48 pm

To say the 2011 all-state team was a joke is an awfully strong statement. I think those that made the team would beg to differ with you on that . I realize that this forum is a place to spout your opinions but maybe you could use different wording. Just so you are "In The Know" the team consisted of 16 players not 12 . I happen to know that the number and makeup of the team was debated at the meeting during state tourney weekend . Anyone wishing to voice an opinion was able to do just that . In our region we sent a list of players we felt were deserving of all-state selection unfortunately 3 of those young men were left off the team. Fair or not that is the way it works . I agree about Milbrandt being left off the team (awfully unfair) but just maybe region 1 does the same thing we do . I think his dad was coach and I would assume he was at the meeting ? Leads me to believe he was sent from his region with instructions . If you selected more than two from each region where do you draw the line ? I honestly believe region 1 deserved more selections as did region 4 but I don't control that and don't claim to have a better idea . A couple of years ago everyone complained about Ryan getting 4 on the team (deserved it I thought) but their region did things differently . We don't get to see everyone play during spring ball so ya the system is flawed but why not offer a suggestion instead of whinning all the time.
gtownrat
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 am

I wouldn't say the players that made it weren't good players or anything. But the voting for it was very flawed, in some cases the guidelines weren't followed. Saying that every senior player of the year is automatically all state is ridiculous. The fact that each region gets two on the team, and only two is also pretty flawed. Just my two cents. I believe from the west Even Eberle (spelling) from Washburn is the only returning all state player.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby gtownrat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Again, I agree the system needs tweeking but what are the guidelines for selection other than the fact this past season it was limited to 2 representatives from each region. I guess I didn't hear of any official rules other than players selected could not have had a school year suspension. We were told to vote for our nominees from our region based on ability, accomplishment, attitude and to settle ties the ability to play at the next level. Once each region had their nominees a representative of that region in most cases the coach of the state qualifier were to debate the merits of said nominees. As you can see it would be pretty difficult to get 8 - 12 reps to agree on an all-state team at that meeting. Still looking for suggestions. I'm pretty sure Joey Demers from Grafton still has his senior year left so he would be second returning member of the 2011 all-state team ?
gtownrat
NDPreps Rookie

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:34 pm

Sorry for throwing out the number 12 off the top of my head 5 months after its release. If you would have read the other topic on this same subject you would have seen my detailed response. To save you the time I posted it below.

Re: 2011 All-State Team

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:00 am
The all-state team needs some major tweaking. This is not basketball where there should only be 16 kids selected. you only have 5 kids on the court at one time for basketball and get 16 players. Baseball has 9 on the field at once, almost double, and gets 16. Not to mention some players are deserving as all state based on their pitching numbers alone.

The way I see it is there is basically 2 players from all 8 regions. I may be off on a region or two but thats the way it looks just glancing at where everyone is from. Using Milbrandt as an example Jallen Ham and Taran Langland were named Co-Senior Players of the Year and are both on the All-State team. Which leaves no room for what seams to be a deserving player. To me either do it right or don't do it at all.

It should be set up as 8 position players and 2 pitchers as first team all state. If you have the numbers to be 1st team as a position and pitcher you are both. No different then college all conference selections for 2-way players. 2nd team 16 position players and 4 pitchers. I know we could easily come up with 14 more WELL deserving players based on stats alone. I can come up with 3 right off the top of my head from Region 2 in Ingrebretson, Lindstad, and Gonzalez.

In looking at the Class A football all state format from last year there are 14 first team offense and 13 2nd team offense for 11 players on the field. In seeing that I will modify my numbers suggested above.

First team- 10 position players (any position) and 4 pitchers
There are definitely 4 pitchers deserving of first team all state every year and they dont always make the state tournament or are seniors

2nd team- 10 position players and 4 pitchers.

There are easily 8 pitchers deserving of all state recognition and easily 20 position players every year. I could see the total # recognized as around 24 with on average 2-4 players being dual position and pitcher selections.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby slysteve » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 pm

I would agree the system is flawed. It is also nonsense that Senior Athlete for each region is almost alwasy all state. You dont see that happen in Basketball. It also seems like it favors dual players. Most kids that recieve All state are yes a good batter but they also play in the field and pitch. It seems like just set position players kind of get screwed if they cannot pitch. Which i think is very unfair. There is many deserving position players that dont also pitch who deserve it too. I think that they need to revise the All-State baseball team and maybe add a 2nd team.
"If you look good, you feel good. If you feel good, you play good. If you play good, they pay good."-Deion Sanders
slysteve
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Class B