Best Player (EDC and WDA) then bracket top 8 for voting for

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best Player (EDC and WDA) then bracket top 8 for voting for

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 am

Who is the best players from the EDC and WDA? After a week. I will take top four from the EDC and WDA and bracket them off and we will continue to vote until we get a #1. So pick top 4 from each(EDC and WDA) and rank them because I will seed them for the 8 player bracket.

EDC-- Bontjes Wahp., Arvidson RR, Jacobson Shanley, Syverson North, Kroeplin RR, Mertens DL, Norton GFC, Kozlowski Davies,Poss South,Strom Shanley, Wolden WF, Carpenter VC, Jordahl Davies

WDA-- Werner Bismarck, Coyle Mandan, Fraase Century, Adams Minot, Janz Mandan, Fisher Jamestown, Thoreson Jamestown, Obritsch St.Marys, I dont know all the names from WDA?
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Re: Best Player (EDC and WDA) then bracket top 8 for voting

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:51 am

EDC
1. Jacobson
2. Arvidson
3. Kozlowski
4. Syverson

WDA
1. Werner
2. Coyle
3. Fraase
4. Fisher

So I will take the votes from everyone to seed these guys, then we will vote to who advances to next round.
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:47 am

I have some inside info on Adams that he might not even play basketball this year to consentrate on football, because he is going to play football at the U of Hawaii. If he doesn't play, you could put Kelvin Mackey in there from Minot. I think this is going top be a breakout year for him.

Just some info.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndakotasports94 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 am

EDC
1. Kroeplin
2. Strom
3. Arvidson
4. Syverson

WDA
1. Werner
2. Fraase
3. Coyle
4. Fisher
ndakotasports94
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:07 am

AJ Jacobson
Mack Arvidson
Andrew Kozlowski
Mac Kroeplin

Devin Coyle
Dexter Werner
Tom Fraase
Jesse Kessel
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Coyle and Werner are obviously the 2 best players (everyone knows this). The reason is they make everyone on their team better. If you took Werner or Coyle off their respective teams neither would have a shot at the title. If you put them on ANY team that team would be an immediate contender. I give Dexter a slight edge as I think he makes a team a better than Coyle does just because of his size and position. However, I feel Coyle is more "clutch" and is more likely to make a big play in a close game. I really can't vote that one is better than the other however.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:43 am

There are some players in the EDC who would not agree that Coyle and Werner are the best players. Arvidson and Jacobson are very good.

I don't really like the statement that putting a good player on a team makes them an immediate contender, because, as we just saw with Hanstad, one player does not make a team great. Even two very good players with a poor supporting cast will not do much, as we saw with Eiken and Vinger.

Werner is very good, however, the loss of Liggins may effect his game, as Dewayne was able to get Dexter the ball in the post. If his guards struggle getting him the ball, there is really nothing he can do.
Coyle is very good, however, Mandan will need to establish a post presence, or teams will just chase him as Century did in the state tournament last year.

I expect Dexter to improve on his scoring and rebounding this year, but I think his field goal percentage may take a dip to that 45-48 range.
I expect Devin's scoring to drop and I see his assist to turnover ratio improving, as his teammates should now be capable of having their own individual success at the varsity level.

I think Jacobson will have the most impressive individual statistics this year. I could see him being in the 23-25 points and 8-10 rebounds night range.
Arvidson will have a season similar to last year. I am most impressed with his game because of his true shooting percentage being right around 48%.

I think these are the four best players in the state right now, and the last first team all state spot will be a battle.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:15 pm

If Hansted would have been healthy all year it would have been a different picture. I do agree with your other points. We all know there are certain players more worried about stats and "getting mine" than winning. Werner and Coyle do whatever it takes to help their team win. I don't know enough about the East players to make any intelligent comments but I'll take your word for it.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:58 pm

With Hanstad I was more talking junior year than senior year, as his junior year he had no supporting cast and his team was terrible, while senior year he had some help and would have had an inside shot at a state title if not for the injury.
With Bismarck this year, I think Dexter will need to get his, or his team may struggle. They don't have a lot of scoring back. Jaxon is a good shooter but has disappeared in some games, and Schirado was very hit and miss last year, and with both of their games relying on the three, it is possible there will be games where neither is hitting. This year Devin has the luxury of a very solid supporting cast, and I see his shot attempts dropping to around 10 a game.
Arvidson and Jacobson are solid. If I were voting last year, Coyle and Jacobson would have been first team instead of Erickstad and Rodenbiker.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:59 pm

I agree, but I would add that Collins and Schirado will have huge years. It takes most players at least a year to get used to varsity level.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:29 am

I could see both of them doing very well this year. I am attempting to avoid overhyping players that I have a vested interest in, as it serves no benefit to those players, and as I have played with or coached almost every player on Mandan's roster, and played with Schirado a lot in the past few summers, I am not going to overhype them.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:14 am

I don't think it will hurt them to overhype. Shirado and Collins will lead their teams in scoring many games this year. Although they are not the best player on their respective teams they benefit from having an all stater with them. I would rank them both equal to Fraase, who I also think is a good player but can't carry a team on hiis own
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby cheddar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Aj jacobson best player in state
cheddar
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Quite possibly. I think he will have a huge year, as you can see from my post above.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:43 pm

T$$ wrote:I don't think it will hurt them to overhype. Shirado and Collins will lead their teams in scoring many games this year. Although they are not the best player on their respective teams they benefit from having an all stater with them. I would rank them both equal to Fraase, who I also think is a good player but can't carry a team on hiis own

Shirado could definitely benefit from having Werner on the court, but Coyle shoots ALOT for a point guard.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Schirado was alright with him last year, but nothing spectacular. I have always thought of Collins as a 1 and Coyle as a 2.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:53 am

balla45 wrote:Schirado was alright with him last year, but nothing spectacular. I have always thought of Collins as a 1 and Coyle as a 2.

Shirado wasn't expected to be spectacular last year, but this year his role may change and having a strong post will only help. Collins will be an outstanding point guard, and his court vision is amazing. He will be a strong asset to try to control Mandan's perimeter game which can get sporadically rushed.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby beast_mode » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 am

T$$ wrote:Coyle and Werner are obviously the 2 best players (everyone knows this). The reason is they make everyone on their team better. If you took Werner or Coyle off their respective teams neither would have a shot at the title. If you put them on ANY team that team would be an immediate contender. I give Dexter a slight edge as I think he makes a team a better than Coyle does just because of his size and position. However, I feel Coyle is more "clutch" and is more likely to make a big play in a close game. I really can't vote that one is better than the other however.

I would like to know how you think Dexter makes everyone on his team better??
beast_mode
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:25 pm

How is Paxton Lloyd not in the talk for best in the East. Have you seen the kid play basketball??? Rediculous!!
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby T$$ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Dexter is an excellent passer and rebounder. He draws a lot of attention which will open up opportunities for teammates. Also a very good shot blocker/defender. Most of the best ND players play summer basketball with each other through ECI. Ask some of them who they would most like to play with. Obviously he is the only ND player that I am aware of with a D1 scholarship as of right now.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:47 pm

AJ Jacobson has multiple D1 offers.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:18 pm

balla45 wrote:AJ Jacobson has multiple D1 offers.

And he's only a junior.
gobison
NDPreps Starter

Postby T$$ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:32 pm

I am assuming he is Nick Jacobsen's younger brother? If so am am sure he is good. Nick Jacobsen would be the All time Class A leading scorer had he not moved to MPLS. Not sure what talent he has around him but I am sure he'll put up big numbers.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:30 pm

He is not actually.

Son of Pat Jacobson, an NDSU legend. His sister is very good as well.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:17 pm

balla45 wrote:He is not actually.

Son of Pat Jacobson, an NDSU legend. His sister is very good as well.

Better known as Pat (Smykowski) Jacobson...article from NDSU below:
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... LID=105572
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Next

Return to Boys