Divide County Maroons

The teams in 9 Man

Divide County Maroons

Postby AC-DC » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks for another great season DC. It was more impressive than anyone could have imagined at the begining. Just need to re-load for next year. With all the young talent, it's sure to be a good one.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Divide County Maroons

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Congrats on a great year DC!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Congrats on a great season DC!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jwiggs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:34 am

First of all i'd like to say, i have no idea who the group of individuals are, who came up with and adopted the idea of home field shall be given to the odd numbered regions in odd years and given to even numbered regions in even years, is this a joke ? What happened to, the team who has the better record at the end of the regular season shall be rewarded, with home field ? Isn't it possilbe that a team with 1 or 2 games left at the end of the regular season may be able to rest and not allow some of their better players to play also to prevent injury or heal from a previous injury by not playing in these games, if they have already clinched the top spot in their region and knowing that they will have home field no matter what the outcomes are in their last regular season games ? No one can tell me that home field doesn't make a difference in high school sports or for any level of sports for that matter !!! and most certainly when a team has to ride in a bus half way accross the state to play the game!!! This unintelligent rule takes away the reward for a team that has proven themselves during the season. I would think the group of individuals who came up with this idea would admit they have made a mistake and apologize to those who have been affected. Some may say i'm a sore loser and there's always next year, well they got one thing right i am a sore loser but for some players there is no next year. In conclusion, i'd like to say, i hope these people are not involved in the education of our young student athletes. p.s. I plan on sending this to several newspapers and most of all to the NDHSAA !!! If i'm missing something feel free to email me at hacardhwcar@hotmail.com
jwiggs
NDPreps Rookie

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:20 am

I see your point but think your taking it a little over board. Homefield advantage although it is a good thing shouldn't be that huge of a difference maker. Many teams have had great success going on the road. Last year I believe Wyndmere Lidgerood had one home playoff game against New Rockford, and then went on the road to face a really good NGS, the number one team in the state a really good Hillsboro team, and finished it off with a really good Thompson team. All on the road with Hillsboro being the closest place at like 2 hours away.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 am

Plus what happens when all 4 number one seeds come in to the playoffs undefeated? With no more non-region game I promise it's gonna happen. How do you determine who gets homefield advantage then? The system that's in place isn't ideal but it works and is pretty fair. This year it worked against you next year it will workfor you. It evens out
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby jwiggs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 am

how about a simple coin toss or even better how about the brilliant idea of a neutral field, the point is there needs to be incentive for teams to finish the regular season with the best record this rule is clearly without a dout unfair the system does not work, thats obvious. Makes me wonder if the word manipulation had anything to do with the adoption of this rule
jwiggs
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am

Would you have made the same argument if DC would have won to advance to the championship game to play, oh say Wyndmere-Lidgerwood who is maybe 45 minutes away from Fargo? DC would have had to make a trip across the state to play against what would be a team very close to home. This rule has been set into place for a while now, and is the only way to fairly set a site for same seeds.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:45 am

First of all, the team with the highest region seed gets home field advantage and if they have the same seed then it goes to the even/odd year thing. Secondly, now with no nonregion games a team that is 10-0 and #1 seed coming out of a weaker region should not just automatically get homefield advantage over a team that is 9-1, 8-2 and still a #1 seed out of a stronger region. Not saying this is true in this case, but it has happened in the past where the top 3 teams in the state were in the same region and one didn't even get to make the playoffs! With no nonregion games to compare regions, record just can't be used to determine homefield. I know in the past (20 years ago) they did play the semifinal games at nuetral fields but there must have been some issues with that as it was dropped. Guess I wouldn't mind going back to that because as we get fewer teams in the state, when you get to the semifinal round you could have some awfully long travel distances. But we get those same long road trips in the first round and no one complains because as a lower seed you should expect to travel. Plus, you're talking about Divide County here. no matter where they go to play they are going to have a long road trip. Heck, this was short trip compared to most of their away region games!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby jwiggs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am

Here's the point and fact the idea of the possibility of a situation occurring that a team and i don't care what team it is or what year it is, not having to achieve the best record that they possibly can during the regular season to get home field is, oh maybe, the biggest pile of ---- i've ever heard!!!!!
jwiggs
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vikingman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:55 am

It's the same rule that baseball had for the World Series up until a few years ago--in odd numbered years Game 7 went to the AL and in even years it went to the NL. In any one individual year, it might not be fair, but in the long run, it's better than saying that a 9-0 record in Region A means you're a better team than a team with an 8-1 record in Region B. There's no way you can quantify records when there are no common opponents.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 pm

jwiggs wrote:how about a simple coin toss...

Are you telling me that you think a coin toss is a fairer way to determine homefield advantage than alternating years? At least with the alternating years you know it's gonna work against you one year but for you th next. You could lose 10 coin tosses in a row! That's 10 years of having to travel...then people would be complaining about that. No system is going to be ideal, so what the NDHSAA has to try and do is find the closest thing to fair it can. And IMO they did
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby jwiggs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:35 am

the comment about how far DC had to travel during the season and that it should not have been problem going 225 miles to cando for a playoff game. You don't have any idea how that made you sound, do you ? Thankyou i laughed for about a hour, thats funny man !!! In conclusion, how about if 2 teams are to play against each other that have the same seeds and the same records which obviously would not occur until the 2nd or 3rd round, play the game at a place thats somewhere between those 2 towns, should be quite a few fields available by that time. this way, nobody will ever get screwed, ever again !!!!!!! this is my last comment, i'm gonna move on.
jwiggs
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:09 am

jwiggs wrote:the comment about how far DC had to travel during the season and that it should not have been problem going 225 miles to cando for a playoff game. You don't have any idea how that made you sound, do you ? Thankyou i laughed for about a hour, thats funny man !!! In conclusion, how about if 2 teams are to play against each other that have the same seeds and the same records which obviously would not occur until the 2nd or 3rd round, play the game at a place thats somewhere between those 2 towns, should be quite a few fields available by that time. this way, nobody will ever get screwed, ever again !!!!!!! this is my last comment, i'm gonna move on.

My point was, when you're up in Crosby any road trip is going to be a long one. And like I said before, they used to play the semifinals at a nuetral site but dumped that a while back. My guess is because of costs. The NDHSAA would have to pay this nuetral site to get their field ready, pay them to provide ticket takers and concessions, etc. (which is probably not easy to find people to work when their hometown isn't invovled in the game) plus I'm sure the schools involved probably complained because they would be losing out on a percentage of the gate and all the concessions by not having the chance to host a big playoff game like that. No plan is going to be fair for everyone, but this seems the most fair. If this was last season and Cando had to travel to Crosby would you be making this big of a fuss over it?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 am

ndlionsfan wrote:First of all, the team with the highest region seed gets home field advantage and if they have the same seed then it goes to the even/odd year thing. Secondly, now with no nonregion games a team that is 10-0 and #1 seed coming out of a weaker region should not just automatically get homefield advantage over a team that is 9-1, 8-2 and still a #1 seed out of a stronger region. Not saying this is true in this case, but it has happened in the past where the top 3 teams in the state were in the same region and one didn't even get to make the playoffs! With no nonregion games to compare regions, record just can't be used to determine homefield. I know in the past (20 years ago) they did play the semifinal games at nuetral fields but there must have been some issues with that as it was dropped. Guess I wouldn't mind going back to that because as we get fewer teams in the state, when you get to the semifinal round you could have some awfully long travel distances. But we get those same long road trips in the first round and no one complains because as a lower seed you should expect to travel. Plus, you're talking about Divide County here. no matter where they go to play they are going to have a long road trip. Heck, this was short trip compared to most of their away region games!

I like your view here
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:32 pm

I agree that some of these drives are insane! But if your team wins it's fine when they lose it not cool. It's part of football! Some of my favorite memories are on the way to or back from a game on the bus with my teammates. It's great bonding time if nothing else. Ha! But making those long trips make it feel twice as good when you win. Nothing gets you more motivated for a game than knowing you can make a long trip and then wreck someones day and season on their home field
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby 3nout » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 pm

jwiggs needs to quit crying in his soup. Win with class, lose with class. Deal with it and move on.
3nout
NDPreps Starter

Postby yep » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:13 pm

some of these drives are insane?

divide county's road games
divide vs bowman at dickinson (nuetral site) 200 miles
divide vs beach 175 miles
divide vs center 213 miles
divide vs central mclean 182 miles
divide vs mott 256 miles

For a total of 1026 miles. (round trip 2052 miles)
Add a trip to Cando and the total is 2484 miles.
Want to take a bus trip from Los Angeles, CA to New York, NY? It's only 2790 miles. How many fans could afford that?

Makes about as much sense as a 9 am football game. I would like to take my hat off to the ndhsaa. Divide will always have long road trips but the regions could have been set up different. I'm not complaining about losing just adding my two cents about the driving.
yep
NDPreps Rookie

Postby dyhardballa09 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 pm

And in what way would of been the better region setup?
Trenton
Parshall
Kenmare
MLS
Surrey
Dunseith
Benson County
St. John
Cando
TGU
????? If they did this alignment this year, then BC and Cando could complain that they aren't in the same region as New Rockford, Dakota Prairie, Four Winds,Drake and Lakota (all within 30 min-2 hours), but in the same region as Kenmare, MLS,Parshall, Trenton, and Kenmare. In the end, no matter how you align 40 teams in a state as large as North Dakota, someone is gonna be on the losing end. Also if you do this, who would you put in the SW region? Its a losing battle for DC. It's too bad they are in the middle of no where with a bunch of 11-man teams.
My solution: if DC fans hate the drives so much, tell the administration to request up to 11-man. Then you can play Garrison, Velva, Westhope, Williams C , Watford City, Berthold, and DLB. Velva opts up. Harvey opts up. Why not Divide County? And yes, they aren't anywhere near A for enrollment. But, Velva is 20 below. They aren't too shabby of an A team. If you don't like this idea, then tough luck. Tough it out and make the road trips.
I do agree it is a horrible situation for DCs players, coaches, and fans. But, it is what it is. No point in complaining.
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby panthercub » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:39 am

dyhardballa09 wrote:And in what way would of been the better region setup?
Trenton
Parshall
Kenmare
MLS
Surrey
Dunseith
Benson County
St. John
Cando
TGU
????? If they did this alignment this year, then BC and Cando could complain that they aren't in the same region as New Rockford, Dakota Prairie, Four Winds,Drake and Lakota (all within 30 min-2 hours), but in the same region as Kenmare, MLS,Parshall, Trenton, and Kenmare. In the end, no matter how you align 40 teams in a state as large as North Dakota, someone is gonna be on the losing end. Also if you do this, who would you put in the SW region? Its a losing battle for DC. It's too bad they are in the middle of no where with a bunch of 11-man teams.
My solution: if DC fans hate the drives so much, tell the administration to request up to 11-man. Then you can play Garrison, Velva, Westhope, Williams C , Watford City, Berthold, and DLB. Velva opts up. Harvey opts up. Why not Divide County? And yes, they aren't anywhere near A for enrollment. But, Velva is 20 below. They aren't too shabby of an A team. If you don't like this idea, then tough luck. Tough it out and make the road trips.
I do agree it is a horrible situation for DCs players, coaches, and fans. But, it is what it is. No point in complaining.

Very good point here, if the outcome were different you wouldnt hear the griping! Dont bring your complaints on a thread that was intended to congrat the DC kids on an outstanding season! Simply just go to "Group Therapy", there you can cry in your soup with the rest of em.
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AC-DC » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 am

J.W. save the effort, you won't change anyone's opinion on here.
The driving distance is garbage, but I think it actually made the team better, became an us against them thing. The drive to Cando, on roads that aren't beat up by oilfield traffic, was actually a treat. Too bad they don't actually take road conditions into account. Maybe the state should use the oil impact money to fund a north-south 4 lane in the west. No, highway 83 from Bismarck to Minot is not west.
As far as the game, if played perfectly, DC should have won. It wasn't, they didn't, but it was still a great season. Can't ask for more than that. Thanks again boys!
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 am

A certain baseball team had the following road trips within their region: 188 miles, 225 miles, 228 miles and 260 miles. They also traveled 188 miles for their regional tournament. This is just another example of teams having to travel. When your school is located in a remote part of the state you will have to travel, just the way it is. Congrats on a great season DC, be proud!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby jwiggs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:10 pm

HEY 3NOUT, I'M NOT CRYING IN MY SOUP, I'M EXPRESSING MY OPINION ABOUT SOMETHING I THINK IS WRONG, DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT ? AT LEAST I'VE GOT BALLS ENOUGH SAY SOMETHING !!!!!! I'M NOT GONNA WAST ANYMORE TIME ON THIS SITE WITH THE NARROW MINDED!!!!!
jwiggs
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I have a feeling if North Star is playing for home field vs Benson County they win that game.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:32 pm

I have another idea: after the season lets have a 9-man national championship. Since ND, SD, and MN are the only teams to have 9 man football it can't be that hard. We'll take the state champion from each state and play a short round robin tournament. Team with the best regular season record hosts the tournament. Does that sound fair?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to 9 - Man