Gatorade Player of the year in ND

Re: Gatorade Player of the year in ND

Postby gameplayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:07 pm

ballin34 wrote:This topic has gotten way off track. When it comes to bashing other players it is time to quit. Obviously everyone has their own opinion but sometimes its best to keep it to yourself. There's so many things I want to say back to that last post, but I am going to have some class and leave it at this. May the best player win!

Sorry for getting you a riled up. I think that the fact that we are discussing these two players in this forum(that is full of opinions) is because they are both high quality players. Everyone looks at kills as the big stat and although Hart has over 2000 kills I think 2000 digs is even more impressive. If I was at the service line and had a choice to serve to Hart or to serve to Thompson I would serve to Thompson every time. They are two different types of players. Thompson will be a very good front row player at UND. Hart will be a very good six rotation player in college. I believe when you look at Gatorade player of the year you have to look past kills and judge on defensive stats also. I would want Thompson on my team any day I am just offering my opinions after watching these two through the years.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Where is Hart going to play college ball?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dirtracer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:52 am

SENIORS
McKenzie Hart (Langdon) - 460 kills, 98 service aces, 56 blocks, 541 digs
Emily Thompson (Carrington) - 425 kills, 58 service aces, 34 blocks, 200 digs
Meghan Battest (Beulah) - 388 kills, 67 service aces, 305 digs
Julie Dinius (LANGDON) - 284 kills, 69 service aces, 56 blocks, 496 digs
Sierra Rosenau (Carrington) - 278 kills, 68 service aces, 294 digs

JUNIORS
Sara Schwanke (Benson County) - 386 kills, 62 service aces, 94 assists, 285 digs, 28 blocks
Abbey Braaten (LANGDON) - 331 kills, 81 service aces, 37 blocks, 378 digs

Looks like a one horse town in Carrington....

Think of the numbers anyone of the langdon girls would have if they were the only one getting set to.
dirtracer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsgirl2829 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:04 pm

its not a one horse town in langdon too? hart has over 100 more kills then anyone else on their team also so i don't see how you can say that dirtracer.
sportsgirl2829
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dirtracer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:21 pm

look at the stats sportsgirl2829.... Langdon has we will say three girls over 300 kills Carrington has only 2. Split 300 more kills up to just 2 of the Langdon girls what would that do to the stats... So i would say no Langdon Has the LEAD Horse and a has great supporting cast!!!
dirtracer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby wolves65 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:18 pm

just looking at the digs stats for Langdon, they have 1415 digs with just the 3 girls. Would like to see how the account for the digs because that is a really high number IMO.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gameplayer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 am

wolves65 wrote:just looking at the digs stats for Langdon, they have 1415 digs with just the 3 girls. Would like to see how the account for the digs because that is a really high number IMO.

Overalll record is 36-3. I am guessing they have played about 100 sets of volleyball. If you average 20 digs per set(which is probably low) that equals 2000 digs. So 1415 is not out of the realm.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:50 am

Total number of digs during the game (season). A dig is awarded when the player passed the ball that has been attacked by the opposition. When an attack is blocked back into the attacker's court, a pass of the blocked ball is NOT considered a dig. Passing a "free ball" (ie- a ball played over the net by an opponent simply attempting to "keep the ball in play" - not score a point) should NOT be recorded as a "dig".

Based on this definition of a dig from MaxPreps there is no way these stats are even close to being correct.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gameplayer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 am

wolves65 wrote:Total number of digs during the game (season). A dig is awarded when the player passed the ball that has been attacked by the opposition. When an attack is blocked back into the attacker's court, a pass of the blocked ball is NOT considered a dig. Passing a "free ball" (ie- a ball played over the net by an opponent simply attempting to "keep the ball in play" - not score a point) should NOT be recorded as a "dig".

Based on this definition of a dig from MaxPreps there is no way these stats are even close to being correct.

Found this also, states the same thing as what you said but in simplier terms for some of us :D . (from NCAA Statistics.

Common Volleyball Statistical Questions

#1 Q: Do you count the first contact of a "free ball" as a dig?
A: No, a dig can only be tallied from an attacked ball-an overhead attempt to score a point. Likewise, a free ball is not considered an attack attempt.

I think the key word in there is an overhead attempt. I dont doubt Langdon's stats or any other teams dig stats. Langdon plays the maxiumum allowable tourneys which alot of Class B teams dont. I believe Midkota, Central Cass and a few others off the top of my head play this kind of schedule also. Langdon is top heavy in their talent and run the ball through the three girls listed in the stats. I would be curious to see how their dig totals match up to last year when they were more balanced defensively. I am guessing a team like Central Cass is more spread out among six or seven girls. Good conversation! Its good to educate.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:02 pm

post the definition of a block as well, those block stats for some players are very misleading......many of the schools/scorekeepers out there register a "block" as a touch of the ball by a blocker or when a block by a front line player sends the ball back over to the attacking side......instead of needing to end the point.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gameplayer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:50 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:post the definition of a block as well, those block stats for some players are very misleading......many of the schools/scorekeepers out there register a "block" as a touch of the ball by a blocker or when a block by a front line player sends the ball back over to the attacking side......instead of needing to end the point.

Here you go. A very good point!

#2 Q: When an attacker is stuff blocked (the block ends play), does it count as a block and an attack error?
A: Yes, a block which ends play is counted as an attack error for the hitter and a block for the opponent.

#3 Q: When an attacker has an attack blocked, but play continues, does the opponent get credit for a block?
A: No, in order to receive a block solo or block assist, the block must end play. Touches on the block are not counted as blocks
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:52 pm

all of the high school stats are misleading, no way Langdon has had over 1600 overhanded attacks this year that were dug. I am not saying anything bad about the team just that these stats are not correct.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:01 pm

how often are high school volleyball stats 100% correct...usually schools have students doing them.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby gameplayer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:how often are high school volleyball stats 100% correct...usually schools have students doing them.

I think its a school by school situation. The good programs I think are pretty accurate because those coaches are probably taking the time to watch the video and restat. I watch some schools and the only person keeping stats is the one doing the book at the table.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:32 am

Just to get back to the topic...you can't overlook the top Class A players. They probably face more competion at practice than most B players do all year. Steffan has won a few championships, and Larson is likely to get one this year.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Carr » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:17 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Just to get back to the topic...you can't overlook the top Class A players. They probably face more competion at practice than most B players do all year. Steffan has won a few championships, and Larson is likely to get one this year.

Wow- that is bold! just wondering how many class B match ups you have watched this year? I seen some pretty good action tonight in Region 4. North Dakota Volleyball has impoved volumes over the last 5 years or so and I think all student athletes should be credited for their hard work.

As for getting back to the topic... I would have to go with my hometown girl for this award. Thompson is more than just tall. She is smart, kind, dedicated, coachable, and a talented athlete. There is no doubt in my mind that she is peeking in her high school career right now. In addion, (as pointed out before) she will grow alot as a player in college before she is playing at her top game. I really wish that people could see her as more than just tall......her height is just a bonus.
Carr
NDPreps Reserve

Postby yosports » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:16 am

Carr wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Just to get back to the topic...you can't overlook the top Class A players. They probably face more competion at practice than most B players do all year. Steffan has won a few championships, and Larson is likely to get one this year.

Wow- that is bold! just wondering how many class B match ups you have watched this year? I seen some pretty good action tonight in Region 4. North Dakota Volleyball has impoved volumes over the last 5 years or so and I think all student athletes should be credited for their hard work.

As for getting back to the topic... I would have to go with my hometown girl for this award. Thompson is more than just tall. She is smart, kind, dedicated, coachable, and a talented athlete. There is no doubt in my mind that she is peeking in her high school career right now. In addion, (as pointed out before) she will grow alot as a player in college before she is playing at her top game. I really wish that people could see her as more than just tall......her height is just a bonus.

I agree about the "tall" thing! I hate it when people say, "oh, she's tall that is why she is good." No, there is a lot more too it than that. I know a lot of tall people who are TERRIBLE athletes! Anyway, now that Langdon lost and will not be making it to State, I am betting on Thompson or Steffan for the award. Steffan has had a great year playing on a team full of talent. Thompson is a senior and my guess is that they will give the nod to a senior--assuming Carrington makes it to State. Just my prediction.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Volleyball