North Star vs Divide County video webcast

The teams in 9 Man

North Star vs Divide County video webcast

Postby vikingman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:11 am

We have committed to doing a live video webcast of the North Star / Divide County playoff game. I suppose it's possible that if the weather is very bad, we may have to cancel it if snow makes the video unviewable. And yes, we will be paying NDHSAA $1,500.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhs-test

The complete game will also be archived at the same site.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Re: North Star vs Divide County video webcast

Postby AC-DC » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks, a replay could be fun!
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dyhardballa09 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Good use of tax money....haha
dyhardballa09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 am

dyhardballa09 wrote:Good use of tax money....haha

Not sure that this statement needs a response, but from what I was told a local businessman raised the money to do this.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballchick » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:32 am

Kudos to the community for their support of the football program.
bballchick
NDPreps Starter

Postby panthercub » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:52 am

bballchick wrote:Kudos to the community for their support of the football program.

A very strong community...always has been!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 am

The plan for now is that we will be taking Mark Beighley's audio from KZZY FM (103.5) and feeding it to the video webcast. For those of you who aren't from this area, he's one of the best play-by-play guys you'll ever hear for local sports.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Lo res version for smart phones????
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby footballfanforever » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:30 pm

I just gotta say high school activities is a joke charging that type of money. It won't take away from the gate at all. Also, why don't they take some of their money they bank and buy a better time slot for the state finals instead of making teams play at 9a.m. They are such a joke with all of their decision making, and I guess that is something that just will never change.
footballfanforever
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vikingman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 pm

I don't have a smart phone, so I haven't checked in to mobile devices at all. Here is a page on UStream that talks about apps for various devices:

http://www.ustream.tv/everywhere
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby sb08 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:31 pm

footballfanforever wrote:I just gotta say high school activities is a joke charging that type of money. It won't take away from the gate at all. Also, why don't they take some of their money they bank and buy a better time slot for the state finals instead of making teams play at 9a.m. They are such a joke with all of their decision making, and I guess that is something that just will never change.

Amen, brotha!
sb08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 4mrnative » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Kudo's NS community! I'm so impressed by how you help those of us distant alum stay connected.
What a great contribution to the community, to alum and to the state as a whole.
Tell me where to send and how to make out my check to the SCHOOL for this opportunity. The NDHSAA is counter intuitive in this case...I'll be webside at 2:00 from the metro in Minneapolis pulling for the Bearcasts.
In any event or outcome...congrats to both teams on outstanding seasons!
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:28 pm

the stream was working for me, now it says off-air. Anyone able to see it?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Flip wrote:the stream was working for me, now it says off-air. Anyone able to see it?

Yep, its working for me Flip.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 pm

its working for me now, did ever not work for you?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Flip wrote:its working for me now, did ever not work for you?

No sir, it has been working since I first hit it but I only got on recently.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:22 pm

I should have mentioned that we do the webcast in HD with HD bandwidth, so if you didn't have a fast Internet connection AND a fast computer, it more than likely wasn't playing smoothly. The archived game is up, so if you lost your connection you can watch that and jump to the spots that you missed.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi-lites of this game on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KzznRx2s8s

It's about 10 minutes long, I wanted to include DC plays as well, and some NS defensive plays. It should be obvious from the score that this one could have gone either way. NS gets 2 TDs on 4th downs (one was 4th and 25), and a couple off off-side penalties on DC gave NS an extra TD. As in all playoff games so far for NS, the opposition relied on a running game, while NS relied on the pass.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:43 am

In regard to the NDHSAA position on webcasts...

I can certainly see the need to charge a fee for doing a webcast. A company like BEK probably isn't going to pay $1500 to show a game if the school is also going to set up a webcast that costs them nothing and cuts in to BEK viewership. Also, I don't know if the fee is the same for all 4 levels, or if the larger schools have to pay more. If 9-man has to pay the same as AAA, that needs to be adjusted.

This webcast was publicized well in advance of the game, and it was not a first-round game, but the state semi-finals. Yet we had only 275 unique viewers for the webcast. If EVERY ONE of those viewers would have attended the game, it would have brought in $1650. Of course, there's no way to know, but I doubt if there could have been more than a couple dozen people who decided to stay home and watch the game on a computer monitor rather than attend the game in person.

Our first-round webcast had 57 unique viewers, 2nd round (audio only) webcast had 150. If we had not done the audio webcast for round 2, there would have been no coverage of game 2 whatsoever. That was a very exciting game--it's a shame it wasn't viewable. There's no way we would have been able to pay to do a video webcast all 3 games--or even 2.

There's got to be a middle ground on the fees. Certainly not free, but also not $1,500, and less for earlier rounds. BEK gets paid advertising, and I'm sure a TV broadcast gets a LOT more viewers than a webcast. Maybe $1500 is reasonable for them. If they don't think it's economically viable for them, they probably don't do it.

I don't know enough about how NDHSAA operates and comes up with their regulations. But I think they need to hear input from the school administrators and coaches on this so it can be changed for next year. What I would propose:

1) Give companies like BEK first shot at any game. If they want to broadcast for $1500, then no local webcast is allowed. If they don't commit by Wednesday, it's open for webcast.

2) A sliding scale for the 4 levels of competition, and also a sliding scale for each round--much cheaper for Round 1 than Round 3. Just to throw out some numbers based on our viewership, for 9-man, I could certainly live with $250, $500, $750 for the 3 rounds. Even at those rates, I would think NDHSAA would easily be making more money on those fees than they lose from lost ticket sales.

3) If there is no TV OR radio coverage announced by Wednesday, local video webcasts are allowed at a reduced rate. (radio and audio webcasts are only $30--a totally insignificant payment)

Also, I would think it only fair that the opposing team voluntarily contribute for some of the fees. We tried to get DC to kick in a bit on this, but they didn't go for it. The host school isn't making any money by doing it, and with the travel distances involved, I would guess that for any webcast there would be far more viewers from the traveling town than the local town. Local fans go to the game, it's opponent fans and far-flung alumni that need the webcast.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby cardinal10 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 am

Excellent points vikingman. The part that alot of people don't understand is that NDHSAA has the rights to regional and state tournaments. It is in their legal rules. (Constitution & By Laws, etc). Always has been and for good reason. The advance of technology in recent years has brought more options for schools and fans to view games in the postseason. Also the greater initiative and capabilities of schools (people) like yourself are also good for HS sports. NDHSAA needs to revisit all the options out there. It will be tough to gauge what type of fee schedule could be established. If the lone indicator is lost ticket revenue, good luck, because who knows. One flat fee is probably not the correct answer, but the sliding fee depending on the round or by class is not either. A game...is a game...is a game.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:38 am

Granted, it might be complicated and time-consuming to come up with as many as 12 different fees, but I think I could pretty much guarantee that no 9-man school (or probably any sized-school) will pay $1500 for a first round game when they could possibly have 2 more coming up.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Return to 9 - Man