2011 - 2012 Season

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2011 - 2012 Season

Postby intensity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:30 am

Thoughts on who will be the best teams next year?

Fargo North: returns Larson, two wings who got varsity time... I predict they will make state again.
Fargo South: rebuilding year. I heard a rumor Flaagen is leaving - any confirmation? South's JV and Sophomore teams were pretty bad. Only one junior - Diederich, played significant varsity.
Shanley: loses strong core of seniors, return Saville, Anderson, Weir. Shanley has a solid program, but they will need role players to step up if they want to make state. Jacobson wll probably start to get playing time as an 8th grader, which is crazy. She's gonna be a stud.
Davies: returns everyone, Moffett has the chance to dominate in the EDC, have a good chance to qualify for state.
West Fargo: loses their main scorer in Holland, but the rest of their team was relatively young.
Wahpeton: all players return... first chance for Wahp to make state in a long time. Irwin and Albrecht are pretty good.
GFC: rebuilding year... loses Farroh and their point guards.
RR: not really sure about them... Ripplinger is back but they lose a lot of seniors.
Devil's Lake: loses a TON of talent in the senior class. Schafer is the only talented returner.
Valley City: I honestly have no idea.

I don't really follow the west but I imagine Century and Minot will have strong teams..

My prediction for state qualifiers out of the East:
Davies
Shanley
West Fargo
Fargo North
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Re: 2011 - 2012 Season

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 am

intensity wrote:Thoughts on who will be the best teams next year?

Fargo North: returns Larson, two wings who got varsity time... I predict they will make state again.
Fargo South: rebuilding year. I heard a rumor Flaagen is leaving - any confirmation? South's JV and Sophomore teams were pretty bad. Only one junior - Diederich, played significant varsity.
Shanley: loses strong core of seniors, return Saville, Anderson, Weir. Shanley has a solid program, but they will need role players to step up if they want to make state. Jacobson wll probably start to get playing time as an 8th grader, which is crazy. She's gonna be a stud.
Davies: returns everyone, Moffett has the chance to dominate in the EDC, have a good chance to qualify for state.
West Fargo: loses their main scorer in Holland, but the rest of their team was relatively young.
Wahpeton: all players return... first chance for Wahp to make state in a long time. Irwin and Albrecht are pretty good.
GFC: rebuilding year... loses Farroh and their point guards.
RR: not really sure about them... Ripplinger is back but they lose a lot of seniors.
Devil's Lake: loses a TON of talent in the senior class. Schafer is the only talented returner.
Valley City: I honestly have no idea.

I don't really follow the west but I imagine Century and Minot will have strong teams..

My prediction for state qualifiers out of the East:
Davies
Shanley
West Fargo
Fargo North

EDC will be Shanley, Fargo North, Davies and Wahpeton (going out on a limb there)
WDA will be Century, Mandan, Bismarck and Minot next year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby allornothing_8 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

Here's my predictions:

South: Will not stand a chance in the EDC because none one really had any varsity experience except one junior.
West Fargo: Needs to become a better ball-handling team to beat good teams. I predict middle of the EDC standings.
RR: Ripplinger is back and not really anyone else stands out. End of the standings for EDC.
Davies: Even though they were young this year and only won 3 games, I think they will be towards the top. No seniors this year helps that and playing with eachother for a year will help Davies become a threat. Moffet and Larson are key role players for this team and if they have a good game, the rest of the team feeds off that. But if they don't, opposite results will happen.
Devils Lake: Will probably go through the toughest year out of all of them. Graduating 7 seniors that have been starting most of the time in their 4 years there, will be tough on the younger girls with the changes of varsity games. Plus having a new coach will hinder them even more.
Shanley: Their Jv is actually decent, so good things might come from them in 2011-2012 season. Saville got some playing time, but wan't really an offensive threat. Weir and Jacobson will be their best players. From what I've seen though, Jacobson is a little arrogant and that will hurt her in varsity games.
GFC: Might be at the top of the pack, but there isn't really any outstanding players that saw varisty time other than Hammer.
North: It all depends on if they have younger kids that are ready to play at a higher level of intensity. Larson is the only one that started that is returning and, Bergeron and Johnson are the others that were regulars that came off the bench. I beleive that if they can work on the fundementals over the summer, they will be hard to beat when regular season comes by.
Wap: Again with Davies, wahpeton will be somewhat of a good team. Having Irwin and Albrecht return, they will be the ones to look out for on the team. They already got a new coach this season, so that's out of the way. I wouldn't understamate them because they will have had a lot of younger girls that did play varsity this year and could see a lot of time next year.
Vally City: ??? no clue.

Overall: The 2011-2012 season will be the complete opposite of this year because there were soo many seniors from each team that graduated. The bottom teams like Davies and Wap will be good and vice versa. It will be a rebuilding year until the 2012-2013 season when there are a lot more girls graduating. None the less, it will be a good year to watch!

My Predictions for State:
Shanley
North
Davies
Central
allornothing_8
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bballrocks245 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 pm

I think this next year could be as unpredictable as it gets... Shanley also has a 6'1" Sophomore returning that started the last two years: Anderson. I think I saw that she was the only one to compete with Farroh for blocked shots this last year.

North might struggle, I wasn't impressed with their other ball handlers. Not too sure how much time Larson puts into basketball. If I am not mistaken, for how good she is a bball she is twice as good at volleyball.

GFC has a Freshman that saw minutes this last year. I thought she had a good game and could really help them.
bballrocks245
NDPreps Rookie

Postby annierebecca4252 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:53 pm

If we just go by returning players it seems like the balance might shift in favor of the WDA this next year. They have a lot more people returning this next year than the EDC.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby intensity » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm

annierebecca4252 wrote:If we just go by returning players it seems like the balance might shift in favor of the WDA this next year. They have a lot more people returning this next year than the EDC.

I agree. Right now I can't see any east teams beating west teams like Century or Minot, who have a core of returning players. Of course, teams will all develop differently in the offseason and through the regular season, but right away the wda will have a headstart on the edc.
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gomagi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:14 am

Holly Johnson is probably the frontrunner for Miss Basketball next year. If Minot plays in the championship, Holly should win it. She is almost unguardable. She is one of the best three-point shooters in the state at
5'11''. When she posts up, just forget about it. She is also a terrific passer and a great defender.
gomagi
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:23 pm

The quality of the EDC wil be down big time next year, all the great seniors this year will be tough to replace. It will be a rebuilding year for the league.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:52 am

bruins44 wrote:The quality of the EDC wil be down big time next year, all the great seniors this year will be tough to replace. It will be a rebuilding year for the league.

It will be a good season to see what kind of programs these schools and coaches have. In Class B, a few good players can make a huge difference, but in Class A, they should have the numbers to consistently have a strong program. I expected Bismarck Century to be aweful this year since they lost all but one starter the year before (and 2 of them were all-staters). Metz and the Patriots were very impressive w/ what they put together.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby annierebecca4252 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Grand Forks basketball tourney played this past weekend. Team made up of Shanley's jv wins it all. I think they are going to be just fine next year. There will be another Weir (Kelly) who will be a Junior.

Question: Where is Farroh going next year?
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby eyeinthesky » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 pm

annierebecca4252 wrote:Grand Forks basketball tourney played this past weekend. Team made up of Shanley's jv wins it all. I think they are going to be just fine next year. There will be another Weir (Kelly) who will be a Junior.

Question: Where is Farroh going next year?

Answer: She is going to attend Northern State.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby annierebecca4252 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Good for her, I have heard that is a very strong program. I hope she does well there, she was a class act throughout her high school career (and, oh yeah, was a pretty good player too).
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby husker 33 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 pm

How about wda , Century and Minot must be favorites. Mandan is young not much size, they should have lots of speed thought. With Mic and a 2 soph's Howling Wolf and Peterson. Throw in there juniors should fare ok . Dont know much about Williston or Bismarck.
husker 33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby daviesfan » Sun May 01, 2011 12:42 pm

In response to allornothing.

GF Central has about as much of a chance of being on top of the EDC standings as Charlie Sheen does of clearing his name. Central has nothing left, except maybe for Fennell. The Olson girl also will be OK, but the rest will struggle.
daviesfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby allornothing_8 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:27 am

Central wil be a good team next year because of these girls:

Taylor Hammer: She was a sophomore this past season and she got a lot of playing time at the varsity level. Some games she actually started. With her being so young, there's only room for her to grow.

Briannna Bacon: When she wasn't hurt, she had a really nice shot from the 3-point range. She'll be a senior next year and needs to be healthy to be a threat for the knights.

Michaela Johnson: Not really a big threat, but she will help out with her experience playing varsity this past year.

Nicole Fennell: At the end of the season, Nicole got more playing time in varsity. She's only a freshman and will soon need to learn how to master the intensity of varsity game play in order to step into the role her team need her in.
allornothing_8
NDPreps Reserve

Postby grlsbballfan » Wed May 18, 2011 10:53 pm

I would have to say that Davies will bring up the rear in the edc next season. Not much talent on the team and very weak inside. They do have a very good coach, hopefully she can do some magic with her bigs. In the future Davies will be at the top of the edc.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:18 pm

ouch! not a big davies fan with that statement. bottom of the edc will be valley city- south.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan14 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Valley city could be interesting though. They have 4 out of 5 top scorers returning, and they can run. It'll all come down to if they can get their post to step it up, and get their outside shooting down. I wouldn't count them out just yet.
sportsfan14
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm

sportsfan14 wrote:Valley city could be interesting though. They have 4 out of 5 top scorers returning, and they can run. It'll all come down to if they can get their post to step it up, and get their outside shooting down. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

I wouldn't count anyone out at all. There aren't any teams that are expected to dominate so this is a good year for programs like Valley City, Wahpeton, and Davies to establish themselves.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby annierebecca4252 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:52 pm

I don't think VC or Wahp will be able to 'establish' themselves (although I am sure Davies is on their way) but the fact that so many graduated and their are so many unknowns makes for exciting possibilities for almost every team in the EDC.

On the other hand, South is very likely in line for a serious downturn.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballchk5 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:17 pm

grlsbballfan wrote:I would have to say that Davies will bring up the rear in the edc next season. Not much talent on the team and very weak inside. They do have a very good coach, hopefully she can do some magic with her bigs. In the future Davies will be at the top of the edc.

Pretty sure most of their game comes from the inside. They've got Brooke Hildre, Paige Weston, Jasmine Moffett, and Lexi Bolstad, all of which are 6' and taller. And on top of that they have other talented girls who will contribute to this year's success. Like many have said, everyone is returing so team chemistry will be much better this year. Last year was a definite learning experience, especially because only Moffett and Weston had any varsity experience the previous year. (Moffett being a starter and Weston being used a little less often). They're going to be the biggest (size) team in the EDC this year. The only girl that can compete against them inside is Anderson of Shanley.
bballchk5
NDPreps Rookie

Postby vballer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:18 pm

I thought that Larson of North was able to play with Davies pretty well inside last year. Davies will be good and Safranski is a great coach, she will have them ready.
vballer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballchk5 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:37 am

That's true about Larson of North. And Safranski will do a great job this year, after having a year of experience herself.
bballchk5
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Schmidty22 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Century will have the best team in the state they have at least 8 seniors all of them can play they are going to be very tough.
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Postby shelly k » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Schmidty22 wrote:Century will have the best team in the state they have at least 8 seniors all of them can play they are going to be very tough.

ehh no, 3 of them can play. The rest will ride the bench and watch the Freshman play.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Girls