Play calling

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Play calling

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:28 pm

What teams do it really well?

What teams seem to struggle?

Is there such a thing as a good call that isn't sucessfull?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Re: Play calling

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:What teams do it really well?

What teams seem to struggle?

Is there such a thing as a good call that isn't sucessfull?

There are a lot of really bad football coaches all around the country who say it's not about the x's and o's it's the jimmy's and joe's that make a difference. For those coaches who believe they can only win with superior talent that is 100% right.

When you have supperior talent there is no bad play call because you can physically beat the man across from you or you have 5 of the fastest players on the field on the same team.

It's hard to say what teams struggle without name dropping and mud slinging. But there are several who just don't get it.

A majority of high school offensive coordinators are grab baggers they see a play another team they play uses, or a college team uses or the worst, what they see on Sunday, those coaches throw all those plays in a bag shake them up then pull one out on friday night at ramdom.

It may work it may not if he's a good coach understands blocking rules and can get his team to believe in what he is doing and get them to execute at a very high rate. It just may work because no play is really designed to fail.

On the other hand some high school OC's don't really have a clue about the offensive line they don't coach it and they expect it to work because their favorite team ran it once last weekend, that play call is doomed unless you have some superstar playmaker who gets it done by his own skill.

Any small to med program who is a constant playoff contender Like Lisbon, Velva, Harvey, Lakota, they are probably pretty good play callers.

Any larger grogram who is only in the playoffs when a cycle of athletes come through like Valley City, Minot Ryan, Langdon, etc. probably not the best of play calling going on.

The last question, is there a good call that is not successfull. Calls don't mean crap if there is not coaching the players to execute.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:25 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:Any larger grogram who is only in the playoffs when a cycle of athletes come through like Valley City, Minot Ryan, Langdon, etc. probably not the best of play calling going on.

I don't think I'd call Ryan a larger program. They have an A enrollment and opt up to play AA.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Trinity is the only team that opted up to play at AA. Ryan has a larger enrollment than Rugby, Botno, and Trinity in AA and right there with Lisbon and Carrington as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Interesting assessment of play calling. When referring to grab baggers do you mean that the team hasn't practiced those plays leading up to the game or that the coach has seen something cool and has tried to implement it even though it doesn't fit into the general team scheme?

Although I don't entirely think that having superior athletes means that you will win regardless of the scheme, it does have an impact. There are many things that HS coaches do that are not sound fundamentally that seem to work on a regular basis. Little things like throwing the go route against a prevent defense seems to work often enough that teams do it frequently.

I also think that having a grasp of all of the players assignments makes play calling easy for the coach. I have noticed that some teams have a very limited blocking schemes, all man on, all zone, all double team etc... but few teams incorporate more than one or two very simple schemes.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:43 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Trinity is the only team that opted up to play at AA. Ryan has a larger enrollment than Rugby, Botno, and Trinity in AA and right there with Lisbon and Carrington as well.

are you sure it's bigger than Rugby and Bottineau? I really thought they opted up. I wasn't thinking of their coop with Sawyer on my first post, but I still don't think they'd be as big as Rugby and Bottineau. Also, do Carrington and Lisbon have any coops at all? Because when I was looking at basketball numbers a couple years ago, I am pretty sure Bottineau and Rugby were bigger than both. Lisbon was around 201 and Carrington was like 195. I think Rugby was at like 208 and Bottineau at like 210 or something like that.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:39 pm

It goes by male enrollment in 7-10, though. On the fball plan on the NDHSAA website, it listed Ryan as 109 (88 Ryan, 21 Sawyer). Botno was 107 and Rugby was 106. Lisbon was 112 and Carrington was 113 I think and that included their coop w/ PBK. I think Carrington had an enrollment of a tad over 90. Trinity was listed at 102, which I believe was 80 DT and 22 NE. The largest A schools were Langdon and Larimore at 104 and Watford at 102. It will be interesting to see what the enrollments are for the next fball plan that will begin after next season. I can see Watford and Stanley being bumped up to AA and probalby a few other west schools, too. Who knows what will happen with enrollment in and around Minot because you still have the oil fields nearby but at the same time had the flood which may decline the enrollment.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Football