Great Coaches

The teams in Class A

Great Coaches

Postby FanFromRegion3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 am

What are some of the things that the great coaches like Brad Sandy, Larry Sandy, Lyne Enget, Rick Philion, etc. do differently than the mediocre coaches? How do they establish the discipline to get a player to knock down a long pass on 4th down deep in opponents territory rather than take the glory of an interception? How do they get their lineman to open holes and hit hard time after time, when the running back gets all the glory? What do they do to gain the respect that their players give them?
FanFromRegion3
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Great Coaches

Postby butterbraids » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Booster club pays kids maybe?
butterbraids
NDPreps Reserve

Postby minidominator » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:22 pm

They teach TEAMWORK... In the paper the Harvey & Velva guys rarely take the credit. they share it with the entire team & that is always a confidence boost.
minidominator
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bison football73 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:06 am

OWUA: over worked, under apprectiated. thats what lineman are taught. Lineman work the hardest on the field and get the least amount of credit. from a young age they r taught that the running back gets all thetouchdown and the glory but the lineman did the work for them to get that TD. as for knocking down passes on fourth down instead of the interception, that is also taught from a young age to be smart and know the situation.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfbfan70 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:07 am

dan imdike-linton
kosel/klusman edgeley(both retired)
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby mama_bird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:43 am

Direct quote from one of Lyne Enget's athletes, "He teaches us not to get too full of ourselves and that everything accomplished on the field is a team effort." He went to to say also, "He always reminds us to continue to play "our" game and not play the opponent's game." I have seen too many coaches fall victim to parental pressure as well. I as a parent and also an ex-coach have always taught my son that the coach is making his decision based on a whol bunch of things and I never want you to second guess his decisions. If you don't want to be on the sidelines then you better look at yourself and decide what is putting you on the bench. I am fortunate to have a very talented athletic son, however I am also a believer in the fact that sports teaches life lessons, not everyone is going to be a star football player, just like not everyone is going to be the star musician. Those philosophies have served me well and i believe they serve my children well too. I support Lyne Enget and what he stands for, I have lived and worked in small town ND where parents did not support coaches. That is sad.
mama_bird
NDPreps Reserve

Postby FanFromRegion3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:13 pm

bison football73 wrote:OWUA: over worked, under apprectiated. thats what lineman are taught. Lineman work the hardest on the field and get the least amount of credit. from a young age they r taught that the running back gets all thetouchdown and the glory but the lineman did the work for them to get that TD. as for knocking down passes on fourth down instead of the interception, that is also taught from a young age to be smart and know the situation.

Who are some of the best class a linemen in the state?
FanFromRegion3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:24 pm

FanFromRegion3 wrote:What are some of the things that the great coaches like Brad Sandy, Larry Sandy, Lyne Enget, Rick Philion, etc. do differently than the mediocre coaches? How do they establish the discipline to get a player to knock down a long pass on 4th down deep in opponents territory rather than take the glory of an interception? How do they get their lineman to open holes and hit hard time after time, when the running back gets all the glory? What do they do to gain the respect that their players give them?

I have read every book I can get my hands on of the best high school football coaches past and present.

"Our Boy's" Smith Center Kansas head coach Roger Barta 79 game winning streak 2004-2009.

"When the game stands tall" De La Salle high school Concord California 151 game winning streak 1992-2003 Head coach Bob Ladoucer

"Twelve Mighty Orphans" Fort Worth Texas, twelve Orphaned Masons playing for the championship for a decade in the biggest class in Texas football. Head coach Rusty Russel 1927-1940.

In all three programs the same thing rings true, the season does not start in August it starts in December. The kids have to learn to love each other over themselves the person over the football player. They sacrifice for each other, the hard work they put in is not for themselves it's for their teamate.

In all three books there is very little written about x's and o's the detail to the most minute small things is what is the most important as far as scheeme goes.

Ladoucer ran the veer but hung is hat on his o-line play

Barta has his own offense called the "barta bone" double tight wishbone formation but straight t running plays.

Russel was said to have been the first coach to run the Modern "spread" offense like we see today.

All of these coaches stressed team unity they kept their players together as much as possible.

All three books are extraordanary great reads for anyone who loves high school football.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby A - Football Fan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 am

I truly believe that success breeds success in all sports....in these towns that are mentioned the systems perpetuate themselves. When you have success you can spend time working the lower levels like Junior Varsity and Junior High in teaching them the High School system of play so when those kids get there they already have a working knowledge of the basic system of play....on top of that these coaches are humble and modest about themselves knowing that they do not have the best players at every position and make the necessary adjusments to make things work...if a team is not a strong passing team you may see them play a weaker team, get up by a couple of scores and then start working on the weaker areas of their game...working on those weaknesses in easier games builds confidence in the players who need confidence so in the bigger games those types of situations seem a little less monumental of a task to accomplish where at the beginning of the season it may have been near impossible. This where I think the separation between good and mediocre is made....in my opinion.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BROBRO » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:35 pm

This might be rumor but i heard that Robin Huebner (now unemployed) might help coach MPCG next season.
BROBRO
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kiper » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:37 pm

BROBRO wrote:This might be rumor but i heard that Robin Huebner (now unemployed) might help coach MPCG next season.

i think i heard this too
kiper
NDPreps Reserve

Return to A