Grafton vs. Wahpeton

The teams in Class AA.

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby thewanderer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:11 pm

here is another way to look at it. Keep it in the east region. first, Rate these four team. Shanley, Lisbon, Central Cass, and VC. i would rate them in this order.
Shanley
Lisbon,
Central Cass
Valley City.

if the ranking is correct, Grafton beat the percieved better two teams by 76 total points
Wahpeton beat the next two teams down by a total of 68 points
once again, depends on how you rank them.
obviously i think Grafton is better. My perspective is a bias one. I would take the odds being a Grafton fan watching a game in CC vs a Wahpeton fan watching a game at Shanley. JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketball9 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 pm

It's all practice until you get to the playoffs
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

basketball9 wrote:It's all practice until you get to the playoffs

What if you dont make the playoffs?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm

winner-within wrote:

good question...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Spread O » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:57 am

Clearly he is from The W. Buddy, you gotta make the playoffs first.
The Spread O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:25 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

good question...

then you practiced for next year, hopefully you got the underclassmen ready to make the run for next year. Everybodies goal is to make the playoffs, then make a run at the title when you are in the playoffs.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 am

lovwatchingsports wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

good question...

then you practiced for next year, hopefully you got the underclassmen ready to make the run for next year. Everybodies goal is to make the playoffs, then make a run at the title when you are in the playoffs.

Believe Me I've Played in Hundreds of different... Competitive GAMES.....and have Practiced three times as much in comparison and Practice is Practice and "The Game" is the real deal......
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 am

I agree, winner. There's champions, and then there's undefeated champions. 8)
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby yzgy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:58 pm

They finally played teams, which the other team has played. I would have to say Grafton has the edge but as the old saying goes it is easier to become #1 than it is to stay #1. I would have to give it to the Spoilers by 12.
yzgy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby basketball9 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:25 pm

what i meant by "it's all practice until the playoffs" was that once you make the playoffs, it's anyone's game. anything can happen. everyone was making a huge deal about one regular season game, but both teams could easily meet up again in the playoffs and that's what actually matters. the regular season game that was played weeks before doesn't matter at all.
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thewanderer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:32 pm

it does if you want home field advantage. pretty important when you consider the long bus rides. JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketball9 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Just using one example here, the first game of the year Wahpeton traveled to Bismarck (over 3 hours on a bus) while bismarck was #2 in the state and Wahpeton won the game, despite everyone saying that they were going to have a terrible year. I think once the playoffs start the players know that it's single elimination and they are gonna show up to play from start to finish no matter whose field they're on.
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thewanderer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 am

basketball9 wrote:Just using one example here, the first game of the year Wahpeton traveled to Bismarck (over 3 hours on a bus) while bismarck was #2 in the state and Wahpeton won the game, despite everyone saying that they were going to have a terrible year. I think once the playoffs start the players know that it's single elimination and they are gonna show up to play from start to finish no matter whose field they're on.

basketball9, the main hype that got this thread going was the fact that both teams were 4-0 a week ago. there was a percieved build up to two undefeated east teams meeting to dicide the east region. Wahpeton lost. Grafton could lose as well. Every game is important in a 9 game season. Home field is important! i am sure it will be a great game in two weeks in Grafton and i am darn glad Grafton is as home. JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Spread O » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 pm

basketball9 wrote:Just using one example here, the first game of the year Wahpeton traveled to Bismarck (over 3 hours on a bus) while bismarck was #2 in the state and Wahpeton won the game, despite everyone saying that they were going to have a terrible year. I think once the playoffs start the players know that it's single elimination and they are gonna show up to play from start to finish no matter whose field they're on.

Bad example look at Mary's record :shock:
The Spread O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby basketball9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 pm

The Spread O wrote:

Bad example look at Mary's record :shock:

St. Mary's record came after the fact that Wahpeton upset them in week 1. They started their losing streak with a loss to Wahpeton. Wahp was unranked going into the game and St. Mary's was #2. Wahp lived up to the challenge and beat them.
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thewanderer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 pm

basketball9. i think you are missing the point. , Wahp beat a team that now seems to have never deserved to be #2 given there injuries, mishaps and performances to date. this victory catapulted Wahp up high in the standings. with a few more victories against middle of the pack teams and a Shanley loss to Grafton, Wahpeton bacame #1. They met up with shanley at home and got beat. it could happen to any one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the east, including Grafton. Now Wahp has a toughter schedule with Grafton, Kindred and Lisbon left to play. It sounds like Wahp has a nice team but a victory over the precieved yet over rated #2 isn't much to hang your hat on. Lisbon, Carrington have beaten them by as much as Wahp did and a (1-3) Bealuh team beat them by more than Wahp did. JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:47 pm

thewanderer wrote:basketball9. i think you are missing the point. , Wahp beat a team that now seems to have never deserved to be #2 given there injuries, mishaps and performances to date. this victory catapulted Wahp up high in the standings. with a few more victories against middle of the pack teams and a Shanley loss to Grafton, Wahpeton bacame #1. They met up with shanley at home and got beat. it could happen to any one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the east, including Grafton. Now Wahp has a toughter schedule with Grafton, Kindred and Lisbon left to play. It sounds like Wahp has a nice team but a victory over the precieved yet over rated #2 isn't much to hang your hat on. Lisbon, Carrington have beaten them by as much as Wahp did and a (1-3) Bealuh team beat them by more than Wahp did. JMHO

so far Wahpeton has beaten St. Mary's (nearly no chance to make the postseason), Breckenridge, MN (probably won't go too deep in MN sections), Central Cass (very slight chance to make the postseason), and Valley City (same as St. Mary's). Wahpeton got torched by their only opponent that is likely to make the postseason (37-6 to Fargo Shanley). In my opinion...Wahpeton really hasn't got that quality win yet to say they deserve a high ranking in State.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wolves65 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:13 pm

the east is Graftons to lose then it is a distant second from there. They have size and speed and the only things that will beat them is weather or injury. Shanley will finish second in the east and the rest is to close to call. All the remaining teams have to play each other yet can't really make that prediction. Not much difference between Lisbon, Valley city, Kindred, or C Cass at this point. This is still high school football and funny things happen in any game.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby old#63 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Hate to quote Yogi, but it ain't over till it's over. Grafton currently has three of it's starting recievers hurt. LeClerc is probably out for the season with a broken fibula, Suda has a torn up ankle and might not play for a game or two, and Jiskra has a banged up wrist and won't have contact all week. And starting running back Burns hasn't played in the second half of the last two games due to injury. There's kids on crutches and taped up all over the school. Injuries will play a big roll in how well Grafton is able to finish out the season. So far, so good in keeping the line healthy, because that is where Grafton is the shallowest for bench players.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Spread O » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:06 pm

old#63 wrote:Hate to quote Yogi, but it ain't over till it's over. Grafton currently has three of it's starting recievers hurt. LeClerc is probably out for the season with a broken fibula, Suda has a torn up ankle and might not play for a game or two, and Jiskra has a banged up wrist and won't have contact all week. And starting running back Burns hasn't played in the second half of the last two games due to injury. There's kids on crutches and taped up all over the school. Injuries will play a big roll in how well Grafton is able to finish out the season. So far, so good in keeping the line healthy, because that is where Grafton is the shallowest for bench players.

To bad for Grafton. Three starters out? How did they all get hurt? That hurts them cause now they are the new number one which puts even a bigger target on their back. My guess is that they won't last long as the top team.
The Spread O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:47 pm

The Spread O wrote:
old#63 wrote:Hate to quote Yogi, but it ain't over till it's over. Grafton currently has three of it's starting recievers hurt. LeClerc is probably out for the season with a broken fibula, Suda has a torn up ankle and might not play for a game or two, and Jiskra has a banged up wrist and won't have contact all week. And starting running back Burns hasn't played in the second half of the last two games due to injury. There's kids on crutches and taped up all over the school. Injuries will play a big roll in how well Grafton is able to finish out the season. So far, so good in keeping the line healthy, because that is where Grafton is the shallowest for bench players.

To bad for Grafton. Three starters out? How did they all get hurt? That hurts them cause now they are the new number one which puts even a bigger target on their back. My guess is that they won't last long as the top team.

LeClerc has been out since the first game of the season (6 to 8 weeks to heal), so I doubt he will be back unless it is for the late playoffs. Suda and Jiskra got hurt in the Cass game. Burns sat out the second half of Lisbon with a bruised shoulder, and the second half of Cass with a hard hit that kept him on the turf for about 5 minutes.
Burns and Jiskra will probably play hurt. Lunde has been filling in for LeClerc since early season, and my guess is that Contreras will fill in for Suda. Grafton has some depth at the skill positions.
Hopefully, Grafton can get a jump on Griggs County and won't need to play the starters the whole game. I guess we'll see. I'd like to see them as healthy as possible for the Wahpeton game.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm

The spoilers are dinged up with a few of the typical football injuries that might keep a kid out for a week or limit some affectiveness when they do play. I would guess most teams are expereiencing some of this right now. Leclerc is the only loss so far for sure as he started on O and was in the rotation on D. To date, other kids have stepped up and filled Leclerc's shoes. Now is when depth becomes important. When repclacements to starteers get injured, the talent pool has a tendancy to drop of quick. Managing short term injured players is tough as all kids want to play every down in their senior year, even tho it might not be the best for long term success. In my opinion coach Maus has done a good job this year with trying not to start a lot a kids both ways while still keeping a high level of skill on the field at all times. he hasnt had this luxury in the past. This will help Grafton down the stretch keeping kids fresh and bolstering overall team depth. JMHO
Last edited by thewanderer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Spread O » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Grafton runs a 4 wide i believe. So who are the starting skilled players. And then who are the back ups for the skilled poistions?
The Spread O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 am

The Spread O wrote:Grafton runs a 4 wide i believe. So who are the starting skilled players. And then who are the back ups for the skilled poistions?

If everyone was healthy, starting offense would be QB- Hanson, RB- Burns, WR- Jiskra, Suda, Demers, and LeClerc (all 6 are seniors). If Hanson goes down, Demers would probably QB. If Burns goes out Lunde (jr.) usually plays RB. And if a WR goes out Lunde or Contreras (soph.) usually sub, but there are a couple others that can play WR as well. Grafton has some depth at the skilled spots, but obviously the starters have more experience.
Even though Grafton runs a 4 wide they do run the ball quite a bit. In addition to Burns, Hanson runs plenty of keepers and draws. And they will hand off to a WR in motion quite a bit as well.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:35 pm

The Spread O wrote:

who do you predict will beat them?
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to AA