9-Man Wrong Class for a few teams in the northeast?

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

9-Man Wrong Class for a few teams in the northeast?

Postby Big Coot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:05 am

Following the NE 9-Man football season has me to believe that there may be a few teams that are in the
wrong class or maybe the scores are because of injuries/key players that have not played. I would
like to hear thoughts from others.
Big Coot
NDPreps Rookie

Re: 9-Man Wrong Class for a few teams in the northeast?

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 am

Big Coot wrote:Following the NE 9-Man football season has me to believe that there may be a few teams that are in the
wrong class or maybe the scores are because of injuries/key players that have not played. I would
like to hear thoughts from others.

There are only a few 9 man teams up there....who ya thinkin??
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Coot » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:09 am

Well it appears there are a few unbeaten teams in the Northeast such as northstar and cavalier just to name a couple, my thought being the scoring differential against solid teams makes my opinion question the classifcation of 11 man vs 9 man.
Big Coot
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indy5 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Big Coot wrote:Well it appears there are a few unbeaten teams in the Northeast such as northstar and cavalier just to name a couple, my thought being the scoring differential against solid teams makes my opinion question the classifcation of 11 man vs 9 man.

North Star is a VERY small school. There's no way they could be anything but 9-man. Cavalier isn't that big of a school and their enrollment is dropping. Their enrollment makes them 9-man so I'm not sure what your saying here.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Big Coot wrote:Well it appears there are a few unbeaten teams in the Northeast such as northstar and cavalier just to name a couple, my thought being the scoring differential against solid teams makes my opinion question the classifcation of 11 man vs 9 man.

North Star is a VERY small school. There's no way they could be anything but 9-man. Cavalier isn't that big of a school and their enrollment is dropping. Their enrollment makes them 9-man so I'm not sure what your saying here.

Just because a small school has athletes doesn't mean that they should have to play up a class. Its all based on enrollment. Really Cavalier's only SOLID team they've played is North Border and they only won that game 20-14. North Star has played only ONE SOLID team (MLS) and they beat them 34-20. That's not a huge scoring differential there either. Some of the school in Regions 2 & 3 are rather small and they don't have the athletes to match up against a school like North Star, MLS, Cavalier or North Border...but you can't tell me that these four schools should be anything other than 9-Man.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:42 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Just because a small school has athletes doesn't mean that they should have to play up a class. Its all based on enrollment. Really Cavalier's only SOLID team they've played is North Border and they only won that game 20-14. North Star has played only ONE SOLID team (MLS) and they beat them 34-20. That's not a huge scoring differential there either. Some of the school in Regions 2 & 3 are rather small and they don't have the athletes to match up against a school like North Star, MLS, Cavalier or North Border...but you can't tell me that these four schools should be anything other than 9-Man.

The lowest class A teams are at 74(Grant Co, Rolla,and Park River), Harvey is at 69 and Velva is at 58 who opped up to A. Cavalier is at 64, North Border is at 61, MLS is at 53, and North Star is at 51. Just some facts for you.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 am

lovwatchingsports wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

The lowest class A teams are at 74(Grant Co, Rolla,and Park River), Harvey is at 69 and Velva is at 58 who opped up to A. Cavalier is at 64, North Border is at 61, MLS is at 53, and North Star is at 51. Just some facts for you.

Kidder County and Linton-HMB also are at 74. The highest 9-Man enrollment is Hillsboro at 72...but they stayed 9-man with Velva and Harvey opting up.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:22 pm

I don't think anyone is in the wrong class. It is done strictly by enrollment with the exception of a few opt-ups.

The ability to compete in any class is in the program. Enrollment does not matter as much as the dedication of the athletes to the program. Granted, the lower your enrollment the tougher it is to compete every year, but look at what Velva and Harvey do year after year.

Cavalier could opt up to 11-man and compete very well this year, as could North Border. However, they chose to stay where their enrollment puts them. That is their choice and no one can fault them for that.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:49 pm

I think Football is the Most traditional Sport in High School sports and this plays a much bigger part than Enrollment...Take Stephen Argyle MN (9-man for years) there are AAA ND schools who would have gotten their lunch fed to them by some of the teams of the past 15 years at S/A.

If you want to have an advantage at football dont move to a School with more Boys....take 5 or 6 of the ones your with now and go to the weight room and see who can lift the most..
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballchicken » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:44 pm

BINGO!!

the above post is spot on -

Lifting = not scared to get hit, not scared to hit, mentally and physically stronger. Also why big wrestling schools are usually good at football
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Coot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:42 pm

winner-within wrote:I think Football is the Most traditional Sport in High School sports and this plays a much bigger part than Enrollment...Take Stephen Argyle MN (9-man for years) there are AAA ND schools who would have gotten their lunch fed to them by some of the teams of the past 15 years at S/A.

If you want to have an advantage at football dont move to a School with more Boys....take 5 or 6 of the ones your with now and go to the weight room and see who can lift the most..

In the northeast football may or may not be the most traditional sport, the central wrestling is much more traditonal in my opinion. Just remember it takes more than 5 players to make a TEAM no matter if its 9 or 11 man. A solid team of 20 will strip the fruit tree of 5 weightlifters..
Big Coot
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am

Big Coot wrote:
winner-within wrote:I think Football is the Most traditional Sport in High School sports and this plays a much bigger part than Enrollment...Take Stephen Argyle MN (9-man for years) there are AAA ND schools who would have gotten their lunch fed to them by some of the teams of the past 15 years at S/A.

In the northeast football may or may not be the most traditional sport, the central wrestling is much more traditonal in my opinion. Just remember it takes more than 5 players to make a TEAM no matter if its 9 or 11 man. A solid team of 20 will strip the fruit tree of 5 weightlifters..

If you don't have 5 or 6 leading the pack, you wont have one in the weight room....get the 5 or six leaders going, and the Fruit tree will blossom....
Theres no such thing as a solid Team of 20 in all of 9-Man football in ND....and the North East is known much more for Basketball....there are a few Towns that take their Football real seriously which actually takes away a little from the Winter sports.
Example, some say wrestling and football go hand in hand.... for some positions I agree...but alot of QB's and running Backs are 8 times outta 10 Basketball player's
what I mean is, more often than not contenders in State Football... Correlate with the same School (team) going far in Basketball...then there are those few schools as a whole who have a Wrestling Program that is unstoppable (thats because of the coach) and they do real well in Football, because of the coach.
Bottom line is Horses are Horses....its now their mentality that turns them into the Kentucky Derby winner....remember "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make em' drink".
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby thewanderer » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:46 pm

winner-within wrote:
Big Coot wrote:

If you don't have 5 or 6 leading the pack, you wont have one in the weight room....get the 5 or six leaders going, and the Fruit tree will blossom....
Theres no such thing as a solid Team of 20 in all of 9-Man football in ND....and the North East is known much more for Basketball....there are a few Towns that take their Football real seriously which actually takes away a little from the Winter sports.
Example, some say wrestling and football go hand in hand.... for some positions I agree...but alot of QB's and running Backs are 8 times outta 10 Basketball player's
what I mean is, more often than not contenders in State Football... Correlate with the same School (team) going far in Basketball...then there are those few schools as a whole who have a Wrestling Program that is unstoppable (thats because of the coach) and they do real well in Football, because of the coach.
Bottom line is Horses are Horses....its now their mentality that turns them into the Kentucky Derby winner....remember "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make em' drink".

Send a boy to college
But you cant make him think
Well Ive been feeling kind of lonely
Like a ship out on the ocean
I need to see a little spoiler locomotion
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Anyone else heard a rumbling of 6 man FB making its way into ND?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:09 pm

I know a lot of people on here had a discussion about it during the last round of the fball plan, but I haven't heard if the NDHSAA is officially considering it.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:14 pm

thewanderer wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Big Coot wrote:

Send a boy to college

It wont be long until your Ship comes in.. :P
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:Anyone else heard a rumbling of 6 man FB making its way into ND?

I would HATE to play this. It would seem more like backyard football than an actual organized real game of football. And the big kids couldn't even really play because everyone is an eligible receiver and you'd have to play man coverage.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby thewanderer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm

winner-within wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Big Coot wrote:

Send a boy to college

It wont be long until your Ship comes in.. :P

My ship has already come in.................i drive a GMC :lol:
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:00 pm

You drive a few of them....Incase one capsizes......... :D ...good luck tonight!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby thewanderer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 am

lol
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Return to Football