Upcoming NFL Draft

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Upcoming NFL Draft

Postby Indy5 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:I thought you knew, My bad...they need to manipulate this draft real gently, they lost a second rounder with the Moss deal...and they need a QB who can go right now...and hopefully not Joe Webb or McNabb.

3rd rounder

Totally agree with this. The Vikings just got nervous when they saw the run of QBs going with Locker at 8(too high. I like him, but he was a mid-late 1st rounder) and Gabbert at 10(Best QB in the draft by far). They thought they have to get him right there if they wanted him although they were misled. I think they were going to pick him in the 2nd round until that run started.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Personally, I was hoping they would make a move for Kevin Kolb after the labor dispute is resolved and take a chance on a Mallet/Dalton/Kaepernick sliding down. These guys that are not as polished but have a lot of upside. I really think in 10 years, this draft will be known for having 4-5 quality QB's drafted and starting in the NFL. Which ones, I don't know. Having Fairley and Amukamara fall down to 12 and then pass on them was tough to watch. Especially with Detroit snapping up Fairley and Prince probably fitting best for their immediate needs. Oh well, one website gave the Vikes an A grade on drafting Ponder and labeled him as the best QB in the draft. Maybe he's right.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:50 pm

I love the Ponder Pick...FSU has a great reputation of putting out NFLers....Where someone goes in the draft hardly means squat, I do know its no way to Gage how successful they will be in the League...who Coached them in College and what program did they come from is huge.... Like Matt Birk said WE all have the tools The difference is Upstairs in the NFL...Meaning whats between the ears.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 pm

winner-within wrote:I love the Ponder Pick...FSU has a great reputation of putting out NFLers....Where someone goes in the draft hardly means squat, I do know its no way to Gage how successful they will be in the League...who Coached them in College and what program did they come from is huge.... Like Matt Birk said WE all have the tools The difference is Upstairs in the NFL...Meaning whats between the ears.

Like who at QB? Only ones i can think of are Heisman winners Chris Weinke and Charlie Ward. Not exactly who you want to be compared to.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
winner-within wrote:I love the Ponder Pick...FSU has a great reputation of putting out NFLers....Where someone goes in the draft hardly means squat, I do know its no way to Gage how successful they will be in the League...who Coached them in College and what program did they come from is huge.... Like Matt Birk said WE all have the tools The difference is Upstairs in the NFL...Meaning whats between the ears.

Like who at QB? Only ones i can think of are Heisman winners Chris Weinke and Charlie Ward. Not exactly who you want to be compared to.

I didn't say at QB...whether a Seminole, or a Gator, or a Hurricane, If your your good enough to play in the peninsula....YOUR GOOD! and your chances of playing PRO increase significantly, just because of the Programs.

What college teams prduce the most professional football players?

College teams producing NFL players: Miami - 55,Georgia - 54,LSU - 50,Michigan - 50,Ohio State - 47,Florida - 43,USC - 42,FSU - 42

....would you like to argue that??
Last edited by winner-within on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:31 pm

i do think Ponder going at 12 was too early. couldve got him in the second round. ya ponder isnt that athletic but neither is peyton manning or tom brady so who cares i think if you're smart you can be a good player especially at QB. as for the vikes second round pick, OMG TE REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!? just stupid. any other thoughts on this decision?
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Ponder is the worst 1st round pick the vikings have made since 2005 when they took Troy Williamson and erasmus james.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 pm

bison football73 wrote:i do think Ponder going at 12 was too early. couldve got him in the second round. ya ponder isnt that athletic but neither is peyton manning or tom brady so who cares i think if you're smart you can be a good player especially at QB. as for the vikes second round pick, OMG TE REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!? just stupid. any other thoughts on this decision?

His Dad Say's he's (Ponder) extremely Athletic, hard nosed, (plays well injured)...working on second MBA (has a Brain)...fiercely accurate (already sounds a little better than Culpepper..Lol!)...I'd rather have Frazier picking that Childress..JMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm a Canes fan, so I've watched them play against Ponder his whole career. He isn't too good of a QB. I just heard the other day about how smart he is. Got his bachelor's degree in 2 and a half years. I just don't think he was even a really good college QB. A pretty good one, but not that good of one. Never even won a post season award. To be fair, he was having a good junior season before he got hurt and probably would have been all-confernce, but still I don't feel he's a first or really even second round talent.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:41 pm

ndfan wrote:Ponder is the worst 1st round pick the vikings have made since 2005 when they took Troy Williamson and erasmus james.

Without looking it up I'm pretty sure James got picked in '99. The same class as Culpepper and Kleinsasser.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun May 01, 2011 1:42 am

Flip wrote:
ndfan wrote:Ponder is the worst 1st round pick the vikings have made since 2005 when they took Troy Williamson and erasmus james.

Without looking it up I'm pretty sure James got picked in '99. The same class as Culpepper and Kleinsasser.

Erasmus James (born November 4, 1982 in Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings 18th overall in the 2005 NFL Draft.

Dimitrius Underwood is the bust DE that was drafted in first round with Culpepper and kleinssaser.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun May 01, 2011 2:16 am

ndfan wrote:Erasmus James (born November 4, 1982 in Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings 18th overall in the 2005 NFL Draft.

Dimitrius Underwood is the bust DE that was drafted in first round with Culpepper and kleinssaser.

I stand corrected. Whatever happened to him (james)? I don't even remember him playing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:01 am

Flip wrote:
ndfan wrote:Erasmus James (born November 4, 1982 in Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings 18th overall in the 2005 NFL Draft.

I stand corrected. Whatever happened to him (james)? I don't even remember him playing.

Minnesota VikingsJames was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings 18th overall in the 2005 NFL Draft. During his rookie year he compiled 28 total tackles and four sacks. James missed most of the 2006 and 2007 seasons with injuries. The Vikings made their intentions clear to waive James on May 23, 2008, but later rescinded the waiver after the Washington Redskins offered a conditional 2009 seventh-round draft choice. He finished his injury-plagued career with the Vikings with a disappointing 37 tackles, and 5 sacks.

Washington RedskinsOn May 27, 2008, the Vikings agreed to trade James to the Washington Redskins for a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. He appeared in five games for the Redskins in 2008 but did not record any statistics and was eventually waived on December 9, 2008.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bballfan7 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 pm

winner-within wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

I didn't say at QB...whether a Seminole, or a Gator, or a Hurricane, If your your good enough to play in the peninsula....YOUR GOOD! and your chances of playing PRO increase significantly, just because of the Programs.

What college teams prduce the most professional football players?

College teams producing NFL players: Miami - 55,Georgia - 54,LSU - 50,Michigan - 50,Ohio State - 47,Florida - 43,USC - 42,FSU - 42

....would you like to argue that??

I have yet to argue that florida schools put out good players. Miami had a first round draft pick how many straight years. What I am saying is how many productive qbs come from florida state. Ponder might be the guy but saying hes going to be a good pro just because he played qb at florida state makes no sense when they havent had productive qbs to come out of there yet. they have 42 players in the nfl now, how many are starting qbs? I think Ponder will be a good player but the pick at 12 is a stretch, especially when your o-line is terrible and hes gonna get pounded.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm

bison football73 wrote:i do think Ponder going at 12 was too early. couldve got him in the second round. ya ponder isnt that athletic but neither is peyton manning or tom brady so who cares i think if you're smart you can be a good player especially at QB. as for the vikes second round pick, OMG TE REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!? just stupid. any other thoughts on this decision?

You are probably correct that 12 was too early, but there is no way he would have been there in the second round. All the 2nd tier QB's were off the board except for Mallet when the Vikes picked in the second round. Many had Ponder slated as one of the top 4 QB's so I really don't think he would have been there.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 pm

I still think that we will see that Frazier will have the eye for a true Pro...Not an eye for Talent but an eye and the sense it takes to pick a pro Football player...Vikings have never had that....Between The wilf boys and The Coach this team will become a contender....and I believe Ponder will be part of that.

I'm wondering what college produces just QB's as Draft picks...College is a completely different animal at the QB position and Florida State ponds the ball on the ground and is known for big Defense....they just happen to have a QB whos Dad played Defense there otherwise he would have been at Georgia Tech....Bottom line is he Played for one of the best Football programs in the Nation regardless of Position.....in other words he still learns alot about the Game, which gives him a true head start in the Pros
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:56 pm

winner-within wrote:I still think that we will see that Frazier will have the eye for a true Pro...Not an eye for Talent but an eye and the sense it takes to pick a pro Football player...Vikings have never had that....Between The wilf boys and The Coach this team will become a contender....and I believe Ponder will be part of that.

I'm wondering what college produces just QB's as Draft picks...College is a completely different animal at the QB position and Florida State ponds the ball on the ground and is known for big Defense....they just happen to have a QB whos Dad played Defense there otherwise he would have been at Georgia Tech....Bottom line is he Played for one of the best Football programs in the Nation regardless of Position.....in other words he still learns alot about the Game, which gives him a true head start in the Pros

Florida State runs a more pro style offense then a lot of their conference, and country for that matter. And no, he would not have went to Georgia Tech ever because he's, for the most part, a pocket QB and Georgia Tech runs the flexbone.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue May 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Like my brother say's "never slam your favorite team" Vikings are my Favorite Football team and I am in full support of them, wasn't easy to do with Tice, Childress...but I did it....we have alot of guru's on here about football there's a few with Guru right in their User ID...it would be so much fun having them analyze the draft then go to work selecting picks...I'm going to stay optimistic of Ponder, if he dont make it, he don't make it...dont know till you get the chance.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:i agree that they should take the best DL or OL and then get a QB second round maybe jake locker if he is there of ryan mallet or blaine Gabbert if they r there. or even trading up a couple spots to get those guys

Another good QB option would be the Nevada QB. He has a cannon and pretty good accuracy.

I honestly don't think that would be that good of a pick. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't see him as an NFL QB.5 I also don't think Newton will be that great of a player. He's too much of a perfect fit in the spread to be a star true QB. He could be useful for sure, but I wouldn't pick him in the top 25.

Still feeling the same way? He's looking like a true #1 let alone #26.... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 pm

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:i agree that they should take the best DL or OL and then get a QB second round maybe jake locker if he is there of ryan mallet or blaine Gabbert if they r there. or even trading up a couple spots to get those guys

Another good QB option would be the Nevada QB. He has a cannon and pretty good accuracy.

I honestly don't think that would be that good of a pick. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't see him as an NFL QB.5 I also don't think Newton will be that great of a player. He's too much of a perfect fit in the spread to be a star true QB. He could be useful for sure, but I wouldn't pick him in the top 25.

Still feeling the same way? He's looking like a true #1 let alone #26.... :)

I do still feel that way. He's been better than I thought, but I still don't think he'll be a true star player. He was a "star" before the season started because of the media. I'm not totally convinced yet. It's been 2 games...
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 pm

I respect that, although I think you are way off....there is a new style of QB coming to the NFL and he is it.
I am not referring to Race, I am referring to Capability's and who can get the Job done at 6'5", 250 and even bigger and taller....
If you haven't noticed there have been a couple of enhancements to The Format of the game in reference to the Picture and sound...Some times you can hear the Center Calling out the D and the Slow mo has been enhanced.
With this said I have seen even Tom Brady Having to Jump up to look down field, come back down and then throw his pass...
we have no I deal how hard it is to play the position but this helps understand how easy it would be to screw it up....The New NFL QB will be taller and Bigger he will be real quick considering his size, he will Pocket Pass he will play action and he will run when needed....and eventually there will be so many of this type coming outa college that each team will pick and choose....its the most needed position as we speak, simply because they have been getting KO'ed on a weekly and season basis.
So Woodson picked him off....they led alot of the Game against the defending Superbowl Champs.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:18 am

Once teams start getting more film on this guy they will be able to put a better game plan against this kid. If he is putting 300-400 yards a game and keeping his game in games around week 7 & 8 then I will say the kid will be a star.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:06 pm

winner-within wrote:So Woodson picked him off....they led alot of the Game against the defending Superbowl Champs.

Not trying to nitpick too much, but it's not like that was the only pick of the game. He threw two more as well. Something he'll need to not do.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:So Woodson picked him off....they led alot of the Game against the defending Superbowl Champs.

Not trying to nitpick too much, but it's not like that was the only pick of the game. He threw two more as well. Something he'll need to not do.

I know but they were all woodson???
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 pm

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I know but they were all woodson???

Woodson had 2 int's in that game, i believe he had a fumble recovery also.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things