NCAA Conferences

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NCAA Conferences

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 am

What does everyone think of the mess with the Big 12, Big 10, and the Pac 10?? heck, even the SEC and the ACC are getting into it. Sounds like the Big 12 is done. Will Mizzou end up in the big 10 with nebraska, or will ND, Rutgers, or Maryland? Or do they all end up there? Where does that leave Kansas, Kstate, Iowa St, and Baylor? Do the TX schools go to the Pac 10 or the SEC? What a mess....
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: NCAA Conferences

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:06 am

ndlionsfan wrote:What does everyone think of the mess with the Big 12, Big 10, and the Pac 10?? heck, even the SEC and the ACC are getting into it. Sounds like the Big 12 is done. Will Mizzou end up in the big 10 with nebraska, or will ND, Rutgers, or Maryland? Or do they all end up there? Where does that leave Kansas, Kstate, Iowa St, and Baylor? Do the TX schools go to the Pac 10 or the SEC? What a mess....

yes, quite the shake up...I heard that the Texas schools could end up Pac 10 also....... we will know a lot more by the end of next week
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:23 am

ndlionsfan wrote:What does everyone think of the mess with the Big 12, Big 10, and the Pac 10?? heck, even the SEC and the ACC are getting into it. Sounds like the Big 12 is done. Will Mizzou end up in the big 10 with nebraska, or will ND, Rutgers, or Maryland? Or do they all end up there? Where does that leave Kansas, Kstate, Iowa St, and Baylor? Do the TX schools go to the Pac 10 or the SEC? What a mess....

I think the Big 10 is done with adding teams. They'll stay with 12. Pac-10 probably ends up with 16. As far as the Big 12 teams not invited to the other conferences I have no idea what happens to them. Maybe some go to the Mountain West or Conference USA. Or possibly start a new conference and try to steal like Utah, BYU, Memphis, etc.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:35 am

With the pac 10 more than likely going to 16 teams, I can't see the Big 10 staying at 12. I think they go to at least 14, especially if they can expand their tv area. I think the MWC could benefit from this and probably gain Kansas, Kstate, and Baylor along with Boise St who they are talking with as well. That might be enough to bump them up to a BCS conference, especially with the loss of teh Big 12. I think we'll see some changes out east as well. The SEC and ACC are going to look to expand, possibly hurting the Big East.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:26 am

ndlionsfan wrote:With the pac 10 more than likely going to 16 teams, I can't see the Big 10 staying at 12. I think they go to at least 14, especially if they can expand their tv area. I think the MWC could benefit from this and probably gain Kansas, Kstate, and Baylor along with Boise St who they are talking with as well. That might be enough to bump them up to a BCS conference, especially with the loss of teh Big 12. I think we'll see some changes out east as well. The SEC and ACC are going to look to expand, possibly hurting the Big East.

The Big East might as well be done for in football. They've been a joke the last couple years. Anybody remember the talk of the Mountain West taking the Big East's place as a BCS conference? I think it should have, but now the Big East could probably keep theirs and we could add the Mountain West if the Big 12 is gone.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:53 am

Reports are that Boise State should be announced as the newest member of the Mountain West today.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 pm

theres 2 things i think good chances of happening. Colorado and Nebraska are both gone, so it all rests on Texas.

If Texas stays:
the Big 12 will remain and go after 2 replacement schools, possibly TCU, Houston, Tulsa, or even Witchita St.

If Texas goes:
they go to the Pac10, the rest of the south (except Baylor) follows. That leaves the Big 12 with Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Mizzou (who wants in the Big 10), and Baylor. The remaining teams would either run to the MWC or as a whole would make a strong push to add 7 schools in a hurry.

I hate how football ruins everything.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Big Ten commissioner called Mizzouri's A.D.(maybe the president. I'm not sure on which administrator) and told them that the Big 10 will be adding Nebraska. He also told them that they didn't really have interest in any other teams from the Big 12. This means Missouri most likely won't be going to the Big 10. So, they'll be in the boat with Kansas, Kansas State,etc.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:14 pm

My guess is if the Big 10 can get ND then they'll pick up Mizzou or Rutgers to round out to 14...if not they'll stay at 12. The more I read on this the more I think the Big 12 will stay in tact and just lose Nebraske and Colorado, but easily replace them with someone from Conf USA or the MWC. I don't see those 5 schools all jumping ship to the PAC 10....don't know why they would want to in the first place
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:48 am

ndlionsfan wrote:My guess is if the Big 10 can get ND then they'll pick up Mizzou or Rutgers to round out to 14...if not they'll stay at 12. The more I read on this the more I think the Big 12 will stay in tact and just lose Nebraske and Colorado, but easily replace them with someone from Conf USA or the MWC. I don't see those 5 schools all jumping ship to the PAC 10....don't know why they would want to in the first place

Yeah I don't know either. I have heard reports though, that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State all want to go to the PAC 10. It's A&M that is holding them up because they're in talks with the SEC.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:38 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:My guess is if the Big 10 can get ND then they'll pick up Mizzou or Rutgers to round out to 14...if not they'll stay at 12. The more I read on this the more I think the Big 12 will stay in tact and just lose Nebraske and Colorado, but easily replace them with someone from Conf USA or the MWC. I don't see those 5 schools all jumping ship to the PAC 10....don't know why they would want to in the first place

i believe the Big 10 commisioner has publicly said they want to be a 12 team conferce. if they were able the land ND they likely wouldnt have offered Nebraska an invite, thus likely keeping the big 12 in tact with losing just Colorado (which not cool because i loved talking some friendly trash with Dufault before the KU games haha). Texas is still the big one...if they go, so does the conference. if they dont, everyone stays. Even though they are big dog in this debate, what Nebraska was going to do was a big factor in what they would be doing.

On a side note, MWC has made contact with Kansas, K-State, and Mizzou. Looks like the school nobody wants is Baylor.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:17 am

Seems to be a worst case scenario for the MW. They don't get to add any big name schools to their conference and they lose their best school, Utah.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Flip wrote:Seems to be a worst case scenario for the MW. They don't get to add any big name schools to their conference and they lose their best school, Utah.

Where is Utah going?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Indy5 wrote:Where is Utah going?

Pac-10 most likely.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Flip wrote:
Indy5 wrote:Where is Utah going?

Pac-10 most likely.

O I haven't heard anything about that. I suppose the PAC 10(11) wants to become a 12 team conference and get a championship game.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:50 am

Now TCU is heading to the Big East. Wonder what Boise St thinks of its move to the MWC now that Utah, BYU, and TCU will be gone after next season. That conference would have had a nice chance at becoming a BCS conference with those 4 schools, now the WAC is probably stronger.

On another note, I think its ridiculous that the Big East and ACC get automatic bids to BCS bowls. The two conferences are very weak and teams like Michigan St and Boise get left out of the money. I don't think any conference should get automatic bids. If they aren't going to go to a playoff system, the top 10-12 teams should get to play in the big bowls regardless of the conference they are in.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:11 pm

The BCS is run by those big conferences, including the Big East and ACC. They aren't going to give away any automatic bids. It's going to take litigation and proof of colusion by the BCS conferences before any of this will change.

Utah had the right idea a couple of years ago. They were going to sue the BCS but now I'm sure they don't care anymore since they are joining the PAC10. It's going to take Boise or someone else to sue the BCS and prove damages to non-automatic conferences before the BCS will be brought down.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Back when the BCS/Bowl Alliance stuff started Miami and VT were powers in the Big East and Florida State was always very good too, but now they are non-contenders in football.

As a Syracuse fan I didn't really like 16 teams in the conference and I hate having 17 now. For football 9 is a good number imo.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Flip wrote:Back when the BCS/Bowl Alliance stuff started Miami and VT were powers in the Big East and Florida State was always very good too, but now they are non-contenders in football.

As a Syracuse fan I didn't really like 16 teams in the conference and I hate having 17 now. For football 9 is a good number imo.

The Big East also offered Villanova to move from FCS to the Big East for football...the Big East is trying to get 10 teams in the conference
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Nova and TCU add a lot to the conference, even tho Nova is currently FCS. Good move for that conference. Maybe Boise should try to get into the BIg 12. Can't see that conference staying with 10 teams for long, there's too much money in having a conference championship game.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

On another note, I think its ridiculous that the Big East and ACC get automatic bids to BCS bowls. The two conferences are very weak and teams like Michigan St and Boise get left out of the money. I don't think any conference should get automatic bids. If they aren't going to go to a playoff system, the top 10-12 teams should get to play in the big bowls regardless of the conference they are in.

The Big East has become ridiculous, but the ACC usually has at least one high quality team to contribute.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:39 pm

What does everyone think of the new talk in conference alignment? Will A&M end up in the SEC? Who else will join them? Florida St? I think the Big 12 will be history, but how big with the PAC get? There's rumors it might even become the PAC-20! I can see it going to at least 16 for sure with Texas, Oklahoma, Okla St, and Tex Tech, but where does that leave the lower schools from the Big 12 going? Or will Texas go independent even? What conference will replace the Big 12 in the BCS?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Iowa State will most likely end up in the Big 10 (or whatever they'll name it).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 pm

I think that it should stay as is. Keep the PAC 12, A&M and maybe Florida State can go to the SEC and the ACC could add UCF. The Big XI should try and get TCU, SMU, and Houston. If TCU stays in the BIg East, they could add Tulsa or Memphis. The Big East should try and get Villanova to make a 10 team conference.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I doubt Iowa St goes to the big 10. They would need to add another team as well and I don't see the big ten expanding again this soon. TCU is a much better fit in the Big 12 than the Big East, but dont' see them making the move right after their planned move to the big east. Yes the Big 12 could add SMU, Houston, Tulsa or Memphis, but would they remain a BCS conference with all the big names gone? The big East already has plans to add Nova. There is also talk of Pitt going to the big 12.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things