PBS on HS football

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

PBS on HS football

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:16 pm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/football-high/

Very good video IMO.

From the website:

Corporate sponsorships, nationally televised games, minute-by-minute coverage on sports websites -- for players, parents and coaches, high school football has never been bigger. But is enough being done to ensure players' safety as the intensity of the sport grows? In Football High, FRONTLINE investigates the new face of high school football.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: PBS on HS football

Postby 14OldSchool » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:55 am

IMO everyone should see this including; parents, coaches, players and fans. It is amazing how large and fast some of these players are now, in our area too, and everyone needs to watch out for each other with regards to these injuries. Thanks for posting the link Flip.
"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Everyday between three and five." - Coach Norman Dale
14OldSchool
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:36 pm

I did not get to see the whole thing on TV last night but I think everyone is going waay over the top in protecting the players but it sure is getting a lot of attention. I am all for player saftey and I have two multisport teenagers playing sports now but at times things get taken too far.
Technique, equipment and coaching have come a long way in 25 years I don't think concussions have increased in the last 10 years they are just doing a better job of recording and recognizing concussions, their symptoms and possible consequences. I would venture to guess that there are a lot less concussions today than 10 or more years ago. All the coaching techniques are all about taking the head out of the play now from youth through the pros.

When I played high school and College ball we thougt it was funny when somebody got their bell rung. We were taught to lead with our head, guys did not who they were or where they were at on game day and still practiced and played the next week, 25 plus years later those guys are not sitting around catching flys and crapping their pants.

I see kids at the skate park every day without helmets, a kid who cracks his head on the concrete and has a headache and dizzy spells never gets his skate board taken away.

I talked with Phil Hanson this summer and he said he is taking part in an NFL study of former players and possible symptoms later in life from years of contact in the NFL. I wonder if the study will find anything conclusive.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:08 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:I did not get to see the whole thing on TV last night...

The whole video is available in the link.

I see kids at the skate park every day without helmets, a kid who cracks his head on the concrete and has a headache and dizzy spells never gets his skate board taken away.

Obviously. If they the NDHSAA sanctions skateboarding I'm pretty sure helmets will be mandatory.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics