Metrodome Goodbye

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Metrodome Goodbye

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:46 am

I have been to quite a few stadiums, and while most are nicer, the Dome really isn't that bad. I've been to a ton of Twins games there and a few Vikes games over the past 20 years and I think the amenities are fine. But now is a new era in stadiums with all the high tech stuff and the different ways to cater to the fan experience, but I think all that can still be accomplished with just a simple remodel. I can see the Twins situation needing an upgrade for a stadium because they play 81 games and who wants to sit inside and watch baseball during the summer. But the Vikes play a whopping 8 games in the Dome with at least half of those being in the snow. I think a major renovation at the Dome could suit the Vikes just fine.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:35 am

The Metrodome has cramped seats, horrible bathroom facilities, and tiny corridors. In addition, the Vikings have a very bad lease deal which guarantees they have the lowest revenue of any team in the NFL. The metropolitan sports commission owns the building and controls all revenues generated from game day sales such as concessions, parking, and all advertising. The Vikings also must pay the MSC about 10% of their ticket sales for the "privilege" to play in the dome. Red McCombs refused to spend more than his revenue to run the team, and you can see what kind of product they turned out. Ultimately it lead him to sell the team, because of the stadium. Wilf on the other hand dips into his own pocket to fund the team to make it competitive. He has offered to contribute about $420 million to the building of a new stadium, which is more than what Jerry Jones was expecting to pay for his part of Cowboys stadium. Cost overruns on Cowboys stadium ultimately pushed that number much higher.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed May 09, 2012 12:58 pm

See it has been a bit slow on the site, so thought I would bring this topic back to the top. What is everyone's opinion on the current situation with the stadium issue? Has cleared a few hurdles recently. Was wondering, with the state of Minnesota's economy, is this a good thing for them?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed May 09, 2012 3:38 pm

If I lived in MN, I'd be mad that tax money was going to a project like this with all the cuts to the local goverments from the state.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu May 10, 2012 12:18 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:If I lived in MN, I'd be mad that tax money was going to a project like this with all the cuts to the local goverments from the state.

I agree.

Am a big Vikings fan, but unfortunately I think it is wrong. What makes me mad about the situation is they should have had the forethought to build a dual stadium when the Twins built theirs. It was mentioned many times. It comes down to one thing, greed. They all want their own piece of the pie on someone else's dollar. Would have loved to see it in Arden Hills, but there are so many inner politics going on with a lot of weight being thrown around by the downtown boys.

So here's a question. What if ND would have stepped in and put together a package to finance it? Just for sake of discussion. With our strong economy and surplus right now, say we step in with the Arden Hills crew and look at it as a long term investment. Do you think anything like that could have ever happened? The Min-Dak Vikings. Has a nice ring to it.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu May 10, 2012 1:27 pm

In the past six years, the state and the people have had to pay for 3 new stadiums. You'd think they could have all worked together a bit more and figured out a way to share TCF and the new Viking stadium.

Target field cost a total of $522 mil with $392 mil covered from a sales tax increase in Hennepin Co and the rest by the Twins. Not so bad of a deal when you consider that everyone who visits the cities are helping pay for it and not directly by the taxpayers in the state. Also, with 81 games there each year it does bring in more fans and tourism which means more $$$.

TCF costs $288.5 mil, with the university needing to fund $111 mil through donations and revenue. $35 mil came from TCF Bank, with the rest all falling on the state and its taxpayers.

The new Vikes stadium is going to run $947 mil with $348 mil coming directly from the state taxpayers. $150 mil more from a hospitality tax.

Honestly, why do the Vikes new a billion dollar stadium? It's one thing to have the Yanks and the Cowboys build one, but with their name recognition and merchandise sales it can be covered a lot easier. Also, with how cheap they built TCF stadium you have to wonder how nice that could have been adding another $500 mil from the Vikes and sharing it during their seasons.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm curious why it is is so expensive too. Lucas Oil Stadium could be built today for $777 million.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri May 11, 2012 11:31 am

Flip wrote:I'm curious why it is is so expensive too. Lucas Oil Stadium could be built today for $777 million.

Question. Have they decided whether or not it will have a retractable roof? For the price they are projecting it seems it would. However, listening to Kfan this morning it sounded as if it has not been determined.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Fri May 11, 2012 12:38 pm

To be determined. Wilfs have to pony up if they want a retractable roof.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Lucas Oil Stadium has a retractable roof the new Vikings stadium won't have one, yet it still cost $200m more? Makes no sense to me why this thing is so much more expensive.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed May 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Flip wrote:Lucas Oil Stadium has a retractable roof the new Vikings stadium won't have one, yet it still cost $200m more? Makes no sense to me why this thing is so much more expensive.

From what I have been hearing, it has a lot to do with Minnesota labor costs, winters and material costs.

Have had a chance to talk to some Minneapolis residents and they stated nobody wanted it downtown. It makes you wonder how powerful and influential the Minneapolis Sports Commission is. They stated the Dome was paid for in 3 years after it opened. They had 3 teams in there generating revenue. Neither the Twins or the Vikings felt they were making enough money. So who was and where did it go? Is there going to be a new lease deal drawn up? If so, shouldn't the taxpayers of Minnesota get to see the details? I have heard that the Sports Commission will not open its books. That would be enough to make you wonder about this entire deal.
What if St. Cloud would have went after this? Located outside of the city about an hour (many big venues do this). They could have given them all the land they would have needed. Could have incorporated all types of parking for even more revenue. Imagine having large parking spots closer to the dome for tailgating. Could have incorporated a camp ground. Maybe a large waterpark for summer revenue. Move the training camp to St. Cloud. Talk to Target and Walmart and have super centers located on either side. Have it opened year round for fans to visit. The opportunities are endless. Locating it downtown takes away so many things.
Sorry about the rant. Just seems they shelved this entire process until the 12th hour and then settled for something far less then ideal.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed May 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Wow, that definitely some interesting information. Does make you wonder where all the money was going to.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm

What if St. Cloud would have went after this? Located outside of the city about an hour (many big venues do this).

Serious question: who does this?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Flip wrote:
What if St. Cloud would have went after this? Located outside of the city about an hour (many big venues do this).

I was under the impression that the Cowboys stadium was out of the city a little bit. And while I don't know Detroit particularly well the Pistons play in the palace of Auburn Hills. Doesn't sound like downtown Detroit to me. The NEW YORK Jets and Giants play in New Jersey. These are just a few examples that popped in my head.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed May 16, 2012 2:11 pm

I think the Cardinals new stadium is quite a ways out of Phoenix. One of the proposed new sites in LA is a long way from downtown.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Pretty sure the Cowboys play in Irving. The Cowboys and Patriots were the teams that came to my mind. But those teams are still in the same metro area as a major city. St. Cloud clearly is not. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be downtown so everything isn't so congested.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 16, 2012 2:20 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I think the Cardinals new stadium is quite a ways out of Phoenix. One of the proposed new sites in LA is a long way from downtown.

Mapquest says 9 miles from Phoenix.
All of these other stadiums that aren't downtown are at least in a suburb of a major city.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed May 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Flip wrote:

Honestly, was being a bit selfish when I brought up St. Cloud as it brings the Vikes closer to ND. Also, was not just targeting the NFL as big venue. Nascar would be a prime example of bringing in many more people on a weekly basis to 1 location away from major metropolitan areas. Of course that is definitely not comparing apples to apples, but it proves it works. In all reality, it would probably have to stay within 15 miles of the cities, but was just putting out some ideas of how they could have made it so much better from a fan's perspective and ways to generate much more revenue while making it user friendly.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things