Vikings QB

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Vikings QB

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Just a few questions for you Vikings fans, is McNabb the answer at quaterback? Will getting McNabb help them resign Sidney Rice? I am a casual Vikings fan at best, because I live in the region and they are on TV every week, talked about on every radio show, etc... So I am looking for the opinions of those who really follow the Vikings and know more about them than I do.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Vikings QB

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm not a Vikings fan, but McNabb is a big upgrade from their QB fiasco last season. He is much better than the rap he got last year. I remember after week 6 when everyone was bragging up McNabb because the Skins were sitting at 4-2 which is no where near where they should have been. Then they went on a big losing skid and it was all blamed on McNabb. I think Shanahan didn't like him from the start and he was just a scapegoat for the poor season. He should help the Vikes win a few more games.

Now on the other hand, I still don't understand why the Vikes drafted Ponder at #12. Even if they felt he was their QB of the future (which he very well could be) he still would have been available with their 3rd round pick and they could have used that 1st round pick on someone that could have helped the team right away.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Investments turned lucrative, is an investors dream.... investing in a veteran QB to lead Ponder is as big or bigger as the initial investment.

In other words "bring him in" Frazier will take care of him...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Now on the other hand, I still don't understand why the Vikes drafted Ponder at #12. Even if they felt he was their QB of the future (which he very well could be) he still would have been available with their 3rd round pick and they could have used that 1st round pick on someone that could have helped the team right away.

While I initially agreed with you, after seeing the way QBs flew off the board in this draft, I don't think he would have even lasted til their 2nd round pick. I think coming out of college, he's 3rd round talent with potential because he's so smart, but this year everyone was trying to get a QB right away. Maybe it was because of the lockout. I don't know, but it was a bit ridiculous this year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Indy5 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Now on the other hand, I still don't understand why the Vikes drafted Ponder at #12. Even if they felt he was their QB of the future (which he very well could be) he still would have been available with their 3rd round pick and they could have used that 1st round pick on someone that could have helped the team right away.

While I initially agreed with you, after seeing the way QBs flew off the board in this draft, I don't think he would have even lasted til their 2nd round pick. I think coming out of college, he's 3rd round talent with potential because he's so smart, but this year everyone was trying to get a QB right away. Maybe it was because of the lockout. I don't know, but it was a bit ridiculous this year.

Dalton and Kapernick would have still been picked by their current teams in the 2nd round before the Vikes selected again. After those two, no QB was taken again until the Pats traded up for the Vikes 3rd round pick to get Mallet, so Ponder would have still been there. They might have even been able to get him in round 4.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:32 pm

He may have been 3rd round talent, but there is no way he is there in the 3rd round. QBs always get taken early. Look at Cam Newton.

The Vikings aren't planning on having McNabb for 5 years, he's just a stop-gap until they think Ponder is ready. The Vikings fans in the other forum I read don't like it because they think he is too whiny. Me, being a Syracuse fan I like it. I've always been a Donovan McNabb fan.

I hope this doesn't hurt their chances of signing Rice.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

There is no way Ponder would have been there for the Vikes 2nd round pick. The only QB of the top 6 mentioned, left at the 12th pick in the 2nd round, was Mallet. And he was looked at as having a lot of potential for 3 to 4 years down the road. Was Ponder taken too high? I think so. But no way would he have been there in round 2.
At first, I didn't like the idea of McNabb coming to the Vikes. But with the shortened preseason and Ponder not getting to digest the playbook with the coaches, it probably isn't a bad idea. Personally, I don't think McNabb has real great workout habits. I think Flip is right and he will be serviceable as a stop gap until Ponder is ready. Not a lot of veteran QB's out there would have come to the Vikes knowing they are only going to be playing until the young guy is ready.
Also think that it will probably help keep Rice by having a veteran to throw the ball in the beginning of the season. I question McNabb's accuracy. But he has been around for a while, should be able to read defenses and hopefully has the leadership skills to help out the younger QB's. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:00 am

Flip wrote:He may have been 3rd round talent, but there is no way he is there in the 3rd round. QBs always get taken early. Look at Cam Newton.

Remember where Brady was selected? Round 6

Anyway, Rice is off to Seattle
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
Flip wrote:He may have been 3rd round talent, but there is no way he is there in the 3rd round. QBs always get taken early. Look at Cam Newton.

Remember where Brady was selected? Round 6

Anyway, Rice is off to Seattle

What will they do now? Will they stay pat with Harvin, Camarillo, etc. and maybe go with a 2 tight end set at times? Or do they go after someone like Malcom Floyd?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 am

classB4ever wrote:At first, I didn't like the idea of McNabb coming to the Vikes. But with the shortened preseason and Ponder not getting to digest the playbook with the coaches, it probably isn't a bad idea. Personally, I don't think McNabb has real great workout habits. I think Flip is right and he will be serviceable as a stop gap until Ponder is ready. Not a lot of veteran QB's out there would have come to the Vikes knowing they are only going to be playing until the young guy is ready.

I don't believe this because I can remember commentators saying he could bench 400 lbs and also the year he played with Michael Vick, Vick said he learned a lot on how to prepare from McNabb and that he was pretty lazy in Atlanta.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Flip wrote:
classB4ever wrote:At first, I didn't like the idea of McNabb coming to the Vikes. But with the shortened preseason and Ponder not getting to digest the playbook with the coaches, it probably isn't a bad idea. Personally, I don't think McNabb has real great workout habits. I think Flip is right and he will be serviceable as a stop gap until Ponder is ready. Not a lot of veteran QB's out there would have come to the Vikes knowing they are only going to be playing until the young guy is ready.

I don't believe this because I can remember commentators saying he could bench 400 lbs and also the year he played with Michael Vick, Vick said he learned a lot on how to prepare from McNabb and that he was pretty lazy in Atlanta.

Fair enough. Benching 400 lbs and being in cardio shape are 2 different things. Also, work ethic also translates into classroom time digesting the offense. If you get benched for Rex Grossman over not understanding a 2 minute offense when you have been in the league for as long as him, something is wrong.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 pm

I think that the benching of McNabb in Washington had more to do with the egos of both Shanahans and the idea that they were going to show everyone who was in charge plus the fact that they knew they wern't going to the playoffs so that made McNabb the scapegoat instead of people blaming Shanahan and his kid. (Shanahan hasn't done much for being an "offensive genius" since John Elway retired)

I see Rice signed with Seattle, he must have more faith in Tavaris Jackson than most people do! (Of course the money may have had something to do with it too!)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bison football73 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:02 pm

CHRISTIAN PONDER STARTING QB. Kevin Seifert had a story on ESPN.com that had a good point, the Vikings should have tried signing Tyler Thigpen good reliable backup instead of doing the typical Viking thing and trade for an out of his prime QB. shouldve signed tyler thigpen let Ponder start Week 1 if he completely crashes and burns Thigpen can come in. I hope thats what they have planned for Mcnabb. Thigpen just would have been a cheaper alternative.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I think that the benching of McNabb in Washington had more to do with the egos of both Shanahans and the idea that they were going to show everyone who was in charge plus the fact that they knew they wern't going to the playoffs so that made McNabb the scapegoat instead of people blaming Shanahan and his kid. (Shanahan hasn't done much for being an "offensive genius" since John Elway retired)

Easy to be an offensive genius with Elway, Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Smith.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:36 am

Jeez I wish Favre could come back up from the swamps.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:48 pm

mcnabb will be a good fit for the next few seasons to help get ponder ready. mcnabb is a good QB, he can be inconsistent at times, but can also look great. i think playing in washington was the exception for him. the redskins were abysmal and have no offense
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Heard that Charles Johnson (not sure if this is right), offensive lineman from Indy was signed. Anybody have any updates on this?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 pm

classB4ever wrote:Heard that Charles Johnson (not sure if this is right), offensive lineman from Indy was signed. Anybody have any updates on this?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 24158.html

MANKATO -- The moves just keep on coming.

The Vikings signed free agent offensive tackle Charlie Johnson this morning. Johnson, who played college football at Oklahoma State, was a sixth-round pick by Indianapolis in 2006.

The 27-year-old has played in 73 career games, starting 54 of those. Johnson, 6-4, 305 pounds, appeared in 10 playoff games with the Colts.

He had played left tackle for the Colts -- yes, that is Bryant McKinnie's position -- but reportedly could have been moved to guard had he stayed in Indianapolis.

Johnson started 15 games at left tackle last season and 12 in 2009. In 2008, he started 12 games at left guard and four at left tackle. It will be interesting to see where the Vikings have him working on an offensive line that has some question marks. (Among them is that right guard Anthony Herrera is expected to open camp on the physically unable to perform list.)

The Vikings roster is now at 90 players, the maximum for the opening of training camp.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Flip wrote:
classB4ever wrote:Heard that Charles Johnson (not sure if this is right), offensive lineman from Indy was signed. Anybody have any updates on this?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 24158.html

MANKATO -- The moves just keep on coming.

The Vikings signed free agent offensive tackle Charlie Johnson this morning. Johnson, who played college football at Oklahoma State, was a sixth-round pick by Indianapolis in 2006.

The 27-year-old has played in 73 career games, starting 54 of those. Johnson, 6-4, 305 pounds, appeared in 10 playoff games with the Colts.

He had played left tackle for the Colts -- yes, that is Bryant McKinnie's position -- but reportedly could have been moved to guard had he stayed in Indianapolis.

Johnson started 15 games at left tackle last season and 12 in 2009. In 2008, he started 12 games at left guard and four at left tackle. It will be interesting to see where the Vikings have him working on an offensive line that has some question marks. (Among them is that right guard Anthony Herrera is expected to open camp on the physically unable to perform list.)

The Vikings roster is now at 90 players, the maximum for the opening of training camp.

McKinnie was released.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby bison football73 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 pm

replacement charles johnson didnt look too good at practice today either
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby AC-DC » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:01 pm

McNabb may have had a better week 2 than 1, but if they can't pull out a W against Detroit, I'd say take the lumps and give Ponder the reps.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm

AC-DC wrote:McNabb may have had a better week 2 than 1, but if they can't pull out a W against Detroit, I'd say take the lumps and give Ponder the reps.

more importantly Peterson played much better also from week 1 to 2....They'll Beat Detroit at Home they always do!.....Green bay will win the division and Hopefully the Vikes sneak in as a WCard
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 pm

winner-within wrote: Hopefully the Vikes sneak in as a WCard

That is a LONG shot.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby AC-DC » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 pm

winner-within wrote:
AC-DC wrote:McNabb may have had a better week 2 than 1, but if they can't pull out a W against Detroit, I'd say take the lumps and give Ponder the reps.

more importantly Peterson played much better also from week 1 to 2....They'll Beat Detroit at Home they always do!.....Green bay will win the division and Hopefully the Vikes sneak in as a WCard

No doubt AP had a good game, but Ponder could hand him the ball just the same. McNabb just couldn't hit a big pass when it was needed, even Ponder could do that! I hope I'm wrong and McNabb gives us something to cheer about.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:41 pm

winner-within wrote:more importantly Peterson played much better also from week 1 to 2....They'll Beat Detroit at Home they always do!.....Green bay will win the division and Hopefully the Vikes sneak in as a WCard

I don't see how Peterson played better in week 2 than 1. He played well in both games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things