Griggs Barnes County

The teams in Class AA.

Griggs Barnes County

Postby SUFan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Can they compete? thoughts and opinions please.
SUFan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Griggs Barnes County

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:58 pm

It's a crying shame that this co-op was ever allowed to happen.

but yes they can compete I would pick them no lower than 5th in the east region.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:23 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:It's a crying shame that this co-op was ever allowed to happen.

but yes they can compete I would pick them no lower than 5th in the east region.

Just currious why you think that this co-op should have never been alowed to happen. Is it because distance and the time they have to spend on the road for practice?

There is not much difference between class A and AA. That being said, I don't know how they will do this year. They struggled last year in region 1. I am not sure if I would pick them to be in the top 4 of region 1, if they where still in it this year.

I didn't care for their offence last year, but I did like a couple of their linemen and their quarterback wasn't bad. I think they have their best 3 players back. At least that is how I remember them.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:31 am

Just currious why you think that this co-op should have never been alowed to happen. Is it because distance and the time they have to spend on the road for practice?

YES! and that fact that if you have 127 male students you should be able to field two 9-man teams.

There is not much difference between class A and AA. That being said, I don't know how they will do this year. They struggled last year in region 1. I am not sure if I would pick them to be in the top 4 of region 1, if they where still in it this year.

There is not much difference Between A and AA in the Bottom four of each region but there is a big difference in the top two or three in each region.

I didn't care for their offence last year, I agree! That is the main thing that will keep them out of the playoffs but I did like a couple of their linemen and their quarterback wasn't bad. I think they have their best 3 players back. At least that is how I remember them.

They have a bunch of tough kids with a lot of Varsity experience, if they ran more of a ball control type of offense they would be tough to beat.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:28 pm

d_fense wrote:
GRIDIRON GURU wrote:It's a crying shame that this co-op was ever allowed to happen.

I didn't care for their offence last year, but I did like a couple of their linemen and their quarterback wasn't bad. I think they have their best 3 players back. At least that is how I remember them.

What type of offense did they run?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Some type of spread
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Indy5 wrote:
d_fense wrote:

Their base seemed to be, double twins with a pistol (qb in a short shotgun with a running back straight behind the qb). The "Pistol" seems to be a little bit of a fad thing. Some people seem to get it to work for them.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 pm

d_fense wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
d_fense wrote:

Their base seemed to be, double twins with a pistol (qb in a short shotgun with a running back straight behind the qb). The "Pistol" seems to be a little bit of a fad thing. Some people seem to get it to work for them.

I don't see why this offense is so bad. If they have a pretty good QB it could be hard to stop. Teams in ND aren't very used to defending a spread and some even try and stay in their 53 which can create matchup problems. Takes some speed to execute but it can be effective.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 pm

I didn't say it was a bad offense. I don't really think they had the players to do it justice. There is no question that the quarterback is very important in this offense, but the line is more important than the other skill position players. Often defenses will send more rushers than there are O linemen to block them. You had better have a skilled line to give the qb time and make the defense pay.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 pm

d_fense wrote:I didn't say it was a bad offense. I don't really think they had the players to do it justice. There is no question that the quarterback is very important in this offense, but the line is more important than the other skill position players. Often defenses will send more rushers than there are O linemen to block them. You had better have a skilled line to give the qb time and make the defense pay.

I wasn't directing it towards you, more towards Gridiron Guru.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby SUFan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Head football coach Bill Nelson resigned Monday the 18th
SUFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:18 pm

SUFan wrote:Head football coach Bill Nelson resigned Monday the 18th

Anyone know the reasoning here? This isn't another Oakes deal is it?
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am

Thats weird, I saw him and some of his staff at the NDSU coaching clinic a couple weeks ago.

Too bad for those kids, they have not had any sense of consistency in a coaching staff thier whole high school career.

Any rumblings on who will be his replacement?
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon May 16, 2011 8:19 am

I heard this weekend that Dave Zinke from Rolla took the Barnes/Griggs county Job.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby benelli1 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes, that is correct. The administration announced to the students on Thursday, last week. Zinke met with the players this morning.
benelli1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby witherspoon » Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 am

Zinke a great coach and a better person, he'll do well!
witherspoon
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue May 17, 2011 12:39 pm

witherspoon wrote:Zinke a great coach and a better person, he'll do well!

I agree, great coach! great guy. I wish him well.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:22 pm

who is their QB. Is he back from last year?
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby SUFan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:52 pm

thewanderer wrote:who is their QB. Is he back from last year?

Bill Engle. He'll be a senior this fall
SUFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby thewanderer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 am

He is a good basketball player. I am sure he is quick on the football field as well. does he have any arm strength?
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby SUFan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:31 pm

thewanderer wrote:He is a good basketball player. I am sure he is quick on the football field as well. does he have any arm strength?

from what i've seen he's got decent arm strength. more of a short yardage quarterback but heves a pretty ball
SUFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Fritters78 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:00 pm

[quote="witherspoon"]Zinke a great coach and a better person, he'll do well!
Yes he is a great coach and is great for the kids gana be a tough year but we will adjust.
Fritters78
NDPreps Rookie

Postby MNTwinsFan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:01 pm

I hear Engel has been hurt the last couple games, anyone have any insight?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby SUFan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Broken Shoulder or Collar bone. season ending
SUFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 am

That is too bad. Hope he is ready for hoops as he is a heck of a basketball player too. I actually heard he broke his collarbone, came back, and then broke it again.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Return to AA