Upcoming NFL Draft

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Upcoming NFL Draft

Postby classB4ever » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:48 am

Well, the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings enter the upcoming draft on completely different ends of the spectrum. The experts say the Pack literally have no holes to fill (I say they could use a running back) and the Vikes could use help at perhaps every spot short of running back and punter.
What are the strategies and who are some of the players these teams will be coming away with in the upcoming draft?
Might as well throw in personal opinions on the collective bargaining situation and who does everyone side with: Players vs. Owners.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Upcoming NFL Draft

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:30 am

I hope the Vikings take the best OL or DL available, unless Cam Newton slips.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm

i agree that they should take the best DL or OL and then get a QB second round maybe jake locker if he is there of ryan mallet or blaine Gabbert if they r there. or even trading up a couple spots to get those guys
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm

bison football73 wrote:i agree that they should take the best DL or OL and then get a QB second round maybe jake locker if he is there of ryan mallet or blaine Gabbert if they r there. or even trading up a couple spots to get those guys

Another good QB option would be the Nevada QB. He has a cannon and pretty good accuracy.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby thatguy422 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:51 pm

classB4ever wrote:Well, the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings enter the upcoming draft on completely different ends of the spectrum. The experts say the Pack literally have no holes to fill (I say they could use a running back) and the Vikes could use help at perhaps every spot short of running back and punter.
What are the strategies and who are some of the players these teams will be coming away with in the upcoming draft?
Might as well throw in personal opinions on the collective bargaining situation and who does everyone side with: Players vs. Owners.

I agree with what you're saying about the Packers. I would like to see them draft another running back, although Starks played well during the playoffs. They should realistically be better than last year, with all the players returning from the IR.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bison football73 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:i agree that they should take the best DL or OL and then get a QB second round maybe jake locker if he is there of ryan mallet or blaine Gabbert if they r there. or even trading up a couple spots to get those guys

Another good QB option would be the Nevada QB. He has a cannon and pretty good accuracy.

ya i forgot about kapernick hes pretty dang fast too
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Gabbert is the number 1 QB on most boards so he will not be there in the 2nd round.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I honestly don't think that would be that good of a pick. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't see him as an NFL QB. I also don't think Newton will be that great of a player. He's too much of a perfect fit in the spread to be a star true QB. He could be useful for sure, but I wouldn't pick him in the top 25.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:44 pm

He'll be a flat out stud in the NFL with the way the game is changing and he will be gone before the 5th pick.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 pm

First of all, I don't think the Pack can go wrong with any pick. You have to give credit where credit is due, and Thompson has done a good job building and sustaining that program.
As for the Vikes, I believe they need to get a quarterback in the first 2 rounds. I would like to see them go after Ryan Mallet of Arkansas. Big kid (6'-6"), 240-250 lbs, big arm. Contrary to what some say, he is a very good pocket QB. Did have some interceptions last year, but has been improving his accuracy over the years and holds the record in Arkansas for completed passes without an interception. If not mistaken broke 15 or 16 records while at Arkansas. I really think this kid could be the real deal in the pros and would love to see the Vikes get him. I think he would have an opportunity to be better then Big Ben. Maybe they could gamble and get him in the second, but I truly believe someone will move up and take him 15 or sooner.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:59 am

With the 12th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings have -------------------------- traded their pick to the New England Patriots for the 28th pick in the 1st round and the 10th pick in the 3rd round.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 am

classB4ever wrote:With the 12th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings have -------------------------- traded their pick to the New England Patriots for the 28th pick in the 1st round and the 10th pick in the 3rd round.

I thought they would trade i think they are after a Veteran QB
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 am

winner-within wrote:
classB4ever wrote:With the 12th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings have -------------------------- traded their pick to the New England Patriots for the 28th pick in the 1st round and the 10th pick in the 3rd round.

I haven't seen anything to confirm this yet though.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby classB4ever » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:57 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I was just throwing out a prediction. I don't think the guys they have been looking at will be there at 12, so a trade is very possible.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:11 pm

classB4ever wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I was just throwing out a prediction. I don't think the guys they have been looking at will be there at 12, so a trade is very possible.

I thought you knew, My bad...they need to manipulate this draft real gently, they lost a second rounder with the Moss deal...and they need a QB who can go right now...and hopefully not Joe Webb or McNabb.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:16 pm

And the Vikes take Christian Ponder. What do you guys all think?
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:36 pm

winner-within wrote:I thought you knew, My bad...they need to manipulate this draft real gently, they lost a second rounder with the Moss deal...and they need a QB who can go right now...and hopefully not Joe Webb or McNabb.

3rd rounder
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:37 pm

gobison#6 wrote:And the Vikes take Christian Ponder. What do you guys all think?

We are once again the laughing stock of the NFL draft.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 pm

I thought that he was going to be picked in the middle of the second round, maybe late in the first round. It is just to high to take him at number 12 is to high. Jake Locker was also picked to high IMO.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan7 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 am

gobison#6 wrote:And the Vikes take Christian Ponder. What do you guys all think?

I guess I didn't understand it with fairley still there and as old as their interior lineman are getting that made sense to me when he fell that far. I think they could have gotten ponder in the second round somewhere even if they had to trade up to do it.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:38 am

bballfan7 wrote:

I guess I didn't understand it with fairley still there and as old as their interior lineman are getting that made sense to me when he fell that far. I think they could have gotten ponder in the second round somewhere even if they had to trade up to do it.

Ponder will be just like Tavaris...a dud! There is still a very good QB still on the boards for the 2nd Round...probably the biggest 'sleeper' pick left.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:53 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Ponder will be just like Tavaris...a dud! There is still a very good QB still on the boards for the 2nd Round...probably the biggest 'sleeper' pick left.

I'm not saying Ponder is going to be good, but he and TJack are complete opposites. TJack is a great athlete, but as dumb as a sack of hammers, Ponder isn't a great athlete, but supposed to be a high IQ type guy.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:29 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

Ponder will be just like Tavaris...a dud! There is still a very good QB still on the boards for the 2nd Round...probably the biggest 'sleeper' pick left.

Im gonna ramble a bit here...

I dont think Ponder will be a complete dud. I dont think he will be all that great but he should do a decent job. If he struggles and doesnt pan out peoeple will say hes a dud because of how high he went, personally i think he would have been a good 3rd round pick, but he probably would have been taken off the board sometime mid to late 2nd round just because there are a lot of teams looking for qb. The reason everyone thinks T-Jack is a bust is because the Vikings traded up so high to get him in the second round, had he gone late 3rd round-mid 4th round, no one would have expected him to be that good and when he turned out to be nothing no one would have thought twice about it. Also i thought they might go with Solder out of Colorado or Costanzo out of BC, young QB doesnt do much good when hes going to get hit constantly and McKinnie isnt good. Anyways...who is your sleeper pick Kappernick, or Dalton?
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:41 am

bballfan7 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

I dont think Ponder will be a complete dud. I dont think he will be all that great but he should do a decent job. If he struggles and doesnt pan out peoeple will say hes a dud because of how high he went, personally i think he would have been a good 3rd round pick, but he probably would have been taken off the board sometime mid to late 2nd round just because there are a lot of teams looking for qb. The reason everyone thinks T-Jack is a bust is because the Vikings traded up so high to get him in the second round, had he gone late 3rd round-mid 4th round, no one would have expected him to be that good and when he turned out to be nothing no one would have thought twice about it. Also i thought they might go with Solder out of Colorado or Costanzo out of BC, young QB doesnt do much good when hes going to get hit constantly and McKinnie isnt good. Anyways...who is your sleeper pick Kappernick, or Dalton?

I was hoping that they would have taken Costanzo from BC with their first round pick...and Kappernick (sp?) is my sleeper...I wanted him as a Viking!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

I was hoping that they would have taken Costanzo from BC with their first round pick...and Kappernick (sp?) is my sleeper...I wanted him as a Viking!

I'm going to say right now Colin Kaepernick won't be that good. I didn't think he was that great in college. He was good but he was more of a spread type COLLEGE QB that played in the pistol. He also did really good as a WAC QB. Not exactly stout competition. Aside from Boise, the rest of the conference is usually a joke.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things