Barnes County North

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Barnes County North

Postby winner-within » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 am

Really happy to hear that the New School, Centrally located, Just may happen.... this would be great for the Kids and all the people involved.... it is exactly what needs to keep happening in the great state of North Dakota.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Barnes County North

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 am

It was shot down...need 60% vote...got 57% vote.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Barns County North

Postby heimer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am

Taxpayers have rejected twice, but some school board members are on the record saying they will "keep shoving it down the voter's throats till it passes." Expect another vote soon.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 am

In reading up on this in articles and letters to the editor, it sounds like people are all for having one school for K-12. But it sounds like they would rather spend the money to remodel and add on to the current North Central school instead of building a brand new school just a few miles down the road. Am I right?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:It was shot down...need 60% vote...got 57% vote.

It will pass...only got 50% last time so its truly gaining ground....rightfully so!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Winner, are you really for anything that benefits any small school, regardless of the implications to taxpayers?

The taxpayers don't agree with your premise, and they actually live there. Unless you reveal where you live, you're out of touch with the issues.

In June, North Dakotans will vote on a measure to eliminate property taxes. God help us if it passes, but if it does, every bond issue like this one will be left holding bills that need to be paid and no revenue to pay them.

The current students need to be under one roof, but the current enrollment decline does not lead one to the conclusion of a new school. Not to mention that 16 teachers and four other staff will lose their jobs, negating the advantages of the extra class time per student that small schools love to brag about.

I agree, it will pass. It's unfortunate that North Dakota law allows a political body to shove vote after vote down the throats of the public, then use scare tactics to get it passed. People have been threatened with the loss of their jobs if they don't vote for passage. You can rest assured that the desire to vote yes, for some, has more to do with self-preservation than with the good of the school. This is the effort that will lead to passage.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:13 am

Is there really enough growth in that area to need a new school, or are they combining into one because there is a decline in population? The legislature is so uncertain right now that I can't imagine any small community committing to a big purchase right now especially w/ the possibility of property taxes being reduced.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:29 am

heimer wrote:Winner, are you really for anything that benefits any small school, regardless of the implications to taxpayers?

The taxpayers don't agree with your premise, and they actually live there. Unless you reveal where you live, you're out of touch with the issues.

In June, North Dakotans will vote on a measure to eliminate property taxes. God help us if it passes, but if it does, every bond issue like this one will be left holding bills that need to be paid and no revenue to pay them.

The current students need to be under one roof, but the current enrollment decline does not lead one to the conclusion of a new school. Not to mention that 16 teachers and four other staff will lose their jobs, negating the advantages of the extra class time per student that small schools love to brag about.

I agree, it will pass. It's unfortunate that North Dakota law allows a political body to shove vote after vote down the throats of the public, then use scare tactics to get it passed. People have been threatened with the loss of their jobs if they don't vote for passage. You can rest assured that the desire to vote yes, for some, has more to do with self-preservation than with the good of the school. This is the effort that will lead to passage.

well In all elections, Majority is 51%....My brother Taught at North Central....don't assume I am slinging mud, I've done my home work and paid my taxes, grew up in the stupidist small school in ND....I'm pro New Schools in Rural ND....do it now, there will come a time when we may not be able to....I'm also for No property taxes, always have been... It would keep the Big Tax Payers out of the front row of the School Board Meetings telling the School Board how to spend "THEIR" Money.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dr.Love » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:38 pm

heimer wrote:Taxpayers have rejected twice, but some school board members are on the record saying they will "keep shoving it down the voter's throats till it passes." Expect another vote soon.

What record would those board members be on? As usual your information is wrong. Do you ever take the professional high road or is it always the uninformed road.
Dr.Love
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsbest44 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:59 pm

heimer wrote:People have been threatened with the loss of their jobs if they don't vote for passage..

This seems like a pretty lofty acusation, is their any evidence to support this or is it just heresay?
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Yeah, the information is not wrong. I saw the minutes of the meeting, then called a school board member, read it as it was printed, and got confirmation that what I read was indeed said. So, the information is absolutely correct. I did take the professional high road, and called a school board member for confirmation before I used the material. Keep firing from the hip there, smarty.

As for the firing part, yes, I know of a person being told, "not to even come in for their job" after speaking against the school issue the first go-around.

All legit, all factual.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Dr.Love » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:38 pm

heimer wrote:Yeah, the information is not wrong. I saw the minutes of the meeting, then called a school board member, read it as it was printed, and got confirmation that what I read was indeed said. So, the information is absolutely correct. I did take the professional high road, and called a school board member for confirmation before I used the material. Keep firing from the hip there, smarty.

As for the firing part, yes, I know of a person being told, "not to even come in for their job" after speaking against the school issue the first go-around.

All legit, all factual.

Your saying those were the actual minutes of a BCN meeting you saw?
Dr.Love
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:43 pm

heimer wrote:Taxpayers have rejected twice, but some school board members are on the record saying they will "keep shoving it down the voter's throats till it passes." Expect another vote soon.
Last edited by Bisonguy06 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:45 pm

My bad, not official minutes. They were a written dialogue of a meeting kept by a person at the meeting, then verified by a school board member as being accurate quotes of school board members involved. The point being that, as my professional high road was called into question, I saw the written documents, then called a school board member to verify that the quotes were not taken out of context, nor made up, nor embellished. None of that took place, according to the school board member I spoke with. The plan, as expressed at a meeting before the second vote, is to continue to force vote after vote until it passes.
Last edited by heimer on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:27 pm

heimer wrote:My bad, not official minutes. They were a written dialogue of a meeting kept by a person at the meeting, then verified by a school board member as being accurate quotes of school board members involved. The point being that, as my professional high road was called into question, I saw the written documents, then called a school board member to verify that the quotes were not taken out of context, nor made up, nor embellished. None of that took place, according to the school board member I spoke with. The plan, as expressed at a meeting before the second vote, is to continue to force vote after vote until it passes.

I know you threw in the teacher thing to throw off the reality of the story, does a teacher really want whats best for them versus whats best for students???....If you voted just with the faculty you would have over 60% easy.....there is retirements and relocating thats a reality even without a new school, remember its already one District......the hurdle is not faculty...its $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ everybody wants to save somebody Else's $$$$$... but cant manage their own!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:55 pm

No, I threw in the teacher thing so everyone can get the full impact TO education the project will have. Bricks don't teach people, and for the same pricetag, the district could revitalize a good building, put the kids under one roof, and retain teachers, losing only those that would retire anyway. Kids do need buildings, but the absolutely have to have teachers. All the new buildings in the world will not teach kids anything.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:23 pm

heimer wrote:No, I threw in the teacher thing so everyone can get the full impact TO education the project will have. Bricks don't teach people, and for the same pricetag, the district could revitalize a good building, put the kids under one roof, and retain teachers, losing only those that would retire anyway. Kids do need buildings, but the absolutely have to have teachers. All the new buildings in the world will not teach kids anything.

I will tell everyone one thing thats Gospel, Bigger Classes does not mean less one on one, and Smaller classes don't mean more one on one...its truly the biggest pharse in all of education.....and what do bricks have to do with your teaching theory?......every renovation project out their constitutes into almost the same amount of $$$ as new...and in the long run more......if this country can build million dollar Boarder crossing's where 10 people cross in 12 hours and fight billion dollar nonsense wars in third world country's, they can build a new school in Barns county or any of the other 51 counties in ND....and if the state can soak revenue just to watch it multiply and slowly let it dissipate on useless projects they can build buildings that get the teachers and students excited to attend....especially when the Mill levy's dont rise one inch.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 am

"I will tell everyone one thing thats Gospel, Bigger Classes does not mean less one on one, and Smaller classes don't mean more one on one..."

You make a lot of noise but you don't make any sense. You are right about one thing you did get a bad education.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:14 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:"I will tell everyone one thing thats Gospel, Bigger Classes does not mean less one on one, and Smaller classes don't mean more one on one..."

You make a lot of noise but you don't make any sense. You are right about one thing you did get a bad education.

I'm talking A new School for a Rural ND area, your direct slam is noted
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsbest44 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:17 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:"I will tell everyone one thing thats Gospel, Bigger Classes does not mean less one on one, and Smaller classes don't mean more one on one..."

Thank you for bringing absolutely nothing to this conversation guru, maybe just stick to the football topics from now on
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Winner, what do you think of the Cavalier school issue? Read it in the Herald today. Interested in your opinion because it said they approached the NB school district to possibly build one school for all 4 communities out in the county.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:24 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Winner, what do you think of the Cavalier school issue? Read it in the Herald today. Interested in your opinion because it said they approached the NB school district to possibly build one school for all 4 communities out in the county.

I have heard of a couple different scenarios, like the one You bring up, another one being The new school gets built right in Cavalier, keeping the Gym part of the old School, I would really like to see NB come together with Cavalier as a One School district...with the country School.. but I am sure there are big hurdles to get over for that one to happen....I do know that we are on the brink of alot of change when it comes to Education and Schools in ND....With the possibility of Higher Ed getting tied into Public School system and having one elected head...I'm not sure I like that one but I do think things need a boost.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:06 am

winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Winner, what do you think of the Cavalier school issue? Read it in the Herald today. Interested in your opinion because it said they approached the NB school district to possibly build one school for all 4 communities out in the county.

I have heard of a couple different scenarios, like the one You bring up, another one being The new school gets built right in Cavalier, keeping the Gym part of the old School, I would really like to see NB come together with Cavalier as a One School district...with the country School.. but I am sure there are big hurdles to get over for that one to happen....I do know that we are on the brink of alot of change when it comes to Education and Schools in ND....With the possibility of Higher Ed getting tied into Public School system and having one elected head...I'm not sure I like that one but I do think things need a boost.

While building one school in the country is a nice idea for equal travel, I'm not too big of a fan of that. It would have a weird feel to it to just have a school out in the middle of a random field.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:52 am

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

While building one school in the country is a nice idea for equal travel, I'm not too big of a fan of that. It would have a weird feel to it to just have a school out in the middle of a random field.

There are a few schools like that though...Northern Cass, Midkota and Central Valley to name a few.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:30 am

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Believe me nothings random when its all said and done right down to the location.....I agree in some scenarios...Like Northern Pembina County, its (in the long run) probably better in town.....One thing I like about out of town is the School Lunch Program is much more successful....It also equals the playing field for the towns involved with travel and such...as passionate of a situation this all is for many people in our wonderful State, it really does happen, there are choices that will have to be made...and there not easy ones....It needs to be layed out and talked about with everyone, not just big wigs and officials....these are our schools and our pride....that's why it takes 60% majority to get it done.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics