All-state winners

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All-state winners

Postby L2DS8 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:04 pm

I agree. The voters need to either attend the games or talk to the coaches. Reading just the stats is not enough. If the coaches would have voted i believe the results would definitely be different.

Scoobyx2: I believe their scoring would increase (although Longtin was already at over 15 a game) because Dickinson and Williston were not as deep. There simply would be more opportunities. Longtin was in top 10 in steals and top 10 in ft %. She is a point guard so her rebounding probably isn't going to be in the top 10.
L2DS8
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:45 pm

L2DS8 wrote:I agree. The voters need to either attend the games or talk to the coaches. Reading just the stats is not enough. If the coaches would have voted i believe the results would definitely be different.

Scoobyx2: I believe their scoring would increase (although Longtin was already at over 15 a game) because Dickinson and Williston were not as deep. There simply would be more opportunities. Longtin was in top 10 in steals and top 10 in ft %. She is a point guard so her rebounding probably isn't going to be in the top 10.

I really do think that Longtin is a good player, but the girls who made the list were at the top of a lot of categories for the STATE, not just their conference. As a point guard, I would put Dehne from North at the top of the list. Also, I don't think anyone from Mandan was giving up scoring opportunities for a balance attack. They actually needed more scoring from anybody, and they would have been at state. I think Mandan has some strong players moving up tho, and will be tough in the next few years.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby L2DS8 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:53 am

scoobyx2 wrote:I really do think that Longtin is a good player, but the girls who made the list were at the top of a lot of categories for the STATE, not just their conference. As a point guard, I would put Dehne from North at the top of the list. Also, I don't think anyone from Mandan was giving up scoring opportunities for a balance attack. They actually needed more scoring from anybody, and they would have been at state. I think Mandan has some strong players moving up tho, and will be tough in the next few years.

Longtin's numbers stack up state wide. If you regularly watch girls basketball it is obvious Longtin is one of the vey top players in the state, as were Carew and Kinney. With Shanley, they had different scoring leaders throughout the season. Good for them as they really were a team. That shouldn't take away from the fact they are top players as well. The voters need to vote on All State players not All scoring players.
L2DS8
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 pm

L2DS8 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I really do think that Longtin is a good player, but the girls who made the list were at the top of a lot of categories for the STATE, not just their conference. As a point guard, I would put Dehne from North at the top of the list. Also, I don't think anyone from Mandan was giving up scoring opportunities for a balance attack. They actually needed more scoring from anybody, and they would have been at state. I think Mandan has some strong players moving up tho, and will be tough in the next few years.

Longtin's numbers stack up state wide. If you regularly watch girls basketball it is obvious Longtin is one of the vey top players in the state, as were Carew and Kinney. With Shanley, they had different scoring leaders throughout the season. Good for them as they really were a team. That shouldn't take away from the fact they are top players as well. The voters need to vote on All State players not All scoring players.

I guess I just don't see who you would take off the list to put those players on. Century was successful all season. They were ranked #1 most of the year, won the WDA tourney, and their only loss at state was to the eventual state champion Fargo North, and they did it w/ one of their top players injured. What team player was overlooked on that team?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby L2DS8 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Good point on Century. They were balanced much like Shanley. and, it takes away from their individual awards and it shouldn't. the sportswriters and sportscasters should be doing a better job. Jacobs is another player that should be mentioned. I hesitate to mention names that shouldn't have made it because i don't know that's right and i am not here to bash players. but, i strongly believe that Longtin, Carew, Kinney and Jacobs should have been there in front of a couple of those that did make it.
L2DS8
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 am

L2DS8 wrote:Good point on Century. They were balanced much like Shanley. and, it takes away from their individual awards and it shouldn't. the sportswriters and sportscasters should be doing a better job. Jacobs is another player that should be mentioned. I hesitate to mention names that shouldn't have made it because i don't know that's right and i am not here to bash players. but, i strongly believe that Longtin, Carew, Kinney and Jacobs should have been there in front of a couple of those that did make it.

Actually, I wasn't claiming that Jacobs was overlooked. Govig had a strong year, along with others who stepped up when needed. I would say their coach was probably the most overlooked person on that team. I was just pointing out that there were other well-balanced teams that didn't have a player that made the all-state team. Out of the 4 you mentioned, who would you say is the best? That's tough, so you kind of have to go back to stats.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby L2DS8 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Agreed, Govig had a strong year as well. Out of the four mentioned, I would put them in order as: Longtin, Carew, Kinney, Jacobs.
L2DS8
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:57 am

L2DS8 wrote:Agreed, Govig had a strong year as well. Out of the four mentioned, I would put them in order as: Longtin, Carew, Kinney, Jacobs.

All good players but not necessarily any better than the ones who made the list. Longtin really stepped up for Mandan this year tho.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls