2 halves instead of 4 quarters

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2 halves instead of 4 quarters

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Makes more sense to me to go 2-- 18 minute halves for ND high school ball....More playing time for the Players and coordinates well with the shot clock...Players would actually have to be in great condition to really compete night in and night out.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2 halves instead of 4 quarters

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:30 pm

I kinda agree with you winner. I would like to see the switch to halves instead of quarters...everyone else around us seems to have made the move (All classes in MN and Class A in ND)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:22 am

I would have rather gone to halves than implement the shot clock, but I'm sure the halves will be started sometime in the future. I don't think ND can handle two changes like that back to back....need to space them out a bit!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:16 am

My 2 questions would be:
1. Are class b teams deep enough to handle it?
2. With the gap widening between good teams and poorer teams, would the blow outs increase even more?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 am

classB4ever wrote:My 2 questions would be:
1. Are class b teams deep enough to handle it?
2. With the gap widening between good teams and poorer teams, would the blow outs increase even more?

Looking at Stephen Argyle...Kittson Central and up and down the Valley the answer to your first question is a definite yes...
The Gap? Blow Outs?...there is an attitude with coaching Staffs that plays into both of these questions regardless of how long the game last, IMO...get the reserves in, give them some PT, nothing more gratifying, nothing more valuable, I see it as an opportunity....one thing that does increase is your bonuses and double bonuses, aggressive ND players initially would be fouling out more until they realized the extra minutes takes more discipline.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I kinda agree with you winner. I would like to see the switch to halves instead of quarters...everyone else around us seems to have made the move (All classes in MN and Class A in ND)

While you may be right about all classes in Minnesota and Class A in North Dakota. You would be wrong to assume that everyone else around us is playing halves.

The NFHS (National Federation of High School Assossiations) rules indication high school basketball be played with four 8-minute quarters and no shot clock. As a matter of fact, the NDHSAA is a non-voting member of NFHS because Class A has had a shot clock for more than 3 years. NFHS rules allow states to implement an experimental rule for up to 3 years. Since Class A has had a shot clock for more than three years, the NFHS does not sanction ND Class A basketball, and the NDHSAA is a non-voting member.

We aren't in this thread to debate the shot-clock, and as I have said in other threads, I don't think the shot clock will have an impact on Class B basketball when two good teams play each other. My fear is that when a good teams play bad teams. Good teams will no longer beable to demonstrate sportsmanship by running a minute of the clock with a 30 point lead. The will be forced to shoot again and again and we will end up with a flood of 130-19 type scores. I think with the shot clock coming to Class B, we need to simultaneously implement a mercy rule to prevent these types of blowouts.

As for playing 18 minute halves, I don't bring up the NFHS to imply that ND must be followers of the rest of the nation; I brought it up to dispell any myths that "everyone else is playing halfs and ND is behind the times," because that simply isn't true. Also, while I don't necessarily think we need to be followers, I think it's nice to have our sport sanctioned by the NFHS and that it would also be nice for the NDHSAA to be a voting member.

As for 18 minute halfs in Class B basketball? Class A can handle 18 minute halves because of their depth. Moving the game from 32 minutes with two quarter breaks to 36 minutes with no quarter breaks requires teams to go at least 8 or 9 deep running not just 3 to 4 warm bodies off the bench, but 3 to 4 actual varsity ballplayers. Class A can handle finding that many capable student-athletes year after year. Class B schools very rarely go any deeper than 7.

I've labeled the shot-clock as a "no-impact" change except in great team vs. terrible team blowout situations. 18 minute halves would be a negative impact change for Class B basketball. Right now the North Stars, Bertholds, New Rockfords, and Parshalls of the state are extrememly competitive with the Graftons and the Carringtons (thus a 3-class system isn't necessary). 18 minute halfs would put the North Stars and the Bertholds at a nearly insurmountable disadvantage against the Graftons and the Carringtons.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 pm

NDplayin wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:I kinda agree with you winner. I would like to see the switch to halves instead of quarters...everyone else around us seems to have made the move (All classes in MN and Class A in ND)

While you may be right about all classes in Minnesota and Class A in North Dakota. You would be wrong to assume that everyone else around us is playing halves.

The NFHS (National Federation of High School Assossiations) rules indication high school basketball be played with four 8-minute quarters and no shot clock. As a matter of fact, the NDHSAA is a non-voting member of NFHS because Class A has had a shot clock for more than 3 years. NFHS rules allow states to implement an experimental rule for up to 3 years. Since Class A has had a shot clock for more than three years, the NFHS does not sanction ND Class A basketball, and the NDHSAA is a non-voting member.

We aren't in this thread to debate the shot-clock, and as I have said in other threads, I don't think the shot clock will have an impact on Class B basketball when two good teams play each other. My fear is that when a good teams play bad teams. Good teams will no longer beable to demonstrate sportsmanship by running a minute of the clock with a 30 point lead. The will be forced to shoot again and again and we will end up with a flood of 130-19 type scores. I think with the shot clock coming to Class B, we need to simultaneously implement a mercy rule to prevent these types of blowouts.

As for playing 18 minute halves, I don't bring up the NFHS to imply that ND must be followers of the rest of the nation; I brought it up to dispell any myths that "everyone else is playing halfs and ND is behind the times," because that simply isn't true. Also, while I don't necessarily think we need to be followers, I think it's nice to have our sport sanctioned by the NFHS and that it would also be nice for the NDHSAA to be a voting member.

As for 18 minute halfs in Class B basketball? Class A can handle 18 minute halves because of their depth. Moving the game from 32 minutes with two quarter breaks to 36 minutes with no quarter breaks requires teams to go at least 8 or 9 deep running not just 3 to 4 warm bodies off the bench, but 3 to 4 actual varsity ballplayers. Class A can handle finding that many capable student-athletes year after year. Class B schools very rarely go any deeper than 7.

I've labeled the shot-clock as a "no-impact" change except in great team vs. terrible team blowout situations. 18 minute halves would be a negative impact change for Class B basketball. Right now the North Stars, Bertholds, New Rockfords, and Parshalls of the state are extrememly competitive with the Graftons and the Carringtons (thus a 3-class system isn't necessary). 18 minute halfs would put the North Stars and the Bertholds at a nearly insurmountable disadvantage against the Graftons and the Carringtons.

This is story book stuff I actually have never seen a Class B team hold the ball for a minute to prevent humiliation in my over 30 years of watching it....Examples like this are actually funny, if there are teams out there coming up the pipe that have nothing competitive to bring to the floor than they best invest into Loom and start making RUGS...I am so tired of hearing the stories of Bad teams with no talent...I hope nobody is conveying this message to the actual programs who they believe will be faced with this dramatic dilemma!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 pm

NDplayin wrote:

I basically was only stating that MN and Class A have already made the move to halves. I never said ND was behind the times.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 pm

winner-within wrote:This is story book stuff I actually have never seen a Class B team hold the ball for a minute to prevent humiliation in my over 30 years of watching it....Examples like this are actually funny, if there are teams out there coming up the pipe that have nothing competitive to bring to the floor than they best invest into Loom and start making RUGS...I am so tired of hearing the stories of Bad teams with no talent...I hope nobody is conveying this message to the actual programs who they believe will be faced with this dramatic dilemma!!

Either you pick and choose to only go to competitive games or you live in an area where teams don't believe in sportsmanship. Between the regular season and district tournaments, both boys and girls, I see this situation play out 5 or 6 times a season, and that's just the 30 or so games I attend. I find it reasonable to assume it also happens at 5 or 6 out of every 30 games I don't attend. That's no story book.

In Class B, the pendulum swings hard both ways. You can have runs of good competitive athletes, and dry spells of no athletes. When a strong, potential state team is playing one of the bottom dwellers of their district, I've seen head coaches implement several tactics prevent leads from getting out of hand. I've seen them require minute possessions before a shot, I've seen them require all 5 players touch the ball before a shot, I've seen them require a set number of ball reversals before a shot, and under no circumstances do they allow fastbreak lay-ups. These tactics prevent scores from getting out of hand like the 130-17 score we saw this year. The fact that the coaches of North Dakota want a shot clock is fine with me, but since the shot clock takes away those tactics that prevent a blowout we also need a mercy rule. There is a difference between beating a team badly and embarrassing them.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 pm

NDplayin wrote:

I find this very interesting. You would think the NDHSAA would want to have all sports in ND sanctioned and be a voting member as well. Do you know how many other states are non-voting members?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:42 pm

NDplayin wrote:
winner-within wrote:This is story book stuff I actually have never seen a Class B team hold the ball for a minute to prevent humiliation in my over 30 years of watching it....Examples like this are actually funny, if there are teams out there coming up the pipe that have nothing competitive to bring to the floor than they best invest into Loom and start making RUGS...I am so tired of hearing the stories of Bad teams with no talent...I hope nobody is conveying this message to the actual programs who they believe will be faced with this dramatic dilemma!!

Either you pick and choose to only go to competitive games or you live in an area where teams don't believe in sportsmanship. Between the regular season and district tournaments, both boys and girls, I see this situation play out 5 or 6 times a season, and that's just the 30 or so games I attend. I find it reasonable to assume it also happens at 5 or 6 out of every 30 games I don't attend. That's no story book.

In Class B, the pendulum swings hard both ways. You can have runs of good competitive athletes, and dry spells of no athletes. When a strong, potential state team is playing one of the bottom dwellers of their district, I've seen head coaches implement several tactics prevent leads from getting out of hand. I've seen them require minute possessions before a shot, I've seen them require all 5 players touch the ball before a shot, I've seen them require a set number of ball reversals before a shot, and under no circumstances do they allow fastbreak lay-ups. These tactics prevent scores from getting out of hand like the 130-17 score we saw this year. The fact that the coaches of North Dakota want a shot clock is fine with me, but since the shot clock takes away those tactics that prevent a blowout we also need a mercy rule. There is a difference between beating a team badly and embarrassing them.

I thought (from reading on this forum) that the clock took away...The ability of a less talented team to handle a more talented team with the Stall Tactic...Now I'm getting another example of how it hurts the Real good team in being able to withdraw and back off the steam.....This is what I truly think....."even Basketball evolves" and a shot clock and 2 haves in Evaluation of a sport that is already out there and has been for decades...We could go back to the Days of No air bags in our cars...but then everyone would be buying one for their wife :lol:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Winner-Within:

I guess from that last post I can't really tell where you stand on the subjects. Maybe you are as unclear about where I stand as I am about you. This is me:

1. I am not anti-shot clock, Im fine with the shot clock. I am pro-mercy rule. For as good as a Class B team like Northstar can be, there are Class B teams just as bad. I don't have much sympathy for those teams that they lose all their games. In my mind if they want to change it then it is up to them to start building a program. However, I don't find it necessary to embarrass them, which will happen if the shot-clock doesn't come hand-in-hand with a mercy rule.

2. I don't think 18 minutes halves is wise for Class B. The depth isn't there. 18 minute halves isn't a reflection on the evolution of the way the game of basketball is played, it is a reflection on the increased depth of basketball teams at the college (and perhaps large high school level). Even if the way Class B basketball is played is evolving, the amount of depth on the bench is a function of numbers, and those haven't evolved.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 pm

NDplayin wrote:Winner-Within:

I guess from that last post I can't really tell where you stand on the subjects. Maybe you are as unclear about where I stand as I am about you. This is me:

1. I am not anti-shot clock, Im fine with the shot clock. I am pro-mercy rule. For as good as a Class B team like Northstar can be, there are Class B teams just as bad. I don't have much sympathy for those teams that they lose all their games. In my mind if they want to change it then it is up to them to start building a program. However, I don't find it necessary to embarrass them, which will happen if the shot-clock doesn't come hand-in-hand with a mercy rule.

2. I don't think 18 minutes halves is wise for Class B. The depth isn't there. 18 minute halves isn't a reflection on the evolution of the way the game of basketball is played, it is a reflection on the increased depth of basketball teams at the college (and perhaps large high school level). Even if the way Class B basketball is played is evolving, the amount of depth on the bench is a function of numbers, and those haven't evolved.

Give us a description of a mercy rule and how its played out please

I can see your depth issue or at least thinking there is a depth issue but truly this doesn't coincide with your mercy rule issue...If there are numerous schools that have a potential of blowing a team out than they certainly wont have a depth issue, even if they did 16 minute halves i like halves over quarters.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

The depth issue has absolutely nothing to do with the shot clock. It does, however, have everything to do with Halves verus Quarters. Im am seperating shot clock and halves as two seperate issues, depth comes into play when we are talking halves; the mercy rule comes into play when we are talking shot clock

There are several different ways you could work a mercy rule, this would be my current choice: At any time that the score equals a 30 point spread in the second half, the shot clock goes off, and the game clock runs continuously except for timeouts, freethrows, and quarter breaks.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 pm

NDplayin wrote:Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

The depth issue has absolutely nothing to do with the shot clock. It does, however, have everything to do with Halves versus Quarters. I'm am separating shot clock and halves as two separate issues, depth comes into play when we are talking halves; the mercy rule comes into play when we are talking shot clock

There are several different ways you could work a mercy rule, this would be my current choice: At any time that the score equals a 30 point spread in the second half, the shot clock goes off, and the game clock runs continuously except for timeouts, free throws, and quarter breaks.

I am definitely not for a Mercy rule, although your Mercy rule makes total sense...I think this is a perfect time for reserves.....Coaches Have to have some Mercy.....Turning the clocks on and off if the count floats around 30 and implementing more rules isn't the answer IMO ...I'm sort of excited for the clock I think it will raise havoc in the beginning for some and some will adapt faster...2 halves making the game 4 mins longer would be a bigger adjustment than the clock I think.
I know Class B is suffering in some territory's with Numbers and this concerns me...but I still think the difference in Talent boils down more to Programs instead of enrollment.....I actually think that the big towns have the advantage not so much due to Numbers but more on the line of facilities to be able to conduct 2 to 3 practices at the same time getting things started at a young age and keeping it going with Parents and coaches who want it and want it bad.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bequickdonthurry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:06 am

If halves are the answer, why don't they do that in the pros and in international play? Why only college and some rogue states?
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:If halves are the answer, why don't they do that in the pros and in international play? Why only college and some rogue states?

Definitely not trying to answer anything....Pros? its another break fro TV...I want to know how many players in High School right now, wouldn't like 4 more Mins of PT each game.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:57 pm

winner-within wrote:Definitely not trying to answer anything....Pros? its another break fro TV...I want to know how many players in High School right now, wouldn't like 4 more Mins of PT each game.

To me the discussion of playing 18 minute halves isn't so much an issue of playing time than it is the loss of the quarter breaks. There are occassionally exceptions to every rule as schools have up and down years, but Class B teams typically can't find many more than 7 players able to contribute at the varsity level. The loss of those quarter breaks requires teams to have more depth to stay competitive, wether it is a 32 minute game or a 36 minute game.

Considering Class B teams dont run much deeper than 7 and that Class A teams can usually go deeper than 8. I bet that if you look at the breakdowns, starters for Class B teams play more total minutes a game than starters of Class A schools, even though the game is 4 minutes shorter.

If it did come down to an issue of the length of the game, I would prefer 9 minute quarters over 18 minute halves for the Class B level.

As for the Mercy Rule, I should have been more specific on one point. Once the spread reached 30 in the second half, the clock would continue to run even if the score dipped back below 30. It is extremely rare but possible to come from behind and win a game when you've been down 20 in the second half; once you've been down 30 in the second half, the game is over.

I also understand what you mean about those blow out situations being a time for reserves. I would hope that coaches would be playing their reserves while the clock was running. Even if they do play their reserves, that doesn't garuntee the score stabalizes and doesn't get worse.

There is evidence for the need of a Mercy Rule to accompany the shot clock. This year (even without the shot clock) there was a lot of talk on this forum about a 130-17 score in girls basketball. One of two things happened here. Either the coach showed no integrity and kept the starters in to run up the score, or the coach had the reserves in the game and the reserves were still way better than the other team. Both possible senarios are evidence we need the shot clock. Just because all coaches SHOULD have integrity, doesn't mean all coaches DO have integrity. It was brought up that the JV team from that school played a Varity team later that week and won by 80. It sounds like those reserves are pretty good and were likely a big part in the 130-17 score. There are several talented team vs. no talent team match ups like this in Class B every year... with the shot-clock eliminating long possessions, we will see too many more 130-17 type scores unless we implement a mercy rule.

I agree with you completely that being good at the B level is more a function of program than it is enrollment. The winning team referenced above has a 9-12 enrollment of roughly only 120.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:09 pm

You would see alot more rotating with 2-18 min. Halves and Coaches would be forced to go deeper and would be more comfortable going to 8 and 9 just because you have more second half to play out a strategy with the top 6 or 7...I see way to many Jr playing JV and freshman sitting....JV should be freshman, Sophomore and Varsity Jr, Sr with an exception for the talented one. regardless of how many make up the 2 squads its always nice to see PT, the more PT the more groomed they are when they reach their JR, SR years....You can polish, hone, rehearse, act out and practice all you want and it all helps!....but nothing replaces the time spent, while the bleachers are full and the clock is ticking and the fans are screaming and the refs are blowing and the coach is hollering.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Either you would see more rotating or you would see a lot more exhausted players on the floor because they are playing more minutes with less breaks. Which ever way it goes the quality of play goes down. Exhausted kids don't play as well as they do when they are fresh, and most of the games Im at, when the 8th man checks into the game he is barely good enough to lace up his basketball shoes against varsity competition and is only meant for junk time the last few minutes of a game that isnt close. Rotating more makes basketball great if you have enough talent to rotate in. If you don't, you are just lowering the quality of play, and I don't think that's the answer.

As for your Varsity JV breakdown.... you get 6 quarter is class b. What I see state wide are the best 6 or 7 players (regardless of grade) playing 4 varisty quarters, and the 8th, 9th, 10th players (unless they are seniors) getting 3 or 4 quarters in the JV game and the left overs are "just in case" quarters for the Varsity.

You complain about Juniors playing JV. I think Varsity or JV is purely a function of your ability and not about your grade. Even better, if you have Juniors playing JV and they are taking that time away from some of your sophmores or freshman, it sounds like you are in the enviable position of fielding a C team. There are endless opportunities to get everyone playing time. We don't need to go to Halves to accomplish that.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:28 pm

NDplayin wrote:Either you would see more rotating or you would see a lot more exhausted players on the floor because they are playing more minutes with less breaks. Which ever way it goes the quality of play goes down. Exhausted kids don't play as well as they do when they are fresh, and most of the games Im at, when the 8th man checks into the game he is barely good enough to lace up his basketball shoes against varsity competition and is only meant for junk time the last few minutes of a game that isnt close. Rotating more makes basketball great if you have enough talent to rotate in. If you don't, you are just lowering the quality of play, and I don't think that's the answer.

As for your Varsity JV breakdown.... you get 6 quarter is class b. What I see state wide are the best 6 or 7 players (regardless of grade) playing 4 varisty quarters, and the 8th, 9th, 10th players (unless they are seniors) getting 3 or 4 quarters in the JV game and the left overs are "just in case" quarters for the Varsity.

You complain about Juniors playing JV. I think Varsity or JV is purely a function of your ability and not about your grade. Even better, if you have Juniors playing JV and they are taking that time away from some of your sophmores or freshman, it sounds like you are in the enviable position of fielding a C team. There are endless opportunities to get everyone playing time. We don't need to go to Halves to accomplish that.

I like your long explanations, they are well thought out...I will start from the top..Exhausted? If a person can train for and then actually compete in a 26 mile marathon than we know that 4 more mins in a Basketball game is null...and the reason I say Rotation would increase is not because of conditioning its because you simply have more time to play it out...especially if your theory of a shot clock will bring way more blowouts...I think your reading into far...I'm not saying the need for Halves is there...I'm saying it wouldn't bother me if we bellied up and jumped into whats taking place in alot of places....the reason a Shot clock or 2 halves had not been implemented thus far is not because we dont have the #'s or the $$$...its because ND Class B is Complacent and we dont want to rock the current Boat...If you will!.....Believe me, We are underestimating our athletes...Just 4 years ago you could watch ESPN all day and not see one thing on ND or SD and we have been States in this union for over 120 years now....Well now we had NDSU make the dance and today I saw NDSU and SDSU in the Bar on the bottom that runs across the TV screen...we have to be proud of that...and whether its Class A or Class B we have to believe our athlete's can land an opportunity to these schools in the future.....Run, Jump, Kick, Throw, Sprint, Catch whatever it is you like to do...do it.....I don't buy into exhaustion, it makes it sound like our youngins like the couch to much.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:02 am

winner-within wrote:I like your long explanations, they are well thought out...I will start from the top..Exhausted? If a person can train for and then actually compete in a 26 mile marathon than we know that 4 more mins in a Basketball game is null...and the reason I say Rotation would increase is not because of conditioning its because you simply have more time to play it out...especially if your theory of a shot clock will bring way more blowouts...I think your reading into far...I'm not saying the need for Halves is there...I'm saying it wouldn't bother me if we bellied up and jumped into whats taking place in alot of places....the reason a Shot clock or 2 halves had not been implemented thus far is not because we dont have the #'s or the $$$...its because ND Class B is Complacent and we dont want to rock the current Boat...If you will!.....Believe me, We are underestimating our athletes...Just 4 years ago you could watch ESPN all day and not see one thing on ND or SD and we have been States in this union for over 120 years now....Well now we had NDSU make the dance and today I saw NDSU and SDSU in the Bar on the bottom that runs across the TV screen...we have to be proud of that...and whether its Class A or Class B we have to believe our athlete's can land an opportunity to these schools in the future.....Run, Jump, Kick, Throw, Sprint, Catch whatever it is you like to do...do it.....I don't buy into exhaustion, it makes it sound like our youngins like the couch to much.

High school basketball players don't get in the shape that marathon runners do. There are already players who have to play the entire game and get exhausted. Just because you add 4 minutes, doesn't mean their stamina will drastically increase. I agree with NDplayin, if you want the 4 extra minutes, go to 9 minute quarters.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Just give one extra timeout each half than what they have now and you can take your break when you need it.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 pm

winner-within wrote:Just give one extra timeout each half than what they have now and you can take your break when you need it.

Well in basketball your timeouts are for the whole game, not a half-to-half basis, so who's to say the coach takes that timeout in the first half?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:Just give one extra timeout each half than what they have now and you can take your break when you need it.

Well in basketball your timeouts are for the whole game, not a half-to-half basis, so who's to say the coach takes that timeout in the first half?

Each team gets one more if there is OT, which there were alot of this season, which is adding 5 Mins to the end of a Battle, which is way more exhasting than 2 mins on the end of each half, which would help detour Overtimes.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics