Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball

Postby intensity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:20 pm

WOW! You sit behind a screen and badmouth kids with a ficticious name. Your an adult, you should act like one! Would Jesus be proud of you? Do you realize kids get on here and read these posts? I believe your antics and attitude is a form of cyberbullying and THAT SHOULDNT BE TOLERATED! This site is not set up for complaining about players, coaches, teams,officals and fans...its here to demonstrate the spirit of GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP, wheres yours? Congrats to SOUTH on winning their 6th straight EDC CHAMPIONSHIP and good luck to all the participants next week at STATE!

In what way is saying that a player has a bad attitude cyberbullying?

I agree 100% that it is painful to watch Roehrich play. Have you seen her defense on South's zone? She literally stands in one spot in the zone with her hands down. Occasionally she will run out and try to block a shot... but if the team is smart, like Central was, they just go around her and hit a mid-range jumper.
As talented as she is, she could be SO much better. I question whether she will succeed at UND. She will have to change her attitude and work ethic in a big way.

There is a reason that Farroh won Senior Athlete of the Year. The award is voted on by the coaches; Farroh treats her opponents with respect, as well as being a great basketball player. The same can't be said for Roehrich. I think Roehrich wins media-based awards becuase they are voted on by people who only see her stats and highlights on the news.
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:24 pm

My opinion of this issue.

Roehrich is a better player than Farroh. Literally everyone that I know that played in the EDC tells me this.

Farroh has a vastly superior attitude to Roehrich. All but one person that I know that played in the EDC tells me this.

Roehrich probably wins media awards becuase they are looking at who the best player is.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Let's leave religion out of the conversation, intensity.

Last nights game just proved to me how much more sportsmanship Farroh has. After a South player hit the ground, Farroh would run over and help them up; I don't think Roehrich has done that ever..The voters for Mr/Ms Basketball are supposed to take sportsmanship in to consideration.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby intensity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:02 pm

balla45, i agree with you. But do you think that the coaches look for attitude, rather than for the best player, when voting for Senior Player of the Year?

roundem, when did I say anything about religion?
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby margoforehead » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Yesterday was a great day for girls bball in the EDC! What a group of talented and gracious players we have... Farroh, Fee, Mertens, Holland, Carew...I could go on. I was impressed with the level of play from all of these standouts and even more impressed by the good sportsmanship they displayed. West Fargo was so gracious in its defeat of a well-fought game, just as Shanley and North were gracious in their victories. It just goes to show that the best players and the best teams, in the truest sense, cannot always be determined by the win-loss record or stats. Can't wait for State to start to see great talent from the West like Jacobs from Century and Johnson from Minot...it will be a fun weekend....good luck to all!
Bruins44 doth protest too much.
margoforehead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:28 pm

roundem6 wrote:Let's leave religion out of the conversation, intensity.

Last nights game just proved to me how much more sportsmanship Farroh has. After a South player hit the ground, Farroh would run over and help them up; I don't think Roehrich has done that ever..The voters for Mr/Ms Basketball are supposed to take sportsmanship in to consideration.

intensity wrote:balla45, i agree with you. But do you think that the coaches look for attitude, rather than for the best player, when voting for Senior Player of the Year?

Just cleaning this up for both of you...intensity never said anything about religion in his/her post that was brought into the equation by grlsbballfan. Let's get this back ON TOPIC PLZ!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby roundem6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:44 pm

intensity wrote:
WOW! You sit behind a screen and badmouth kids with a ficticious name. Your an adult, you should act like one! Would Jesus be proud of you? Do you realize kids get on here and read these posts? I believe your antics and attitude is a form of cyberbullying and THAT SHOULDNT BE TOLERATED! This site is not set up for complaining about players, coaches, teams,officals and fans...its here to demonstrate the spirit of GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP, wheres yours? Congrats to SOUTH on winning their 6th straight EDC CHAMPIONSHIP and good luck to all the participants next week at STATE!

In what way is saying that a player has a bad attitude cyberbullying?

I agree 100% that it is painful to watch Roehrich play. Have you seen her defense on South's zone? She literally stands in one spot in the zone with her hands down. Occasionally she will run out and try to block a shot... but if the team is smart, like Central was, they just go around her and hit a mid-range jumper.
As talented as she is, she could be SO much better. I question whether she will succeed at UND. She will have to change her attitude and work ethic in a big way.

There is a reason that Farroh won Senior Athlete of the Year. The award is voted on by the coaches; Farroh treats her opponents with respect, as well as being a great basketball player. The same can't be said for Roehrich. I think Roehrich wins media-based awards becuase they are voted on by people who only see her stats and highlights on the news.

Yeah, my bad intensity, i misread the quote and thought you posted it.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roundem6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 pm

intensity wrote:balla45, i agree with you. But do you think that the coaches look for attitude, rather than for the best player, when voting for Senior Player of the Year?

I think clearly the coaches answered this by voting Farroh instead of Roehrich for the EDC Senior Athlete of the Year.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby daviesfan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Thirteen with a legitimate chance at all-state. Who would you take? West got 6 last year, East 4 last two years..

Who nominates and picks all-state team and when?

P Hannah Elshaug (sr) ** Devils Lake 21.3 8.6 rebs/48.3% FG
P Caitlin Farroh (sr) ** GF Central 22.1 17.6 rebs/63.4% FG/3.9 Blks
G Rebecca Fee (sr) ** GF Central 13.8 4.7 Asst/47.2% FG/38% 3-ptrs
G Alyssa Dehne (sr) ** Fargo North 15.8 4.8 Asst/74.7% FT/3.2 Ast
G-F Meghan Roehrich (sr) ** Fargo South 24.2 9.4 Rebs/3.5 Asst/2.5 Stls
G Sophie Kenney (sr) ** Shanley 11.5 5.4 Asst/72.6% FT/3.1 Stl
G-F Katelyn Holland (sr) ** West Fargo 18.1 7.3 Rebs/47 3-ptrs
P Golus, TM, 21.6 14.0 Rebs/3.1 Blks 51% FG
F Hruby, BIS, 17.2 14.2 Rebs/57.6% FG
F Johnson, MIN, 21.0 11.4 Rebs/3.2 Asst 41% 3-ptrs
G Longtin, MAN, 15.0 3.8 Assts/76% FT 2.7 Stls
P Herauf, DIC, 15.0 9.3 Rebs/2.6 Assts
P Lee, WIL, 16.2 8.7 Rebs/56% FG 3.4 Blks
daviesfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsguruguy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Roehrich is the better player. Don't hate the player. Hate the sport. I love watching megan play very talented. With her great work ethic she will be very successful at und and in life. There seams to be a lot of hate towards megan on this site. That just shows me that is indeed the best in class a. You people would love her if she was on your team but she's not she plays on the number 1 team in the east. Number 1 again for 6 consecutive years. I bet that really makes you people upset
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 pm

roundem6 wrote:

I think clearly the coaches answered this by voting Farroh instead of Roehrich for the EDC Senior Athlete of the Year.

Farroh has strong stats and was leading the number 1 team in the State and in the EDC to the conference tournament. Nobody should take away anything from her by implying that she only got it because Roehrich has a bad attitude. Roehrich tho proved that she can lead her team to big wins when they count, and has done it for 3 years. It will be up to the media to decide which is more impressive.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby yosports » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
roundem6 wrote:

Farroh has strong stats and was leading the number 1 team in the State and in the EDC to the conference tournament. Nobody should take away anything from her by implying that she only got it because Roehrich has a bad attitude. Roehrich tho proved that she can lead her team to big wins when they count, and has done it for 3 years. It will be up to the media to decide which is more impressive.

I think that both Farroh and Roehrich's stats were impressive and the coaches knew that too. But when it came time to "break the tie" the coaches definitely went for the more likable girl.
Also, I think that when athletes commit to a college program a lot is expected of them and if they don't perform just perfect then people say, "Oh she's not that good", etc. I saw some of that last year on this site about Madi Buck. Now look what Madi is doing at UND.

In regards to Miss Basketball, I saw the criteria a few years ago and there was a lot of stuff about Community, other activities, etc. That's is why I think the Class B girl. Long, will have the upper hand. She also has over 2000 points doesn't she?? How can you overlook that? I do not know anything about her but if she has 2000 points that will beat out Roehrich's 1700, wouldn't you think? And it seems like Class B girls tend to be involved in a lot of other activities outside of sports. In Class A it is hard to be in band, drama, etc when you are an athlete. At least it is in our city. That is my opinion. Has the list of candidates come out?
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:07 am

In response to Daviesfan, my predicted all staters are:

Roehrich, Farroh, Golus, Elshaug, and Johnson making up the first team.
Herauf, Kenney, Holland, Dehne, Hruby, and Pedersen making up the second team.

I see the media finding a way to not leave anyone off. It is rare that a returning all stater doesn't get it. In Pedersen's case, she is a returning all stater that went over 1000 points and won the WDA regular season title.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:24 am

balla45 wrote:In response to Daviesfan, my predicted all staters are:

I see the media finding a way to not leave anyone off. It is rare that a returning all stater doesn't get it. In Pedersen's case, she is a returning all stater that went over 1000 points and won the WDA regular season title.

Last year they went w/ 10. I don't see them adding a spot for her, and Longtin actually is their leading scorer and defender, and made the WDA all-tourney team. Your argument works for Herauf though.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby annierebecca4252 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:42 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:In response to Daviesfan, my predicted all staters are:

Last year they went w/ 10. I don't see them adding a spot for her, and Longtin actually is their leading scorer and defender, and made the WDA all-tourney team. Your argument works for Herauf though.

Not only that, but balla left off Carew, who was an all-stater last year. I don't think they will expand the field, this is a REALLY strong class!
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 am

They did go with 10 last year, but I think the 10 that were taken were fairly obvious picks. They went with 11 in either 2008 or 2009, I do not remember which off hand. Longtin is their leading scorer, but I think Pedersen gets the all-state bid when it comes to it. The only example of a returning all-stater that did not reason the award the following season was Amber Ramlo, and that was due to a major drop off, which Pedersen didn't have. One might argue that Pedersen is all-state over Holland. I am curious to see what happens.

Carew was not an all-stater last year.

2009-2010

First Team
Siri Burck Fargo South
Caitlin Farroh GF Central
Sasha Golus Turtle Mountain
Meghan Roehrich Fargo South
Carly Peterson Century
Second Team
Alyssa Dehne Fargo North
Madi Buck Century
Steph Pederson Mandan
Jess Herauf Dickinson
Kara Nygaard Jamestown

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby annierebecca4252 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 am

I'm wrong. Thanks for correcting me.
So then I have a question about how the all-state team is selected? Is it coaches?
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

balla45 wrote:They did go with 10 last year, but I think the 10 that were taken were fairly obvious picks. They went with 11 in either 2008 or 2009, I do not remember which off hand. Longtin is their leading scorer, but I think Pedersen gets the all-state bid when it comes to it. The only example of a returning all-stater that did not reason the award the following season was Amber Ramlo, and that was due to a major drop off, which Pedersen didn't have. One might argue that Pedersen is all-state over Holland. I am curious to see what happens.

Carew was not an all-stater last year.

2009-2010

First Team
Siri Burck Fargo South
Caitlin Farroh GF Central
Sasha Golus Turtle Mountain
Meghan Roehrich Fargo South
Carly Peterson Century
Second Team
Alyssa Dehne Fargo North
Madi Buck Century
Steph Pederson Mandan
Jess Herauf Dickinson
Kara Nygaard Jamestown

Mandan didn't make it to state, and don't really have an all-state player on their team. I would look for a player from Century to make before a player from Mandan. Pederson had a tough year compared to her junior year.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Steph Pedersen is an all-state basketball player. Statistically speaking her senior season was less impressive than he junior season. In all reality, she simply played less and took less shots because her teammates were able to mature and help her out.

They did not make state, but this has not seemed to ever matter in girl's basketball.

Golus is a 2 time all stater and has never appeared at state, as is Farroh.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

balla45 wrote:Steph Pedersen is an all-state basketball player. Statistically speaking her senior season was less impressive than he junior season. In all reality, she simply played less and took less shots because her teammates were able to mature and help her out.

They did not make state, but this has not seemed to ever matter in girl's basketball.

Golus is a 2 time all stater and has never appeared at state, as is Farroh.

Golus and Farroh are in a different league of play. They don't need a courtesy vote because of a previous year, and they have had the season and the stats to back up their spots this year. If you think Pedersen deserves it on this year's play, then I will respect your opinion.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsguruguy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:26 pm

I am excited to see all these great scorers and players to perform together at the lions all star game!! I think their is 8 seniors in the edc that surpassed a 1000 points in their career!! OUTSTANDING!! Not sure about the west but i know they have some serious talent!!
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:51 am

sportsguruguy wrote:I am excited to see all these great scorers and players to perform together at the lions all star game!! I think their is 8 seniors in the edc that surpassed a 1000 points in their career!! OUTSTANDING!! Not sure about the west but i know they have some serious talent!!

So..The east get 6 players and the west gets 6 players for the all-star roster. That means there will be 2 1000 point scorers that are alternates rather than players in the all-star game......CRAZY!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 am

Baller wrote:
sportsguruguy wrote:I am excited to see all these great scorers and players to perform together at the lions all star game!! I think their is 8 seniors in the edc that surpassed a 1000 points in their career!! OUTSTANDING!! Not sure about the west but i know they have some serious talent!!

So..The east get 6 players and the west gets 6 players for the all-star roster. That means there will be 2 1000 point scorers that are alternates rather than players in the all-star game......CRAZY!

Some may have other committments, or maybe play volleyball.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby annierebecca4252 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Baller wrote:

Not only that but there are a few other players that are also really good that are not 1000 point scorers. I am thinking of Kenney from Shanley in particular. Several have mentioned she should be all-state this year.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby dolly095 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Personally, I hope that Farroh gets the award-her stats are amazing! She is a great all-around player. Maybe, she isn't as "fun or exciting" to watch as Roerich-she actually usually looks gangly and clumsy. However, if you look past this, she is a great fundamental player that works hard and loves the game. Basketball is her life, and I'm so excited that she finally has a chance to play in the state tournament to show what she can do! Roerich's stats are also great; She's a good 3-point shooter and she knows how to drive the lane (be an actress) and draw the foul. But she doesn't seem to play (good) defense. If she had Siri Burk's stealing/defensive skills, then I would respect her more.
As someone that has PLAYED against both players, I can tell you that absolutely NO one I know would say that Farroh has a bad attitude, but you can find plenty of people that hate playing against (and watching) Roerich and dealing with her attitude. Like others have said, she can't even take a foul without complaining, pulling up her shorts, or yelling at Flagan. It's weird.
The media probably won't even take the attitudes into consideration, but I wish they would. Also, I don't think past (state) tournament performance should be taken into consideration. The award is for THIS year.
Other than my comments about those two, this is probably the most stacked senior class in a couple of years with many players that you could argue deserve the award -most of them have been dominating since their freshman or senior year! I agree that the All-star game will be very entertaining!
dolly095
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Girls