The 2011 Conference Tournaments

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: The 2011 Conference Tournaments

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 am

wolves65 wrote:Bruin44, the first thing that Megan will have to learn is how to play defense when she goes to UND. The college game will be different and that will be a big adjustment. Good college players need to be good at both ends, she has the offense but will need work on the defense. Nice run by the south team but I would be scared of the 6 girl rotation next weekend. If Grand Forks would have quite trying to force it inside to Farroh all night and pushed the tempo of that game they would have gotten to South. You don't get tired on offense it is the defensive end that gets you.

What happened in the title game? Score?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby roundem6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:22 am

pretty much what wolves65 said..Central turned it over a lot trying to force it to Farroh, South played very well.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby annierebecca4252 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:51 am

I thought South turned it up a notch at the tournament this year. They definitely played like they have been there before. (Six EDC titles in a row!!) I thought Alyssa Dehne had the best individual effort of the tournament. She put that team on her back and carried them. (Doesn't hurt to have Larson on the squad either...)

As for State: I'm not sure North can win it but the other three all have a legitimate shot. South will be a team to be reckoned with if they play with the team toughness they displayed against Shanley and Central.
annierebecca4252
NDPreps Starter

Postby roundem6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 pm

7 seniors with 1000+ career points is very impressive.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 pm

roundem6 wrote:7 seniors with 1000+ career points is very impressive.

I have never seen a year in the EDC with so many great seniors! I believe its 8 seniors with over 1000 pts,
Roehrich and Fisher from South, Elshaug and Mertens from Devils Lake, Farroh from GF Central, Dehne from North, Holland from West Fargo and Carew from Shanley.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby yosports » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:57 pm

I don't remember hearing that Mertens had 1000 points. Did she? She played varsity for 4 years I know.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:28 am

yosports wrote:

I don't remember hearing that Mertens had 1000 points. Did she? She played varsity for 4 years I know.

Yes, Mertens reached 1000 about a month ago
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsguruguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 am

yosports wrote:You are right but a bad attitude is still hard to watch.
Roehrich is a good player but she expects to get a foul called on the defense every time she drives to the basket. And she throws her arms up into the air and jumps into the defender to make it look like she got a foul. Good actress and I'm sure that has been coached into her. That will end in college.

It was pretty pitiful last night when Roehrich threw a bad pass (because of getting double teamed by 2 Shanley girls) and then she went off on two of her teammates. And South had a lead then so it was so unncecessary for her to sit and chew out her teammates. I have seen that for years and it is sickening. She did it in Vb also.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about when it comes to the game of basketball. You need to get out of the state of North Dakota and watch other states play the game. Thats what good players do is draw fouls and get to the line. I realize that comment is just your opinion, but please know what your talking about before you post something so assanine!! For you people that says Megan will have to adjust to the college level for defense and attitude. In any sport defense is the easiest to coach, not offense. So meghan will be just fine. Shes giong to D-1 college for her scoring threat. As to the attitude, you people have no idea what G Roebuck is like. Did you see the fargo forum this morning. Positive UND knows what their getting out of Megan..
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby yosports » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:07 pm

sportsguruguy wrote:
yosports wrote:You are right but a bad attitude is still hard to watch.
Roehrich is a good player but she expects to get a foul called on the defense every time she drives to the basket. And she throws her arms up into the air and jumps into the defender to make it look like she got a foul. Good actress and I'm sure that has been coached into her. That will end in college.

It was pretty pitiful last night when Roehrich threw a bad pass (because of getting double teamed by 2 Shanley girls) and then she went off on two of her teammates. And South had a lead then so it was so unncecessary for her to sit and chew out her teammates. I have seen that for years and it is sickening. She did it in Vb also.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about when it comes to the game of basketball. You need to get out of the state of North Dakota and watch other states play the game. Thats what good players do is draw fouls and get to the line. I realize that comment is just your opinion, but please know what your talking about before you post something so assanine!! For you people that says Megan will have to adjust to the college level for defense and attitude. In any sport defense is the easiest to coach, not offense. So meghan will be just fine. Shes giong to D-1 college for her scoring threat. As to the attitude, you people have no idea what G Roebuck is like. Did you see the fargo forum this morning. Positive UND knows what their getting out of Megan..

You OBVIOUSLY did not read what I said. And you conveniently did not address my main point.
I know plenty about basketball, Mr sportsguruguy. I have coached it, played it and watched TONS of basketball. Even in other states, can you believe that?? And all levels of play, starting with kindergarten ball up to college and pro level. Boys and girls! Basketball is basketball. I know that good players drive to the basket and try to get to the foul line. You and I are not disagreeing about that.
My point was that it is hard to watch players who are drama queens. And there are tons of people on this site who seem to agree with me about certain players in this area who tend to do that, especially when they drive to the basket but also when they are dealing with their teammates, other players, refs, and their coach.

As far as "defense is the easiest to coach": I would disagree with you on that when it comes to coaching girls. Some girls are just by nature very timid and defense is hard to instill in them. Some girls are more aggressive by nature. It is easier to take some aggressiveness out of them that put it into them. That is what I have noticed coaching girls. And I have noticed that watching my daughters and other girls.
I don't know about boys but that is what I have noticed with girls.

By the way, I have a good idea what Gene R is like. . . I have watched him coach for years, I have had conversations with many of his players over the years and I have a good idea of what goes on in the locker room and at practices at UND --both the good and the bad. In fact I had a conversation just this winter with some UND players who said that Megan will not get away with some of her antics once she is at UND. However, both they and I think she will do OK once Gene tells her how it is.

So you DO know what Gene is like? Enlighten us all. . . I am not sure what you are getting at with all of this rheotoric. I did see the article about UND in the paper. Not sure your point. . .
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls