Parochial Powers

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Parochial Powers

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:58 pm

What does the one sport have to do with education? I bet over 25% of the schools in ND right now barely have 50 kids 9-12. Let's just shut them all down because ND education must have gone to heck and those kids won't get any jobs or be successful in college. Yeah right, they are the ones that most employers and colleges are after!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Indy5 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Region 1- Fargo Oak Grove- 195 (7-12) 32.5 kids per class
Region 2- Grafton- 265 (9-12) 66.25 kids per class
Region 3- Linton- 124 (9-12) 31 kids per class
Region 4- North Star- 82 (9-12) 20.5 kids per class
Region 5- Standing Rock- 238 (7-12) 39.67 kids per class
Region 6- Bishop Ryan- 251 (7-12) 41.83 kids per class
Region 7- Dickinson Trinity- 160 (7-12) 26.7 kids per class (I'm 99 percent sure this number is low)
Region 8- New Town- 215 (9-12) 53.75 kids per class

I don't think these enrollment numbers represent "Class B". Some of these schools have more kids in one class then most class b schools have in their entire high school. Just my two cents.

I think Ryan's numbers might be slightly high. I really don't think they have 40 kids per class.

Got these numbers out of the NDHSAA book.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:What does the one sport have to do with education? I bet over 25% of the schools in ND right now barely have 50 kids 9-12. Let's just shut them all down because ND education must have gone to heck and those kids won't get any jobs or be successful in college. Yeah right, they are the ones that most employers and colleges are after!

Thats because if the Small School is still Active than they best be offering as much or close to what the Bigs are getting, being it via the web or co-oping sports (neither happened back when) they got it going on as good as it can be and meeting the standards (I hope)...
I could give you a hundred examples of how students of small schools back when I was there were deprived of alot of extracurriculars and actual academics...Now? still some but alot less....point being, lets not hang on to the present (not even involving the past) to long, we may regret it in the future like I do now...Follow me partner? :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:43 am

heimer wrote:Too bad run. Talent pool of 100000+ means more than your technical enrollment.

Learn a lesson

I'll listen to a lesson...just not from you.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:47 pm

How much does it cost a family to attend a private school in ND? I know families who sacrafice a lot to send their kids to private schools, and it has nothing to do with sports. I also know that there are a lot of families who would love to send their kids to a private school so their kids could have some opportunities that they think are not easlily available at their current school, but can't afford it. So I don't think the availability of students to choose from to field athletic teams is that big.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 pm

These are the numbers that I could find:
Bismarck St. Mary's = $3700
Fargo Shanley = $5100
Fargo Oak Grove = $7920
Minot Ryan = $3300
Dickinson Trinity = $2870

I couldn't find Our Redeemers, Williston Trinity, or Shiloh Christian on their websites. These figures are also for students that are members of the churches associated with the school. If you are not a member or those parishes or a different denomination then the price is even higher
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cast3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:51 pm

At least you can respect Shanley for choosing to play Class A.

If you think there is no advantage coaching in a private school, you are confused.
cast3
NDPreps Starter

Postby footballchicken » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

I agree with the above statement 100%

In most cases - a group of basketball players at, lets say Oak Grove, or Trinity play basketball all year round, and that is the only sport they focus on. The football players play football, the tracksters focus on track and so and so on.

At 98.9% of Class B Schools, the starting five on the basketball floor are usually the best football, baseball and track athletes at that school as well. Doesnt seem that way at parochial schools.

IMO
Last edited by footballchicken on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 pm

That is exacty the way it is at the Parochial schools. Take a look at the rosters...you guys are wrong
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scruffy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:50 pm

I know Trinity's roster is full of two and in most cases three sport athletes. Numbers dictate that. There may be some public schools who use the open enrollment rules to load up in one particular sport but that's nearly impossible to do in a private school. I know both Trinity and Ryan are loaded with kids who have been in their school system since first grade. The bottom line is this. Both Ryan and Trinity should be congratulated on establishing two very successful programs just like any consistent program in the public ranks should be.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby larrybird33 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:02 pm

cast3 wrote:At least you can respect Shanley for choosing to play Class A.

If you think there is no advantage coaching in a private school, you are confused.

Fargo Shanley always had a class A sized enrollment. I think they are now very close to the A/B cutoff line of 325, but if they are above, they are not making a 'choice' at all.

I think Bismarck St. Mary's is actually in an opt-up situation. I think they are slightly below 325 but they still play A.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:54 pm

footballchicken wrote:In most cases - a group of basketball players at, lets say Oak Grove, or Trinity play basketball all year round, and that is the only sport they focus on. The football players play football, the tracksters focus on track and so and so on.

At 98.9% of Class B Schools, the starting five on the basketball floor are usually the best football, baseball and track athletes at that school as well. Doesnt seem that way at parochial schools.

IMO

The IMO at the end of your post bothers me. When it comes to topics like this, I myself have no interest in opinions... only facts. Let's try and get some. Below are the 15 names on Dickinson Trinity's roster. The names I recognize from watching the broadcast today are in bold. Can someone who is a Trinity support please respond to this telling us which of these kids only play basketball, and which ones are in multiple sports? If they are, what other sports? Are they any good at those sports?

10 Michael Mann
12 Alex Klug
14 Brandon Sickler
20 Mason Schiff
22 Scott Gordon
24 Dylan Fridrich
30 Dustin Hibl
32 Christian Olson
34 Jacob Volk

40 Timothy Brooke
42 Andrew Klein
44 Jalen Lee
50 Austin Gawryluk
52 Isiah Binstock
54 Jesse Kubik
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tdog09 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 pm

NDplayin wrote:
footballchicken wrote:In most cases - a group of basketball players at, lets say Oak Grove, or Trinity play basketball all year round, and that is the only sport they focus on. The football players play football, the tracksters focus on track and so and so on.

IMO

The IMO at the end of your post bothers me. When it comes to topics like this, I myself have no interest in opinions... only facts. Let's try and get some. Below are the 15 names on Dickinson Trinity's roster. The names I recognize from watching the broadcast today are in bold. Can someone who is a Trinity support please respond to this telling us which of these kids only play basketball, and which ones are in multiple sports? If they are, what other sports? Are they any good at those sports?

10 Michael Mann
12 Alex Klug
14 Brandon Sickler
20 Mason Schiff
22 Scott Gordon
24 Dylan Fridrich
30 Dustin Hibl
32 Christian Olson
34 Jacob Volk

40 Timothy Brooke
42 Andrew Klein
44 Jalen Lee
50 Austin Gawryluk
52 Isiah Binstock
54 Jesse Kubik

Andrew Klein is the only 1 sport athlete. Klug and Mann are 2 sport athletes and the rest are 3 sport athletes
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tdog09 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Gordon is only 2 sports, didn't play football this year much to his uncle's (the head coach) chagrin
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby T$$ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:06 am

I hate to bring this up but you ALL are basically making the case for a 3 class system. The parochial schools would get dominated in class a with a few exceptions. However it is not fair (especially Bismarck and Fargo parochials to play against small schools. Can you imagine Shiloh playing BHS yearly? Also not fair or fun for anyone. St. Marys can't even get enough kids for a sophmore and jv team so the kids all have 2 play 3 halves.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby footballchicken » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:30 am

NDplayin wrote:

IMO

10 Michael Mann
12 Alex Klug
14 Brandon Sickler
20 Mason Schiff
22 Scott Gordon
24 Dylan Fridrich
30 Dustin Hibl
32 Christian Olson
34 Jacob Volk

40 Timothy Brooke
42 Andrew Klein
44 Jalen Lee
50 Austin Gawryluk
52 Isiah Binstock
54 Jesse Kubik

Sorry that my opinion bothers you - that is what message boards are for...opinions.

Anyway, all i was saying is that over the years it has seemed like the majority of parochial schools have one sport athletes - Trinity is probably an exception right now and maybe all the schools right now are balanced out more. My overall view from seeing many years of parochial teams gave me this impression

Congrats to Trinity, tough one for Oak Grove
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:50 am

T$$ wrote:I hate to bring this up but you ALL are basically making the case for a 3 class system. The parochial schools would get dominated in class a with a few exceptions. However it is not fair (especially Bismarck and Fargo parochials to play against small schools. Can you imagine Shiloh playing BHS yearly? Also not fair or fun for anyone. St. Marys can't even get enough kids for a sophmore and jv team so the kids all have 2 play 3 halves.

North star is making a better case for the two class system.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 am

T$$ wrote:I hate to bring this up but you ALL are basically making the case for a 3 class system. The parochial schools would get dominated in class a with a few exceptions. However it is not fair (especially Bismarck and Fargo parochials to play against small schools. Can you imagine Shiloh playing BHS yearly? Also not fair or fun for anyone. St. Marys can't even get enough kids for a sophmore and jv team so the kids all have 2 play 3 halves.

Then St. Mary's kids are lucky that their younger players get so much play time, and many Shiloh parents would probably still be proud of their school if they had to play, but struggle in Class A. I think a kid should feel fortunate for the opportunity to take the court, and play. If the scoreboard dictates their opinion of themselves, then so be it.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wildcat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 pm

footballchicken wrote:I agree with the above statement 100%

In most cases - a group of basketball players at, lets say Oak Grove, or Trinity play basketball all year round, and that is the only sport they focus on. The football players play football, the tracksters focus on track and so and so on.

IMO

Ya know, I know it's your opinion and everything, but I think you just found what you thought was a good point and decided to say it.

Dickinson Trinity's not like that. Minot Ryan is not like that. Almost ALL of Ryan's basketball roster plays at least two sports, many of them play baseball. The logic of it doesn't make sense either.

Why would private schools who have the same or smaller enrollment like Ryan and Trinity (opposed to schools like Grafton, Bottineau, Hazen, Beulah) have more 1-sport athletes?

So Dickinson Trinity with an enrollment let's say around 175 would have MORE 1-sport athletes than Central Cass, who may have 230 kids? And the schools over 200 kids make up more than 1.1 percent of the Class B population in the state.

I think you're from a really small Class B school, and I don't think you've done too much homework.

IMO
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby footballchicken » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Your right...IMO
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm

larrybird33 wrote:

Just think how many square miles these alphabet schools can draw from! Is that fair????
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:23 pm

But what's the population density in all those square miles? Not much! I have no problem with the private schools, though.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 am

scruffy wrote:
larrybird33 wrote:

Just think how many square miles these alphabet schools can draw from! Is that fair????

Have you ever been to some of the alphabet schools? They are dying towns and the farms are becoming giant (not many "small family farms" anymore).
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:44 am

The Schwab wrote:
scruffy wrote:
larrybird33 wrote:

Have you ever been to some of the alphabet schools? They are dying towns and the farms are becoming giant (not many "small family farms" anymore).

I think he may have been be sarcastic.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Just got back from the state tourney. Fun time. Enjoyed Minot and congrats to all teams. Had an opportunity to sit back and watch the coaches, players and fans for every game. Really is a special time.
After this weekend, my opinions have softened on this topic. The advantage that private schools have is their ability to "reload" their programs faster with quality athletes. The smaller schools seem to have their run of athletes, and then will be done for a number of years. This has been brought up many times and I agree with it. However, it doesn't mean that the privates are dynasties in the making. To do what Northstar (and many other teams over the years) has done, takes 12 years of boys being brothers. When a special group of athletes grow up together in small towns, they forge a bond that seems to overcome some teams that may have superior athletes, but may not have achieved the chemistry that it takes to win it all. This happens year in and year out with all schools in the tournament. Athletes will come and go, but the chemistry is what makes great teams. I was very impressed with the athletes, cheering sections and fans of Oak Grove, Dickinson Trinity and Bishop Ryan, as for all teams. Once again, congrats to all teams that made it there.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics